• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Votes: Top 50 Nintendo Games of All Time (2016 Edition)

1. Earthbound ; I've been waiting for this game ever since the nineties but I had to wait for the European VC release on WiiU to finally play this game. It's an experience like no other game with a great setting and very funny events/conversations. It took me half an hour to get into but once I did, it didn't let me go. Such a sweet ride. My favorite game just after Chrono Trigger.
2. Super Mario 64 ; The whole Ultra 64 and Dream Team stories I read about in Club Nintendo magazine were building up so much hype that I didn't think they could even come close to what they promised. Playing Mario 64 for just one minute was enough to convince me they did. The graphics, the controls, the jumping in 3D, the freedom. This is a timeless classic and will always be special for me. I even loved it on my Nintendo DS.
3. Tetris DS ; When I got my GameBoy as a little kid Tetris looked kinda dull. I mean, whut, you have to stack blocks on each other? Lame. Then I started playing it because I was curious about why my mother was so addicted to it. Boom. Got myself addicted as well. That moment when I finished level 9 high 5 was legendary. This was the best Tetris ever when suddenly the DS version dropped. It did everything better, added a ton of fun options. And online gameplay.
4. Yoshi's Island ; Wait, whut? A new Mario game with Mario as a baby? Have they lost their mind? No, they made the best 2D platformer ever with the most beautiful graphics I ever saw and with an extremely catchy soundtrack. To this day I hum tunes from this game every so often.
5. Mario Pary 4 ; The amount of hours I played this with friends is ridiculous. That alone made it deserve a spot in my top 10 Nintendo games of all time.
6. Mario Kart: Double Dash ; I often think about which iteration of Mario Kart is my personal favorite and I guess it's Double Dash. Super was my first, 8 may be the best, Double Dash was the most fun.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening ; This isn't a dream, it's the best Zelda game ever. It even featured Goomba en you get to use bow wow as your personal guardian.
8. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga ; Haha, who is this green Mario.
9. Killer Instinct ; I've never been a fan of fighting games. Sure I played Mortal Kombat because of the gore and yes I've played Street Fighter because everyone did. But I actually enjoyed Killer Instinct with its combo system. It's one of the reasons I sometimes think about buying an Xbone.
10. Pokémon Blue ; A Nintendo list without Pokémon is incomplete and blue was my first. It's also the best because Blastoise is on the cover. Everyone that thinks otherwise is wrong. Sorry.

Honorable mentions:

x. Advance Wars ; This was great when I was traveling through the US. Made the long drives somewhat shorter
x. Metroid Fusion ; I'm not a Metroid guy, don't like walking back and forth in a game. This was great though. I'll give Super Metroid a chance if it makes the top 3 this year.
x. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; The whole series is great but since Nintendo NL used a quote of mine for its ad campaign this will get my honorable mention.

There are sooooo many games that I also want to mention. Nintendo really is legendary. And there are so many games I still need to play.

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Metroid Prime
4. Mario Kart 8
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Animal Crossing: Wild World
7. Xenoblade Chronicles
8. Splatoon
9. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
10. Super Mario 64

Tailzo

1. Pikmin 3
2. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
5. Xenoblade Chonicles X
6. Fire Emblem: Awakening
7. Animal Crossing
8. Wii Sports
9. Nintendo World Cup
10. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Kneefoil

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Something I've noticed with Zelda games is that the less I like them initially, the more I grow to like them. Ocarina of Time I thought looked really lame at first, but when I saw my brother play it, I got hooked at it became my favourite game for the next 6-8 years.
Majora's Mask I couldn't really get into even after having played it myself. I don't know if the reason was the time mechanic or the worn out N64 controllers, but something was stopping me from really getting to enjoy the game until almost a decade later when I played on the Wii Virtual Console, and then it quickly became my favourite. I loved the setting, the world, the personal stories NPCs had... Mechanically it also did pretty much everything better than Ocarina of Time, and I was amazed I hadn't realized that when I had first played it as a 7-year-old.

2. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Did everything Pokémon G/S/C did, but mostly better. I love the physical/special move split, it still has the best menus of the series, Kanto was a bit more fleshed out compared to the GBC originals. Just a fantastic game overall.

3. Pokémon Platinum
I didn't include Diamond and Pearl because I never played them, and I've heard that they had a lot of problems that were fixed in Platinum, like slow battle speed, and the variety of Pokémon available.
Anyway, this was the first Pokémon game I played with the physical/special split, and really like Sinnoh as a map. The game was also a huge upgrade from the GBA games.

4. Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal
These games are the finest example of a sequel done right. They improved everything about the first games; there are a lot less glitches and all the Pokémon all look like they do today both from the front and the back.
I really appreciate Team Rocket not being a bunch of lunatics like almost all future Pokémon villain teams. I adore the fact that the game is very much just a personal journey to become a Pokémon champion, and no legendaries are tied to the story, unlike in the remake and pretty much all future Pokémon games. You might play through the game without ever even getting a chance to capture a legendary Pokémon, and that makes them feel more valuable, and more worthy of the legendary title.
To fully appreciate the game, you reakkt should play this game on the GameBoy Color, not emulate it or play it on GBA or the GameBoy Player. Only the original hardware do the visuals and sound justice. It's a bit unfortunate that my own GBC's buttons are very worn out due to heavy use, but I still prefer playing these games on it over anything else.

5. Splatoon
This was a game I did not expect to get into. I just decided to test the game out when they did the initial Global Test-Fire session, and I ended up really liking the game. I did get bored of the game just about a week after release, but when I came back a few months later, I was just as hooked on it as I had been during the first few days of Splatoon, which has only happened with very few games. Kudos to the people who worked on the free game modes, weapons, etc. and kept the game fresh.

6. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Best Mario game hands down. It's funny, it has interesting characters and places we've never seen before. I could not put this game down when I first played it. Chapter 2 is really dull on repeat playthroughs though.

7. Star Fox 64
My favourite shoot-'em-up. The first Sin & Punishment is a pretty close second, but playing SF64, or Lylat Wars as I prefer to call it, is just so jolly.

8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
The greatest 2D platformer of all time. Lovely art style, great music and level design, and the egg making/throwing was fun. Never really found Baby Mario annoying like a lot of people do.

9. Banjo-Kazooie
Still one of the very few games to do 3D platforming better than Super Mario 64, which many say is the first game to do 3D platforming right. The game is also very funny.
I mostly prefer Kazooie over Tooie because of the stages. Kazooie's worlds were simple enough that they were never confusing to navigate, and I like most the themes used for the stages better. I enjoyed playing every single stage in Kazooie, but there were at least 3 stages in Tooie that I didn't much care for.

10. F-Zero GX
This game is so good! I never thought that I would like a racing game this much.
It's fast and intense, has a large roster of characters and vehicles, and most importantly, the game is very cheesy. The cutscenes in story mode and the interviews after GPs are just wonderful. The music is also pretty good, and I like that the game allows you to create your own vehicle.
Really the only things missing here are a course creator, X Cup equivalent that creates random tracks for you to race, and an online vs. mode. Take notes Nintendo.

My main list is mostly Advance Wars and Warioware games. I wish Advance Wars was still around.

1. Mario 64 ; N64.
2. Advance Wars DS ; DS. Tons of levels and they're all endlessly playable. I don't use handhelds much now but when I do this is my first choice game.
3. Mario Kart DS ; DS.
4. Mario Galaxy ; Wii.
5. Warioware Twisted ; GBA. Incredibly fun, and like nothing else at the time.
6. Advance Wars Dark Conflict ; DS. AKA Days of Ruin.
7. Meteos ; DS. My favourite vs-style puzzle game.
8. Warioware inc. Mega Party Games ; GC.
9. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising ; GBA.
10. Warioware Smooth Moves ; Wii. Still comes out for family xmas.

x. Mario Kart Super Circuit; GBA.
x. Wii Sports Resort ; Wii. I played the hell out of the fencing; I really wish there were some more advanced motion swordfighting-type games.
x. Super Mario Sunshine ; GC.
x. Advance Wars ; GBA.
x. Fire Emblem ; GBA. The first GBA release.
x. Orbital ; GBA. Very cool minimal game. I got this, and a quite a lot of my DS library, when I was working in Japan. Region locking the 3DS put me off that handheld pretty badly.
x. Super Mario 3 ; NES.
x. Tetris DX ; GBC.
x. Super Mario 64 DS; DS.
x. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan ; DS. Another bought in Japan. Elite Beat Agents just isn't the same.
x. New Super Mario Brothers Wii ; Wii.

Man its tough. Ermmmmmmmmm, alright.

1. Pokemon Heartgold
2. Legend Of Zelda Majoras Mask
3. Mario Galaxy 2.
4. Metroid Prime 2.
5. Super Mario World
6. Splatoon
7. Mario 64
8. Super Metroid
9. Legend Of Zelda Minish Cap
10. Pokemon Black 2.

Should we really be splitting like this when Anihawk already has the Games of the Gen 4 thread? I didn't see this one before, but perhaps that's why the votes in the other thread are so small.

Dad

Should we really be splitting like this when Anihawk already has the Games of the Gen 4 thread? I didn't see this one before, but perhaps that's why the votes in the other thread are so small.

I think it's unrelated. Each of Anihawk's Games of the Gen threads has had a lighter turnout than the last. I just don't think there are that many people on the forum old enough/well played enough to confidently vote on their top ten Gen 4 games. It's a lot easier for most to list ten Nintendo games across all generations.

Celine

It's simply impossible to do a Nintendo Top 10 without compromises. You can easily list dozens on games.

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; Fantastic pace and attention to detail.
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; It improve over the first SMG which is considered one of the finest ever made.
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 ; It's absolutely mindblowing to think that this game came out in 1988. It's so "perfect" and "timeless".
4. F-Zero GX ; Amazing sense of speed and challenge.
5. Metroid Prime ;
6. Legend of Zelda: A link between worlds ;
7. Splatoon ; From the concept that rework the arena shooting game genre to the execution this is the best new franchise to come out from WiiU.
8. Mother 3 ; Mother games always have toons of heart and this one isn't an exception.
9. Mario Kart 8 ; The best Mario Kart ever done.
10. Sin and Punishment Star Successor ; This on rail shooting game grab you from the dick and never let go. It provides high excitement from the beginning to the end.

x. Super Metroid ; Leaving out of the Top 10 a game as good as Super Metroid is only a testment of Nintendo incredible quality software output.
x. Metroid Fusion ;
x. Metroid Prime 2 ;
x. Metroid Prime 3 ;
x. Wave Race 64 ; When many at the time thought to just making polygonal racing games as just cosmetic for the most part, Nintendo instead used the additional power to bring physic into play. Genius.
x. 1080 Snowboarding ; Similar concept as Wave Race 64 although not as fresh. The game was still a generation ahead of the competing games in the same genre.
x. F-Zero X ; As good as F-Zero GX albeit the two are a bit different.
x. F-Zero ;
x. Mario Kart DS ; Mario Kart series began to be really amazing with this game.
x. Fire Emblem 4 ;
x. Earthbound ;
x. Super Mario 64 ;
x. Super Mario 3D Land ;
x. Yoshi's Island ;
x. New Super Mario Bros Wii ;
x. Super Mario World ;
x. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze ;
x. Donkey Kong Country 2 ;
x. Donkey Kong '94 ;
x. Legend of Zelda: A link to the past ;
x. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening ;
x. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ;
x. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ;
x. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ;
x. Warioware ;
x. Banjo Kazooie ;
x. Sin and Punishment ;
x. Excite Truck ;
x. Pilotwings 64 ;
x. Star Fox 64 ;
x. Paper Mario ;
x. Paper Mario The thousand-year door ;
x. Super Mario RPG ;
x. Advance Wars ;
x. Wii Sports ;
x. Punch Out !! (Wii) ;
x. Elite Beat Agents ;

Celine

It's a lot easier for most to list ten Nintendo games across all generations.
Nope, nope, nope.
It just as troublesome: too many great games, too few spots!

You are right on the age factor though.
If one started with the Wii generation it could vote here but unlikely in the 4th gen thread.

Bamboo

The list emerged from my mood, tomorrow it'd look different again, but oh well. That's what it's always like. Some choices were hard to make. Nintendo really produced some fantastic software. My favorites are usually the most refined games of it's series/genre, or the first one to kick off a great idea never realized as a game before. Never owned certain platforms or played certain classics that I'd probably enjoy (Super Metroid), therefore their lack in this list.

1. Wario Ware (GBA) ; Brilliant idea, a game about games, one game that is all games. Anarchic and very restrained at the same time.
2. Animal Crossing (GC) ; Charming, relaxing, fantastic idea for a "game", brilliantly executed.
3. Tetris (GB) ; I still come back to it, every now and then. It never grows old, it's always the right time, it's perfect.
4. Advance Wars (GBA) ; Perfect strategy game, simple on the surface with endlessly complex maneuvers, tricks and ambushes thanks to a carefully crafted and balanced system. Presentation is direct, convenient and fitting.
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) ; Best 3D Platformer, expands on a great formula, very refined and neverending flow of ideas.
6. Pikmin (GC/Wii) ; Character design is top, story is mainly told through actions and told in a pleasant subtle manner.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) ; Best mood, most interesting and complex themes to be explored in a Nintendo game (even if the game holds itself back in some parts)
8. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB) ; Introduction to RPG, epic journey that makes you invested and care.
9. Yoshi's Island (SNES) ; Best 2D Platformer, great style, very inventive.
10. Kirby Super Star (SNES); Probably my most played SNES game. Coop is perfect, loads of content, fantastic music. And Kirby is my favorite Nintendo mascot.

Honorable Mention:
Polarium Advance (GBA) ; It's not even on the list, is it? The perfect lifestyle puzzler. Fantastic presentation, and interaction design, elegant presentation and customization. I play it regularly for over two years now.

jimboton

1 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask; The greatest Zeldas ever made are the lesser known sequels to its 16 and 64 bit classics: more challenging and more inventive than their predecessors. Nintendo at its very best, when it cared less about focus testing and more about awesome adventure games.
2 Super Metroid;
3 The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening;
4 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past;
5 Super Mario 64;
6 Banjo Kazooie;
7 Banjo Tooie;
8 Metroid Prime;
9 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time;
10 Metroid Prime: Echoes;

Honorable mentions:
11 Metroid Prime: Corruption;
12 Super Mario World;
13 The Legend of Zelda;
14 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess;
15 Pikmin;
16 Conker;
17 Mario Sunshine;
18 Super Mario Bros 3;
19 Star Fox;
20 Diddy Kong Racing;

I think it's unrelated. Each of Anihawk's Games of the Gen threads has had a lighter turnout than the last. I just don't think there are that many people on the forum old enough/well played enough to confidently vote on their top ten Gen 4 games. It's a lot easier for most to list ten Nintendo games across all generations.

Well anyway, don't think I'll be voting in this thread. I have played almost no NES and Gamecube games, and very little of the Wii and Wii U as well.

AerialAir

Banned
I live in Europe (and while some of these titles might not be Nintendo games in the US, they are here, like the Trauma Center series), though some of these titles are imports that I bought out of anticipation.

1. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (Japan Import); Offers a lot of depth and variety when the the N64 was lacking good JRPGs.
2. Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (Japan Import); A continuation in the Ogre series, a very deep and addictive game, like Battle 64.
3. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (Korea Import); Great SRPG with well-drawn characters, a branching storyline and excellent mechanics.
4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE; Best game I've ever played on the Wii U, and I've played a lot, the cross between the MegaTen and FE combat is genious.
5. Trauma Center: Under the Knife; Great game, with deep gameplay, it's like scrubs in your pocket.
6. Trauma Center: New Blood; Great sequel to under the knife, this time we could play on a TV.
7. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes; Not sure if considered a Nintendo game but it WAS distributed by Nintendo and was developed under the guidance of Miyamoto.
8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time; Simply a masteriece.
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask; I actually loved the 3 day mechanic.
10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past; Well, its Zelda on the go.

ec0ec0

i'd say that, if those threads aren't getting more votes, it's because they weren't stickied.

These vote threads only stay on/near the first page for the first few days. After that, the only people that would vote are those who are aware that the vote is being made or those who catch the thread on the first page, by luck, or because they check GAF regularly.

I'm not saying that what you said isn't a factor, but it's probably smaller that others.

1. Pikmin 3
  2. Fire Emblem Fates
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  4. Pokemon Crystal
  5. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U
  6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  7. Mario Kart 8
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  9. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
  10. Pikmin 2

1. Metroid Prime ; Even with all of the stuff they left out of it as show in Mama's thread, Retro still made the greatest game of all time.
2. Super Mario 64 ; I've never been more hyped for a video game before, and the game opened up infinite gameplay possibilities for future games.
3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption ; The greatest art direction in any game ever, innovative controls and two of my favorite boss fights ever.
4. Super Mario Bros. 3 ; The effects of the mushrooms the Mario Bros. ate are shown in this game. It's Super Mario Bros. on LSD, full of imagination.
5. Super Mario Galaxy ; Upside down had been done before, but never like this. The level design is incredible, balancing linear and open areas.
6. Mario Kart: Double Dash ; The most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer game. The two riders added skill and strategy that still hasn't been topped by any MK game.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; My first Zelda game since I played the original and AoL at a young age. It blew me away seeing how the series evolved.
8. Super Mario World ; After eating more mushrooms in SMB 3, World was trippy as hell. Puzzle based ghost houses and Star Road/Special World boggled my mind.
9. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes ; Sanctuary Fortress is still the greatest piece of 3D level design I have seen. One of my best gaming accomplishments was beating this game on Hard without a single death.
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Not a single flaw. Exciting levels crafted with love and care, and perfect mechanics, all wrapped in a beautiful audiovisual masterpiece.

Honorable mentions:
Lugis's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong 64, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Super Mario RPG, Metroid Fusion, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Smash Bros. Melee, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Punchout!, any many more.

samsirus

Neo Member
1. Mario 64
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5. Mario Kart 64
6. Banjo Kazooie
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Mario Kart 8
9. Wii Sports
10. Kirby's Pinball Land

x. Super Mario 3D World
x. Star Fox 64
x. Blast Corps
x. Goldeneye 007
x. Bomberman 64
x. Pilotwings 64

Started with NES but my heyday was really N64 as you can probably tell.

Wiped89

Oooh, tough choice.

Here is my personal, quite unusual top 10:

1. Super Mario Galaxy. Quite simply one of the greatest games of all time, and Nintendo's best game ever.
2. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. My favourite entry in the series, back on GBA. Absolutely sublime, a full colour universe with (for its time) insane graphics and much expanded battling. The game that got me hooked on Pokemon properly.
3. Mario Kart 8. What an extraordinary game. Best Mario Kart ever.
4. Yoshi's Island. A masterpiece. Best 2D platformer ever.
5. Wii Sports. Sorry, but this game was a revolution. I still play Wii Sports Resort, too, to this day.
6. Zelda: Twilight Princess. I have not gone and replayed it, so perhaps it has aged. But at the time, I loved it.
7. Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (Days of Ruin in the US).
8.New Super Mario Bros Wii
9. Super Smash Bros Melee
10. Super Mario 64

chrixter

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; No game has had as much of an impact on me, and I don't think any game ever will.

2. Super Mario World ; Certainly not the first game I ever played, but the first I truly fell in love with.

3. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; I've probably spent more time playing this than any other Nintendo game.

4. Super Mario Galaxy ; Made me fall in love with Nintendo all over again (after several years of unexciting output).

5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; I'll always love it for subverting the Zelda formula and offering the most unique experience in the franchise.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Unbelievably creative for a direct sequel to a game that was already a masterpiece.

7. Perfect Dark ; Astounding amount of content and polish that hooked me for years.

8. GoldenEye 007 ; The first 3D game to completely blow my mind. Come to think of it, I might've played this more than Melee.

9. Bayonetta 2 ; Sublime from start to finish, and then from start to finish again and again...

10. Super Mario Maker ; It didn't just recapture my joy of playing 2D Mario; it pushed that joy to entirely new heights.

Honorable Mention (i.e. my toughest cut):

F-Zero GX ; Unmatched in its exhilarating sense of speed and challenge. Truly deserves to be on my top 10 as much as any other game up there.

jettpack

1. Super Metroid : One of the best games ever made. PERIOD

2. Metroid Prime : More games should take influence from Metroid Prime. Im surprised it's not imitated more. I mean weirdly batman AA is basically structured like metroid prime. SO GOOD.

3. Metroid Fusion : Could be my favorite. I've played through Metroid Fusion 4 times. It's a little linear, but it has some of the best moments in a metroid game. All of the moments with the infected Samus Suit are gold.

4. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening : The Zelda I've played the most. I love it's weird vibe. great designs too. It's a bit twin peaks ish (in a zelda way)

5. Pokemon red/blue/yellow : Classics, Duh. I was born in 1991.... prime Pokemon age. nuf said.

6. Mario Galaxy : Best 3d platformer ever made. That game feels so triumphant and magical. It's awesome in the classic sense of the word. "inspires awe"

7. Mario Galaxy 2 : the superior sequel to the best 3d platformer ever made.

8. Pokemon Gold/silver : I actually prefer G/S to the original but its lower on the list because it owes so much to the r/b. I loved the way the game looks. Really great Pokemon designs in gen 2 as well.

9. Smash Brothers Melee : Spent endless hours hanging out with a kid on my block that i didn't like very much just so i could play smash bros Melee.

10. Kirby: Krystal Shards : I played this game a ton with my brother when we were on vacation in Wisconsin. I was fascinated with all the power combinations. so great.

x Pokemon Emerald
x Zelda Minish Cap
x Metroid Zero Mission
x Metroid
x Super Smash Brothers
x Mario Cart 64

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Kid Icarus Uprising
5. Animal Crossing New Leaf
6. Punchout!! Wii
7. Fire Emblem Fates
8. Super Smash Bros for WiiU
9. Metroid Prime
10. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Hah looking at my list you'd think I was about 15 years old! Nothing older than a Wii game. I grew up on NES but I guess all my affinity is for the recent stuff!

Lutherian

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Metroid Fusion
5. Donkey Kong '94 (GameBoy)
6. Super Mario Bros. 3
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
8. Perfect Dark"
9. Banjo-Kazooie
10. Jet Force Gemini

Azuardo

1. Super Metroid
2. Yoshi's Island
3. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Zelda: A Link to the Past
5. Metroid Prime
6. Super Mario World
7. Donkey Kong Country
8. Zelda: Majora's Mask
9. Zelda: The Wind Waker
10. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Vecks

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Both galaxy games are great and are just plain and simple fun. But I much preferred the sequel with its tighter level design and new powers. I also really enjoyed the green star hunt as a post-game, as it forced you to really explore the levels to their fullest.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; The Zelda series is one of my favorites, and this one is the purest version of the 3D Zelda formula. There was just so much to do, yet it was still wonderfully paced.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles ; I just love everything about this game. The story and characters were good. You could customize your gear quite a bit in looks and stats. And the world was massive and rewarding to explore.
4. Paper Mario ; Paper Mario is an RPG with all the charm of the Mario Universe in a unique visual style. Thousand Year Door was great too, but I felt that one dragged a bit in certain sections.
5. Super Mario 64 ; The first 3D Mario still sets itself apart from the sequels by allowing for a lot of freedom in movement and in how you can progress through the game. With its freedom in gameplay and short length, Super Mario 64 is just perfect for playing over and over again.
6. Splatoon ; This was a huge surprise for me. The gameplay is just insanely fun, fast-paced, and addictive. You're always just moving around, swimming through ink, and shooting/rolling. You can also try and take advantage of the stealth elements and surprise opponents. The major issue are disconnects and lag. Hopefully, Nintendo can improve upon that in the next game.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; The strangest Zelda game. It's a bit tedious and repetitive in some parts, but the pay-off is totally worth it as you get more invested in the world and the stories of its characters.
8. Super Mario Maker ; There's enjoyment to be had in making Mario levels, but the real attraction of Mario Maker is the ability to play infinite levels of Mario. Granted, 90% of those levels are nowhere near the quality of Nintendo-developed levels. Many levels are just terribly cobbled together, made to troll, or are flat out incomplete or broken. But you can always skip, look up recommendations or follow good level creators, for those just looking out for the cream of the crop.
9. Super Mario Galaxy ; I prefer Galaxy 2, but the first one wasn't bad either. 3D platformers aren't even one of my favorite genres, yet both Galaxy games are some of my favorites games of all time. That should tell you how much these games have impacted me.
10. Pikmin 3 ; I could never get into the original Pikmin games because of the control scheme. But Pikmin 3 pretty much fixed all that by allowing both gamepad and wiimote controls as alternatives. And I'm glad they did because Pikmin 3 was great. For me, the game just felt like exploring our world from a very different perspective.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Starting my ballot now, will keep updating.

1. Super Metriod
2. Goldeneye
3. Super Smash Brothers Melee
4. Pokemon Blue/Red
5. Metroid Prime
6. Eternal Darkness
7. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
8. Perfect Dark
9. Donkey Kong Country
10. Mario Party

wispsmoke

Neo Member
1. Kirby's Adventure
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
5. Super Smash Brothers Melee
6. Super Metroid
7. Super Mario RPG
8. F-Zero GX
9. Mario Kart 64
10. Earthbound

Honorable Mentions:
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Kirby's Dream Course
Advance Wars

1. EarthBound; so many memories
2. Banjo Kazooie; best 3d platformer ever
3. Super Mario World;
4. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
5. Mario Kart 64
6. Legend of Zelda Links Awakening
7. Mother 3
8. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
9. Goldeneye 007 N64
10. Pikmin 3

I wanted to vote but many games suggested by the OP are not even Nintendo games :p

I'm going to keep bringing this up until it's corrected :D

Only then I'd vote.

City 17

I wanted to vote but many games suggested by the OP are not even Nintendo games :p

Only then I'd vote.

"What Games Count?

-Second Party titles count as well. For instance, games like Goldeneye 64 or Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie are allowed.
"

Edit: If you have some examples in mind that are not within the criteria, you should post it here so that OP corrects them.

Sadist

I expected way more entries.

Just updated my list earlier in the thread.
Guess the summer wasn't a good idea after all it seems :( I can always extend the voting period for another month :)

Only then I'd vote.
Guess you won't vote then.

"What Games Count?

-Second Party titles count as well. For instance, games like Goldeneye 64 or Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie are allowed.
"

Edit: If you have some examples in mind that are not within the criteria, you should post it here so that OP corrects them.
He's hung up on Bayonetta 2. I've already made it clear it's a second party title and it counts. And no, as it stands now it won't even reach the top 50.

Vecks

Guess the summer wasn't a good idea after all it seems :( I can always extend the voting period for another month :)

I don't think extending the voting period will make much difference. With the exception of GOTY threads, the amount of votes in this thread already seem par for the course.

Bass260

Am I able to re-edit my ballot or have they been counted already? I played Mother 2 & 3 in the past month and would love to include one of them.

edit: Nevermind, read the voting rules.

TwiztidElf

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; Played it recently, and it hasn’t lost anything. People must appreciate that this game did so many things first that are just taken for granted now.
2. Super Mario 64 ; Still the benchmark in fun 3d platforming with a fun hub world.
3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike ; Best TBS ever made. Amazing music.
4. Splatoon ; An online shooter for people that don’t like online shooters. Fun, fast and colourful.
5. Pikmin ; Original and the best.
6. Super Mario 3D World ; A modern update of classic Nintendo gameplay.
7. Super Mario Galaxy ; Classic Mario with a twist.
8. Super Mario Kart ; Balloon battles were best in the original.
9. 1080° Snowboarding ; Still the best snowboarding game.
10. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem ; Lovecraft.

x. Super Mario World ; Best 2D platformer. Only down here because in its original form, it’s a bit hard without save states.
x. Bayonetta 2 ; WiiU.
x. Pokémon X and Y ; I don’t understand people voting earlier Pokemon titles. Maybe it’s a nostalgia thing? To me the iterative improvements just get better and better.
x. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; Best Zelda since OOT.

purdobol

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; To this day the best all around Zelda experience. Nothing is missing. Great story, great gameplay, great atmosphere, great pacing, amazing final battle, simple yet fun to explore "open world". Really can't find a flaw in this gem.
2. Banjo Kazooie ; The true king of 3D platformers. Tons of collectables yet it does not feel like a chore due to amazing level design. Exploration is fun, interesting and rewarding. And the hub world ties it all elegantly. Wonderfull characters, funny writing. Simple main theme, yet amazing sountrack. That game just oozes charm and should be mandatory study of every game developer. So simple, so efortless and underneath elegant design by people with tons of experience in the field. It really shows...
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door ; Ahh paper mario. This games excel at so many levels. For starters it's a clever mix of traditional jrpg with action rpg, which makes the battles interesting and involving. Seemingly simple rpg mechanics in form of badges vs flower/heart points, have amazing depth. A game where every character have personality. NPC's just feel alive. It's achieved by combination of great writing, great humour but also very clever use of text effects. Which I think is the biggest achievement of this franchise. Perfectly timed and expressed lines of dialog have so much more meaning (and charm) compared to normal wall of text. It's really baffling that this idea is so underutilized in other games.
4. Super Mario Bros 3 ; Peak of traditional 2D platforming formula. Showcase of how simple game of running and jumping can become exceptional just by having amazing level design.
5. Mario Kart 8 ; The king is dead (CTR), long live the king! What one can say about this title. It's beautiful. The fusion of technical expertise and what seems endless imagination creates something really special. It looks like Pixar movie, it plays like... don't have words for it. Drug of a game.
6. Metroid Prime ; You're alone... in strange place. Nothing seems familiar. Explore the world around you. Make sense of it and learn or... die. Seems like a perfect premise to good sci-fi. You have a point Retro Studios. But to make a game that grabs attention and entertains a hardcore pc gamer that despise every fps on consoles? A guy raised with the genre and seen it all? Hats off to you Retro hats off.
7. Bayonetta 2 ; Spectacle. The prologue itself feels like you're fighting final boss. Such an entertaining game. To me it feels like a throwback to the nineties. That attitude of a quirky B movie. Could've been something serious with deep meaning but fuck that. Let's have some fun instead eh?
9. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor ; Starts the game... ok looks alright. We're in the ship, some anime kids, we've lost control over it. Yeah lets take out intruders, it's my ship! Uuuh cool boots, I can hover in the air. Yay robot spider. Wait, how she's still alive? What they're talking about? Who the hell is this guy? Ehh nvm... Oh we're in the city. Yeah let shoot those things. What are those? It looks like... One hour later. Where the hell am I? What are those things? What is going on? I don't understand. Man it's so cool... Next day in work. Man I've found awesome game, it's called Sin and Punishment, you have to try it... it rocks. Yeah? What's it about? I have no idea. But it's awesome trust me...
10. Mario Party 2 ; Mario party? Really? Yeah really. Especially the second installment. A game franchise that people like to criticize for what it is. A board game mixed with fun mini games collection. But it's slow paced... yeah no *** sherlock. It's a board game. Have you ever played one of those? Well maybe but I still don't like it. To much luck involved... Again board game. That's the point. To win/loose at the last second and have a laugh at/with your friends. Fun times...

This was very hard list to make. Got to admit. I've tried to choose from as many genres as possible to make it varied. Which may look weird at first glance. Mario party 2 but no Mario Galaxy? Well Banjo Kazooie filled the spot for 3D platformer so no Galaxy.

Honorable mentions:

x. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past ;
x. Wario Land: The Shake Dimension ;
x. Conker's Bad Fur Day ;
x. Super Mario 64 ;
x. Duck Hunt ;
x. Banjo Tooie ;
x. Popeye ;
x. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ;
x. Super Mario Galaxy ;
x. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ;
x. Super Mario Strikers ;
x. Super Smash Bros ;
x. Kirby's Dream Course ;
x. Super Metroid ;
x. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ;

Violet_0

Banned
1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; I briefly considered giving the first place on my list to OoT due to how revolutionary the game has been, but truth to be told I hold MM much dearer to my heart. The world, atmosphere, characters, time mechanic, sidequests - MM is still the best Zelda and Nintendo game to this date in my humble opinion
2. Perfect Dark ; all those 4-player multiplayer splitscreen sessions are some of my best gaming memories, which I believe justifies the second place on the list
3. Metroid Prime
4. Super Mario 64
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6. GoldenEye 007
7. Super Metroid
8. Super Smash Bros. Melee
9. F-Zero GX
10. Super Mario Sunshine

I guess my N64/GC-era bias shines through

WhyMe6

1. Super Metroid

2. Earthbound

3. Animal Crossing ; Everything about the title was wonderful; the sheer range and variety of household and fashion objects to collect, the distracting hobbies you could partake in, the way it intrinsically coerced you into playing again and again year round, and the way the art and sound design (which, bar the museum theme, has taken an unfortunate downturn in recent entries) worked in synergy to create a beautiful atmosphere of this relaxing yet busy town. I actually feel sad that, no matter what Nintendo do with the series, I'll never be able to recreate this first-time Animal Crossing experience again. In a way, this sentiment is also reflected in your piece. I have a full-time job, I can no longer spend at least two hours a day in Arcadia, I no longer live at home with all of my family, none of whom have the time anymore to engage in a game this way either.

4. Pokemon Gold/Silver ; As a child, before the internet era, this game had an effect on me no game could have again. Aside from being the first game I played where time of day had such an important effect. It had a beautiful night atmosphere, with the dynamic music and changes in lighting, and the changes in Pokemon availability meant the way I played games until that moment had changed. The shock of Kanto opening up after Johto, as well as the true final "boss" of the game also cemented this as not only one of my favourite Pokemon games, but also one of my favourite RPGs.

5. F-Zero GX ; In my eyes, still the greatest racing game.

6. Yoshi's Island

7. Metroid Prime

8. Rhythm Tengoku ; [Import, I'm from Australia] Rhythm gaming perfection. Even with its multiple sequels, for me personally the first game has the most appealing and streamlined mini-games and best music composition.

9. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl ; My defining game of the DS generation and my favourite Pokemon in terms of music and social features (in contrast to the handheld multiplayer online gaming landscape at the time).

10. Perfect Dark ; My family and friends spent countless hours in the hugely enjoyable, customisable and varied multiplayer mode, and that's not even considering the cleverly designed, difficulty-scaling single player mission design.

1. Pokemon Red ; Pokemon Red was probably one of the reasons why I was such a good reader as a kid.
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; Over 500 hours, homie. Fox for life.
3. Super Mario 64 ; Still better than Banjo-Kazooie.
4. Yoshi's Island ; Real talk. Best game on this list, but not my favorite.
5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; I miss the Ice Climbers.
6. Super Mario World ; A whole new world on SNES.
7. Mario Kart Double Dash ; TWO racers. That's like twice as good as the others.
8. Super Mario Bros. 3 ; Tanooki suit reigns supreme.
9. Pokemon Silver ; It's like Pokemon Red, but it's literally that game plus another region.
10. Animal Crossing ; I might be in crippling debt, but I have Mario Bros. in my basement.

spliced

1. Super Mario Bros. ; The game that started it all, the all-time classic.
2. Super Mario 64 ; Second on the list but still maybe the greatest game of all time.
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Just and incredible game, a rare sequel that has more impact than the original.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; Graphically mindblowing, mechanically mindblowing and just a fantastic game backing it all up. One of the most hyped games ever and it actually lived up to it...how is that even possible.
5. Perfect Dark ; It turned FPS single player into such a unique and satisfying experience with tons of depth.
6. Super Mario Kart ; The unique look and intense action added up to an amazing racing game.
7. Wave Race 64 ; I didn't even know I wanted a jet ski game. The effects of the waves on the race were fun to deal with mechanically and gave some of the most amazing feelings of feedback in gaming.
8. Blast Corps ; Kind of a weird gimmicky idea but wow was it ever fun.
9. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; Probably the best modern platformer, it refreshed a stale genre.
10. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link ; This one makes it for the goat controls and the greatest spooky music in gaming.

moomoo14

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3. Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver
4. Metroid Prime
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
6. Fire Emblem Awakening
7. Kid Icarus: Uprising
8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
9. Super Smash Bros Wii U
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Gruco

Banned
1. Mother 3 ; Arguably the best game ever made. It has amazing music, beautiful sprite work, and funny dialogue. But what makes this game truly special is something that can only be understood by playing it, and the chimeras, sunflowers, and needles along the way. It's slowly built, scene by scene, within chapter by chapter. Strange, funny, and heartrending.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; I love that this game used all of the prior game's assets while rewriting so many of its core ideas. MM starts you off lost, alone and confused in a race against time. It ends with you in complete control, knowing every character's action before they take it.

3. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn ; There's a good argument for Path of Radiance, but I think Radiant Dawn ultimately wins out in scale and variety. Also, this game has Ellincia's Gambit.

4. Tetris Attack ; <3

5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; So, I've swallowed the kool-aid on this being the best 2D platformer. The controls are precise and methodical, and the level design is consistently exciting and new. Hard, but less frustrating that its predecessor.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Love that it just got down to business in plowing through levels. Galaxy 1 was great, so great that it was fantastic to see the series continue to build on all the core concepts. Also, has Yoshi.

7. Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 ; Gen 5 is I think underappreciated for all of the steps it took in making the game more approachable from a competitive standpoint. The experience curve, giant postgame, and endless TMs were big steps. The sequel is the most content packed pokemon installment, expanding the excellent postgame with a challenge mode, a mini dungeon crawl, and cool features like Join Ave and the PWC. Challenge mode alone makes this the high bar for the series.

8. Advance Wars 2 ; From a single player perspective, the best in the series. More CO variety during the campaign, while not quite so broken in CO powers as the sequel.

9. Super Metroid ; (just copying and pasting my vote from the gen 4 thread)Close enough to perfection to make no difference. What made the 16 bit gen what it was was steady iteration on the ideas first explored in the last get. The games looked better, but were also more confident, and had a better understanding of what they were trying to accomplish to begin with. Super Metroid was I think not just the best leap forward, but displayed the best understanding of what video games could really accomplish. Its story was perfect because of, rather than in spite of , its sparse approach to storytelling. The progression the right balance of exploration and forward momentum. The mood was flawless.

10. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door ; I'm really sad to see this series give on the RPG elements, because it really was an extraordinary RPG series. The partner dynamics and variety of buffs lead to a lot of tactical considerations, and badge optimization strategic ones. The action combat system, goofy story, and engaging dungeons completed the package. It's a shame to see something so great come into existence, and then so quickly go away.

Raitaro

Sorry, too little time for a fully annotated list due to baby, but here is at least a somewhat short and simple version (which could change on a week to week basis but this is what I'd choose now):

1. Super Mario World; The game that made me fall in love with the Mario series due to its perfect blend of cartoony platforming and exploration.
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past; The game that came closest to offering a movie-like epic adventure in a fantasy world in my childhood.
3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island; One of the most creative and cooky platforming games ever made (slightly ruined by baby cries...).
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess; While the combat never left me fully satisfied, I adore the game's melancholic portrayal of Hyrule.
5. Super Metroid; World design ripe with environmental storytelling and an unparalled ability to instill a feeling of isolation, eeriness and curiosity.
6. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$; Unparalleled in its creativeness and humor and the perfect handheld game. Made me a fan of Wario.
7. F-Zero; While I love its sequels equally, this one started it all and still entertains me with its stunning, SEGA-esque backgrounds and music.
8. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!; The last MK game I played extensively, in part because of the co-op, the large roster and the all-cup tour.
9. Splatoon; A much-needed fresh wind through Nintendo's output that blends their patented character designs with Japanese urbanism.
10. Super Mario Maker; A few (significant) updates short of being the perfect 2D Mario game and one of the best creation tools on the market.

Honourable mentions that I love dearly too and that could take top 10 spots depending on mood (oh boy, here we go...breathe in...):
x. Balloon Fight
x. The Legend of Zelda
x. Super Mario Bros.
x. Super Mario Bros. 3
x. Tetris (GB)
x. Balloon Kid
x. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
x. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
x. Stunt Race FX
x. Donkey Kong Country
x. Tetris Attack
x. Metroid Fusion
x. Metroid: Zero Mission
x. WarioWare: Twisted!
x. Super Mario 64
x. Wave Race 64
x. F-Zero X
x. Star Fox 64
x. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
x. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
x. Luigi's Mansion
x. Super Mario Sunshine
x. F-Zero GX
x. Metroid Prime
x. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
x. Kirby's Epic Yarn
x. Wii Sports Resort
x. Super Mario Galaxy
x. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Man, this was really hard to do, even when only sticking to full first party IP! Looking back, I guess I still value the classics more than Nintendo's newer output going by the almost complete lack of post-GBA / post Gamecube games. I also seem to like but never really fully love some of their other well-loved series like Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Smash Bros., Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Mother, Punch-out!, or even Pokemon. Majora's Mask, another somewhat weird omission, could very well have been my favorite Zelda game of all-time...if I had not missed it back in the day (and would not have had trouble getting into it now). Mario Kart, finally, kind of lost me with its later installments despite me still buying them to let my wife have her fun. They have started to feel shallow or even hollow to me for some reason and MK8 in particular never managed to hold my attention for longer than a few races unfortunately.

Xeno_V

1. Super Mario World ; Nintendo's finest and most balanced 2d platforming attempt. Fantastic art style, great OST, longer levels than SMB3 and tons of secrets. I play this game once per year more or less.
2. Metroid Prime ; This game blew me out of the water. I think that Metroid was the toughest series to convert from 2d to 3d but Retro Studios exceeded all kinds of expecations with this. Insane level design, great locations, even greater OST.
3. Super Mario 64 ; This one revolutionized gaming in so many ways... I was shocked when I realized that no other game in the next several years could match what Nintendo managed back then on their first attempt.
4. Super Metroid ; 2d gaming perfection - not much else to add there. I love everything about this game.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; Choosing an entry from such a series is not the easiest thing in the world, but OoT is the most well-balanced 3d Zelda game. Fantastic pacing, great dungeons and several classic moments.
6. F-Zero: GX ; Best racing game ever made. The sense of speed, the graphics, the frame rate, the OST, all those levels.... the unlockables, the challenges, the insane difficulty... just wow.
7. Super Mario Galaxy ; Better than SM64 in several ways, not as refined as SMG2 though, but still this game made me realize that there is still hope for 3d platformers and it made me fall in love with the genre again.
8. Mario Kart 8 ; Best MK hands down in my opinion. The smooth gameplay, the game's aesthetics, the BEYOND awesome OST and also the best DLC ever.
9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; It has to be the best DKC game. It is just so beautiful and with so many good levels and yes, another game with a perfect OST. It is surprising how Nintendo can be raising the bar on platformers again and again.
10. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening ; ALTTP might have the better dungeon design, but LA is more charming in so many ways... this game has the "soul' that most 2d Zelda games are lacking.

Top Bottom