• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

LegendX48

I think you should just try studying perspective and figure/gestures, one of your older posts had the desire for full figure drawings too, right? Especially if you feel stuck, there are a few good and simple figure drawing tutorials, which helped me getting started, like Cubebrush's. Part 2 is the important one.

And don't be so hard on yourself man, see it for what it is, progress. Whatever you do, don't get stuck. :)

I've been checking out new tutorials on how to do the facial features lately but I wanted to try something very different and it pales in comparison to the last two things I posted in this thread >.>

trying to salvage and redo parts of it right now but I'll check that video afterward.

It's incredibly difficult when you first make the switch, I tried it a couple years ago and just cringe thinking about it. It just takes time and studying; color and shading knowledge being most important for this.

-some Steven Universe to get back into the daily grind

I don't know if I'll switch over to doing things this way completely but I wouldn't mind being competent at it. I seriously need to just take a class or something on lighting (and, by extension, shading), it's my weakest area by far.

LegendX48

welp...

painted_girl_v2_by_mrunfortunate-d8nsh4d.png

bleh.

I needs my line art lol

huh... her jaw is all kinds of messed up looking... nope, must not fidget with it more, it is done....

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, going lineless/full blown digital painting is a really tough jump. IMO it's a good idea to try doing lineart alone -> coloring under lineart -> painting greyscale (value only) -> full color painting. If I haven't painted in a while it always helps me to build up that way, doing a few pieces in that progression.

Something messier today...

6th, this probably fitted the art challenge thread better than the one I submitted, and this one took me 20 minutes, lol.

I've been checking out new tutorials on how to do the facial features lately but I wanted to try something very different and it pales in comparison to the last two things I posted in this thread >.>

When you try something new, it doesn't always go right, just takes a couple more tries. We learn from our mistakes, the more we make, the more we learn, well hopefully. :p

East Lake

trying to salvage and redo parts of it right now but I'll check that video afterward.

I don't know if I'll switch over to doing things this way completely but I wouldn't mind being competent at it. I seriously need to just take a class or something on lighting (and, by extension, shading), it's my weakest area by far.
Do the Charles Bargue studies I linked you to a while ago.

They were good enough for Van Gogh. ;)

LegendX48

I know I said I wouldn't mess with it anymore, but...

...okay, now its time to move on. Hopefully I'll have something better up before the day's over.

When you try something new, it doesn't always go right, just takes a couple more tries. We learn from our mistakes, the more we make, the more we learn, well hopefully. :p

I suppose, I hate messing things up though, first try or not.

Do the Charles Bargue studies I linked you to a while ago.

They were good enough for Van Gogh. ;)

I'll have to take a look through those again and probably just sit down and actually do them sometime soon, but busywork... >.>

East Lake

I'll have to take a look through those again and probably just sit down and actually do them sometime soon, but busywork... >.>
They look extremely hard to draw and they are to some degree but if you download them all it actually starts off more easily where the shadows are simple and so are the shapes.

For example the third plate.

AI5egsC.jpg

I feel you, I really wanted to do line-less for a while because I hate doing line art, just take your time and have fun with it. Lighting is only something I've recently begun to understand, truly a beast of it's own, so good luck and don't get discouraged!

Yeah, going lineless/full blown digital painting is a really tough jump. IMO it's a good idea to try doing lineart alone -> coloring under lineart -> painting greyscale (value only) -> full color painting. If I haven't painted in a while it always helps me to build up that way, doing a few pieces in that progression.

Something messier today...

Fully agree. I was tired of line art and just felt limited, so I wanted to try sketch-painting in greyscale to alleviate the process. Ended up with enough experience to try color painting and I will never go back.

-fiddling with Garnet, slowly getting better with colors

In hype for the Direct, drew my favorite gaming lady (Pre-Other M anyway...)
They better announce that new Metroid already (I haven't watched it yet so if they did announce it, :D )

-they didn't announce it nooooo

Jhoan

lookin good :)

Oh you, thanks. :D

Been drawing some stuff but I haven't photographed it. Here's a digital painting I just did. Was going to do a line art base under drawing in a separate layer and paint from there but like PfancyPantz, I decided to let go of all that stuff and just paint. It feels liberating doing that since it reminds me of when I would paint abstract paintings with that mentality. I actually with a couple of other digital paintings with that mentality as well (examples below).
And examples where I made an under drawing as a base to paint on top without paying attention to anatomy/proportion(read: my imagination). I have a penchant for layering colors.

Prax

Some artblock as of late so.. I draw whatever. lol
(mostly promotional stuff for comic I'm working on with a friend!)

Fan response:
tumblr_nmbiqpHEpy1tt4f8io1_1280.jpg

Extra story stuff/jokes:
awkward____by_meibatsu-d8ohghs.jpg

~1 hour each?

EDIT: And this thing that shows my inability to draw my own character's hair at different angles lol
3 hours!!!!!

PreFire

You should make an adult coloring book with drawings like this.

image_by_rell7thirty-d8osi4q.jpg

I finished the line work (added no bowser logo, buttons on Luigi, minor tweaks)

I'm coloring it now, but I'd love to see what you come up with. Feel free to color it then post :)

LegendX48

Was planning on just doodling up a random character based on this pic but changed my mind midway through and decided to just try and draw it... it went... decently? When I grab pics for reference I never actually do so with the intent of redrawing the pic itself, just using the facial features and general structure to make something different.

Oh, and I keep doing anime eyes and I don't know why @_@

Damn, I wish I was skilled enough to draw like everyone here. Some good stuff in this thread lol

Would be slick if someone wanted to draw my avatar in whatever style they felt would be cool :B

Jhoan

Damn, I wish I was skilled enough to draw like everyone here. Some good stuff in this thread lol

Would be slick if someone wanted to draw my avatar in whatever style they felt would be cool :B

Wish no more my friend. You should step into this thread to develop those skills some more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1010752

In regards to your request, I might take you up on that and do a quick digital paint before knocking out for the night.

I've been feeling so unmotivated to post stuff to my Tumblr since I've focused on the act of drawing itself. Been working on stuff. Some digital, some tradititonal. Here's a few of the latter. Updated a few drawings I started:

I've never digitally ink/painted any of my past or recent drawings even though I've been scanning drawings left and right. I'm slightly adverse to it but at the same have a curiosity to digitally enhance them at some point.

The last drawing is a WIP that I started a few weeks ago and finally refined on Tuesday and yesterday. Been in the mood for drawing bad ass women. That cat needs to be refined and adding more stuff plus eventually plan to ink it, sign it, and scan it. Gotta love being scatter brained with a bunch of unfinished WIP drawings.

People like drawing here and uh, well, all of yall should participate in the awesome art challenge thread that has picked up again.

Just, ya know, an advertisement and begging because I think the thread series can be awesome. Just need more of you talented peeps to get in on it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022719

So ya know just want it to get out there. The thread series picked up again with #10 and I don't wanna see it die so soon. :(

Thanks. Keep up the awesome drawing and stuff. :D

PreFire

I've tried. Started with this:

And ended with this:

It was pretty fun. Also a bit more challenging than I expected.
Here's what I did.
I tried to makes her bathroom as girly as possible. I could've went lighter with the floor color
image_by_rell7thirty-d8p439z.jpg

Top Bottom