• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
ftY7W0W.jpg
got it. think i like it? already got it a little smudgy.

danowat

Banned
Trying to decide on a birthday present for myself....

Is there a better value Swiss auto on the market than the Hamilton khaki king?

The strangest thing has happened to my old Seiko 6138. It ran *perfectly* up until me not wearing it for a month or two, and now it runs ludicrously fast--like, it's been gaining a minute almost every hour. I only just started noticing it, so maybe the watch was fine once I started wearing it again and this extra speed is a recent development? Does this sound bad?

danowat

Banned
Bought a cheap automatic

MErc4J1.jpg

Orient Bambino V4.

I like the color and how it reacts to certain light. Its so shiny. The leather is a bit stiff though.

Thats a nice watch, cheap or not, Orient are good timepieces.

I brought myself a birthday present, my first proper swiss auto, a Glycine F104, I've always been a big fan of early jet fighters, and loved the F104, so it was a no brainer!

99968546_v_1423936382.jpg

I'm wondering--what are all the basic tools I need to make little watch adjustments at home? I know I need a holder and a wrench, but what else?

Recommended brands for each component/tool would be greatly appreciated!

I'm probably never going to have the money to be serious about watches, but I've been pretty happy with the theTag watch that my dad used in the 90's:

Here it is with a knockoff rubber strap (I'm down for strap recommendations) :

http://imgur.com/a/KNYtS

I've always liked the ceramic Chanel watches that were in every magazine ad last decade. They look sexy but don't know if they're something worthwhile for people that are into watches. Anyone know anything about those?

I'm probably never going to have the money to be serious about watches, but I've been pretty happy with the theTag watch that my dad used in the 90's:

Here it is with a knockoff rubber strap (I'm down for strap recommendations) :

http://imgur.com/a/KNYtS

I've always liked the ceramic Chanel watches that were in every magazine ad last decade. They look sexy but don't know if they're something worthwhile for people that are into watches. Anyone know anything about those?

Tag gets a lot of shit but honestly they built great watches especially in the late 80's and mid 90's. I think the grief is when they decided to jump price brackets going north and people were offended and pissy.

Awesome watch.

Tag gets a lot of shit but honestly they built great watches especially in the late 80's and mid 90's. I think the grief is when they decided to jump price brackets going north and people were offended and pissy.

Awesome watch.

Thanks! It just ran out of battery after a long time. Might be moldy inside, but it's pretty well built.

What do the timepiece connoisseurs itt think about this one

23591.jpg

I can dream but would this be worth squandering 10-25k? I've wanted this fucker for no reason since I saw it in print like ten years ago.

Radec

Thanks! It just ran out of battery after a long time. Might be moldy inside, but it's pretty well built.

23591.jpg

I can dream but would this be worth squandering 10-25k? I've wanted this fucker for no reason since I saw it in print like ten years ago.

Damn why is that so expensive to begin with?

Chanel looks like a fashion brand than a high end watch maker.

Accoun

Damn why is that so expensive to begin with?

Chanel looks like a fashion brand than a high end watch maker.

Chanel seems to cooperate with Audemars Piguet for at least some of their watches (AP co-designed some movements IIRC) according to Wikipedia, so there's that. Not sure how much of their line has AP's hand in them, though.

[EDIT]
Movement:

Mechanical with manual winding
Self-winding Manufacture movement: CHANEL - AP 3125 Rhodium-plated 22K yellow gold and black high-tech ceramic rotor mounted on high-tech ceramic ball-bearings 60-hour power reserve
Yup, seems so.

There are an awful lot of watches I would consider before this one at this price point.

The visual design is quite derivative, and not super timeless if you ask me, the movement is cool, no question, but it's just acquired by Chanel to get some street cred, and the feel on the wrist is really cheap (I tried one).

That said, if you love black with touch of gold, and you have the 'FU money' to get one, be my guest, there are far worse watches at this price :D

(but please, before you do, try an APRO with a black dial on your wrist, a 15400 for instance, if you still prefer the Chanel, then listen to your heart, not to the haters :D).

There are an awful lot of watches I would consider before this one at this price point.

The visual design is quite derivative, and not super timeless if you ask me, the movement is cool, no question, but it's just acquired by Chanel to get some street cred, and the feel on the wrist is really cheap (I tried one).

That said, if you love black with touch of gold, and you have the 'FU money' to get one, be my guest, there are far worse watches at this price :D

(but please, before you do, try an APRO with a black dial on your wrist, a 15400 for instance, if you still prefer the Chanel, then listen to your heart, not to the haters :D).

Well damn I better prtscr this post for future reference :)

Adam Savage has traded in his Seamaster for a more humble watch;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6JQesX0tFA&
check 6:05.

I respect the SKX more than pretty much all the modern Seamaster... I don't just think it's more humble (humbler??) I think it's just a more honest watch, which is rare.

Also, its short lug makes it the most wearable 41mm diver ever for my tiny wrists :D

Well damn I better prtscr this post for future reference :)

Please do! And keep us posted :)

Accoun

By the way: Pretty sure Adam Savage usually wears the Speedy Pro, not a Seamaster (not sure if he has any in his collection).

I think he mentioned he's sending it off to repairs in one of the recent podcasts. Not that the SKX is a bad replacement. :)

Mave been lurking this thread for a long long time, and can finally share :)

Grand Seiko SBGJ003G with a 9S86 High-Beat complication with GMT

a lot of time and research went into this and i love it. The GMT function was well worth it as well for travel.

Looked at the springdrive as well, but it was just to smooth :D like just listening to the watch tick, very soothing.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome!
Grand Seikos always have been Grail watches for me, and the Hi-Beat movement is iconic.
Congrats on the purchase.

a lot of time and research went into this and i love it. The GMT function was well worth it as well for travel.

Looked at the springdrive as well, but it was just to smooth :D like just listening to the watch tick, very soothing.

Congrats! That's a lovely watch.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Finally found one of these for my roommate.
She no longer wears her fashion watch and is in love.

Seiko SARG013

That's awesome. I love the hi-beat too though I'm likely going for a vintage King Seiko to get it. Then a Spring Drive tuna later. :)

Finally found one of these for my roommate.
She no longer wears her fashion watch and is in love.

Seiko SARG013

That's awesome. I love the hi-beat too though I'm likely going for a vintage King Seiko to get it. Then a Spring Drive tuna later. :)

Cool. I like the clock too lol.

Wounderful piece, congrats!

danowat

Banned
Picked up am SARY057 today in Akihabara, was going to get an SARB033 but it was far too small for my wrist.
Am really happy with the 057, it's a lovely piece, for not a lot of money.

20170514_203017qtytn.jpg

What do you think of it?

I saw them a while back and liked the style, but was put off by the name, silly I know.

The watch feels great, this is my first three figure watch buy. I love the lettering and markings that are real small yet it's spaced out enough to make it really readable. I love the case, Watchgecko did a good job at making this a budget Heuer Camaro and it feels really light for its size. And the chronograph buttons looks like they were taken from a stopwatch, which is hilarious.

The name doesn't really bother me, all Watchgecko did was take the Seiko quartz internals and build a case around it.

that 24 hour subdial is godlike too, I don't have to wait between specific times to reset the date like with other watches (yes I'm lazy)

Frost_Ace

So, I'm not a watch type of guy, but I recenly bought a cheap digital casio, but it gains 2-3 seconds a day (synchronized it with the time of my pc), is this normal? (I'm a total noob regarding watches).

danowat

Banned
So, I'm not a watch type of guy, but I recenly bought a cheap digital casio, but it gains 2-3 seconds a day (synchronized it with the time of my pc), is this normal? (I'm a total noob regarding watches).

No, it's not normal, quartz watches should be very reliable, even the crappest movement should be +/- 5s a week.

ekimneems

Neo Member
Just got two new pieces in the last 6 weeks:

Nomos Tangente 38 (sorry for the bad iPhone wrist shot)

P1N41h5.jpg

Tudor Black Bay (In-House Movement) - this one arrives Thursday

Tudor-Heritage-Black-Bay-2016-in-house-12.jpg

overcast

Newb to watches here but my gf got me a nice one with a 40mm watch band. Turns out that's too small for me and the site she got it on doesn't have larger sizes. Anyone have a source for some fairly priced, decent bands?

Pbae

Newb to watches here but my gf got me a nice one with a 40mm watch band. Turns out that's too small for me and the site she got it on doesn't have larger sizes. Anyone have a source for some fairly priced, decent bands?

Hey man, you sure that it's 40mm for the watch band and not the dimension for the whole watch? That's like the width of a men's belt for pants.

Regardless, here are some sites I like to go to for watch bands. Everything I list, I actually purchased from.

Freda Watch Shop

Crown & Buckle
Taikonaut Watch Bands
Suigeneric (Specialty NATO Style)

Hope that helps and if you want additional recommendations and such just PM me since I come here only on occasions.

danowat

Banned
First Kickstarter watch arrived, Titanium dive watch, seiko NH35 auto movement, ceramic bezel.

It wears really well, a couple of little issues I am not 100% over the moon with, but for the money, it's a good piece.

y4mZwlwOOOdqdZ0Q7XaL_fnllSK_Lq08csT7FkPLjTh5uHJE08cF4W9zgy503FiHA75o3bDTc1652fK0jk2nWaPsSnfTO0By59JfZ6EAj2Bx2q6AH-dgGpFs6X_vS2CYY0irLKClh_0mOwfhu6Kyc5yVoUNySU6j2NUut9eVL5sutP4pJ9fKwVV96V8XkVOuwJQjUdj6A0sM9lED_ySNa_VUw

y4mRtqP_SWZ9w_YN2Ww4VbcfkJz0uKgA0N0lsbN4yID1MtueruF0Wks0Q8plOK0mfnIhxkTk0vDSdj0hrQEHtN7DhiCXkxfD7JACGSXDrmzgHmb-f5Al40o3OYZnYmdSGbjd-Cw0OlLE7EJNN6kOzY-iCfCU1q1Q7tzCWsqTCyUoqST9R6NS2UAIR-C8FOmAvT2iF-XZV4JCDukux-rjBHHJQ

dallow_bg

nods at old men
First Kickstarter watch arrived, Titanium dive watch, seiko NH35 auto movement, ceramic bezel.

It wears really well, a couple of little issues I am not 100% over the moon with, but for the money, it's a good piece.

https://ntljmq-db3pap001.files.1drv.com/y4mZwlwOOOdqdZ0Q7XaL_fnllSK_Lq08csT7FkPLjTh5uHJE08cF4W9zgy503FiHA75o3bDTc1652fK0jk2nWaPsSnfTO0By59JfZ6EAj2Bx2q6AH-dgGpFs6X_vS2CYY0irLKClh_0mOwfhu6Kyc5yVoUNySU6j2NUut9eVL5sutP4pJ9fKwVV96V8XkVOuwJQjUdj6A0sM9lED_ySNa_VUw?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none[IMG]

[IMG]https://ntjbdg-db3pap001.files.1drv.com/y4mRtqP_SWZ9w_YN2Ww4VbcfkJz0uKgA0N0lsbN4yID1MtueruF0Wks0Q8plOK0mfnIhxkTk0vDSdj0hrQEHtN7DhiCXkxfD7JACGSXDrmzgHmb-f5Al40o3OYZnYmdSGbjd-Cw0OlLE7EJNN6kOzY-iCfCU1q1Q7tzCWsqTCyUoqST9R6NS2UAIR-C8FOmAvT2iF-XZV4JCDukux-rjBHHJQ?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none[/MG][/QUOTE]

Not bad. I like the square dial cutouts and touches of blue.

Top Bottom