• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Von Hugh

How dark is your room? If it's too bright the C1 might not have enough brightness to bring out its OLED strengths.

If it's a dark room the C1 easily for that price between the 2.

There is almost nonexistent direct sunlight to the whole apartment, but there is a large glass patio door right next to where the TV would be, so there's quite some ambient light from outside. I guess I'll keep researching.

Mr1999

I'm an official OLED owner now. I found a LG OLED 65 inch for $120 on craigslist. The guy selling it said it would sometimes work but then the screen would turn off and then come back. Knowing this I still rolled the dice and bought it. He also said wifi didn't work. So as soon as I took it home I plugged it in and yes after a few minutes it will power off and on by itself, it kept doing this a lot initially, you would be using it and then it will turn off and then on 2 seconds later. Since turning it on overnight it has not powered off and on , which to me says capacitor problems, from past experience when you have a tv with bad caps, it will take longer for it to get stable, and the longer time the tv is off the more time it takes to get it to that state again, so for the initial 30 minutes I kept getting reboots until its all gone now. It replaced my 55 Hisense U6G and wow what a difference lol. That tv will now go to the living room. I have not looked yet but im guessing there will be swollen caps, its either that or the mainboard but right now to me its the power.
fe1lhCd.jpg
0rrXTBf.jpg

Mr1999

I went ahead and bought overspec'd Rubycon capacitors and found a cheap mainboard replacement should it get to that. I can't believe how good it looks, I always knew owning several generation of phones that use OLED and a switch OLED that it had superior PQ, but at this size and finally getting to see a better demonstration of HDR I have to say i'm blown away.
I used MADVR with HDR pass through, MS2020 and CP2077 look really nice especially. any other must haves for OLED?
usraZs5.jpg
dUo8L2D.jpg

Always good when a TV update fixes an issue and doesn't seem to break anything. Turns out the audio dropping out with GSync on my 2080ti at 4K/120Hz wasn't anything to do with the card (though it does top out at 8-Bit 4:2:0) and an update from Philips the other day no longer sees it happen. Not only that LFC seems to work properly now too, tested all the way down to 30fps using the frame cap on Cyberpunk. I guess that certification from Nvidia finally came through even though the TV was already listed on Nvidia's GSync compatibility page :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I went ahead and bought overspec'd Rubycon capacitors and found a cheap mainboard replacement should it get to that. I can't believe how good it looks, I always knew owning several generation of phones that use OLED and a switch OLED that it had superior PQ, but at this size and finally getting to see a better demonstration of HDR I have to say i'm blown away.
I used MADVR with HDR pass through, MS2020 and CP2077 look really nice especially. any other must haves for OLED?
usraZs5.jpg
dUo8L2D.jpg

Cyberpunk does indeed look really good, I ended up locking to 30 and cranking everything up (I'd heard 30fps looked bad on OLED though so was surprised to find that wasn't the case) and just kicking back with a controller. Been playing it a lot when my brother isn't pestering me to do battles on Company of Heroes 2, will admit that 4K at around 100fps with GSync does look good for a strategy game on a 48".

Probably the most noticeable upgrade from getting my OLED a couple weeks back is in movies, so I can only recommend watching as many as you can. Been gradually re-watching my UHD Bluray collection and even something subdued like 1917 in HDR10+ can look great. You would think its the more colourful films too, but I prefer the improvements to darker movies. I was watching Interstellar the other night and the space scenes in that movie really makes the most of OLED being able to have a completely black pixel next to a fully lit one.

Mr1999

Cyberpunk does indeed look really good, I ended up locking to 30 and cranking everything up (I'd heard 30fps looked bad on OLED though so was surprised to find that wasn't the case) and just kicking back with a controller. Been playing it a lot when my brother isn't pestering me to do battles on Company of Heroes 2, will admit that 4K at around 100fps with GSync does look good for a strategy game on a 48".

Probably the most noticeable upgrade from getting my OLED a couple weeks back is in movies, so I can only recommend watching as many as you can. Been gradually re-watching my UHD Bluray collection and even something subdued like 1917 in HDR10+ can look great. You would think its the more colourful films too, but I prefer the improvements to darker movies. I was watching Interstellar the other night and the space scenes in that movie really makes the most of OLED being able to have a completely black pixel next to a fully lit one.
I will definitely try Interstellar.
What game is this?

Also, hope the capacitors fix the issue. $120 for an OLED is an absolute steal, and it's always nice to see some salvaged rather than going straight to the landfill.

It's Cyberpunk 2077 with a few mods. I could only guess how many repairable televisions get thrown in the trash, probably a glut of 80+ inch oleds that were tossed. I don't think the guy selling it cared selling it to me for that price, he likely got something better already, doesn't seem like he tried fixing it, all he knew was that it was either the power supply or the mainboard. It has not rebooted since turning it on couple of days ago, I turn it off now before I go to bed and it turns right back on without any issues. I'll be happy if I can get a year out of it before I buy an OLED. The last TV I found on the side of a road was a samsung and that lasted 4 additional years which was a total of 8 years from its manufacture date, the led started to dim out and you can tell by shining a flashlight in front of it.

Mr1999

What game is this?

Also, hope the capacitors fix the issue. $120 for an OLED is an absolute steal, and it's always nice to see some salvaged rather than going straight to the landfill.
update: I managed to try a completely new mainboard, I found someone willing to let me try before I buy, but the problem was still there even with the new mainboard, it kept rebooting. Also the Wifi was still not working and the reboots continued, it would reboot sometimes 2 minutes for 3 seconds, then 25 minutes, sometimes hours. While installing the new mainboard It had a new message on the screen saying to press Instop on my remote, which on the Magic remote there is no Instop button, I had to buy a $7 service remote from Amazon which allows you to get more information from the TV and that has an Instop button that resets it.

After doing this the Wifi started working again. This is strange because I already reset using the built in firmware reset, I guess this was a different kind of reset cause it forces you to buy that remote or use an IR blaster from your phone. Now both boards had Wifi after doing this. It has not rebooted once since doing that. So we'll see. Anyways I found no swollen or bad caps also the voltages its giving out seem fine, but that's the depth of my knowledge of diagnosing boards, it can still be the power supply or maybe the TCON, but there's a glut of BRAND NEW TCON boards for this TV, like $39 shipped for brand new TCON. Some cool stats: the original mainboard had 15,000 power on hours and the replacement mainboard had well over 20K.

The display itself is what's worth it I guess, apparently it can last 30,000 hours, we'll see.

I'm an official OLED owner now. I found a LG OLED 65 inch for $120 on craigslist. The guy selling it said it would sometimes work but then the screen would turn off and then come back. Knowing this I still rolled the dice and bought it. He also said wifi didn't work. So as soon as I took it home I plugged it in and yes after a few minutes it will power off and on by itself, it kept doing this a lot initially, you would be using it and then it will turn off and then on 2 seconds later. Since turning it on overnight it has not powered off and on , which to me says capacitor problems, from past experience when you have a tv with bad caps, it will take longer for it to get stable, and the longer time the tv is off the more time it takes to get it to that state again, so for the initial 30 minutes I kept getting reboots until its all gone now. It replaced my 55 Hisense U6G and wow what a difference lol. That tv will now go to the living room. I have not looked yet but im guessing there will be swollen caps, its either that or the mainboard but right now to me its the power.
fe1lhCd.jpg
0rrXTBf.jpg
WiFi isn't a loss in the slightest tbh.... Personal opinion but I hate the TV apps, seeing as you're on a gaming forum I assume you have a console to plug in, otherwise just buy a firestick, they're great and can stream everything you want for like 40 or 60 (short memory) dollars

EDIT: someone might have better advice than me, but off the top of my head I'd make sure I had a pure black image you can flip to if using it 24/7...pixels will wear out if ran 24/7 and youll get burn in if you just pause it on an image repeatedly overnight

Last edited:

Mr1999

WiFi isn't a loss in the slightest tbh.... Personal opinion but I hate the TV apps, seeing as you're on a gaming forum I assume you have a console to plug in, otherwise just buy a firestick, they're great and can stream everything you want for like 40 or 60 (short memory) dollars

EDIT: someone might have better advice than me, but off the top of my head I'd make sure I had a pure black image you can flip to if using it 24/7...pixels will wear out if ran 24/7 and youll get burn in if you just pause it on an image repeatedly overnight

Wifi now works but I dont use it either I have it hooked up to my PC which is a 12700K with a RTX 3070TI and KC3000 PCIGEN 4 drive and 32GB of DDR4 4800MHZ. I finally found out 100 percent sure that whatever was causing the issue was the TCON board, as you can see from the picture I had 3 donors to try, all of which were returned, anyways I tried power and mainboard and the problem kept persisting but it's when I tried another TCON that the problem stopped, problem was this new TCON had severe burn, so I exchanged it, however by changing out the TCON and putting it back together it has no longer rebooted, it happens but very rare now and its not like the same reboot. TCON boards being sold on ebay right now, good luck finding one that's not burned, thankful this tv has no burn in
HC4Z0NR.jpg

Last edited:

small_law

I just joined the club. LG CX OLED 55". It is a damn beautiful television, but I'm super concerned about how fragile it is. I really like the ethernet port.

So this is in my man cave sitting next to my PC which is already hooked up to monitors. This is going to be the third thing that hooks up to it. At least for now. I'm actually planning to upgrade the PC monitors in the next month or two.

So any recommendations with respect to care or media? I'm going to have to pick up a 4K Blu-ray so any recommendations with respect to care or media? I'm going to have to pick up a 4K Blu-ray just to try it out. I got out of physical media a while back. I also have a trip light surge protector coming. Any other recommendations protection, care etc. I know not to leave it on the same image for any appreciable amount of time.

Mr1999

I just joined the club. LG CX OLED 55". It is a damn beautiful television, but I'm super concerned about how fragile it is. I really like the ethernet port.

So this is in my man cave sitting next to my PC which is already hooked up to monitors. This is going to be the third thing that hooks up to it. At least for now. I'm actually planning to upgrade the PC monitors in the next month or two.

So any recommendations with respect to care or media? I'm going to have to pick up a 4K Blu-ray so any recommendations with respect to care or media? I'm going to have to pick up a 4K Blu-ray just to try it out. I got out of physical media a while back. I also have a trip light surge protector coming. Any other recommendations protection, care etc. I know not to leave it on the same image for any appreciable amount of time.

My suggestion would be unpopular but Id just hook it up to a PC, you can throw in a internal bluray drive, although it will cost more initially, I think in the end just building a PC will end up costing you less in the long run as far as content goes, but that's up to you. I have two burners on my PC, a Pioneer that I use exclusively for burning BDXL and then using my UHD friendly LG Bluray drive that can access physical media uhd blurays. Don't get me wrong I still buy a ton of physical media, boutique even, but they have to be movies I really like. As far as media goes, if that's what you mean, LG Chess 4K Demo looks really nice and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets looks unreal, the hologram that's on their costumes, I don't know whether its the material they are using or the OLED itself but it really shows, anything that glows and has a lot of contrast, like the butterfly scene for example. the entire movie is an oled tech demo in my opinion.

proandrad

Are the out of the box setting for the C1 good enough for PC gaming and 4k Movies?
For the most part, but the white balance out of the box is way off. For HDR content you should at least go into the Advance Settings under picture, Color, White Balance and change Color temperature to warm 40 or 50. Whatever looks better to you.

small_law

My suggestion would be unpopular but Id just hook it up to a PC, you can throw in a internal bluray drive, although it will cost more initially, I think in the end just building a PC will end up costing you less in the long run as far as content goes, but that's up to you. I have two burners on my PC, a Pioneer that I use exclusively for burning BDXL and then using my UHD friendly LG Bluray drive that can access physical media uhd blurays. Don't get me wrong I still buy a ton of physical media, boutique even, but they have to be movies I really like. As far as media goes, if that's what you mean, LG Chess 4K Demo looks really nice and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets looks unreal, the hologram that's on their costumes, I don't know whether its the material they are using or the OLED itself but it really shows, anything that glows and has a lot of contrast, like the butterfly scene for example. the entire movie is an oled tech demo in my opinion.
I started looking into a Blu-ray drive for my PC because I do want to rip my older blu-rays, ones that are not UHD. I don't have any UHD movies, so I'm okay with a drive that can't rip UHD.

My understanding has always been that it is way better in terms of picture quality to have physical media like a UHD Blu-ray player versus streaming video given the compression. Even when it's saying it's 4K, you're going to still see artifacts and all that. So yeah, I'd really hate to get back into physical media, but I think that's going to be the way to go for a little while.

I've got a really awesome gaming PC that can do 4K 120 and yeah I tested it out. And yeah oh my god. Thing is, I'm probably upgrading my monitors to 4K 144 soon, so I don't necessarily need the TV to do it. My card gets a little bit strange with three displays hooked up to it and I can't easily select between main display, extended second display, etc. I essentially have to shut the TV off in the Nvidia control panel to get the PC to work the way I want it to and then re-enable it when I want a game on the television. It's just annoying. Any advice with that would be super helpful.

Sorry for the novel. I appreciate the comment.

Fbh

Several months with mine and I still love it.

My only real complaint is the "game optimizer" audio mode and the way the TV insists on switching to it every time I turn on my Ps5. I really don't get the point of it, I hear no noticeable delay in the other audio modes and they don't make my $1000 TV sound like a something you'd find in a cheap hotel.

OLED is so beautiful, can’t deal with the stress of worrying about burn in though

in my personal experience after a few months you just stop worrying.
The only thing I've changed in the way I use my TV (compared to the previous one) is that if I go to bathroom or something like that I turn the TV off instead of leaving it on the pause menu of a game.
Though I wish there was button to manually trigger the screensaver (it kicks in on the built in apps but not HDMI content)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are people playing tlou part 1 with Hgig or DTM ?
I am trying to remember how I played god of war and uncharted 4.... similar games with no/bad hdr settings

Just becareful. The rest of what you'll hear is mostly just internet hyperbole.
Yeah, it's a long-term subtractive effect, it doesn't happen overnight and the average effect of burning out is very small. It's just something to be aware of if you have the same logo or UI on the screen for thousands of hours. I'll admit though that I still keep a min brightness, slightly desaturated eco preset so I can switch for when I'm away from the TV or I'm idly watching Youtube videos or w/e while doing other things.

I bought one of those Asus OLED laptops recently. The panel is manufactured by Samsung, has a peak brightness of ~600nits, a resolution of 2880*1800 @ 14" screen diagonal and a healthy colour gamut. I can say that the display "pwns balls" and the laptop itself has a nice, clean aesthetic and seems well-built, but as per usual it comes loaded with a lot of trash so a fresh install helps. It also has a GTX 1650 Max-Q so I can push it to play some games (notably, it's possible to play God of War using FSR 2.0 Performance up to native screen res at 30fps and it looks good as hell in HDR. I wish more games had FSR 2.0 even if performance gains are limited on this class of GPU)

Anyway, with this I own three OLED screens. Sadly my monitor is still an IPS LCD and that isn't going to change any time soon, but we do finally have affordable laptop OLEDs.

Reactions: XXL
Still glad my wife convinced me to go with the C1 over an X90J based on happenstance, as she was wowed by it while we were in Costco. i don’t like that it will have burn in eventually, but if prices are falling as expected it shouldn’t be a terrible thing to replace years from now. The rest of the advantages are worth it, though I’m not sure I’d go OLED for a handheld screen or monitor.

MaKTaiL

Several months with mine and I still love it.

My only real complaint is the "game optimizer" audio mode and the way the TV insists on switching to it every time I turn on my Ps5. I really don't get the point of it, I hear no noticeable delay in the other audio modes and they don't make my $1000 TV sound like a something you'd find in a cheap hotel.

in my personal experience after a few months you just stop worrying.
The only thing I've changed in the way I use my TV (compared to the previous one) is that if I go to bathroom or something like that I turn the TV off instead of leaving it on the pause menu of a game.
Though I wish there was button to manually trigger the screensaver (it kicks in on the built in apps but not HDMI content)
You can use the voice command to turn screen off without turning off the TV. I do this all the time.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
People who put led lights behind their tv are just as tacky who put their tv above a fire place
Hey I have led lights behind mine. I just set it to white. My bedroom light is too bright and adds glare. The leds soften the brightness of the TV at night and give me enough light to do what I need to without glare.

Hey I have led lights behind mine. I just set it to white. My bedroom light is too bright and adds glare. The leds soften the brightness of the TV at night and give me enough light to do what I need to without glare.
Don't think I'd go with led lights myself, but it's literally exponentially more understandable than a TV above the fireplace

Whoever came up with that idea should be fed a diet of charcoal until their organs shut down

NewYork214

I just picked up the 77in Bravia a80k. Got it yesterday. Trying video games now finally. Anyone recommend best ps5 games for the awe factor of Oled?

Coming from a 4k x90h. So seen all the benefits from 120 and vrr. Might pick up last of us part 1 to be my first full game experience on it. Wish the bastards did a game trial for it.

Edit: might check out ps5 version of cyberpunk finally. Haven't played the game since few months after it launched on a base ps4

Last edited:
I tried the LED lights behind the screen thing and it was extremely distracting. Some people also claim it helps improve the perception of LCD contrast but that is absolutely not true in my experience lol.

MarkyG

So, I bit the bullet and dipped my toe into the OLED pond. I've ordered the Asus ROG Swift PG24UQ. Should arrive tomorrow. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit giddy. Anyone have experience with this monitor?

Well I just got my Sony A90J. Don't have my PS5 yet since its being shipped over. Switch games look better than I expected on it though. No idea what they did to accomplish that.

Imtjnotu

Been gaming on my 48" c2 for a few months now and love it.

Decided instead of replacing my 65" c9 with a newer one that I'd just upgrade my computer monitor. C9 for movies, C2 for games

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have a Sony A80K that I am really enjoying. It's nice to be able to buy something that makes everything look better. One of the few, re-listening to music when you get new speakers/audio gear would be another, but there aren't many things like that.
I mean you buy a new fridge and it's not like you get to "re-enjoy" all your favorite foods at a higher level. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
OLED is so beautiful, can’t deal with the stress of worrying about burn in though
I had same concerns too.

I bought Sony A8H / A85 55" at january 2020, bought extra warranty coverage for 5 years that includes burn in for 89€.

I have used it A LOT, last time I checked hours, it had like 6000h or something like that, I basically keep it on always when I'm at home.

I have not limited amount of gaming compared to when I had lcd. I watch tv, mostly series + movies, I dont watch sports or "news channels".

So, I have not tried to save the panel at all basically, I also have it at 100% brightness almost always.

So far I have not seen any burn in, I watch lot of dark movies too which should show it easily. I havent done grey test pictures lately, maybe there is something to see, but it would be pointless as I cant see anything on normal use. And I am easily annoyed by these things, so if I cant see burn in, there probably isnt anything to see.

ps. oled image is just so beautiful. After you go to pure black, you cant go back.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

I have a Sony A80K that I am really enjoying. It's nice to be able to buy something that makes everything look better. One of the few, re-listening to music when you get new speakers/audio gear would be another, but there aren't many things like that.
I mean you buy a new fridge and it's not like you get to "re-enjoy" all your favorite foods at a higher level. :messenger_grinning:
Dude, how insane blade runner 2049 looks with pure stream on an a80k though?

Have you tried bravia core yet?

It has a very small collection but with pure stream whats there are incredible to watch.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Dude, how insane blade runner 2049 looks with pure stream on an a80k though?

Have you tried bravia core yet?

It has a very small collection but with pure stream whats there are incredible to watch.

I haven't had a chance yet but I browsed it a few weeks ago, thanks for the reminder. Think they gave some free credits too.

Chiggs

Well I just got my Sony A90J. Don't have my PS5 yet since its being shipped over. Switch games look better than I expected on it though. No idea what they did to accomplish that.

It’s a great TV. I actually prefer it my Samsung S95B. The remote control is a masterpiece.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Lg to release new smaller oled sizes.

27 and 32 inch
Finally i can get rid of my ultrawide monitor

hY9Q7qb.jpg

Let's go.
012pqQe.gif

Another man of culture I see, picked up a Philips OLED myself a few months back as the 2021 models were on sale. It had been a while since I last seen Ambilight but this latest iteration is almost as impressive as the display itself. Makes the TV seem bigger & brighter when the light matches the on-screen action and fills your peripheral vision.

Top Bottom