• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf's first NeoCosplay Thread. Muahahaha

Lucis

Not sure if I have posted this before... I might...

224305_10150167487876356_4458088_n.jpg

Platy

This has too many views and too few posts ... so lets make a ... a ... discussion ! =O

This article about Fake Geek Girls looks like a good start !

Here is the part about cosplay :

The Mary Sue said:
We’re told we can’t keep up intellectually.

How are costumes in any way related to comics knowledge? Moreover, how are skimpy costumes related to comics knowledge? And what if these women who cosplay want to be seen in their costume and therefore want the attention? (GASP!). I have no explanation for this imagined fantasy that women who cosplay for attention cannot be actual nerds. But I have to acknowledge that the accusation of being “fake” stings like hydrosulphuric acid because of the underlying message that we’re not knowledgeable enough to read, enjoy and understand comics, especially if we’re wearing a costume that’s seen as provocative or revealing. “You’re too busy looking like a slut you can’t possibly have read all the issues of The Walking Dead.” I don’t get it. I simply can’t form a sensible relationship between skin and stupidity, because these two things operate on completely different, orthogonal planes. But nothing seems more damaging to a woman than the simultaneous attack on both her body and her brain.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This has too many views and too few posts ... so lets make a ... a ... discussion ! =O

I know I've personally been a fake geek boy on more than one occasion to get closer to a girl who had one weird bit of fandom or another.

It's real, but it's a minor thing when it comes to cosplayers because of the amount of work it takes.

Pretending to be interested in something for personal gain though? Old as dirt.

I think that the person misses the point entirely. When growing up alot of geeks/nerds were told that what they like made them outcasts. They most likely would never get any girls if they didn't put down the geeky stuff, play sports, work out, and generally be outside "living" life. I guess because doing the other stuff means you are wasting your life away.

So over time geeky things started to get more popular and in turn get more exposure, more acceptance and makes more money for some companies. Because all of this happens around the same time, it becomes harder for geeky males (who seemed to be the most open about it) to believe that girls (attractive ones at that) could also be really invested in some of these cultures. And it is not about intelligence levels, it is about the idea that most women seem to have "other" things to do. But let us not forget that there are a noticeable amount of females who dress up because they like the design more than the media they come from and the group that set this stereotype in motion....."Booth Babes". I personally find nothing wrong with these alternate examples, but I do credit them for making geeky girls have a rough go at being accepted as real fans instead of fake or paid fans.

Who is this supposed to be? Because Sue Storm's never dressed like that.

And of course when stuff like that happens.

Platy

I know I've personally been a fake geek boy on more than one occasion to get closer to a girl who had one weird bit of fandom or another.

It's real, but it's a minor thing when it comes to cosplayers because of the amount of work it takes.

Pretending to be interested in something for personal gain though? Old as dirt.

We are evolving a lot, but personal gain from being a FEMALE nerd ?

If you are minimaly atractive you don't need to get all the troube to faking being a nerd to get a guy with glasses.
You don't even have to fake being a nerd because people will call you fake ... you can just dress normaly and say to a nerd "I want to have sex with you" =P

I think that the person misses the point entirely. When growing up alot of geeks/nerds were told that what they like made them outcasts. They most likely would never get any girls if they didn't put down the geeky stuff, play sports, work out, and generally be outside "living" life. I guess because doing the other stuff means you are wasting your life away.

So over time geeky things started to get more popular and in turn get more exposure, more acceptance and makes more money for some companies. Because all of this happens around the same time, it becomes harder for geeky males (who seemed to be the most open about it) to believe that girls (attractive ones at that) could also be really invested in some of these cultures. And it is not about intelligence levels, it is about the idea that most women seem to have "other" things to do. But let us not forget that there are a noticeable amount of females who dress up because they like the design more than the media they come from and the group that set this stereotype in motion....."Booth Babes". I personally find nothing wrong with these alternate examples, but I do credit them for making geeky girls have a rough go at being accepted as real fans instead of fake or paid fans.

When growing up people had lots of problems watching animes and other obscure fandons because people lacked the internet and other things related to explosion of popularity.
When you see a fan of an anime that didn't aired in the USA (change for whatever country you are in), do you ask how that person got that anime or do you talk about said anime ?

Long time ago was LONG TIME AGO, people change, things change.
Why didn't the "girls are not allowed/don't want" changed ?
Why was it the ONLY ONE that didn't changed ?

If a woman is so smart, why is she dressing up like an adolescent boy's fantasy? /snark

Because a smart person knows that a character is way more than the costume of the character.
Also, lack of options.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If any of those GirlAge threads teached me anything is that you don't even need to say ... sometimes you can just look in the general direction of the person across the room

Is that all it takes for some guys? Tsk tsk.

Also it's probably even easier at conventions. Gathering of deviants!

tumblr_mevxzh9kgd1qcio8ko2_400.jpg
tumblr_mevxzh9kgd1qcio8ko1_400.jpg

Fantastic!

When growing up people had lots of problems watching animes and other obscure fandons because people lacked the internet and other things related to explosion of popularity.
When you see a fan of an anime that didn't aired in the USA (change for whatever country you are in), do you ask how that person got that anime or do you talk about said anime ?

Long time ago was LONG TIME AGO, people change, things change.
Why didn't the "girls are not allowed/don't want" changed ?
Why was it the ONLY ONE that didn't changed ?

I am not sure if you really understood my post. What I was talking about was the changes that happened recently that has led to suspicions about girls being genuine fans.

I don't see how you can misunderstand what I am saying. Booth babes and/or Models paid to pretend they like a product, have been around for a long time and the largest, most in your face examples of women on the gaming scene. Then in turn we can talk about Female reporters on the gaming scene who attract alot of attention.

Again, the suspicions didn't just come for nowhere, or never has anime/comics/games been a boys only club. it just seemed that way for a long time and the more recent (as in the last gen) exposure of female gamers on the scene just brings about questions of motivation.

Granted there are some men who are always going to be pigs (that is not exclusive to any particular fanbase) but I am not talking about those people. Just the more observant ones who are questioning motivations and timing of the things they see.

We are evolving a lot, but personal gain from being a FEMALE nerd ?

If you are minimaly atractive you don't need to get all the troube to faking being a nerd to get a guy with glasses.
You don't even have to fake being a nerd because people will call you fake ... you can just dress normaly and say to a nerd "I want to have sex with you" =P

You would be surprised. it is one thing for a female to gain fans because she is attractive but there are alot of pretty women out there. She may gain an even more dedicated following when she is not only attractive but turns out to like "Insert Franchise here" that may have its own fanbase. Now she may have an edge in terms of followers and attention because there will be a sense of liking something in common, which makes the person seem more down to earth.

Platy

I am not sure if you really understood my post. What I was talking about was the changes that happened recently that has led to suspicions about girls being genuine fans.

And i was talking about the same changes that happened in lots of other places in the same time and how they don't take the past for true, and yet they take the girls can't being genuine fans as true.
Do you acept the changes in anime viewing and yet you don't acept the changes in public opening ?

The problem seems more focuse on women and why not on the sexism ... here is a good example :

You would be surprised. it is one thing for a female to gain fans because she is attractive but there are alot of pretty women out there. She may gain an even more dedicated following when she is not only attractive but turns out to like "Insert Franchise here" that may have its own fanbase. Now she may have an edge in terms of followers and attention because there will be a sense of liking something in common, which makes the person seem more down to earth.

Ok .. these people sure exist ... but look at my word : These PEOPLE, not just these women.
Why people say that most of the hot GIRLS are doing this and not the hot males ?

You can't be a hot girls and like what you like ?
Do you believe the universe is balanced in any way ? =P

Why do people think of this without any other reason behind if not for simple PREJUDICE ?
And guess what they call prejudice on sex ? =P

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Platy, if you wanna engage in some discussion. This is gonna be all over the place so I apologize in advance.

I go to a lot of cons a year. Well, if Im gonna compare to cosplayers and people really into the scene then I dont, but I go to around 5 a year. Im also a dude who "doesnt look like a nerd" Whether Im good looking or not is not for me to say, but I do have a good metabolism that keeps me spry, haha. Ive only cosplayed once, its my wife thats really into it, so I feel like I have a pretty good take on what the deal is.

I think that the number one mistake nerds make is assume that other nerds are nice or accepting of others. Ive found that in many cases, nerds are as unaccepting of others as the people that made fun of them in high school. Theres a lot of jealousy, backstabbing and straight up lying within the community, and its one of the sad aspects of it. You find people who are unattractive complain their costume doesnt get any attention because of their looks when in reality their costume is just shitty. You find artists complain that they dont get any sales because theyre not "selling out" like the other artists when in reality its because their work sucks and they dont put enough time into evolving their art or market themselves better.

Basically, they have stared into the abyss too long

Theres also the other end of the spectrum, when people think all cosplay is is hot people prancing around getting attention. Well, yes, there is some of that. Some cosplayers dont know shit about the fandom and just want people to look at their tits or ass. Other cosplayers, whose only "sin" is to have been blessed anatomically do love the fandom and costuming is their way of expressing it. Thinking in black and white and assuming its all "one way or the other" is extremely hurtful and only builds drama.

And anybody who goes to cons knows that theres enough drama to go around.

It always makes me sad to go to cons and see reeeeaally good people with "meh" costumes get all the attention and average looking people with omgamazing costumes get ignored ... but it happens a lot. In this thread you see exceptional cosplay that probably represents about 5% of the cosplay you would see in a con, it paints a very disingenuous picture of what the hobby is.

Obviously its a small business, but its still a business. Some cosplayers try to carve a niche for themselves and try to get some money back for their expenses, so the smart ones make contacts with the photographers and try to build a fanbase so that they can start monetizing their hobby. Thats not a crime, artists do the same thing and nobody goes after them like its a witch hunt. Other cosplayers will do what they can to get ahead and act like bitches in order to get what they want, but this happens everywhere in life. Everybody kind of knows each other from seeing them at the same cons every year, so after a while you get to know these people and recognize who are the assholes and who are legit, nice and hardworking, its very rewarding! I have made really good friendships because of this hobby.

How fans react to cosplayers on the floor is kind of fascinating. Right off the bat I'll say that 90% of people are really nice and respectful and theres no problems. The 10% though, thats where it gets interesting. These people have severe entitlement issues, they see the cosplayer as a tool for them to get off so theres some bad language, demand for photos and sometimes even groping. Photographers and video people sometimes are also a problem, they see themselves as the boss and sometimes will just say crazy shit because their egos are so inflated, things like "Oh I dont want her, shes ugly" "Can you introduce me to your hot friend" etc etc. Of course these people are really insecure and only man up when there's no other dudes around, so usually when I accompany my wife through the floor, they're all super nice ... but as soon as I leave for a while and come back, my wife is full of horror stories to relay.

I think the important thing to do when you see someone cosplay is not to go overboard and treat them like people. If you talk to them like an actual human being youll be able to figure out reeeeeal quick whether theyre for real or not.

Girls like this are difficult.......wanna holla at her but don't want her thinkin she hot shit and in my league.

Well if the fact you want to fuck her doesn't show that she is good looking and 'in your league' then i don't know what will! I personally don't like her but your attitude is disgusting.

Top Bottom