• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Added a new trend graph

0uN8RZz.png

nampad

Seems like my vote wasn't count. I can't see Football Manager Classic 2014 (Vita) anywhere :(

I think I did everything right.

Great year for Nintendo! Sunset in the top 15 was good to see, but it should still be higher. I don't really see the distinction between Smash/Forza either, but I didn't vote for Forza anyway so eh. Is it just that Smash has "for" in the title?

Jamix012

Great year for Nintendo! Sunset in the top 15 was good to see, but it should still be higher. I don't really see the distinction between Smash/Forza either, but I didn't vote for Forza anyway so eh. Is it just that Smash has "for" in the title?

Pretty much. They probably weren't able to tell the difference between Forza's in the ballot, wheras the Smash's actually have different names.

You forgot to put: "As long as they're exclusive to the underdog console of the generation and help me justify my fanboyism" in there.

Does his ballot even qualify for the >50% Nintendo arbitrary list?

CONGRATS to all the teams who were awarded a GAF GOTY appearance! Thanks for making 2014 another great year for gaming. Looking forward to 2015

Also, Dat Nintendo Top 10 domination.

Seems like my vote wasn't count. I can't see Football Manager Classic 2014 (Vita) anywhere :(

I did everything right.

It was counted, Football Manager Classic 2014 was a rerelease and therefore not counted in the main list. It ended up with 4 pts, (55th place among rereleases, 47th among Vita games). You can see for yourself in the goty-rereleases.txt or goty-consoles.txt.

Megatron

Disappointed but not surprised Second Son is over Sunset. I suppose I could take solace in the fact that it was so close despite the NeoGAF PS4 install base being so large in comparison to the X1, but ehh.

That's what the high quality and passion awards are for. They take that into account. SO was 12 in high quality and 9 in passion. SS didn't make either list.

Hold on, GAF voted Journey GOTY? Really? o_O

In the same year as hotline miami and kid icarus, no less.

Makes sense though, both of those have very big things that prevent them from getting votes they need (kid icarus has a massive learning curve and it's on a handheld, hotline is short, pretentious, offensive, and has no budget).

Journey was easy enough, "artsy" enough, good looking and sounding, and had a publisher showing it off everywhere.

Hence, popularity contest.

IKizzLE

As much as I would like that to happen, I don't think it cracks top 5 (unless Persona 5 is just terrible, then it has a shot, but I'm not counting on that).

I'd be shocked to see it make top 10 this year.

BloodBorne
Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Zelda
Halo 5
Persona 5
Battlefront
MGSV
Several Unannounced Games

geordiemp

So we're beginning Stage 1: Denial and Isolation. Next is going to come Anger. Then we're going to start bargaining "if only other people voted," "if only other games weren't broken on release". Depression will come next. Then, finally, acceptance. At this point one might actually ask themselves "should I buy a Wii U?".

This is okay. We're here for you. We're all in this together.

Add Sales to that... and that'd be a damn fine analysis to read. Hmmm...

Really, WiiU wins every online voting, whether is E3 or whatever that WiiU 'won', does not make it popular or desired. Why is that ?

My theory is the console is doing so bad their supporters go out of their way to vote in such things to try an get the console noticed. The game that 'won' sold 135, 000. OK.

Don't think it will make any difference personally, and nobody will notice..

Should I bys a WiiU ? I wont buy a console that is just above last gen with no support, will consider a Nintendo console if they come up with something better which is often discussed on GAF as coming 'soon'. It would have to appeal to mass audience (my son is 11, he does not know the WiiU exists, Wii is packed away in loft).

After Ps4 will probably have to consider a Gaming PC unles Nintendo comes up with the goods (all consoles should be 1080p standard imo)

Do you think it will revitalise the WiiU ?

I really don't mind online votes, its the daft interpretation of the posts like its a sudden kick start for a game or a consoles fortunes that is really funny.

Owwari

Banned
Does his ballot even qualify for the >50% Nintendo arbitrary list?

Maybe, maybe not.
On topic, I'm glad Bayonetta finally gets the praise it deserved. It's just a little funny that it had to land on the WiiU to get to the hype point, since both games are pretty similar.

Cream

Banned

BloodBorne
Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Zelda
Halo 5
Persona 5
Battlefront
MGSV

Depending on the quality Xenoblade might have the potential to beat out maybe...Batman and Battlefront. In terms of Popularity at least. That's just my guess.

boingball

Wii U domination. Not very surprising though, the other two consoles have a very slow start.

I haven't played any game in the Top 12, this must be a first.

Jamix012

Maybe, maybe not.
On topic, I'm glad Bayonetta finally gets the praise it deserved. It's just a little funny that it had to land on the WiiU to get to the hype point, since both games are pretty similar.

They're similar but B2 is a MUCH better game in my eyes just by refining the B1 formula. Nothing made me more angry and frustrated than losing a life to quicktime events in B1. I also preferred the story, presentation, exploration aspect, character/enemy design and just general feel of controlling Bayo. On their own those factors don't mean much, but put together it makes for a significantly more satisfying game.

BloodBorne
Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Zelda
Halo 5
Persona 5
Battlefront
MGSV
It's #7 on the most anticipated list, I doubt it falls out of the top 10 entirely even if some games move above it.

Massa

I guess I should give Bayonetta another shot (tried the demo twice on PS3, was not a fan of it).

Is the Bayonetta 1 + 2 pack a limited offer? And did they change the art style of the original on the Wii U re-release?

Anyway, congrats to all the winners!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm only on seven people's affinity lists =( I feel so alone in my gaming tastes.

Meanwhile, BY2K is on 74 people's affinity lists! Crazy. He's a man of the people.

I guess I should give Bayonetta another shot (tried the demo twice on PS3, was not a fan of it).

Is the Bayonetta 1 + 2 pack a limited offer? And did they change the art style of the original on the Wii U re-release?

Anyway, congrats to all the winners!

I don't think it's a limited offer, but since it only sold about 135,000 copies in the U.S. through Dec. 31, it might become a bit rare as time goes on (I doubt they'll do a second printing).

The art style was not changed in B1. They added some unlockable Nintendo-themed costumes, that's about it.

Busaiku

Uncharted/Bloodborne/MGSV vs Zelda?

My money is on one of the first two, though maybe history will repeat itself and MGSV will create mountains of salt like the previous game.

Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fire Emblem if definitely have a good shot of making it based on results of previous entries.
Splatoon and Majora's Mask 3D as well, given the hype around them.

CHC

Goddamn, that Wii U DOMINATION.

Just received mine last night from UPS! Talk about a good confirmation of purchase....

mgcastro

Nice list. Happy seeing DK up there. Wondering who'll grab this years #1, should be veeery close and more difficult than 2014.

Tomohawk

I wanted to get a wii u for Bayo 2 and Smash, but all the refurbs on Nintendo's Canadian site are sold out. Also would have liked to see Banner Saga higher, but its short length and simplistic combat probably hindered it.

Gartooth

BloodBorne
Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Zelda
Halo 5
Persona 5
Battlefront
MGSV

I think it might actually have a chance at top 10 since it hit #7 on Most Anticipated. Plus, the original Xenoblade was really held back on GoTY threads since it released a separate year in each major territory and had such a limited release in America. But regardless I think Zelda will be Nintendo's frontrunner unless Splatoon is some revelatory masterpiece.

Anyway for fun, my bets for top 5 in no particular order are Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Zelda, Witcher 3, and MGS V. Edit: Completely forgot about MGSV, sorry Persona. :p

geordiemp

Oh, look who's here! Still waiting for Nintendo to go 3rd party? You're missing on great games, you see?

Still, where's ninjablade? The sea is not full without him.

Don't want Nintendo to go third party, never have. If they make a better hardware console I would consider it. Same goes for MS.

Recent consoles I have is Wii then Ps3, 360 and Ps4, so I have no allegiances to any manufacturer.

Very nice list. No qualms here. I really need to pick up Bayonetta 2 though. Pretty much doing myself a disservice by not playing it.

Thanks timetokill and Cheesemeister (and everyone else) for all the time and effort that you put in. It's very much appreciated.

The more I think about it the more sad I get that Divinity placed so low. Especially when it does literally everything better than Dragon Age.

Nintendo killed it this year.

I'm disappointed that Sunset Overdrive didn't crack the top ten though. I hope that there is a sequel one day but it seems unlikely.

Top Bottom