• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

@KojiKnight:

I just tested and ffmpeg uses all of my 4 cores pretty equally on my i5 3570k, what CPU do you have? I read that by default ffmpeg should automatically allocate the optimal core-load depending on the codec used :/

In any case if you want to try a forced core usage replace the last line of my script with this:

Code:
"%ProgramFiles%\WebM\ffmpeg.exe" -i %1 -ss %Start% -to %End% -c:v %Codec% -crf %Quality% -b:v %Bit%M -vf scale=%Width%:-1 %Audio% -threads 4 %1.converted.webm

If I read it right that should force it to use 4 cores.

EDIT: Okay it's a problem with ffmpeg itself, you can read more here :(
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/vie...sid=baddd9a9865dfcfa9da3732cb8bcbb91&start=20

Multi-core support seems to be erratic at best :/

@KojiKnight:

I just tested and ffmpeg uses all of my 4 cores pretty equally on my i5 3570k, what CPU do you have? I read that by default ffmpeg should automatically allocate the optimal core-load depending on the codec used :/

In any case if you want to try a forced core usage replace the last line of my script with this:

Code:
"%ProgramFiles%\WebM\ffmpeg.exe" -i %1 -ss %Start% -to %End% -c:v %Codec% -crf %Quality% -b:v %Bit%M -vf scale=%Width%:-1 %Audio% -threads 4 %1.converted.webm

If I read it right that should force it to use 4 cores.

EDIT: Okay it's a problem with ffmpeg itself, you can read more here :(
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/vie...sid=baddd9a9865dfcfa9da3732cb8bcbb91&start=20

Multi-core support seems to be erratic at best :/

Yeah not ideal, but forcing 2 threads was still a 20% improvement which is better than nothing.

(edit) Actually getting about 70% better in the current video I'm doing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WebM is Vorbis audio with VP8 video in a restricted Matroska container. VP8 is an inferior, but presumably patent-free current generation (same as H.264) video format. H.265 and VP9 are from the next generation. Encoders for those two are currently under active development, but there's still a lot of work to do before they are ready to replace the current standards.

I believe work on VP9 was completed some time ago (it's in Chrome and Opera, at least.)

WebM also can include the next gen Opus audio format instead of Vorbis. It's far superior and even supported by Microsoft (not in IE AFAIK, but they contributed.)

Dennis

Banned
WebM is Vorbis audio with VP8 video in a restricted Matroska container. VP8 is an inferior, but presumably patent-free current generation (same as H.264) video format. H.265 and VP9 are from the next generation. Encoders for those two are currently under active development, but there's still a lot of work to do before they are ready to replace the current standards.

I can use VP9 to create my webms right now.

The drawback being that the encoding takes a lot longer than for VP8. Creates smaller file sizes though - of course that being the whole point.

I can use VP9 to create my webms right now.

The drawback being that the encoding takes a lot longer than for VP8. Creates smaller file sizes though - of course that being the whole point.

A lot of websites and such don't support it yet though (see gfycat).

It's also supported in Firefox at this point. (replying to the post above yours :))

Yeah not ideal, but forcing 2 threads was still a 20% improvement which is better than nothing.

(edit) Actually getting about 70% better in the current video I'm doing.

That's something yeah but okay that sounds like it depends on the source material :/ If there's ever a better ffmpeg build for multi-cores I will link to it as technically all builds should work with my script aslong as the commands aren't changed.

That's something yeah but okay that sounds like it depends on the source material :/ If there's ever a better ffmpeg build for multi-cores I will link to it as technically all builds should work with my script aslong as the commands aren't changed.

Well I (and I assume many others) appreciate what you've done so far :)

Well, how good is the source material you are using, and what settings are you using when converting? That one doesn't look too bad to me.

Got that off of YouTube in 720p. Using handbrake to convert videos in constant 60fps setting with bitrate quality set to around 10.

Trying to set everything to high etc

gngf123

Got that off of YouTube in 720p. Using handbrake to convert videos in constant 60fps setting with bitrate quality set to around 10.

Trying to set everything to high etc

In which case I'd probably put a lot of that down to youtube compression + lossy conversion, unless if you compare the source with the final webm and see a major difference, in which case you might want to try a different codec/bitrate.

Not the person you responded to, but thanks for putting up how you did it. It was the only easy way to get this done. Now I was able to make this (though I'm not sure if it's 60fps or not). Too bad I'm not good at this game, because it doesn't show very much lol.

http://a.pomf.se/csroxf.webm

I don't think that's 60fps (check other Sonic Unleashed (it's Unleashed, right?)) videos that have been posted before. Are you running it at 60fps? Are you recording it at 60fps (fraps options)?

akaoni

Banned
7r7d9IQ.png

This is what I see when they don't work which is quite a few of them.

Oh god the Grease Monkey script auto-updated and turned on auto-play by default! The laaaaaaaaag!!

Whew.... now that autoplay is disabled again... all good in the neighborhood.

What advantages does h.26x have over VP9, other than more support?
HEVC has a little better efficiency due to move available intra prediction methods
It's inter-frame prediction methods are easier to parallelize in hardware (wave-front parallel processing)
(mainly due to patents)

Still, coding efficiency between HEVC and VP9 isn't too different, and VP9 has benefits for streaming applications (i.e. better error handling)

grkazan12

Have the latest extension installed for chrome? Sometimes when I load up a new page with webms, it sometimes never loads, stays black, or takes a while to load. My CPU is pretty good, could my internet be the problem?

-KRS-

I dunno guys. I love this but the videos are loading so slowly for me. I think we need a new host or something because it probably shouldn't take me around 1 minute to fully load a 5 second wif on a 100/100mbit connection. I mean that can't be more than 2MB in size right? If even that. Granted, I am on a shitty netbook from 2009 (which hates the fact that I'm playing lots of 720p+ media in one tab), but once loaded the wifs doesn't seem to have any issues other than high resolution ones stuttering quite a bit because of the shitty Atom CPU.

Also, is the proper firefox extension the way to go? I'm using the greasemonkey script right now.

Edit: Memory usage is pretty crazy as well. I only have this tab opened in firefox and no other program running on this computer right now, and yet it's using 1500MB of RAM. And I haven't even clicked play on any of the videos on this page!

-KRS-

Alright, I just installed it. And I think I'll keep using it! Thanks for making it. I love the hover to play functionality.

First wif I tried it with loaded instantly as well, so I thought it might've been something with the greasemonkey script, but after that it was back to the slooow loading again. So it's definitely the host.

Gurish

I've downloaded the Add on for Fire Fox and it's starting all the videos automatically although the Auto Play box isn't checked, it's killing my CPU trying to play videos all at once how can i cancel Auto Play??

Haunted

I dunno guys. I love this but the videos are loading so slowly for me. I think we need a new host or something because it probably shouldn't take me around 1 minute to fully load a 5 second wif on a 100/100mbit connection. I mean that can't be more than 2MB in size right? If even that. Granted, I am on a shitty netbook from 2009 (which hates the fact that I'm playing lots of 720p+ media in one tab), but once loaded the wifs doesn't seem to have any issues other than high resolution ones stuttering quite a bit because of the shitty Atom CPU.

Also, is the proper firefox extension the way to go? I'm using the greasemonkey script right now.

Edit: Memory usage is pretty crazy as well. I only have this tab opened in firefox and no other program running on this computer right now, and yet it's using 1500MB of RAM. And I haven't even clicked play on any of the videos on this page!
Yeah, pomf.se has been shitting itself because of the sudden influx.

Reliable hosting needs to pop up ASAP if this is to take off. Just as picture hosting sites like imgur, minus or abload rose to prominence, something like that will be needed for these video files.

ekim

Yeah, pomf.se has been shitting itself because of the sudden influx.

Reliable hosting needs to pop up ASAP if this is to take off. Just as picture hosting sites like imgur, minus or abload rose to prominence, something like that will be needed for these video files.

If I had the time and the money in advance I would do it. This is a possible goldmine :p

Top Bottom