• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT7| Make friends, then kill them (SIGNUPS OPEN, NEW PLAYERS WELCOME)

I think crazy is ok as long as we're explicitly clear as to what people are getting into, at least as far as possible without spoiling the setup.

All the crazy should also at least have been looked over, so an attempt to balance them will have been made.

Natiko

Banned
I think it's fine to have some crazy ones mixed in even during main season. I would say maybe to guarantee spots in the normal ones for newbies for sure, but that's how the main season works anyways.

Don't know if anyone has dibs on GAFIA 4 but here's some flavour because I'm bored:

GAFIA 4: The Great Mod War: Part 1

On an undiscovered tropical beach, Ouro lies asleep, a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 resting on his chest. Unable to handle the searing heat due to global warming, the tablet/computer hybrid begins to smoke and spark. The smell of burning chest hair (and the pain) jolts Ouro awake.

"Gah!" he exclaims, sweeping the Surface away and patting down the small flames. He looks down. "Great, singed hair and a rectangular tan line. Some sabbatical this is."

Further exposition is interrupted by the sound of whirring helicopter blades in the distance. Ouro heaves himself to his feet and reaches for the assault rifle next to him. He knew his isolation wouldn't last. His reputation was too big, and his Bing search history was too accessible.

The helicopter lands on the beach, and a well-dressed figure jumps out. Peering down the scope of his rifle, Ouro's eyes widen. Retro?

Wearing a full three-piece suit and accompanied by two hulking bodyguards, the leader of GAFIA walks towards Ouro, his empty hands raised.

"Ouro, it's me! Put the non-registered firearm down."

"Prove it," Ouro shouts. "What's your favourite song?"

Retro smiles. "Wonderwall, of course."

Ouro lowers the gun. "How did you find me? I thought I covered all my tracks."

"Phone book."

"...Of course."

"Ouro, I wouldn't come unless it was absolutely-- is that a rectangular tan line on your chest?"

Ouro raises his gun menacingly. The bodyguards move their hands into their jacket pockets.

"...Anyway," Retro continues, "Things are bad. I assume you're keeping up to date?"

"I'm in the middle of nowhere," replies Ouro. "I don't have Internet, so I can't keep my Windows up-to-date."

"Well, to keep a long story short, we were at Swamped's vow renewal ceremony and things got out of hand. Someone abused an override, another used a modkill, and then there was a bagel gun, a tanner, and Gambit--"

"Why did you unnecessarily capitalize 'gambit'?"

"I didn't. The X-Man Gambit was there."

Ouro blinks. He had been away for far too long.

"But apparently it was too much for some. The players and mods are now fighting, and everyone's taking sides. To the mods, the players are too unruly and skirting the rules. To the players, the mods are too heavy-handed and not balancing correctly."

Ouro sighs. "Did they not read my dissertation 'On the Origin of Balance'?"

"No one did. 14,583 pages? Anyway, I thought a time out would solve things, but apparently some of them said 'You're not my dad, Retro' and started running their own Rogue games. Well we couldn't have that, and now we're setting up for a fight."

"Why did you capitalize-- never mind. Is it the kind of fight that takes place at an airport and where no one actually dies?"

"That's what I think. We're just looking for a place with no civilians around to resolve this peacefully--"

A loud explosion interrupts them as Retro's helicopter bursts into flame. Debris flies everywhere.

Retro turns in shock. "My baby!" he wails.

Ouro's mouth drops. Surely the players wouldn't be so ruthless as to--

A piece of debris hits him in the head, sending Ouro to the ground, dazed. His vision blurring, he can make out Retro pulling something from his jacket pocket.

"Oh I had my Switch with me. Crisis averted. But my controllers--"

One of his bodyguards picks up the debris that felled Ouro. "Sir, it's a Joy-Con."

"Yes!" Retro exclaims. After a pause, he tosses it away in disgust. "Of course it was the left one."

He walks over to Ouro. "Flying's out of the question so we'll have to take a... train. But cover up that atrocious tan line first."

Ouro groans. His vacation was over.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm thinking about writing a Mafia theme/game to submit for sommit like season 9 or so.

Is there anywhere I can get an idea of where to start, or an outline of how to set things up?

RetroMG

I'm thinking about writing a Mafia theme/game to submit for sommit like season 9 or so.

Is there anywhere I can get an idea of where to start, or an outline of how to set things up?

Ouro wrote a document about the lessons he's learned while modding, which you can find here.

There's a blank spreadsheet, here. (PLEASE COPY IT TO ANOTHER SPREADSHEET)

You can always ask on Discord for help.

Sophia

Ouro wrote a document about the lessons he's learned while modding, which you can find here.

There's a blank spreadsheet, here. (PLEASE COPY IT TO ANOTHER SPREADSHEET)

You can always ask on Discord for help.

I just wanna say this: The best thing you can do when designing a game is to have a very clear and concise spreadsheet. You will save yourself (and whoever looks over your game) a lot of headaches if you write "Town-aligned Doctor. Two shots. Can self heal." instead of something like "The Priest of the Old Gods who specializes in divine protection against evil spirits, but their power is weak and can only be used twice within their lifetime, therefore it must be preserved."

The second best thing you can do is make sure that everything is explained, mechanically. Make sure you have an order of actions planned out. Make sure that non-standard roles are explained in how they interact with other roles. And so forth... This can be difficult without a second pair of eyes, so don't be afraid to ask someone to look it over.

Beyond that, it's simply a matter of getting a hang for what is good balance. Ouro's guide is fantastic for this, I regularly consult it when designing my own games. Another fantastic resource is the MafiaScum Wiki page, especially if you're looking for roles.

*Splinter

I just wanna say this: The best thing you can do when designing a game is to have a very clear and concise spreadsheet. You will save yourself (and whoever looks over your game) a lot of headaches if you write "Town-aligned Doctor. Two shots. Can self heal." instead of something like "The Priest of the Old Gods who specializes in divine protection against evil spirits, but their power is weak and can only be used twice within their lifetime, therefore it must be preserved."

The second best thing you can do is make sure that everything is explained, mechanically. Make sure you have an order of actions planned out. Make sure that non-standard roles are explained in how they interact with other roles. And so forth... This can be difficult without a second pair of eyes, so don't be afraid to ask someone to look it over.

Beyond that, it's simply a matter of getting a hang for what is good balance. Ouro's guide is fantastic for this, I regularly consult it when designing my own games. Another fantastic resource is the MafiaScum Wiki page, especially if you're looking for roles.
Don't listen to these squares, Fattie. The only way to create art is to have several rambling conversations with yourself split between multiple concurrent forum threads.

The only way.

ouro you absolute monster.

c29911e165c02772f64d8628ebb339fb.jpg

seriously i think tats the most disturbed iv felt in while, turns out patriotic symbolism is my weakness.

that or cute defenseless flightless birds.

RetroMG

Gafia 3 has ended in victory for the
Scum
team! Congratulations to all players!
We're still working on getting Season 8 set up. We're having a little bit of difficulty getting some of these games approved to run.
If you have a game submitted for Season 8, (Burbeting, Crab, Franconp, Karkador, and Melonrabbit,) please report to the #game_review chat on Discord for discussions about your games.

As it is, we will probably have a little bit of a lull before Season 8 begins. Hopefully not too long, but based on Gafia 3, I kind of think we might need a little time to regroup. (Looking at you,
Town.
) If someone would like to run ONUW or Mini Mafia, I'm okay with that. Otherwise, keep an eye on Discord or this space for more information on Season 8.

Meanwhile, what should we call the Season 8 thread?

Top Bottom