• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF March 8th/11th Caucus Thread (Wyoming + Mississippi = OBAMATON)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

And Clinton is loving this, because as long as the focus in on race, Obama's message is harder to get out. It's a smokescreen, deliberately raised, and it's working. What Clinton is doing represents everything that is wrong with American politics.

The funny thing is, if Obama and Hillary were characters in Crash and this whole Ferraro situation was a scene in the movie, people would probably call it the most outlandish part of the movie because no one would say something like that.

gkryhewy

Special report this morning on what Obama said about a preacher, who referred to white america in the Good Morning America open as the US of KKKA?

LOL - could Obama's lifelong pastor become a liability?

This is some heisenberg uncertainty bullshit - they're going to make it one.

Playing clip of reverend during a God Damn America sermon, juxtaposed with Obama saying he doesn't think the preacher is very controversial.

What a delightfully timed smear piece.

EDIT: wow, this was some fox news style bullshit. I'm floored. Surprised they didn't save this for 4/21.

Also, this preacher does appear to be a genuine crazy asshole.

Cheebs

Yeah Fox News released a video last night where his pastor says "Hillary has never been called a nigger." and stuff. The media will probably be playing it a lot today. Just deal with it and let this news cycle pass.

gkryhewy

Cheebs said:
Yeah Fox News released a video last night where his pastor says "Hillary has never been called a nigger." and stuff. The media will probably be playing it a lot today. Just deal with it and let this news cycle pass.

If only I had your strength of character and temerity of conviction! I find myself unable to cope.

Aurvant

gkrykewy said:
Special report this morning on what Obama said about a preacher, who referred to white america in the Good Morning America open as the US of KKKA?

LOL - could Obama's lifelong pastor become a liability?

This is some heisenberg uncertainty bullshit - they're going to make it one.

Playing clip of reverend during a God Damn America sermon, juxtaposed with Obama saying he doesn't think the preacher is very controversial.

What a delightfully timed smear piece.

EDIT: wow, this was some fox news style bullshit. I'm floored. Surprised they didn't save this for 4/21.

Also, this preacher does appear to be a genuine crazy asshole.

Yeah, He is kind of out there. If I remember correctly he provided a life time achievement award to Louis Farakan and has repeatedly invited Farakan to speak at the church. I mean, yeah, Obama may just be friends with this pastor who just so happens to love Farakan, but if I was going to run for President I would probably be inclined to distance myself from people who have questionable company.

For those who don't know: Farakan called Judaism a "gutter religion" and has made public statements where he said "The white man is the scum of the earth". Obama's pastor also preaches a lot about the Black Value System which is supported by Farakan as well.

Not to say that any of this is a reflection on how Obama himself actually believes, but ya know....the whole guilty by association thing could come back to bite him.

Still, if I was Obama I would be more worried about people finding out that he is good friends with William Ayers (a widely know domestic terrorist who bombed the capital building and the pentagon) and that he went over to his house quite a few times.

gkryhewy

Aurvant said:
Still, if I was Obama I would be more worried about people finding out that he is good friends with William Ayers (a widely know domestic terrorist who bombed the capital building and the pentagon) and that he went over to his house quite a few times.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Aurvant

gkrykewy said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Hey, I'm just sayin'. I mean....think about it for a second....if you like knew this guy who made crystal meth in his house or whatever (and had been found and convicted of it before) you wouldn't want to associate with him or let the media know that you were friends with him if you wanted to run for a public office....

Would you?

Incognito said:
I can't be the only person who doesn't like Olberman's Special Comments, right? Ending each one with "Good night and Good luck" is a bit pretentious, too.

Tonight was no different.

I like it better when he just sticks to the cold and hard news.

I agree 100%. Some people are impressed with his loud hyperbole but it always turns me off

Cheebs

I love Keith's news reporting and humor.

But when he convinces himself he is Edward R. Murrow and does his opinions at the end of a show I usually switch the channel.

I have been watching Campbell Brown on CNN at 8 PM waaaaay more than Keith lately. I like her show more.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Cheebs said:
Like I said, he thinks he is Edward R. Murrow.
Murrow could calmly and subtly lay a verbal smackdown, while Olbermann ends up yelling at the camera.

So while some of his Special Comments are worth noting, he's no Murrow.

Cheebs

Also he doesn't have the sway of Murrow so it is just plain silly. Murrow did his pieces on the network news, back when *EVERYONE* watched the network news. Keith does his on a small-time cable channel.

Only those who are already believers in the style of liberalism that Keith talks about see it, it sways no one. It makes his rants more silly cause unlike Murrow he isn't reaching the country at large.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cheebs said:
Also he doesn't have the sway of Murrow so it is just plain silly. Murrow did his pieces on the network news, back when *EVERYONE* watched the network news. Keith does his on a small-time cable channel.

Only those who are already believers in the style of liberalism that Keith talks about see it, it sways no one. It makes his rants more silly cause unlike Murrow he isn't reaching the country at large.

It's not saying much (anything?), but he's still pretty much better than anyone else on cable news. Most of those shows are so bad they're painful and embarassing to watch. Not because of the politics either (those actually make them bearable sometimes. see, e.g., Lou Dobbs' "analysis"--farcical and wonderful).

The one thing I wish Olbermann didn't do is the Hard Copy/tabloid type bullshit like "worst person ever." I hate jokey shit on news shows (Cooper's daily caption contest makes me want to gouge my eyes out), and it's pervasive on all of them. I'm not expecting McNeil Lehrer but I'm also not watching E! for a reason.

Cheebs

AstroLad said:
It's not saying much (anything?), but he's still pretty much better than anyone else on cable news. Most of those shows are so bad they're painful and embarassing to watch. Not because of the politics either (those actually make them bearable sometimes. see, e.g., Lou Dobbs' "analysis"--farcical and wonderful).

The one thing I wish Olbermann didn't do is the Hard Copy/tabloid type bullshit like "worst person ever." I hate jokey shit on news shows (Cooper's daily caption contest makes me want to gouge my eyes out), and it's pervasive on all of them. I'm not expecting McNeil Lehrer but I'm also not watching E! for a reason.
Uh he has jokey stuff on it because his show is not a straight-line serious newscast. It's not John Stewart but its far more sarcastic and laid back compared to a evening newscast.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cheebs said:
Uh he has jokey stuff on it because his show is not a straight-line serious newscast. It's not John Stewart but its far more sarcastic and laid back compared to a evening newscast.

My point being that it's rarely funny and it usually just serves to weaken his legitimate points and attacks through hyperbole. Like I said, "I'm not expecting McNeil Lehrer," nor am I condeming all humor, I'm just saying the humor as it's currently employed often serves to cheapen the show to its detriment.

Cheebs

AstroLad said:
My point being that it's rarely funny and it usually just serves to weaken his legitimate points and attacks through hyperbole. Like I said, "I'm not expecting McNeil Lehrer," nor am I condeming all humor, I'm just saying the humor as it's currently employed often serves to cheapen the show to its detriment.
The show is advertised for it's humor. They have ads referring to it as the funniest news show on tv and stuff. It isn't just some throwaway ad on part of the show like that other example. It's fully integrated into nearly every element of his work.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cheebs said:
The show is advertised for it's humor. They have ads referring to it as the funniest news show on tv and stuff. It isn't just some throwaway ad on part of the show like that other example. It's fully integrated into nearly every element of his work.

And I'm not disputing that.

Xisiqomelir

Cheebs said:

That would be cool if "worst person in the world" was funny, but it's not. I like his screeds though.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
it's funny. david gergen was on the daily show back in january and said something like, "Just wait... I'm sure the Democrats will manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory this year." :lol

he may be right.

Cheebs

gkrykewy said:
None of that is shocking. I want full numbers though.

Edit. I calculated it out. Under the assumption its 58% women - 42% men (which is the number I see most often) it is

48% Obama - 42% Clinton

Cheebs

I don't get why Hillary and her campaign is allowed to talk about how we need a woman in the white house and so forth but we can never say the same about an african american

KarishBHR

I am so fucking angry that we have to wait till April 22nd for the next primary... this is ridiculous and terrible for the democratic party that we dont have a fucking nominee yet.

Tamanon

Banned
Cheebs said:
I don't get why Hillary and her campaign is allowed to talk about how we need a woman in the white house and so forth but we can never say the same about an african american

"We need a black man in the White House to...."

Now to think of the end of that catchphrase....

syllogism

Cheebs said:
None of that is shocking. I want full numbers though.

Edit. I calculated it out. Under the assumption its 58% women - 42% men (which is the number I see most often) it is

48% Obama - 42% Clinton
Pretty accurate, Rasmussen has it at 48-41%

Xisiqomelir

gkrykewy said:
Drudge:

RASMUSSEN at 11:00 AM:

Likely Dem Voters Nationwide

Black: Obama 81% Clinton 7%
White: Clinton 50% Obama 39%

Women: Clinton 51% Obama 40%
Men: Obama 60% Clinton 28%

Genetic predisposition towards mathematics confirmed.

From NBC’s Domenico Montanaro
Clinton picked up a net of five delegates of the remaining unallocated nine delegates in Colorado. Obama now wins a 35-20 split there.

The pledged delegate count has Obama leading: 1,400-1,251.
The superdelegate count has Clinton leading: 253-216.
The GRAND TOTAL stands at Obama leading: 1,616-1,504.

There are still 10 delegates unallocated from previously completed contests, including nine from the Texas caucuses (Texas is currently a 92-92 tie) and one from Democrats Abroad.
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/

GhaleonEB

NPR had an interview with Clinton this morning on Morning Edition. An infuriating interview. Nothing really new. Among the tidbits:

--Michigan was "fair" because Obama chose to take his name off the ballot.
--Pushed "big state" meme
--Said super delegates are just as valid as those selected via primary (she said the same about caucus delegates, though denigrating them as being selected by "small gatherings") and implied she's fine having supers over-ride the will of the voters.
--Flat-out lied about her saying McCain was more qualified that Obama to be president "I didn't say that".

Nothing new, but the way it came out was just sleazy.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88165077

"We'll wait and see where the voters go," Clinton says, when asked if she thinks the superdelegates should follow the lead of the popular vote. "I want to see what happens in Pennsylvania and Puerto Rico, Michigan and Florida."
Very selective list of states.

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
NPR had an interview with Clinton this morning on Morning Edition. An infuriating interview. Nothing really new. Among the tidbits:

--Michigan was "fair" because Obama chose to take his name off the ballot.
--Pushed "big state" meme
--Said super delegates are just as valid as those selected via primary (she said the same about caucus delegates, though denigrating them as being selected by "small gatherings") and implied she's fine having supers over-ride the will of the voters.
--Flat-out lied about her saying McCain was more qualified that Obama to be president "I didn't say that".

Nothing new, but the way it came out was just sleazy.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88165077

Very selective list of states.

Puerto Riclol

Seth C

harSon said:
She needs 64 percent of all remaining delegates to win or 60 percent if Michigan and Florida are included :lol

Edit: Why the fuck does Puerto Rico get a more meaningful vote then states that are actually within the United States?

Good th ing time is on her side!

Because you know, with 4 minutes to go in the game, the announcers are always saying that about the team that's behind.

Just a reminder for PA residents to register to vote by the deadline of March 24th. Even if you do it online you still need to mail the registration in to your county office, so do it today if you haven't already so it gets there in time!

Shiggie

Mr. Lemming said:
Just a reminder for PA residents to register to vote by the deadline of March 24th. Even if you do it online you still need to mail the registration in to your county office, so do it today if you haven't already so it gets there in time!
im practically nagging my GF to regester. she just isnt interested in politics. Help me GAF! how do i motivate her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom