• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've been trying to practice Dedede's chain throw and I'm finally starting to get it. Out of curiosity, what all were you trying to do to get out of it/how difficult was it? Was it because of the lag that dodging it was so hard?

Jiggy

I'm--actually not sure what I was doing. :lol I can say that I was trying to use ukemi in place since MrCheez has said that's the way to break out of it, but I'm not that familiar with R.O.B.'s animations yet, so I couldn't tell if I was actually rolling in one direction, or if the throw flat-out knocks R.O.B. back to a standing position, or if Dedede was catching him in midair.

slayn

it puts you in a standing position, the characters that get knocked down are the ones that *can't* be chain thrown. Like I think I tried it briefly against pikachu but couldn't do it because pika gets knocked down.

infiniteloop said:
Toy Soldier kicked my ass 2-0

Nah, there was no ass kicking, haha. That second one was intense, all it took was one lucky grab for me to win that one.

Anyway, here's the full stats for Firestorm:

Toy Soldier (Pokémon Trainer) over infiniteloop (Meta Knight) on Yoshi's Island
Toy Soldier (Pokémon Trainer) over infiniteloop (Mario) on Mario Kart

Bloodwake

Alright, Dr. Hadji had to leave, so he gave me the forfeit.

We only played one stage, the first one: Yoshi's Island. I won, he used King Dedede, and I used Capt. Falcon. He forfeited toward the end.

Our game was riddled with horrid lag.

Thanks to Dr. Hadji, we tried to play the best we could.

Jiggy

I wonder what it is about human psychology that makes practically everybody exaggerate their losses and downplay their wins. There are all these people claiming I destroyed them when in my view they were practically even matches. And then on the other hand there are people like Ysiadmihi where I'll be like "man, you dominated that one; I never stood a chance" and he'll be like "nah, stop being sarcastic" even though he was up two stock at 102% damage when I died and it was a three-stock match. >_>

Edit: Aww, I missed my Dr.Hadji prediction too. :(

So what exactly is the deadline for Round 2 going to be?

I just found I have to go out of town this weekend, so I am worried I might not make it back in time. Will probably be back on Tuesday.

I wouldn't mind doing my match early if it were possible heh.

slayn

Jiggy37 said:
I wonder what it is about human psychology that makes practically everybody exaggerate their losses and downplay their wins. There are all these people claiming I destroyed them when in my view they were practically even matches. And then on the other hand there are people like Ysiadmihi where I'll be like "man, you dominated that one; I never stood a chance" and he'll be like "nah, stop being sarcastic" even though he was up two stock at 102% damage when I died and it was a three-stock match. >_>

Edit: Aww, I missed my Dr.Hadji prediction too. :(
You just said you were owned by me even though I thought a lot of them were pretty close matches. So you tell us ;P

Jiggy37 said:
That's exactly why I'm wondering. >_>
I think it's just a sign of good sportsmanship amongst the smash community. The people who lost are offering up congratulations, and the victors are remaining modest.

Much preferable, to "LMAO, U GOT PWNEDZ!!!" and "NO FAIR, LAG, THIS GAME SUX!"

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Akia said:
Mila and I are about to have a match.

Who do you guys think is going to win?

Whoever it is, expect to lose to me. ;)

Not

EDIT: I feel bad whoever has to play slayn. Kusagari told me he's incredible, which is especially impressive since he was playing as Ike.

Okay I just played TwinIon and beat him in two good matches

layzie1989 (Lucas) vs TwinIon (Peach) on Yoshi's Island
layzie1989 (Lucas) vs TwinIon (Peach) on Battlefield

Christine

layzie1989 said:
Okay I just played TwinIon and beat him in two good matches

layzie1989 (Lucas) vs TwinIon (Peach) on Yoshi's Island
layzie1989 (Lucas) vs TwinIon (Peach) on Battlefield

gg, layzie.

Jiggy

Keru_Shiri said:
I think it's just a sign of good sportsmanship amongst the smash community. The people who lost are offering up congratulations, and the victors are remaining modest.

Much preferable, to "LMAO, U GOT PWNEDZ!!!" and "NO FAIR, LAG, THIS GAME SUX!"
I blame lag even when I win.
<_<

Edit: I'm actually being serious, incidentally. That's why (I'm pretty sure) I've never once said I'm great at Smash--I don't think online play is any kind of decent indicator unless it's really lagless.

Firestorm

Substitutions:
ganondorf>link replaced by CassSept / Cass / 4253-3297-0554
Ryuuga replaced by rhfb / CJR / 2406-4810-4596
TJ Spyke replaced by Mike T /cumt / 1547-4970-7165
Gamer @ Heart replaced by Michan / NoU / 0387-8477-0052
The M.O.B replaced by Kwokuen / ! / 4940-5096-6077
radiuhm replaced by Weepy / weegi / 2750 0821 7749
Mii replaced by Beezy / J.B / 2062-8833-7284
War Machine replaced by Shanks / Shane / 2320-5813-7527
ArtanisIX replaced by dragonlife29 / DRAGN / 1590 4362 4360

Tell me if any of these people actually responded but never posted (thus messing up my records and thinking they were inactive).

Opponents of

Scribble
Ril
Kevtones
Gekkonidae
Fuzzery

will likely move on due to forfeit.

Sprucy, you will also move on due to forfeit. You will not get a sub because RoboPlato is at least interested.

Everyone who is in contact with their opponent but hasn't had their match yet, please hurry! I don't want round 2 to lag behind too much.

PMs are going to be sent out soon.

Armubaba and I are trying to have our game but we're both sitting in wifi mode waiting for each other to register. Anyone know how long this should usually take?

armubaba

miggsthejust said:
Armubaba and I are trying to have our game but we're both sitting in wifi mode waiting for each other to register. Anyone know how long this should usually take?

Yeah, we've pretty much been waiting here for 45 minutes, not being able to get a game going because we are each stuck at the "awaiting registration" screen.

armubaba

Firestorm said:
Try logging off the service and back on? Or deleting and adding again?
Otherwise, you could try it tomorrow =(

Yeah, it's looking like tomorrow is the only option man. Sorry to have delayed the tourney and all, but nothing seems to be working.

:(

Arol

Firestorm said:
Opponents of

OgnodoD
Scribble
Ril
Kevtones
Gekkonidae
Fuzzery

Are they out of the tournament? Or will they be playing their second round losers bracket match?

Firestorm

Gamer @ Heart said:
Shit. I just saw my opponents IM and sent him my FC. I should have come here first. So firestorm, am i shit out of luck?

I was just about to put up new brackets, but I guess I could replace someone else with you considering Android's already PMed Michan. Check back more often. You will replace OgnodoD. You are playing Jiggy37.

Jiggy

And to think I was all set to party since opponent forfeits were the only way my noob self was going to get anywhere in this tournament. :( Oh well.

Anyway, if you're available now, Gamer, that's probably fine. I want a lag test match first, though, since I just got out of a series of laggy matches against yeb and another series of laggy matches against Shamrock7r. If ours are lagless, I'll actually need to adjust. :lol

Edit: Pokemon Stadium (Melee) is my counterpick.

I am available.

I think we added each other already but just in case, my fc is 2320-5868-0302

I'll create the room since i have shitty luck connecting to other people.

Firestorm

Yeah sorry jiggy, I just figured you were someone who wouldn't hold it against me >_> I don't like doing bait and switch either =(

Round 2 (Deadline: Saturday March 29th, 10:00 PM Pacific / Wednesday 5:00 AM GMT)
First Stage: Final Destination
stage25_thumbnail.jpg

Bracket (click)

PM your opponent and then post here once you have done so. If you receive a PM, reply to the PM and post here. I need to know how the communication is going. PLEASE read the rules over again. Do not deviate from the rules.

If you guys want to use an easy way of coordinating matches, join the irc channel that slayn made:

server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_sb

Use your own IRC client or use the browser-based version: http://irc-pro.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=GlobalGamers&room=#gaf_sb

If you are having networking issues, check Threi's thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256257

Note: Some matches are not done in the first round. Those are either substitutes or those who need one or two more days to finish their matches. I will update once those are done. Please be patient!

Thanks Fire.

Things are not looking good. Im constantly getting the same errors you were jiggy. I will keep trying to join for the next 5 minutes, then you try to join mine again.

Curse you Nintendo!

I'll make a game now. If this doesnt work, i guess we will have to postpon it, perferably late at night because thats when i get the most success (which isnt often anyway). Is that cool with you?

Top Bottom