• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Lonely_Wolf1886

Neo Member
XONE X just received an update, that disabled HDR10 for gaming, which worked before flawlessly, stating that the TV (LG OLED55C6V) would support HDR10 for TV but not for gaming. First there was burn-in on the screen, which wouldn't exist, then they basically scammed with Dolby Vision and now HDR10 got disabled.

Of course someone will state that it wouldn't be LG's fault, as if the industry wouldn't play one into the hand of another! ;)

Bottom line: The reaction barrier for buying an OLED or any TV of that expense was significantly raised. Never I was scammed that much by a hardware manufacturer and the way the industry straight lies into the customer's face that burn-in wouldn't be a thing is scandalous. Seeing how many people obviously take part in a conspiracy hiding the fact that the issue exists, with arguments that sound like "Did you wash your TV? You know that if you take it off the power that the TV can't wash itself?" that have only been created so the manufacturer can say "You pulled your TV from power - a lack of power damaged it since nothing can happen in that state!" are the epitome of blatant, right into the face lying "I think you're dumb and I can pull off anything I want with you."-statements that were only created by them for being able to talk themselves out of their warranty and that given by the corresponding local laws.
XBOX ONE X received an update, that disabled HDR10?

Siri

Banned
The LG C9 continues to smackdown the offerings from Samsung.

What is ‘Game Mode’?

On my LGC9 55 (which I’m using with my RTX 2080 TI) I see Game (User) under the HDR Picture Mode setting. Is that what I’m supposed to be using for gaming?

Because I’ve actually been using Technicolor Expert.

Clarissa

Banned
What is ‘Game Mode’?

On my LGC9 55 (which I’m using with my RTX 2080 TI) I see Game (User) under the HDR Picture Mode setting. Is that what I’m supposed to be using for gaming?

Because I’ve actually been using Technicolor Expert.
Yes you're supposed to use game mode for both HDR and SDR video game content.

There's a setting that enables game mode automatically when you're playing a game but I'm not at home to check it for you.

LOLCats

Banned
Yes you're supposed to use game mode for both HDR and SDR video game content.

There's a setting that enables game mode automatically when you're playing a game but I'm not at home to check it for you.
He be using a pc video card. TV input probably be set to PC which i think disables most enhancements (basically game mode) other than color modes. But youd have to research that. for ps4, xb1 the c9 auto switches to game mode.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Snagged a 55 inch C9 for a great deal at Best Buy. It's sitting in my mud room right now just waiting for me to get the balls to mount the thing. If I don't unbox it within a week I'll return it because it just means that I didn't want the thing.

Blond

Banned
Okay guys I did it.

Unboxed, mounted and calibrated and I feel like my TCL looks better.

That should be wrong, should I opt for a professional calibration or do you guys have a different option other than the calibration disc from AVS forum?

Ulysses 31

Okay guys I did it.

Unboxed, mounted and calibrated and I feel like my TCL looks better.

That should be wrong, should I opt for a professional calibration or do you guys have a different option other than the calibration disc from AVS forum?
OLED does have a color bias because of the use of color filters and lower color gamut, maybe you're more sensitive to that? :lollipop_confounded:

Blond

Banned
OLED does have a color bias because of the use of color filters and lower color gamut, maybe you're more sensitive to that? :lollipop_confounded:

Potentially. I feel like this could be like when I upgraded from my ATX 50 headphones to my AKGs that didn't have as much bass boosting and sound "coloring" then I understood what a more balanced and detailed sound was.

I'll go through my settings one more time and report back in a couple days. Hopefully once my eyes adjust I'll have a different impression.

Tygeezy

Potentially. I feel like this could be like when I upgraded from my ATX 50 headphones to my AKGs that didn't have as much bass boosting and sound "coloring" then I understood what a more balanced and detailed sound was.

I'll go through my settings one more time and report back in a couple days. Hopefully once my eyes adjust I'll have a different impression.
Just load up a space movie or anything with a lot of dark content with bright hdr highlights in the same scene. The C9 will crush your tcl.

holygeesus

Banned
You don't want to be copying settings for white balance anyway. They will do more harm than good. If you don't have your own meter to calibrate yourself, you are best sticking to the defaults for gamma and CMS.

Kagey K

Banned
You don't want to be copying settings for white balance anyway. They will do more harm than good. If you don't have your own meter to calibrate yourself, you are best sticking to the defaults for gamma and CMS.
Yeah I didn’t touch the white balance or any of that just the isf dark, sharpness blah blah blah.

The basics. They even tell you not to use thier white balance settings.

TheBoss1

HDR, especially Dolby Vision, and dark scenes are where the current OLEDs shine. Watching broadcast and other low resolution material will make your OLED feel not so special.

Blond

Banned
I'm determined to like my C9.

I bought a calibrator tool and I'm going to spend some time with it calibrating it to morning. I'm understanding why my picture looks so weird, look how much blue is my picture!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
LG Germany disclosed some prices of their next generation TV's. Source

LOLCats

Banned
for all you guys with oleds, do yourself a favor and get an nvidia shield for streaming video. the ai upscaling is no joke and i love the 80+ video modes omg!

Blond

Banned
for all you guys with oleds, do yourself a favor and get an nvidia shield for streaming video. the ai upscaling is no joke and i love the 80+ video modes omg!

I have the shield pro, don't I have to upgrade to use it or was it finally ported over?

LOLCats

Banned
I have the shield pro, don't I have to upgrade to use it or was it finally ported over?
thats what i have (2019 version), idk if the 2017 model had same features, i thought so. but it should be obvious when you hit menu "ai upscaling".

edit: i guess its not available on older models.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned

Does this make 1080p Netflix and iTunes shows look better? I have a C9 connected to my Windows machine (RTX 2080ti).

Tygeezy

Does this make 1080p Netflix and iTunes shows look better? I have a C9 connected to my Windows machine (RTX 2080ti).
Yes, it’s for 1080 p up scaling and it does a good job. You don’t need it if you have your pc hooked up to it though. if you want to have good upscaling for movies, use madvr for video playback on pc.

If you wanted to watch the streaming services like Netflix, Disney plus, prime video, then a shield would be worth it because the apps on pc aren’t so great and the ai upscaling is very good for lower resolution content.

Last edited:

Fawst

Banned
Hey, I’m looking at an LG C9 or E9. Just found out the E-series was discontinued, and the E9 replaced with the GX. I’m so tempted to pull the trigger on a 55” E9 now, but without any new products in the lineup, I’m wary. Don’t want to find out I have a defective unit with no replacement screen available. Ugh.

My Panasonic plasma 50PZ800U has burn in from the Destiny 2 hud in the lower left corner, and with the new consoles nearly upon us, it’s time to upgrade after 12 years. The thing that worries me is hearing that OLED is a 2-3 year lifespan. Coming off this absolute beast of a display, I’m cringing at the thought of replacing so soon.

Anyone have any IR/BI nightmare stories with extensive gaming, or is it really more of a myth/extreme case scenario?

Darkone

My Oled i on the other side of my PC on the living room, anyone a device that will let the pc to stay always connected Instead of pulling a long cable while i play and disconnect it at the end of the day?
the device needs to support 4K & HDR.

Xtib81

So I've just bought an E9 and here is what I've discovered
We all agree that this is not acceptable, right ? I don't see it while watching normal content but still, it pisses me off to spend that much for such a result.

Ulysses 31

So I've just bought an E9 and here is what I've discovered
We all agree that this is not acceptable, right ? I don't see it while watching normal content but still, it pisses me off to spend that much for such a result.

iu

Can't call LG to have it replaced?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Kinda Random but I was watching the DF video about the patched RDR2 HDR mode and one of the guys said that they set their OLED white level to 3300. That seems crazy high for an oled? AM I crazy?

Yeah, a technician is coming in a few days, they will likely replace it but the E9 is discontinued so I will likely get a c9 instead.

They can probably just replace the panel...why would they replace the E9 with the C9 (I mean, I know why but how would they authorize that with it being a significant downgrade?)

When I had panels replaced on my (much older) OLEDs, they were able to do this. Maybe not with the E9 because it's more 'all glass' design?

I don't know man, I would be pretty upset if that's the end result. One of the most frustrating/egregious instances of poor grey uniformity I've seen...

Edit: redditers are saying they can issue a replacement panel and you will keep the original stand.

Top Bottom