• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF user made game: SHADOW OF THE BLOCK

keraj37

I just wanted to share the game I just finished and published.

Here is the store page: Google Play

And very short promo video showing the tutorial:

I would be happy to hear any feedback from gaffers here, however I am aware this not a type of game we like here.

If anyone wants to get it for free, please pm me and I will send you an apk build for android device or I can make a windows standalone build if requested (you know, Unity rules in that subject).

cMKbtOKwiYXXCMfjVuzWlQxaZcerZBY27CNBQKDn55yxDK7CmJwI2i_dcafHWya8bw=w1920-h944

dLaawZ6tFsjt46x6MTyGi5cAnyp7TUfo7oHaLFICf5-apmVh-SftxNb8D5zjxlObzpU=w1920-h944

hgTqc-LjVlMMyhSmGr7FPe6Jrb6AR2wWZNpJL5uvp3-wokDAmELjn0aDH1m1nZnOtFJY=w1920-h944

BTW, I didn't find any container thread for this kind of posts so I created a dedicated thread for it. Mods - feel free to move it to other thread if necessary.

A.Romero

First of all congrats on releasing your game. A lot of us dream with something like that but very few have what it takes.

Gameplay looks interesting. I'll check it out.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Nice to see other game devs are still here. I wanted to start a game dev "container" thread a few days ago.

Your game looks nice. I'm sick of stars in mobile games though. How about changing the stars to golden cubes or sth else? I think it would help with the consistency of your games look.

Last edited:

ar0s

Could the three different 'types' of buttons on the right be split up, made semi see through and controlled through swipe rather than touch alone? Tap tap tap for three moves left doesn't seem as appealing as swipe left and a tiny bit back right to get it into the right spot. Seems like it would be more tactile.

keraj37

Nice to see other game devs are still here. I wanted to start a game dev "container" thread a few days ago.

Your game looks nice. I'm sick of stars in mobile games though. How about changing the stars to golden cubes or sth else? I think it would help with the consistency of your games look.

I don't like stars too but is very recognizable for mobile users and kind of a standard. When user see it he knows instantly what that means. To be honest first idea was diamonds but I left that idea.

Could the three different 'types' of buttons on the right be split up, made semi see through and controlled through swipe rather than touch alone? Tap tap tap for three moves left doesn't seem as appealing as swipe left and a tiny bit back right to get it into the right spot. Seems like it would be more tactile.

Thanks, I will really take your advice for next release - although I made many mobile games I never was forced to concept the UI, only programing it.

Thank you for sharing...will check it out..these sorts of games I enjoy

Thanks, to be honest I don't play games like this however I did an exception for this one :)

Is that NGUI OP?

No it is not NGUI - since Unity 4.6 I am using only builtin UI system which is very good out of the box. I just don't need any plugins for UI anymore.

Last edited:

Jae Mara

Neat! Just watched the video there and think its a cool concept for a puzzle game. I might throw ya a few shekels.

Like others have mentioned creating a small game like this to me is pretty impressive so congrats on that.

Are you still looking to develop, update and add more levels etc?

I would say off the bat, visually it looks quite uninspired but perhaps art is not your strong point.

Have you thought about colour blindness options? No idea if its in there or not but those colours are going to cause potential issues with anyone with Protanopia or Tritanopia colour blindness. Use one of your images in a colour blindness simulator or perhaps Unity already has settings for this kind of stuff?
Also I would drop the gradient on the text for readability reasons for those who struggle with such things.

Also I'm left handed and would probably love the movement system on left-hand side of the screen since I assume one would use those controls a lot more. As well as that I guess most who play games will be use to d-pad controls on the left for movement.

Last edited:

Alebrije

I like those kind of games , great for airport / bussiness traveling. My only concern is why most of them uses the "star" system to show your score/success. Maybe is a Mario legacy.

Jae Mara

My only concern is why most of them uses the "star" system to show your score/success.

From what I can tell they probably came from teaching, using gold stars a rewards. At least it popularised it as a reward system. Maybe movie review scores could predate that?

I dont really get reward systems like these, I try to ignore them if I can. If I think I solved a really hard puzzle and get 2 out of 5 stars then its pretty much telling me I did bad. That initial feeling of success quickly turns into failure.... it doesnt take into consideration an individuals skills/knowledge.

keraj37

Neat! Just watched the video there and think its a cool concept for a puzzle game. I might throw ya a few shekels.

Like others have mentioned creating a small game like this to me is pretty impressive so congrats on that.

Are you still looking to develop, update and add more levels etc?

I would say off the bat, visually it looks quite uninspired but perhaps art is not your strong point.

Have you thought about colour blindness options? No idea if its in there or not but those colours are going to cause potential issues with anyone with Protanopia or Tritanopia colour blindness. Use one of your images in a colour blindness simulator or perhaps Unity already has settings for this kind of stuff?
Also I would drop the gradient on the text for readability reasons for those who struggle with such things.

Also I'm left handed and would probably love the movement system on left-hand side of the screen since I assume one would use those controls a lot more. As well as that I guess most who play games will be use to d-pad controls on the left for movement.

Thanks! Of course I am going to update it frequently with new levels and improvements - including your feedback for left handed users. I have to think about that color issue as I never met with it in real life.

I like those kind of games , great for airport / bussiness traveling. My only concern is why most of them uses the "star" system to show your score/success. Maybe is a Mario legacy.

From what I can tell they probably came from teaching, using gold stars a rewards. At least it popularised it as a reward system. Maybe movie review scores could predate that?

I dont really get reward systems like these, I try to ignore them if I can. If I think I solved a really hard puzzle and get 2 out of 5 stars then its pretty much telling me I did bad. That initial feeling of success quickly turns into failure.... it doesn't take into consideration an individuals skills/knowledge.

Thanks! Like I said, for me this star system is very well known reward system and I didn't want to break with that tradition.
I assumed that mobile gamers like it. I am not a mobile gamer myself but I was playing a lot on mobile but hardcore games like UFO Enemy Within, Tomb Rider GTA - basicly ports from PC/Consoles - so I had to trust the needs of the market.

Jae Mara

Thanks! Like I said, for me this star system is very well known reward system and I didn't want to break with that tradition.
I assumed that mobile gamers like it. I am not a mobile gamer myself but I was playing a lot on mobile but hardcore games like UFO Enemy Within, Tomb Rider GTA - basicly ports from PC/Consoles - so I had to trust the needs of the market.

To be honest, If I was designing a mobile game I would probably use stars and reward systems too regardless about my personal feelings on them. Ha!

I have to think about that color issue as I never met with it in real life.

https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/
Throw one of your images in there. Deutronopioa is estimated to occur in 1% of males. The most common of dichromatic views. may not sound like much but for what is a simple colour/tone swap you are making things a lot easier for people.

Check out Mark Browns video on it colour blindness in games.
also he has one for deaf and hard of hearing, not sure if thats necessarily applicable to your game but worth a watch if interested. It really get ya thinking and overall solidifies good game design even if none of these things affect you.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Clever mechanics! Best of luck on the playstore!

Top Bottom