• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah, OLED light at 45 is a good strategy for avoiding burn-in for PC usage, or even temporary retention. I run my CX at 80 and has for a year now, and it seems fine.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nice to see the lg c2 42 inch available now. I won't pay current prices but a few hundred less and it's mine. No other monitor outside of the uw qd oled ones even come close. So glad we can finally get away from shitty lcds.

Celcius

°Temp. member
My iphone and switch have oled screens and look incredible, but they don't do the auto-dimming that I hear that LG oled TV's do... do Sony oled TV's do this? Is the dimming really severe/aggrevating or is it barely noticeable? I don't recall any of the oled TV's that I've seen in stores doing it...

Ulysses 31

My iphone and switch have oled screens and look incredible, but they don't do the auto-dimming that I hear that LG oled TV's do... do Sony oled TV's do this? Is the dimming really severe/aggrevating or is it barely noticeable? I don't recall any of the oled TV's that I've seen in stores doing it...
Very noticeable to me in scenes like Morpheus explaining to Neo what the Matrix is.

iu

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Every oled tv does it. It's called abl. Some companies are more aggressive with it but it's always there.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there any setting to adjust the intensity of the effect, or do you just have to live with what the manufacturer decides?

Last edited:

MastAndo

You can buy a service remote and turn it off
ASBL can be disabled, but ABL is an issue all OLEDs have, even the newer QD-OLEDs (I don't see the A95K being any different).

ASBL is when the screen darkens over time when it detects static images for extended periods. Problem is, it will sometimes do this when the images aren't even static and in already dark scenes. It's not frequent, but it does happen. I've seen it on the C1 and the S95B, so it's just an issue with the tech, but fortunately this can be disabled through the service menu.

ABL is what is shown in that white background Matrix scene, as large areas of true whites can't be displayed properly so everything looks dimmer than it should. That can't be disabled.

Dibils2k

I turn off both dimming features from service menu(ASBL and GSR), hate that shit. but ABL is undefeatable but at the same time, while i wouldnt say its not an issue, the positives of OLED outweigh it imo and you will only see it in really bright scenes

for me its far better than Local Dimming which has way worse image altering, but its reverse, those are terrible in dark scenes lol

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

They're fine,only time you'd see it is in scenes with full white backgrounds.

anothertech

My CX has wierd issues with Disney+ hdr content. Seems like the auto dim happens all the time in live action stuff like Mandalorian. Anyone know a fix?

Mr.ODST

Got a LG C1 2 - 3 months ago, just started playing on it hte other day when Obi-Wan released and WOW the quality is insane, even moving from my Nano IPS HDR Gaming Monitor (which looks incredible) the OLED is just a step above.

AddiF

Hey peeps.

E6 owner here with an overall good experience with OLED except for burn-ins (daily use, not excessive - Youtube and Netflix logos, YT yellow box in lower right corner, YT play bar, faint BOTW hearts).

Possibly looking at LG C2 or G2 77 or 83 inch.

Few questions...

- Any truth to newer OLEDs being less prone to burn-in?
- Do C2 and G2 share the same hardware, just a difference in design?
- Both versions seem to be Evo screens. Any comments on those vs regular OLED screens?
- Noticable C2/G2 improvements over C1/G1 or marginal improvements, if any?
- Are 8K OLEDs something that will enter the main OLED lineups in a near future?
- Is 8K something that I should think about at all?
- Any known negatives that I might not know of but owners/reviewers have noticed?
- For YT, streaming services and gaming, is OLED still the way to go or should I look at other options?

I would guess some of these points have been answered in this thread, but I welcome any feedback to these questions.

Thanks!

mitchman

Gold Member
Hey peeps.

E6 owner here with an overall good experience with OLED except for burn-ins (daily use, not excessive - Youtube and Netflix logos, YT yellow box in lower right corner, YT play bar, faint BOTW hearts).

Few questions...

Thanks!
- Yes, I had a B6 which got burn-in after a couple of years. Neither my B9 nor the CX I have now have shown any signs of that. There are plenty of ways they mitigate the chance these days. I've used the CX as a computer monitor for over a year now.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hey peeps.

Few questions...

- Both versions seem to be Evo screens. Any comments on those vs regular OLED screens?
- Are 8K OLEDs something that will enter the main OLED lineups in a near future?
- Any known negatives that I might not know of but owners/reviewers have noticed?
- For YT, streaming services and gaming, is OLED still the way to go or should I look at other options?

I would guess some of these points have been answered in this thread, but I welcome any feedback to these questions.

Thanks!
8K won't be mainstream any time soon I believe. Unless you're playing PC games (and either an older title or at like 30 fps and less than max settings on a very high end card) then there's hardly any 8K content anyway. If I were buying a TV today I'd go 4K without even thinking about it.

ParaSeoul

Hey peeps.

Few questions...

Thanks!
Yeah its a non issue now with normal use.

Same chipset. G2 is brighter.

Theres no such thing as an EVO screen. The EVO branding is just a marketing term for its highest tier OLEDs that perform within a certain range. They do have a newer screen called the WBE,old one is the WBC. If you're buying a larger size,it will be the newer panel but some of the smaller C2's (48 and 42 inch) have the older screen and are still branded as EVO. Those are still brighter than previous years models but not as bright as the larger sizes.

Check the RTINGs reviews or HDTVtest for what you need.

Theres already 8K OLEDs.

No its pointless,not a big leap so depending on your viewing distance it might just look like 4K

Not an issue for most people but some are annoying by the brightness shifts,shouldn't really be an a dealbreaker especially on the models you mentioned.

OLED is the right choice for most things. Once you use it you'll understand.

Anybody have some good lg c1 oled settings for series x,I used hdtvtest on YouTube for my ps5,but now I want some for the xbox.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

I am starting to turn off VRR on Xbox and PS5, i am seeing the flickering on some games and i dont ever choose the 120fps mode in games so i dont really need VRR (as thats when you have more variance)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nice to see the lg c2 42 inch available now. I won't pay current prices but a few hundred less and it's mine. No other monitor outside of the uw qd oled ones even come close. So glad we can finally get away from shitty lcds.
I just bought a Sony X89J after suffering with OLED stutter for 2 years. Yeah, I’ll miss the perfect blacks and the less “digital” image of OLED, but the improvement in motion is worth it for me. I found myself wanting to play games less and less because of how anything below 60fps displays on OLED, now I actually want to turn on my consoles again. Sony also has much, much better menus and interface than LG.

Who knows, maybe on 42 inches OLED motion is more bearable, but I have my doubts and no in-store display unit is gonna dispel those doubts, so… I’ll enjoy my shitty LED for the moment.

ParaSeoul

what?
The one week ago? I am finding it still switches to game audio when I restart my pc annoyingly.
why are you unplugging your tv? That's one thing you should not do with oled !!!
Its plugged in for hours,I just unplug it when I'm done using it at night. Paranoid about power surges even though I have a surge proof plug. Waiting to get a UPS. I also had that issue but its doesn't happen anymore.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its plugged in for hours,I just unplug it when I'm done using it at night. Paranoid about power surges even though I have a surge proof plug. Waiting to get a UPS. I also had that issue but its doesn't happen anymore.
The only thing you should be worried about even with a surge protector is lightning storm.
Other than that, no point to disconnect it ever.
UPS will also not save you from lightning

Chiggs

Picked up a 55" S95B yesterday to use as my computer monitor because of this bullshit. Here are my thoughts so far:
  • My out of the box color accuracy was not that great. I bring this up because most online reviewers were jerking themselves silly about how incredible it was out of the box.
  • Once calibrated, the picture looks quite nice...in some situations; in other situations, there's an artificial look to things. Almost like Technicolor.
    • I'm still not convinced that Samsung's setup even allows for true color accuracy, especially when compared to LG or Sony.
  • Upscaled content and YouTube content looks like shit on this TV.
    • I've been spoiled by my a90J's XR chip.
  • Game mode is fantastic.
  • The remote is the worst piece of shit I've had the displeasure of using in quite some time.
    • From someone who is used to the phenomenal a90J Sony Commander remote, the S95B's is a fucking joke.
  • Tizen sucks balls. It's just wretched. And the lack of an input button on the remote makes it that much worse.
  • Panel uniformity is on point. :messenger_sunglasses:
    • What a relief to buy a unit and not have to fret about shitty panels.
Do I think this TV is worth the $2100.00 I spent on it? No, I don't. I also think the people ranting and raving about its picture are, at times, being hyperbolic. QD-OLED is an improvement for sure, but it's not some world-saving step change. The extra color is nice, but it didn't make me want to toss any of my traditional OLEDs.

Also, the remote control is so fucking terrible that I would have problems recommending this unit on general principle. It's unacceptable that a premium set like this is being bundled with something so cheap and unintuitive. Seriously, fuck Caleb from Digital Trends for praising this little piece of shit just because it has a solar panel. Fucking fanboy.

Last edited:

Stafford

Hey all,

So I have my S95B for exactly a week now. The other day I did a side by side comparison with my C9 with my friend and overall we give the nod to the S95B, but in one aspect C9 wins. Sharpness. We simply liked games more on C9 when it comes to how crisp they look. RDR2, Watch Dogs Legion, Cyberpunk and so on.

Now my buddy is on the market for a new TV. Has a C9 now, is looking at G2. Linus Tech showed that there's a significant brightness difference and this is a big reason for my buddy to upgrade to a G2. But I hear conflicting reports about brightness in HDR game (HGIG) mode.

Tech with KG in a month old video said HGIG is way too dark, has this been fixed since? But what it all comes down to, is there a significant enough brightness difference for HDR gaming compared to C9? The C9 is no slouch, but obviously when it comes to fire effects, neon lights in Cyberpunk and WDL.....the S95B wins.

But if the brightness leap is big enough that should help a lot with having those aspects in gaming look really good on a G2 as well. So......does it?

Stafford

HGIG only works well when a game support the PS5/XBOX hdr calibration menu. Most games completely ignore that menu. Just use DTM.

For the longest time I've been using HGIG because DTM seemed to overbrighten things like night times on games and such. Personally I found plenty games doable with it, such as RDR2 but others really need DTM yeah.

But speaking of DTM, big difference between C9 and G2?

Reallink

Hey all,

So I have my S95B for exactly a week now. The other day I did a side by side comparison with my C9 with my friend and overall we give the nod to the S95B, but in one aspect C9 wins. Sharpness. We simply liked games more on C9 when it comes to how crisp they look. RDR2, Watch Dogs Legion, Cyberpunk and so on.

Now my buddy is on the market for a new TV. Has a C9 now, is looking at G2. Linus Tech showed that there's a significant brightness difference and this is a big reason for my buddy to upgrade to a G2. But I hear conflicting reports about brightness in HDR game (HGIG) mode.

Tech with KG in a month old video said HGIG is way too dark, has this been fixed since? But what it all comes down to, is there a significant enough brightness difference for HDR gaming compared to C9? The C9 is no slouch, but obviously when it comes to fire effects, neon lights in Cyberpunk and WDL.....the S95B wins.

But if the brightness leap is big enough that should help a lot with having those aspects in gaming look really good on a G2 as well. So......does it?

The G2 only adds about 100-200 nits to peak white over a C9, color brightness is effectively the same. Nevermind HGIG, you're unlikely to notice a difference in any mode without a literal side by side comparison. I actually think my 77G1 is a little dimmer than my 65C9, with more aggressive/noticable ABL pumping. Energy Star requirements and the color filters absorbing most of the light means LG hit the wall of their panel technology years ago. The G2 is literally an overclocked C9 by virtue of a heatsink, and not even close to being worth 1/10th of the price premium it commands.

Last edited:

Stafford

The G2 only adds about 100-200 nits to peak white over a C9, color brightness is effectively the same. Nevermind HGIG, you're unlikely to notice a difference in any mode without a literal side by side comparison. I actually think my 77G1 is a little dimmer than my 65C9, with more aggressive/noticable ABL pumping. Energy Star requirements and the color filters absorbing most of the light means LG hit the wall of their panel technology years ago. The G2 is literally an overclocked C9 by virtue of a heatsink, and not even close to being worth 1/10th of the price premium it commands.

Damn, well that's good to know. Better stick wirh the C9 then. Buddy was hoping the G2 would kind of come near what the S95B is doing but based on these comments it's not even close.

Top Bottom