• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Votes: Most Anticipated Games of 2017

Time to throw my hat in.

1. Mass Effect Andromeda
2. Shenmue III
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6. Persona 5
7. Resident Evil VII
8. Prey
9. Crackdown 3
10. Halo Wars 2

...I didnt know they were even making a new game

Yeah, they teased Pit People at the end of 2014, it was playable at PAX early 2015, it went into a closed beta this year, and it's going to be Early Access next month. It's crazy that there isn't more knowledge/hype for the game given how humongous Castle Crashers was (and even the less popular BattleBlock Theater has a couple million owners on Steam).

"A sequel to Nier and a Dark Souls rip-off from the developers of Ninja Gaiden 3 are legit about to end up in the top 10 list this year, which seems crazy compared to last year's top 10."

Well, I'd say you invited such conversation with the statement above. There shouldn't be anything "crazy" about what appears

the most anticipated games are a sequel to a cult classic and a Dark Souls clone, those are pretty niche titles to be in the top 10 compared to last year's, thats all Im saying. Thats all this conversation was ever about. There are less big, broadly appealing games this year compared to last year, hence the perception of lower vote turnout

Theodoricos

1. Persona 5: Significantly less enthused about this now than I was back in 2014, but I'm still willing to give it a shot.
2. Mass Effect: Andromeda: Similarly, I'm not as excited about this game anymore because of the trailers that have been shown, which have been... less than ideal. Mass Effect 1 and 2 are my top favorite games, however, so I'm looking forward to this by default.
3. Zero Escape: The Nonary Games: Specifically for Virtue's Last Reward's PC release. I did not have the availability to play the game previously due to not owning a 3DS or a Vita. Loved 999, hopefully I'll enjoy VLR too.
4. Torment: Tides of Numenera: Spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment? Sign me up.
5. Freedom Planet 2: I quite enjoyed the first one, so here's hoping the second one will also have good gameplay and music.
6. Tacoma: Gone Home in space? Yep, I can get behind that.

the most anticipated games are a sequel to a cult classic and a Dark Souls clone, those are pretty niche titles to be in the top 10 compared to last year's, tahts all Im saying

Dark Souls hasn't been especially niche for a while. Dark Souls 3 shipped over 3 million copies in the first two months, was #1 on the NPD sales chart during launch month, and was Bandai-Namco America's biggest day one launch of all-time.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn (Only because it's coming very soon. RDR2 was first.)
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
4. Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy
5. Injustice 2
6. Mass Effect: Andromeda
7. Nier Automata
8. Star Wars Battlefront 2
9. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
10. Ghost Recon: Wildlands

1. Red dead Redemption
2. Resident Evil 7
3. Gravity Rush 2
4. Mass Effect Andromeda
5. Zelda Breath of the Wild
6. Prey
7. Persona 5
8. Halo Wars 2
9. Cuphead
10. Sea of Thieves

muzzymate

1. Mass Effect Andromeda
  2. South Park: Fractured But Whole
  3. Oddworld: Soulstorm
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2
  5. Sonic Mania
  6. Cuphead

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
3. Ni-Oh
4. Nier: Automata
5. Ghost Song
6. The Surge
7. Detroit Become Human
8. Death's Gambit
9. WipEout Omega Collection
10. Gravity Rush 2

KingConan

2. Yakuza 0
3. Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Yakuza Kiwami
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn
7. Nioh
8. Shenmue 3
9. Persona 5
10. Mass Effect: Andromeda

AgeEighty

2. Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time
3. Cuphead
4. Yooka-Laylee
5. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
6: Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
7: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Eolz

A sequel to Nier and a Dark Souls rip-off from the developers of Ninja Gaiden 3 are legit about to end up in the top 10 list this year, which seems crazy compared to last year's top 10.

A sequel to a cult classic, this time developed by Platinum, of course Gaf would love it.
Describing Nioh like that just make me think you've never played the Alpha/Beta, and don't actually want to know why people like it. Do you really think people would put it there if it was just a Dark Souls ripoff (remember all those ripoffs that this forum never cared about?) or if it was of the same "quality" as NG3? Come on, seriously...

We are on a forum interested in niche games, just look at Persona 5 winning so far. It won't lit the charts on fire either.
There's mainstream games in the lead as well, but let's not act as if seeing relatively niche games in those tops is something surprising.

Wulfram

1. Mass Effect Andromeda
2. Torment: Tides of Numenara

Then various games that are already released that I'm anticipating getting down to a price I'll pay for them

LowerLevel

1: State of Decay 2
2: Persona 5
3: Crackdown 3
4: Red Redemption 2
5: Cuphead
6: Horizon
7: Ghost Recon Wildlands
8: Halo Wars 2

J 0 E

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Resident Evil 7
4. Scalebound
5. Nioh
6. Prey
7. NieR: Automata
8. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
9. Mass Effect: Andromeda
10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

TEK-NAM

Neo Member
2. Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite
3. Nex Machina
4. God of War
5. Halo Wars 2
6. Days Gone
7. Tekken 7
8. WipEout Omega Collection
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10. Crackdown 3

Eolz

That's not what I wa--

it wasnt a value judg-

you know what...whatever lol. Man asked why voting was down, I said there were less mass appealing games to vote for compared to last year, somehow gets turned into "nier and Nioh are bad even though they're in ViewtifulJC's top 10 most anticipated games"

ok guyz, reading is fun

I've read what you said, it's just really presented in a bad way.
It's not a worse year in terms of mass appealing games, it's just that the way they are shown off is now different than it was before, which is partly some mods and users were in the favor of two threads per year.
If you look at Switch, Ubisoft, Activision, Sony, and more, that partly explains it.
For the rest, again, if it's in your list, I'm sure you had better way to present that.

Anyway, back on topic...

Falchion

1) Horizon Zero Dawn
2) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
3) Zelda Breath of the Wild
4) Red Dead Redemption 2
5) Star Wars Battlefront 2
6) Mass Effect Andromeda
7) Crackdown 3
8) Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy
9) Cuphead
10) Yooka-Laylee

u_neek

Most anticipated:

1. Shenmue 3
2. Persona 5
3. Dragon Quest XI
4. Night in the Woods
5. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
6. Sonic 2017
7. Horizon Zero Dawn
8. Yakuza 0
9. Mass Effect Andromeda
10. Tokyo Xanadu

Games without release windows, which may be 2017:

x. Final Fantasy VIIr
x. Super Mario Switch

Wichu

Waiting for Switch stuff to fill out my list.

1. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Danganronpa is ace. The series might not have the deepest characters or grounded plots, but 1 and 2 were a ton of fun. I can't wait to sink my teeth into this.

2. The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence
The only reason it's not number 1 is because it's not a full-length game. Fata Morgana is my GOTY 2016, so I'm all for getting some side stories to flesh out the characters some more.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Damn that world looks gorgeous. I've yet to beat a Zelda game, but even if I don't finish it I'm going to have a blast exploring and just enjoying the sights.

4. Persona 5
Persona 4 was great, and 5 looks like more goodness. The main problem is I don't own anything that can play it :p

5. Rain World
This game oozes atmosphere. I'm not usually a platformer person, but Rain World looks incredible. I love the critter design, the awesome 2D graphics effects, and the ridiculous AI.

6. Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time
I haven't played a Dragon Quest in ages. I miss the series. There's no way it's getting an English release this year though. I guess I can get VII and VIII 3DS instead for now.

7. Nier Automata
I still need to play the first one, but it has a ridiculously good soundtrack. If Automata's soundtrack is even half as good (and it seems like it will be), it'll be worth it for that alone.

8. Sharin no Kuni: The Girl Among the Sunflowers
Fuck it, filling the rest of my list with visual novels, as they're easy to slot in between gameplay-heavy stuff so I've played quite a few this year. I've heard this is good but the old translation sucks, so it getting a new translation puts it in my sights.

9. Muv Luv Alternative
It's the highest rated VN of all time. I feel I should find out what the fuss is about. Too bad Extra and Unlimited are supposedly required, because they're apparently not great :/

10. Dies Irae
Anime Nazis with occult superpowers aren't really my thing, but the Japanese version has gotten some glowing recommendations. On the list it goes.

On the topic of VNs, I'd like to put Sona-Nyl of the Violet Shadows on the list, but it doesn't have a confirmed release date. I hope it's not 2018 :(

Hoje0308

Banned
1) Horizon: Zero Dawn
2) Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3) Red Dead Redemption 2 (would be #1 if I didn't expect a delay)
4) Gravity Rush 2
5) NieR Automata
6) Nioh
7) Mass Effect: Andromeda
8) Prey
9) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
10) Ni no Kuni 2

Cubas

1. Persona 5
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. NieR: Automata
5. Super Mario Switch
6. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
7. Gravity Rush 2
8. Super Mario Switch
9. What Remains of Edith Finch
10. Yakuza 6

Let's hope this is the last year I'm putting Persona 5 in this list.

1. Persona 5
2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
3. Ni no Kuni II
4. Yakuza 0
5. Yakuza Kiwami
6. The Nonary Games (999+VLR combo)
7. Danganronpa PS4

1. Mass Effect: Andromeda
3CLV3NK.png

- I love sci-fi and space operas. IMO it's part of the greatest sci-fi series I've ever experienced. Love all the games in the trilogy and I had no problem with the ending to the last game. I'm happy with everything revealed in ME:A so far, I just hope I love it just as much as the previous games.

2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
Sdo3IqY.png

- New IP within my gaming tastes so I gotta give it a shot even though I'm not a fan of Guerrilla Games. The game looks beautiful and the way the game plays has me very interested.

3. Persona 5
AbCwxlQ.png

- Persona 4 Golden is in my list of top 10 games of all time. The feels I got from that game will never be forgotten but I hear Persona 5 is better from fans who felt the same way. Can't wait to see if it's true.

4. Red Dead Redemption 2
JEoWrkn.png

- RDR had a memorable SP campaign and I put so many hours in the MP. This game holds greatest amount of fun I had online last gen. I hope Rockstar can at least match or surpass the previous game.

5. Tekken 7
VlLc783.png

- I've been playing Tekken since the first game, the only fighting series I find fun and it's become tradition for me to buy all iterations. Haven't played since I abandoned last gen, would be higher on the list if some of my mains made the roster. Harada WTH?

6. For Honor
4y9Hy2p.png

- Reminds me of fun times with Bushido Blade and Dynasty Warriors before it got stale. I had a lot of fun with friends in that short beta so I can't wait to see what the full game is like.

1. Yakuza 0
2. Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite
4. Persona 5
5. Scalebound
6. Yakuza: Kiwami
7. Tekken 7
8. Mass Effect Andromeda
9. Shenmue 3
10. State of Decay 2

AmorFati

Neo Member
1. Mass Effect: Andromeda ; a spiritual successor to the first Mass Effect is so damn tantalizing.

2. Nier: Automata ; follow up to a beautiful, beautiful game with fantastic looking gameplay. Lost out to Mass Effect due to nostalgia, though I see this being the better game.

3. Manifold Garden ; in love with the Escher inspired aesthetic. Hopefully the puzzling is nuanced and satisfying.

4. Prey ; looks atmospheric, systems-rich, and really fun to play. Was totally off my radar until the GameInformer coverage.

5. Persona 5 ; have yet to play a Persona game (ashamedly), but I'm excited to jump into the series with 5.

6. Nioh ; I'll be needing my Soulsborne-esque fix next year, so I expect and hope that this will fill that hole in my heart.

1. Mass Effect: Andromeda: BioWare gets a lot of flak now, but I've enjoyed every game they have released, even the so-called duds. New character, new worlds, new stories... I cannot wait to explore a new galaxy, far-removed from the baggage of the Shepard Trilogy.

2. Oxygen Not Included: A space colony sim with adorable Don’t Starve art, by Klei.

3. Thimbleweed Park: A new point and click adventure game by Ron Gilbert. That is all.

4. Divinity: Original Sin 2: I still haven’t finished the original Original Sin… But who cares? This one looks even better.

5. Night in the Woods: It's been more than three years since the Kickstarter campaign, but it's finally coming out in 2017. If the companion game(the Lost Constellation) is anything to go by, I’m going to love this.

6. Unavowed: A new point and click adventure by Wadjet Eye is pretty exciting to begin with(I loved the Blackwell games). Dave Gilbert seems to be stepping it up this time, letting you choose the gender of the protagonist, and adding RPG elements like companions with unique abilities and a selectable origin story for the player.

7. Torment: Tides of Numenera: Weird, in a wonderful way.

8. Pyre: Bastion and Transistor were both great, so I trust Supergiant to at least deliver a game with great art and a stellar soundtrack.

9. Vampyr: I know they can handle the story, but I'm not fully confident in Dontnod's ability to deliver solid combat.

10. Star Control: Origins: Star Control 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, so it’s not hard to get excited for a new game in the franchise. The fact that Stardock is the developer helps temper that excitement.

Putting these in any order was hard, other than Mass Effect: Andromeda being #1 for me.

1.kingdom hearts 2.8
2.Kingdom hearts 1.5+2.5
3.Horizon:Zero dawn
4.Ni no kuni 2
5.Ghost recon wildlands
6.Crash bandicoot:N-sane trilogy
7.Southpark:The fractured but whole
8.Gravity rush 2
9.Yooka-Laylee
10. Atelier firis

AFCA

Neo Member
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  4. Ghost Recon: Wildlands.
  5. For Honor

1. Persona 5: I don't think I've ever anticipated a game this much. Looks like a masterpiece. Not much else to say that hasn't already been said.

2. Sonic Mania: Looks like it may be the best Sonic game in almost 20 years. I personally loved Adventure, Colors, Generations, and Transformed (if that counts), but Mania has completely captured that 90s Sonic feel.

3. Gravity Rush 2: I have a massive backlog. Haven't finished part 1, but part 2 looks gorgeous.

4. Yakuza 0: Again. Massive backlog. I haven't started Yakuza 4 or 5, but I really enjoyed 3 and I heard 3 isn't even as good as the other entries.

black070

1. Persona 5
2. Gravity Rush 2
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. Mass Effect: Andromeda
5. Ni No Kuni II
6. NieR: Automata
7. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
8. Red Dead Redemption 2
9. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
10. Yakuza 0

1. Horizon Zero Dawn: Who didn't grow up loving dinosaurs? This game spoke to me from the moment it was rumored

2. Mass Effect Andromeda: 1 of my favorite gaming series of all-time. Only a new IP could top it

3. Zelda: Breath of the Wild: its fucking Zelda!

4. Prey
5. Nier Automata
6. Red Dead 2
7. Marvel vs capcom infinite
8. Resident Evil 7
9. Nioh
10. Pyre

1.kingdom hearts 2.8
2.Kingdom hearts 1.5+2.5
3.Horizon:Zero dawn
4.Ni no kuni 2
5.Ghost recon wildlands
6.Crash bandicoot:N-sane trilogy
7.Southpark:The fractured but whole
8.Gravity rush 2
9.Yooka-Laylee
10. Atelier firis

I'm...... surprised that you don't have Persona 5 on your list.

Top Bottom