• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF User Highlighter - A Google Chrome extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Currently rocking this blue tint, and only applied it to the box around my name and avatar and when my post gets quoted by someone. I find the entire text area coloured to be really annoying.

7eb6ff5rkwc.png

#7EB6FF

Happened to me as well.
I opened the script again and the variables were reset (=no user name specified), maybe by auto-downloading a newer version of the script. That seems to be a function of newer versions of Greasemonkey for FF.

Though after I changed the variables and reloaded, GM also gave a warning:
http://wiki.greasespot.net/@grant
Seems like new security options by GM?

Works fine now though.

I came looking for the same thing and felt disappointed to see that nobody helped with something so simple. I have no experience with any sort of code by the way, so sorry if I edited anything I didn't need to.

For re:GAF Go to extensions -> Stylish Options -> neoGAF - re:GAF Edit

Find:
Code:
.alt1, .alt1Active {
background: #E1E1DB !important;
}

.alt2, .alt2Active {
background: #d1d1c9  !important
}

Replace with:
Code:
.alt1, .alt1Active {
background: #E1E1DB;
}

.alt2, .alt2Active {
background: #d1d1c9;
}

Find
Code:
background: #dfded9 !important;

Replace with
Code:
background: #dfded9;

When i do this with neogaf dark it reverts to white backgrounds for posts any ideas?

Atruvius

I take it this doesn't really jive with the new update GAF got. My post's avatar/quote/edit background is white instead of the colour I have set it on.

I take it this doesn't really jive with the new update GAF got. My post's avatar/quote/edit background is white instead of the colour I have set it on.

I was out all day yesterday so I wasn't around to see what changes were made, but they were pretty minor. The updated script is here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/77218

Remember you'll have to edit the script to set it up properly, there's no gui (yet). I should really update the OP...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

No problem on my end. The extension overwrites the new integrated site feature. And I prefer the extension because I can set the colour. I can barely see the 'highlight' for the site's highlighter.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
No problem on my end. The extension overwrites the new integrated site feature. And I prefer the extension because I can set the colour. I can barely see the 'highlight' for the site's highlighter.
Same. The only thing that looks horrible is if you use the dark theme script.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So I thought a long time ago I remember the developer saying something about multi-user highlighting so I could highlight other people's names besides myself. I want to highlight like 20 people.

Toppot

So I thought a long time ago I remember the developer saying something about multi-user highlighting so I could highlight other people's names besides myself. I want to highlight like 20 people.

Edit the script, this part specifically, in bold is if you say want 5 friends the same colour:
Code:
// User list in the format:
// "username": color
var users = {
    "MY_USER_NAME": my_color,
    "FRIEND1": friend_color,
    "FRIEND2": friend_color,
[B]    "FRIEND3": friend_color,
    "FRIEND4": friend_color,
    "FRIEND5": friend_color,[/B]
    "MOD1": mod_color,
    "MOD2": mod_color,
If you want each person to have a different colour that might be more difficult.

You would have to add some code this like (The bolded) for each person.
Code:
var my_color = '#9DB4C4';
var friend_color = '#A7BF97';
var mod_color = '#C49D9D';
[b]var mymom_color = '#040404';[/b]

var users = {
    "MY_USER_NAME": my_color,
    "MOD2": mod_color,
    [b]"MYMOM": mymom_color,[/b]

tino

Banned

Same. I set it to the m.neogaf.comlite green color.

Updated the script again, restructured the whole thing and added some compatibility tweaks for NeoGAF Pro Dark if anyone's using that. Just set "dark_compat" to true in "highlight_options" at the top of the script.

I can't seem to make it work on Firefox. Is something wrong with the updated version or am I doing it wrong?

Code:
// Your colors
// Use can use http://www.colorpicker.com/ to get colors in the hex format
// below.
var my_color = '#D5EDD9';
var friend_color = '#A7BF97';
var mod_color = '#C49D9D';

var users = {
    "Computer": my_color,
    "MOD2": mod_color
};

Sorry, there was a mistake in the updated code:

Code:
// Areas to highlight
var highlight_settings = {
    threads: true,
    quotes: true

// Enable for NeoGAF Pro Dark compatibility tweaks.
    // http://userstyles.org/styles/56218/neogaf-pro-dark
    dark_compat: true
};

There should be a comma after that line. Thanks for letting me know!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is it possible for there to be a change so we can pick a different colour when we're using the dark theme? I like the colour I'm currently using for regular GAF but would prefer to use a different colour when using dark GAF so it's easier to read my own posts. Also, I don't highlight my avatar region in regular GAF but would like to in dark GAF.

Argh, reinstalled my browser & this script, but forgot how to edit in my username in the script.
Where do I go & where do I enter my name for it to be highlighted?
Also the where do I go to edit the color as well?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Argh, reinstalled my browser & this script, but forgot how to edit in my username in the script.
Where do I go & where do I enter my name for it to be highlighted?
Also the where do I go to edit the color as well?

Same page. If you use Chrome it'll be the extension's options page. (Go to chrome://extensions, look for User Highlighter, click the Options link.)

Toppot

Any chance this can also highlight topics you've participated in, or is it not possible?

Pretty handy though.

That would have to be done server side. The script searches for a name on a page, then applies CSS for colours accordingly.

What you can do is go to:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

and scroll down a little form the top to:
Default Thread Subscription Mode

Set that to anything except 'Do not subscribe', and then any thread you post in will be added to your subscriptions:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/subscription.php

Bottom of the first post in this thread. I've tried to keep configuration as simple as possible considering there's no GUI.

I know I'm missing something, but I still can't find where to type in my username.
in the text edit of the script, I replaced the word "username" with my neogaf username & saved it, but that didn't do anything.

I know I'm missing something, but I still can't find where to type in my username.
in the text edit of the script, I replaced the word "username" with my neogaf username & saved it, but that didn't do anything.

Tried out your username and it's working here for me. Make sure it looks like this:

Code:
var highlight_list = {
    "See You Next Wednesday": my_color,
};

The other entries are just examples if you want to add more user/color combinations so don't worry about those if that's what's throwing you off.

Tried out your username and it's working here for me. Make sure it looks like this:

Code:
var highlight_list = {
    "See You Next Wednesday": my_color,
};

The other entries are just examples if you want to add more user/color combinations so don't worry about those if that's what's throwing you off.

Thanks, I was renaming it in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom