• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

GamerJM

Banned
Great work guys! Lots of data provided for us, looks like it was a ton of work.

Great list too. I wish I could see what others see in the Bayonetta games though. I'm halfway through the first one right now, playing it on and off and....it's not really grabbing me at all :\. It's hard to think that the second one could be one of my favorite games of the year if it's ostensibly more of the same but better.

Banned
Damn, I knew Nintendo would do well, but I thought Dragon Age would win GOTY. Great year for Nintendo and lol at the point drop off of publisher appearances on the ballots.

Great work guys! Lots of data provided for us, looks like it was a ton of work.

Great list too. I wish I could see what others see in the Bayonetta games though. I'm halfway through the first one right now, playing it on and off and....it's not really grabbing me at all :. It's hard to think that the second one could be one of my favorite games of the year if it's ostensibly more of the same but better.

You could just not like character action games. It's okay if it isn't for you.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Congratulations to GAF on getting it right once again. I see Journey is still makin em mad 2 years later.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I would have liked to see Divinity in the top 10 and DK should be higher, but otherwise it's pretty solid (excluding Dragon Age).

2014 was a really great year for video games. I still can't decide which one I enjoyed the most.

RK9039

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144032380&postcount=748

The League of Delicious Gentlemen.

triple-h-nod.gif

GamerJM

Banned
You could just not like character action games. It's okay if it isn't for you.

Maybe, this is the first one I'm playing. It's strange though, it seems like a genre that I should like but I dunno, there's just not enough variety in what you do I guess. And also, the thing is that I do like it, I just don't love it.

Saddest part of this whole thing is that Nintendo is putting out the best stuff, but continues to do the worst sales-wise. And I don't see that changing.

spekkeh

Banned
Pretty much my only problem with the list. In a year with the best RPG's in a long time, they all lose to Bioware because they aren't on console.
I'm positive the majority of PC gamers voted DA:I too. This has nothing to do with any perceived inferior taste based on hardware, but simply that the kind of crpg championed here is incredibly niche.

I had Dragon Age on my personal list, and then I got around to Divinity and Shadowrun. Saw what I was missing. Took Dragon Age straight to honorable mentions.

Silky

Banned
Why does that mean this doesn't
work? Because people have different preferences?

Has nothing to do with preferences. Exposure really. You can look at the previous GOTY titles and see that those games were exposed a lot more than smaller titles like Divinity. I can't even call Journey an anomaly because that shit was pimped up and down by sony.

When you have a small scale, independent developed, crowdfunded(?) title that's only on PC and released with little to no fanfare outside of backers(?) then yeah, you're not winning any awards outside of obscure choices.

A year where Hotline Miami came out of fucking nowhere and everyone praised the shit out of it being hailed for nearly every checkmark in the book. You kknow what game bested it? Fucking /Journey./

2015 is going to be amazing for independent-developed videogames. Too bad MGS5 and Persona 5 will be out that year lolllllll

--

2012 was the year I really stopped caring about overral GOTYs. That being said I'm satisfied with this one because unlike other (bad) games, Bayo 2 is a hallmark of fucking quality. I'd argue that it's an objectively good game. Like there are no faults to it.

/salt

Really my only complaint about the list would be that more people should have played Talos Principle. It was far and away the best puzzle game last year. I love Threes and Captain Toad, but in terms of original ideas and experience, it's not even close.

AHA-Lambda

My Top 10:

1. Dark Souls 2 (5)
2. The Wolf Among Us (29)
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth (8)
4. Alien: Isolation (11)
5. Wolfenstein: The New Order (7)
6. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (49)
7. Consortium (190)
8. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (22)
9. Wasteland 2 (46)
10. Murdered: Soul Suspect (156)

2 games out of the top 100!

My Affinity:

What do the numbers in brackets mean?

Azuran

Banned
The only GOTY awards I care about. So happy to see MK8 rank ahead of Smash. I love both, but KartGAF is one of the best communities I had the pleasure to be part of, so I like it a little bit more because of that.

I didn't bother to vote because I only played like 5 games from last year.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Once you play Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 back to back you realize that, although it's not obvious at the first glance, Bayo 2 is a better game. All the small improvement in the animations, bosses, graphics makes it a much better experience overall. It's just more fluid, it's like the combos feel more like combos (I don't know how to explain this better than this). And you notice this even more when you try to get back at Bayo 1 and it feels suddenly just almost perfect.

spekkeh

Banned
1. Mario Kart 8 [2]
2. Bayonetta 2 [1]
3. The Last of Us Left Behind [26]
4. Shadow of Mordor [9]
5. This war of mine [60]
6. South Park [8]
7. Dragon Age [4]

Phew luckily I decided to be a bit highbrow with This war of mine, or I should've changed my name to john doe / regular joe.

Dispatch

In my haste, I did forget to thank everyone who helped put this together. I'm sure it was a staggering amount of work and it's much appreciated.

Cream

Banned
I could not disagree more. I've heard that Bayo 2, which I agree is great, was also more focused and better for it. My whole train of thought while playing it personally was "where is the humor, where are the over the top mini games, side missions...." Etc. it felt like a stripped down version of Bayo 1. I felt Bayo 1 had a more memorable personality to it. I did not once think back in 2010 while playingn Bayo 1 that "oh this needs to go". I was loving every moment of it.

And I feel the exact opposite. I've played both games a lot, B1 5 times and B2 6. There are plenty of moments from B1 that could be improved on or taken out.

There is not a single thing in B2 that should be changed

Why does that mean this doesn't work? Because people have different preferences?

No, because as Silky stated above, despite quality, it appeals to such a small audience that there's no way it has a chance to win what is a popularity contest. A GAF popularity contest, but a popularity contest nontheless. Divinity, despite being hailed by WRPG enthusiasts as totally hot shit, had no exposure and was exclusive to one console. This poll doesn't really account for things like that.

Silky

Banned
There is not a single thing in B2 that should be changed

Jeanne looks atrocious in Bayo 2. Short haired Jeanne ftw

No, because as Silky stated above, despite quality, it appeals to such a small audience that there's no way it has a chance to win what is a popularity contest. A GAF popularity contest, but a popularity contest nontheless. Divinity, despite being hailed by WRPG enthusiasts as totally hot shit, had no exposure and was exclusive to one console. This poll doesn't really account for things like that.

Let's be real, even if Divinity was on consoles, it'd have to be on the correct console
sass1.png

Or an incredibly vocal (for all of the wrong reasons) audience
sass2.png

2013 trumps it by far.

For Nintendo fans it was a good year but that's really it.

Not even that, considering that despite the quality, the top games also merely are all the worthwhile Nintendo games from last year to begin with. Which means, WiiU droughts up to 5 months between these titles happened (and god forbid you actually don't like one or two of these games) and 3DS dropped the ball significantly compared to 2013. Not a very good year all around. Thankfully this one seems better, I might have to get two new machines (New3DS, and maybe whatever PS4 bundle comes in)

Top Bottom