• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Day 4
45 minutes of whatever
sD3Y8yL.jpg

I want to draw anime characters, are there tutorials out there for drawing anime characters? Some of the drawings I've seen looks awesome.

Looking up DeviantArt tutorials will probably help.

There's a shitload of physical "how to draw anime and manga" books, too, with varying quality. Just go to a local craft store like Michael's or a bookstore.

Loxley

I want to draw anime characters, are there tutorials out there for drawing anime characters? Some of the drawings I've seen looks awesome.

I would highly recommend you check out Mark Criley's YouTube channel. He has a lot of tutorials for aspiring manga/anime artists.

Looking up DeviantArt tutorials will probably help.

There's a shitload of physical "how to draw anime and manga" books, too, with varying quality. Just go to a local craft store like Michael's or a bookstore.

Loxley said:
I would highly recommend you check out Mark Criley's YouTube channel. He has a lot of tutorials for aspiring manga/anime artists.

oh I checked out one of Mark Crilley's video on how to draw people kiss, it was amazing. I checked out this book called "Mastering Manga with Mark Crilley: 30 drawing lessons from the creator of Akiko", do you recommend me getting this book because I just want to draw anime characters and I don't plan on making comics.

Beats

Around 10 minutes.

I'd recommend finding artists you really like that draw anime characters very well, grab a figure drawing book (Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing: Design and Invention is good) and try to mimic their sketches or whatever for practice. Then try to make your own stuff. It might be a bad idea because there's a possibility of picking up their mistakes, but I found I progressed pretty quickly by doing this (I still have a lot to learn though but yeah..).

I'd recommend finding artists you really like that draw anime characters very well, grab a figure drawing book (Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing: Design and Invention is good) and try to mimic their sketches or whatever for practice. Then try to make your own stuff. It might be a bad idea because there's a possibility of picking up their mistakes, but I found I progressed pretty quickly by doing this (I still have a lot to learn though but yeah..).

I'll see to that, thank you. I don't know if I have a favorite artist.

C.B.

Took a day off working for commissions to do some more robo practice.

Secretary robo-gone-construction-worker spots gucci bags on sale while shopping on their day off. Was hoping to do more than one today but I kind of got caught up. Soi really don't remember how long I was working on it, but a few hours at least (mostly cleaning up the line work).

Prax

Anime Redraw thing!

Lina Inverse and Xellos from Slayers.
anime_redraw__slayers_by_meibatsu-d6n7vqg.png

I don't really love the way my style is, especially when I "default" and it just looks like weird generic trash, but tadaaa... lol
If I were to refine it more in "the style I want to be more like" it'd just take longer. Maybe next time!

5ish hours in Paint Tool SAI.

MikeDown

Banned
It has been a little while, work has been busy and I don't have as much free time as I did.

Here is one i did today, took about 3hrs in Gimp, using a Tursion tablet.

With this picture I wanted a compromise between sexy and shyness, those two attributes reflect her character in the story im writing. Underneath is a catsuit, with thigh boots. Alone I feel those two articles of clothing are too pigheaded, I didn't want to turn her into a sex object, that is why I added the overly large sweatshirt. It tames it down to a certain extent; adding a persona/hint of shyness. reflecting her character.

426_max.jpg

Lots of great works in this thread.

Since I can't post work I did today (for client), I will post a youtube video of a car sketch I did while back. Sorry about the audio garble.

C.B.

Okay, uh, this might not be the best place to ask this, but I have some serious color profile issues:

The one in the middle is photoshop (and the colors i'd like.) The ones on the right and left is what happens when I save as PNG (or any other format, for that matter.)

They are the exact same file, opened in windows fax viewer and chrome. SAME FILE.

I know it's a color profile thing... but I'm kinda lost. Maybe someone here knows what the issue is? Or knows a good guide I can follow to make sure I don't get the janky stuff?

We won't actually be able to see it on our own monitors, because what you have posted is one image and the entire image is one colour profile. In order for someone to see it on their monitor, you would have to take a photo to show us. That's because all the colour number in the file are the same and our monitors will just tell us to display those colours.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Adobe is able to show a larger gamut of colours than most programs (the Adobe RGB working space shows more than the typical sRGB, where most computer programs only recognise sRGB.

Someone may know better though.

Made another robo today. Wanted to do something that looked less human.

I think about 3/4 hours total drawing time. I really need to start focusing better though, and stop messing around when drawing. Really slacking in the speed department. Think I might try something on a larger scale next...maybe.

MikeDown

Banned
This one took me around 2-4hrs, didn't actually keep track. This is another character from my story, he is black and three days away from retirement, he totally wont die.

578_max.jpg

MikeDown

Banned
Do you have a link to your story?
When writing, I decided to create an outline of what would happen in each chapter, I mean like a really detailed outline. Spent better part of a year, getting things way I want em, making sure I introduced setting/characters, captured reader's attention, scanned for any gaps in logic or plotholes, character development and that sorta thing. I just started with an actual rough, draft. And I have sorta been putting writing off more infavor of trying to draw the characters and such.

At the moment I have little written, so it will be a short read. I'll get a link up, post some of it along w/ some lore/codex info on the setting; decided to type a codex so I could have a quick reference when writing.

MikeDown

Banned
Didn't have a whole lot of time today, plus I did something to my arm, pulled it or sprained it or something, moving it back and forth is painful so I only did a quick doodle.

Took about 15mins.
570_max.jpg

Top Bottom