• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Photography Challenge Thread #131: Greenspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Good job, all! And thanks to those who've voted for me.

:)

My votes:

First Place:

Nikon D7000
12mm
f/11.0
ISO 640
3 exposures (1/100s, 1/200s, 1/50s)

Very nice image all around. Wonderful colours, perfect composition. My only complaint, and one that can be levelled at my own entry, is that I wish the scene was placed in better relation to a city, better capturing the feeling of developed 'greenspace,' rather than nature.

Runner-up:

Something a little different:

greenspaces2.jpg

Canon QL17 and Ilford HP5.

In a lot of ways, I'm voting for this photo for the exact opposite reason as Pringles'. It's gorgeous, and just as nicely composed as Pringles' shot and really captures that developed 'greenspace' feeling, but I felt that the black and white conversion held it back from really embracing the theme. Monochrome grey is the colour of concrete and steel, cities, urban architecture and industry, all of which the theme is looking to displace.

Comments:

Xun - Lovely colours, nicely exposed, super crisp. No complaints, just didn't excite me with regards to the theme.

Aguila Blue, green and red are an interesting colour combination. It feels over-saturated to me, though, and I think the composition could use some work.

Jasoneyu - It's a nice photo, creamy bokeh and all, and I like your take on the theme.

Lumix - I like the composition, and the sense of scale, but it feels like the photo is trying to be a super-wide fisheye photo... but isn't. I think the photo also would have worked better at a different time of day, so the boughs of the tree wouldn't be lost in shadows.

DD – Love the post-processing + subject. Feels a little under-exposed, but that also sorta works. An honorable mention from me.

subversus - Great photo. I love the soft focus. It doesn't quite touch close enough to the theme for me, but I like it regardless. I think this would work really well as a black and white.

BlueTsunami - Something about this photo makes me vaguely uncomfortable, though I can't put my finger on what. Reminds me of a Miyazaki movie.

QualityPixel - Great colours, nice bokeh.

Damaged - I like the composition, especially the leaves trailing out of the frame, but I'm not digging the exposure.

pixelated - Perfect Focus, nice colours. I wish there was a bit more context to the photo, however. A bee, some waterdrops?

RayStorm - A nice idea. I didn't see the folks sitting at the picnic bench until the 3rd or 4th time I looked at the picture, though! A step or two to the right would've made all the difference.

guess - Great take on the theme. Would've loved to have seen the phone being lifted against an urban backdrop, though.

Thraktor

In a lot of ways, I'm voting for this photo for the exact opposite reason as Pringles'. It's gorgeous, and just as nicely composed as Pringles' shot and really captures that developed 'greenspace' feeling, but I felt that the black and white conversion held it back from really embracing the theme. Monochrome grey is the colour of concrete and steel, cities, urban architecture and industry, all of which the theme is looking to displace.

Thanks for the comments and the vote. There wasn't actually any "conversion", though, as it was shot on b&w film (I explained why in a post in the photography thread along with some of my rejects from this assignment).

tch

1.) DD

2.) Jasoneyu

Really bummed I didn't have a submission this time around. Bring on the next one!

Alrighty, the count is done! Maybe we should have someone right an easy script for tabulation next time lol.

1) aidan - 19 points
2) pringles - 14 points
3) Thraktor - 11 points
4) DD - 8 points
5) Jasoneyu - 8 points
6) subversus - 8 points
7) pixelated - 6 points
8) guess - 3 points
9) Lumix - 2 points

Congrats to all entries.

Damaged

Damaged - I like the composition, especially the leaves trailing out of the frame, but I'm not digging the exposure.

Yeah I really should have tried harder with this assignment, gone over quite a few edits I did that day and they are all way too dark :(

Anyway, congrats on the win!! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the next assignment

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Anyway, congrats on the win!! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the next assignment

Congrats Aidan, lovely photo.

Thanks everyone for the comments/votes on my own pic!

Well done aidan, looking forward to what you come up with for the next challenge.

Thanks, all! I've won a few of these, but it never fails to surprise me and make me feel grateful to this community. So, cheers for all those who voted for me!

And, in commemoration, the top three photos:

Winner:

4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D
Lens Canon 50mm f/1.8
Focal Length 50mm
Shutter Speed 1/125 sec
Aperture f/22
ISO/Film 400

View larger

Runner-Up:

Nikon D7000