• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Megatron

No, because as Silky stated above, despite quality, it appeals to such a small audience that there's no way it has a chance to win what is a popularity contest. A GAF popularity contest, but a popularity contest nontheless. Divinity, despite being hailed by WRPG enthusiasts as totally hot shit, had no exposure and was exclusive to one console. This poll doesn't really account for things like that.

It does actually. That's what the quality and passion lists are for it comes in third on the quality list.

Regiruler

You might not notice because PC GAF has healthy threads and healthy contribution, but looking at the overall stats, GAF has always been a US-based console forum first and foremost. That's usually reflected in polls that include so many of the members and not just a sub-segment.
Haunted
fucking PCs.they're useless!

Sweet Ivy

>= 50% Nintendo Exclusive: 21.21771% (230)
>= 80% Nintendo Exclusive: 5.073801% (55)
100% Nintendo Exclusive: 2.02952% (22)
It's pretty clear that those that play Nintendo are very loyal, they are also, at times, very vocal on NeoGAF.
It's not a critic, nor a compliment, more like a matter of fact :).

wildfire

Banned
Good point, Bayo's sales were atrocious. I guess every last Nintendo fan left in the world is on GAF after all.

One thing that I have found weird on this forum is the sense I've been getting that a lot of people who go to this forum buy more than 1 console within 2 years of the same generation.

That really doesn't feel normal to me because before I came to GAF most people were talking about console gaming sort of like an investment. Affording more than 1 wasn't feasible and as a result it heightened the tensions over console exclusiveness.

Considering how poorly Nintendo is selling in general I feel this maybe a major difference about what makes the more vocal members of GAF unique.

My Dragon Age write-up got on the list! That was one of the worst written ones! Yay!

Shout-out to UberTag, Simzyy and MichaelEM3 for having sorta similar lists to me, I guess.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Even if the direction Nintendo has moved in recent years isn't as much catered to my tastes as it used to be, I can never disagree with their games being rated so highly. This list is pretty telling and makes me even more excited to eventually get a Wii U this year.

redcrayon

meh list. exclusives always seem to always come out on top here on neogaf, and i already know why.
Almost every major game on the WiiU is exclusive to it. Seems a bit harsh to cry conspiracy about it.

I don't remember either Portal 2 or Mass Effect 2 being exclusives either, and of the exclusives that have won in recent years, you'd have a hard job saying that they weren't worthy winners. It's not like gaf opinion falls wildly out of sync with review scores.

VICI0US

happy to see DKC: TF made it.

games that release early in the year tend to be forgotten amidst the typical AAA deluge that takes place every holiday season.

Sadist

Are you implying that somebody had to be paid to say that Bayonetta 2 was the most fun game of the year? Because that's ridiculous.
Ah, you haven't met Ninjablade. He's a pretty vocal guy about not liking Bayo 2, so the game ranking 1st here will grind his gears.

Finalow

15654363413_a55f92ddcf_o.png
of course it wins. it's a bioware game, gaf loves those things.

at least it's not in top 3.

Gartooth

2012 was such a shit year. Looking back at my ballot I can't believe what I said about a few of those games since my opinion on some of them has completely plummeted. Getting to 10 spots was an exercise in seeing what games were decent enough to deserve some recognition, but if I did it over again I would cut half of them off. (as well as crowning Xenoblade my new GoTY 2012 since I was late to that game)

Nobody differentiated between them when voting, as far as I know. New ports are eligible for console rankings, and the XB1 version was the only new one for 2014.

Thanks so much for doing the voting, but to add to the Pinball FX2 Mega Controversy I was counted as one of those two points and I was actually voting for the South Park Pinball DLC for it, not the main game. I don't have an Xbone and that DLC was 2014 on PC (steam). My vote post.

It's also not on the overall list for some reason.

So, looking back at press GotY's, it seems like there have only been three times where GAF has agreed with the press since 2004 (the first GAF GotY)

(GAF left, press right)
2004: Metal Gear Solid 3 | Half Life 2
2005: Resident Evil 4 | Resident Evil 4
2006: Zelda: Twilight Princess | Oblivion
2007: Mario Galaxy | Bioshock
2008: Metal Gear Solid 4 | Fallout 3
2009: Uncharted 2 | Uncharted 2
2010: Mass Effect 2 | Red Dead Redemption
2011: Portal 2 | Skyrim
2012: Journey | The Walking Dead
2013: The Last of Us | The Last of Us
2014: Bayonetta 2 | Dragon Age: Inquisition

Speaking of how exclusives do vs muliplatform games...

2004: Metal Gear Solid 3 (Sony exclusive)
2005: Resident Evil 4 (multiplatform)
2006: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo exclusive)
2007: Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo exclusive)
2008: Metal Gear Solid 4 (Sony exclusive)
2009: Uncharted 2 (Sony exclusive)
2010: Mass Effect 2 (multiplatform)
2011: Portal 2 (multiplatform)
2012: Journey (Sony exclusive)
2013: The Last of Us (Sony exclusive)
2014: Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo exclusive)

2015 is either going to be Sony exclusive (Uncharted 4/Bloodborne), Nintendo exclusive (Zelda), or Metal Gear Solid V (which would make it 3/3 in these...wow)

If MGSV wins, GAF confirmed full of MGS fans /s

Edit: if it does it would be 3 Sony first party, 3 Nintendo first party, 3 multiplats, and 3 MGS LOL

Gartooth

So, looking back at press GotY's, it seems like there have only been three times where GAF has agreed with the press since 2004 (the first GAF GotY)

(GAF left, press right)

I'd say that I agree with GAF every single time with the exception of 2010. I'm surprised Bioshock beat Galaxy for the media, but then again that game definitely catered to their interests more.

(GAF left, press right)

To be fair 2010 was basically an equal split. RDR had 111 GOTY picks and Mass Effect 2 had 101 GOTY picks. I wouldn't really call that not agreeing with the press in that particular year.

Bioshock and SMG were also really close:
Bio: 47
SMG: 44

To be fair 2010 was basically an equal split. RDR had 111 GOTY picks and Mass Effect 2 had 101 GOTY picks. I wouldn't really call that not agreeing with the press in that particular year.
same with 2012

Really in a lot of years, GAF #1 is media #2-3 and vice versa, so it's normally not that big of a difference, this year is the exception (and even then it's #1 to #4-5).

Haha, Nintendo fans putting in work. Makes sense I guess, there was not much standout unequivocal everyone agrees 'Best Game' on the other platforms (lots of disappointments too) meaning you're splitting between 7-8 top titles while Nintendo console fans had only 3 really to split the vote between.

I enjoyed Bayonetta 2, but it felt like a lacking sequel that lost some of the originals flavour and zanyness so I just couldn't choose it as my own GOTY. I guess for a lot of people though this was the first year they even experienced Bayonetta at all, so maybe thats where we differ.

They put out the 2 original titles that had the highest Metacritic this year and almost every site's lists should have looked like this if they were being consistent. Seriously, it was weird that Bayo 2 & Smash didn't clean up this year, like every selection committee internally said "yeah but...Nintendo." and couldn't pull the trigger. All those Mordor awards felt like compromise votes.

same with 2012

Really in a lot of years, GAF #1 is media #2-3 and vice versa, so it's normally not that big of a difference, this year is the exception (and even then it's #1 to #4-5).

Yeah that's exactly what it is.(apart from 2004) There hasn't been any great disparity with the media in most of those years.

Top Bottom