• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Slot Cloggers (NHL 12 EASHL)

well damn no one said anything to me when I was in the room. next time I'll just take the spot so maybe someone will say something

if anyone's planning on leaving and there's a spot open tell me so I don't join and get bailed on like usual

Marvie_3

Banned
Real solid night tonight. 7-2-0. We played quite a bit better. Still looking for too many passes that aren't there at times but there was definite improvement with being patient with the puck and making good decisions.

The very first game of the night was brutal. Didn't recognize the team until it was too late but they cheesed the shit out of us the last time we played them too.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Great night all around, sorry ph33nix we were rolling really good, didn't want to mess up that chemistry. Best win was against those piece of shit cheesers that were up on us by 2-3 goals and we came back and won with 22 seconds left. Good shit tonight too Noz, you were feeding me beauty passes all night. Feels pretty rewarding when we're all playing that well, and Show and his buddy did a great job on D too.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Great night all around, sorry ph33nix we were rolling really good, didn't want to mess up that chemistry. Best win was against those piece of shit cheesers that were up on us by 2-3 goals and we came back and won with 22 seconds left. Good shit tonight too Noz, you were feeding me beauty passes all night. Feels pretty rewarding when we're all playing that well, and Show and his buddy did a great job on D too.

No one was more surprised than me :p It does help that you're always finding a gap to get open. You were feeding me some sweet passes too. We had some great timing and really clicked on rushes as well. I especially liked it when I managed to get both you and Marvie confused and wildly out of position

Really good PK's on my 47 penalties tonight!

Red_Man

:lol 47 might be down playing it ;) we're a pretty decent trio, all being able to make great passes and score at any time since I've finally been able to find my scoring touch

zsswimmer

Sorry for bailing immediately into that first game, but I'm terrible whenever I keep trying to play in the EASHL. At least I can stop a cross crease in OTP....

Marvie_3

Banned
‘NHL 13′ Hands-On Preview

Player animations have once again been updated, granting new levels of simulation to bodychecking and wheeling. The animations aren’t just for show, but a sign that last year’s Full Contact Physics engine has now been applied to the players’ individual limbs, with the new skating and momentum lying at the heart of NHL 13 player movement. Luckily for fans the introduction video that ships with the game explains how the new skating system is directly changed from NHL 12, on both sides of the puck.

Simply put: the players on screen actually do skate. A player catching a turnover at the blue line will move up the ice faster than the defenseman skating backward, unless that defenseman’s stats are higher than those of the attacker. The same principle is at play when stopping and starting, where momentum was never perceptibly lost or gained in previous games when attempting to shake a defenseman by moving up and down the sideboards.

Now that momentum is taken into account, a forward’s decision to sacrifice momentum in an attempt to shake the d-man will have serious consequences, as they must then work from a stand still to get back up to speed. Of course, the quicker forward will also be more likely to stop, explode in the opposite direction, and leave their man scrambling to catch up. These exchanges really do need to be seen next to last year’s version to see the scale of the change, but even from first glance the nature of the skating more closely resembles what’s seen on TV.

All of this speed comes with a price though, as any hockey fan knows that a player going flat-out down the outside won’t have a hope of cutting to the net, especially with a defenseman pressing. Similarly, a forward skating through the slot has a much harder time putting their puck precisely where they mean to. The solution for players of NHL 13 – just like actual hockey players – is to back off accelerating, and glide before attempting to corner sharply or fire the puck. In an extra dose of simulation, gliding players are still able to gain a boost when again exploding forward, giving them an extra step on unsuspecting defensemen or goaltenders.

For those budding defensemen out there, it should be explained that the new skating system won’t just be favoring the attackers. Smart stick plays on forwards means d-men can chase down pucks while their opponents are still wondering what happened. For defensemen with the puck in their own end, the chance to fool forecheckers doesn’t just force their opponents to lose momentum, but lose their endurance in the process – assuming there is a forechecker. Which brings us to the new EA Sports True I.Q. artificial intelligence.

As demonstrated by EA Sports’ Ben Ross – who just happens to narrate the game’s tutorial video – players now have the ability to be directed and coached far more intelligently. When a 1-3-1 forecheck formation has been selected, players literally plant themselves across the neutral zone waiting for the opposition to make a play. Pushing up the agression level of the formation sends more players in to forecheck, but if left as is, the defending team will allow the forwards to bring the puck out of their end, only collapsing to one side or the other once the red line is crossed. Control of formations has been present in past games, but to see the AI working shows that the players really are smarter than ever. And the increased I.Q. extends to the goalie as well.

One thing the developers noticed, Ross explained, is that as improved as the goalies were in NHL 12, the ability of forwards to move laterally without any physical realism meant that goaltenders needed to be able to react with impossible speed to one-timers or dekes.

The new true I.Q. gave the team the technology necessary to let goalies become aware of every player on the ice, not just the puck-carrier. Without the inhuman reaction time, goalies must now ‘cheat’ off of one post if they predict a one-timer is likely, or if a player attacks from behind the net. This addition, along with each goaltender’s limb being given even more range of motion means that both animations and the skill required to outsmart a goalie have been increased.

The best news for longtime hockey fans is that Electronic Arts has finally given EA Sports the funding to provide a full graphical overhaul for all in-game assets. For the first time in years, the jersey texture, shadowing on both skaters and the ice itself, and the fans in the crowd look to capture what this generation of consoles is really capable of. And yes, the players – at least those shown on Los Angeles and New Jersey – actually do resemble the real life athletes. The improved graphics go hand in hand with the updated presentation style, featuring a broadcast camera shot prior to each face-off, and post-whistle animations that reflect the player’s actions on the ice in real-time. These are all small touches, but are much more noticable and realistic than what was introduced in NHL 12.

We asked Ross about our suspicions that the development team was bringing some sense of lingering or chronic injuries to the series’ popular Be a Pro Mode. While he wouldn’t confirm or deny the idea, he did explain that the team had some announcements left to make, and information surrounding that type of persistent gameplay might be among them.

NHL 13 will be released on September 11 for the Xbox 360 and PS3. If you have any questions about the new changes, feel free to ask and we’ll do our best to answer them.
The opposing teams are going to collapse from exhaustion with Viz and Show back there. :lol

Red_Man

games tonight?

We have space for 1 more forward if anyone feels like playing

nevermind were good

Marvie_3

Banned
HOLY SHIT WE WILL BE PLAYING NHL 13 IN 3 MONTHS

NHL 13 preorder bonuses:

gamestop-black-button.jpg

Pre-order* NHL ® 13 and receive 1 Gold pack of Hockey Ultimate Team for (16) sixteen weeks (September – December 2012).

retailers_best_buy_logo.png

Pre-order* NHL® 13 and receive the official Reebok 20K Boost pack that gives your Be a Pro and EA SPORTS Hockey League character that extra edge.

AmazonLogo.jpeg

Pre-order* NHL® 13 and receive the official BAUER Boost pack that enhances your Be a Pro and EA SPORTS Hockey league character.

retailers_origin_logo.png

Pre-order* NHL® 13 at Origin and receive the official Goalie boost to give your goalie that added boost to your Be a Pro and EA SPORTS Hockey League character.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
HOLY SHIT WE WILL BE PLAYING NHL 13 IN 3 MONTHS

NHL 13 preorder bonuses:

And we'll finally know who the best armchair GM is! I'm so excited for any kind of management league, playing, NHL 13 GM or just yahoo.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
wait

Did I see that right

Origin??

Oh...it's just EA's fucking store. I thought they were doing a PC version

I've given up the hope for a resurrection of the NHL franchise on PC :( I don't know what's stopping EA -sigh-, just make a controller mandatory, w/e, enough people have one to play it that way :(

Marvie_3

Banned
I remember when they stopped because their ports became super crappy, and how sad I was... now I just don't see what the problem is :(
Development is too expensive. They're a small team as it is, adding more people just to make a PC port would mean that even less stuff gets done every year.

It was weird, we whooped ass on them in the first game and then that second game...it's almost like they decided to start trying?

We did play the same team B2B

Red_Man

Good games later tonight with Viz, we tore shit up, no team really put up a challenge, we keep playing like this and we can get into the elite division no problem. Good shit.

Top Bottom