• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2014 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Thanks for making this thread and counting all the votes, CFK! As I've done the last two years, I wanted to take the opportunity to update my little measure of GAF's favorite directors (last year's results here), using the Top 10 results of the MOTY poll from each year since it began in 2007. A first place finish is worth 10 points, second place is worth 9, etc.

For the first time, all of the top 10 directors had over 10 points, meaning they've had at least two films finish in the top 10 of this poll.

1. David Fincher 32 (Zodiac, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl)
  2. Christopher Nolan 31 (The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar)
  3. Quentin Tarantino 20 (Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained)
  4. Wes Anderson 19 (Moonrise Kingdom, The Grand Budapest Hotel)
  5. Coen Brothers 19 (No Country For Old Men, True Grit, Inside Llewyn Davis)
  6. Edgar Wright 16 (Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim, The World's End)
  7. Darren Aronofsky 15 (The Wrestler, Black Swan)
  8. Paul Thomas Anderson 13 (There Will Be Blood, The Master)
  9. Martin Scorcese 13 (Hugo, The Wolf of Wall Street)
  10. Richard Linklater 12 (Before Midnight, Boyhood)

And the top film of each year from the past seven years:

2007: No Country For Old Men
2008: The Dark Knight
2009: Inglourious Basterds
2010: Inception
2011: Drive
2012: Django Unchained
2013: Gravity
2014: The Grand Budapest Hotel

FTF

Very solid list...though I'd swap Guardians, Lego and Edge of Tomorrow with Winter Soldier, Dawn of Apes and The Raid 2 for my top 10 (and then rearrange some of the order of that new top 10).

The Grand Budapest Hotel huh?

I can get behind that. Rented it on a whim and loved it. Turned out to be a lot funnier and better than I was expecting.

I'm really shocked at the love Frank is getting, it's a slightly above average film festival movie.

I thought it was a good/very good movie about a quirky band........then those last 2 scenes hit and wow, the emotion + music is something else -
Fassbender at his parents home without his mask
followed by
the incredible I love you wall/alllllll

I loved the final 2 scenes so much that I went back and watched the movie a 2nd time a day later. Liked the movie even more.

Fassbender kills it imo.......it's an interesting examination of a quirky band and
mental illness

I also had the closing song on repeat for a week straight when I saw it.

Frank and the Guest have my two favorite endings of the year

i'm a big enthusiast of concrete, always been fascinated by it.

They actually got the concrete wrong in the movie ...

1. They mention the "large" delivery of 355 metric tonnes of concrete with 218 trucks. Apart from the fact that wet concrete is usually referred to in volume, not weight, the calculation of trucks needed for this weight is wrong. The mixing trucks on average hold 18 tons of concrete each, meaning that they only need 20 trucks.

2. Locke talks about 350 metric tonnes of concrete as being the largest concrete pour in Europe ever (apart from nuclear and military facilities). Concrete is calculated by volume. 350 tonnes is about 160 cubic metres - basically about enough to fill a room that is 9 metres long x 9 metres wide x 2 metres deep. The price of this concrete would be somewhere in the region of £10,000 at 2014 prices. Many projects exist where over 3,000 cubic metres has been poured in a day (about 6,600 tonnes), so 350 tonnes isn't something a decent sized company would get too excited about, and you could probably complete it in 3-4 hours with just one concrete pump.

lol holy shit man you know your concrete. i was just joking with that response but with something so well thought out you deserve my real reason why i enjoyed the film. i found it akin to small scale stuff like 12 angry men and carnage. i just enjoyed how i got so much drama out of the film when all it gave me was some conversations, in this case on the phone nonetheless. it just managed to grab me immediately. i imagine if you didn't really buy into it or care much then the film would seem like a boring slog for sure.

Strax

I thought it was a good/very good movie about a quirky band........then those last 2 scenes hit and wow, the emotion + music is something else -
Fassbender at his parents home without his mask
followed by
the incredible I love you wall/alllllll

I loved the final 2 scenes so much that I went back and watched the movie a 2nd time a day later. Liked the movie even more.

Fassbender kills it imo.......it's an interesting examination of a quirky band and
mental illness

I also had the closing song on repeat for a week straight when I saw it.

Frank and the Guest have my two favorite endings of the year

My biggest problem with the movie is that it tries to be grounded and real outside of the band members. Every member of the band could barely fuction in a mental hospital, let alone in band for more then 2-3 months. At first Jon seems to be a normal person before he joins the band but almost immediately after he joins starts losing his mind.

Pachimari

I have only seen the first Hunger Games and it were pretty fantastic if not simple. So it's all going downhill from there?

Guardians of the Galaxy were number 1 on mine. One of the most enjoyable movies since Quantum of Solace. Those two movies pops up instantly in my head.

Mr. Sam

I have only seen the first Hunger Games and it were pretty fantastic if not simple. So it's all going downhill from there?

Guardians of the Galaxy were number 1 on mine. One of the most enjoyable movies since Quantum of Solace. Those two movies pops up instantly in my head.

I like Quantum of Solace too but it's not safe to talk like that - they'll hurt you.

MIMIC

Banned
Shows how memorable it is. #1 of the year in the US BO.

I suppose that could be said for Hunger Games (although I haven't seen the most recent one). It's still surprising, nonetheless.

But what about Spider-Man? People complain about that movie here on almost a daily basis. And if not that, it's constantly discussed when comparing it to the other Spider-Man films (which happens a lot). So with that said, I find it even MORE surprising that it didn't pick up a single vote.

Pachimari

Sorry to ask here of all places. But I have been looking in off topic and community and tried searching through Google on the phone. Where is the Oscars 2015 OT?

Woooo didn't expect Gone Girl to be so high. And Grand Budapest was my next favourite movie so I'm happy it was #1 if it wasn't GG.

inm8num2

no Lego Movie, list invalidated

It's at #12 (the top 50 movies are there).

This isn't a list someone created subjectively based on their feelings about those films. It's the year's movies ranked by the number of appearances on end-of-year critics' lists. Closest thing to an overall picture of what movies critics liked most or thought to be best.

Violet_0

Banned
It's at #12 (the top 50 movies are there).

This isn't a list someone created subjectively based on their feelings about those films. It's the year's movies ranked by the number of appearances on end-of-year critics' lists. Closest thing to an overall picture of what movies critics liked most or thought to be best.
well, I did read your post before I commented
I just thought it was interesting that The Lego Movie is missing from the top 10 of that list, I'm not actually taking it serious

btw GBH and Birdman were my #1 and #2 this year, so far once I actually sorta agree with the Academy

My biggest problem with the movie is that it tries to be grounded and real outside of the band members. Every member of the band could barely fuction in a mental hospital, let alone in band for more then 2-3 months. At first Jon seems to be a normal person before he joins the band but almost immediately after he joins starts losing his mind.

I thought the band members were awkward, shy, obsessed with not being mainstream in anyway, and just outright weird.

But I don't think any of them needed a mental hospital except for Fassbender.

Scoot McNairy was depressed, he needed some help, but he wasn't crazy.

Jon gets ingratiated into the weirdness of the band itself.....I bought it.....he desperately wants to fit in + prove himself. No matter how silly things get, he's committed. Plus they skip ahead several months when they're recording the album, so his descent is credible.

HiResDes

Pretty awesome list I must say, good job GAF even if my list was quite different I enjoyed all of those in some fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom