• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2015: Voting Ends January 17th

ohlawd

Oooh, I forgot about Atelier Shallie, that's another good one- with only a single mention :/

yeah well I'm no stranger to voting for shit no one's heard of

I'm not gonna go out there and extol the brilliancenessnessness of Atelier or Etrian Odyssey or whatever. if people are sleeping on a buncha good games, then let 'em. these are some of the nichest shit ever lol

spiritfox

1. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

It's almost impossible to make a soundtrack for an MMO that does not get boring after the 100th time you hear it, but Heart of Thorns comes close to achieving it. Maclaine Diemer and Lena Chappelle knocked it out of the park in regards to the soundtrack, especially compared to Jeremy Soule's compositions in the base game. The feeling of dread when you face a gigantic dragon, the wonderous feeling of discovering a mystical city in the wild jungles, and the sombre tunes of lives lost fighting a futile battle against a force of nature. The soundtrack is perhaps the best thing to come out of Heart of Thorns, and shows how relative unknowns can be even better than some of the biggest names in the industry.

Main Theme
Tarir, The Forgotten City
Rata Novus
Mordremoth Battle

2. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight

Of course an Etrian Odyssey game has to be in this list. The remixed tracks are done better compared to Millennium Girl, and the new tracks are not too bad either. It does help that the original game had the best soundtrack of the series (fight me). Yuzo Koshiro is one of my favorite composers for a reason, and the only reason why it's not 1st is because most of the soundtrack are remixes.

Also, First Campaign is the best battle theme ever.

Come On, Start the Adventure!
Battlefield - The First Campaign
Labyrinth IV - Cherry Tree Bridge
War - Shadows of Death over there

3. Undertale

Not much left to be said about this. A great game made for a great soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlyF43Te6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdE3R3BeH-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDQGK6ztbLs
All the good ones have already been picked.

Melchiah

wLSETyQl.jpg

1. Bloodborne

The portentous yet melancholic orchestral soundtrack fits the atmosphere of the game perfectly, and makes the whole even more special. Gotta love the use of cello as well.

Cleric Beast (a video of the recording session)
Hunter's Dream
Omen
Queen of the Vilebloods

2. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Carter's House
Deadly Lantern
Rotten Priest

EDIT:
3. The Order: 1886

The Knight's Theme
The Darkness Within
The Trial

Honorable mention:
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser

Epilogue

GamerJM

Banned
1. Undertale
Undertale is a game I wish I liked more than I actually did. It seems to be a game that would normally hit all of the right notes for me; quirky dialogue, JRPG, retro aesthetic that isn't generic, non-open world and based around plot decisions. But in practice the shmup-inspired battle system was something that I found to be ultimately not to my liking, and playing pacifist style seems to be too trial-and-errorish. These flaws will prevent it from even getting an honorable mention in my main list. But I adore everything else about the game, and the soundtrack is by far the best thing it offers. Undertale's OST is a rare soundtrack that I actually enjoy more and gain appreciation for more outside of the context of the game. Listening to "Hopes and Dreams," without actually playing the game allows me to reflect on just how damn awesome it is. After listening to it dozens of times I feel it might be one of my favorite songs ever, it sounds like some kind of orchestral metal Ace Attorney piece, or some shit. Drawing inspiration from various aspects of music, from SNES RPGs to hard rock, Undertale's OST is as diverse as they come. I'm not even sure if I can really accurately describe what makes these songs so engaging. You can just listen to them over and over. The boss themes never fail to get me pumped as hell. With so much to love, Undertale's OST almost feels like the climax of game OSTs up to this point in time.

Hopes and Dreams

Death By Glamour
Megalovania
Asgore

2. Splatoon
Splatoon's OST is quirky and fitting. There's a lot of variety in the various Vs. themes and I never get bored of listening to them when playing online. The "squid vocals," manage to be adorable but never grating. And of course I had to put this on the list just for the masterpiece that is the Squid Sisters theme.

Squid Sisters
Vs. Theme 1
Vs. Theme 3
Vs. Theme 7

3. Xenoblade X Chronicles
Ranging the gauntlet from epic to corny as hell, XCX, manages to have a delightfully enjoyable OST. Some of the silliest lyrics in game music this side of 3D Sonic are here. But at the same time, it manages to have a very fitting soundtrack.

Black Tar

Uncontrollable
Don't Worry

x. Rock Band 4
This is eligible, right? I didn't see any rules against licensed soundtracks. I feel a bit like cheating here, but oh well. Honestly RB 1-3 blow this game out of the fucking water in terms of on-disc songs, but it's still good enough for an honorable mention. I mean, I can't hate on a soundtrack that ranges from St. Vincent to the Who.

Birth in Reverse
The Seeker
Uptown Funk
Your Love

x. Rhythm Tengoku The Best +
Nothing in this game really dug into me like Fever's OST, but there's still some great stuff here. I mean, when your game is a rhythm game it needs to have some catchy stuff. Also, now that I finally played one of these games in Japanese, I'm glad I don't have to put up with the awkwardly translated English lyrics. There's some good J-Pop here that retains the distinct vibe of the series.

Fan Club 2
Remix 10
Lockstep
Remix 9

x. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Just to be clear here, this game sucks ass. It might be the worst game I bothered to actually play for more than like 10 hours, like, ever. There's very few redeemable qualities about it but the music is one of them. Just, great, epic, emotional stuff here. Truly worthy of the Final Fantasy name. Definitely reminiscent of the sort of stuff in Crisis Core, as the game has the same composer, and the OST is about on-par with that game. It's still far from having the best Final Fantasy OST though; this is no FF8 or Mystic Quest.

UTAKATA
Machina Kunagiri
Howl of the Dreadnought
Show of Power

Mcdohl

header.jpg

1. - Undertale

Undertale is a game that has a beautifully crafted world accompanied by a beautifully crafted soundtrack.

With it being a game that relies a lot on the theme of determination, I felt like a lot of its songs did help me stay determined to finish the game.

Regardless of the music quality, it's hard to not acknowledge Toby Fox's craftsmanship when composing a soundtrack that strongly supports the game's storytelling, and that helps create an overall cohesive experience.

• The feeling of wanting to keep going, no matter what. Listen to: Another Medium
  • The feeling of not giving up on any fight, no matter what. Listen to:
  • This song fills you with determination. Listen to: Hopes and Dreams

header.jpg

2. - Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

After the original Hotline Miami, is this soundtrack just more of the same? Sure.

Is that bad? Hell no!

Let's face the facts: Hotline Miami is a series where its experiences depend on its music.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number continues the path of its predecessor by utilizing adrenaline-inducing music on its action packed stages, and relaxing / dreamy songs for its storytelling sequences,
  • The game greets you with a relaxing title screen. At times, it made me leave the screen unattended for extended periods of time, just so I could sit back and relax alongside its song, specially after having played some frenetic stages. Listen to: Title Screen
  • One of the many 80s-ish, synth-filled track matching the music style that the series is famous for. Listen to: Sexualizer
  • This song fills you with adrenaline. Listen to: Roller Mobster

header_japanese.jpg

3. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

After Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and its 5 major patches, Masayoshi Soken keeps delivering.

Without spoiling much, Heavensward's storyline takes you, the adventurer, on a journey to new lands. And of course that includes exploring dungeons, fighting monsters, and a lot of dramatic story scenes with the Final Fantasy flavor.

Soken has successfully composed a soundtrack that makes sure no moment lacks an appropriate tune, while leaving room to experimentation.

Being a Final Fantasy title, it has the additional challenge of having some really big shoes to fill, but make no mistake, this game's soundtrack is a worthy addition to the series' vast repertoire.

• The final area of the game has a very final dungeon vibe. It has a song that carefully follows the clash that the area stands for: classic fantasy themes such as dragons and floating islands (through drums, air instruments, and piano) with advanced technology (through synthesizers). Listen to:
  • Venturing more into the experimental side of things, here's a song that while unorthodox, gives life to one of the expansion's most memorable dungeons. Listen to: The Great Gubal Library
  • My personal favorite is Bismarck's second phase theme. A song so good, that in my opinion, can stand out even without the game's context. Listen to: Woe That Is Madness

Honorable Mentions:
  • Bloodborne
  • Fallout 4
  • And to a lesser degree: Legend of Legacy

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - While I didn't like the game so much, the 80s songs mixed with original music definitely set the mood perfectly for this game's time period. In fact, listening to this soundtrack makes me wish I had a different opinion on the game. It won't make my GOTY list, but it damn sure is my Soundtrack of the Year 2015.

Excerpts:
Maneater
Quiet's Theme
Sins of the Father
The Girl's Gone

2. Witcher 3 - Pulse pounding, excellent themes are all over this soundtrack. Such a joy to listen to at any time.
Excerpts:
Geralt of Rivia
Wake up Ciri
Commanding the Fury
Farewell, Old Friend

3. Undertale - Emotional, funny, scary, whimsical, Undertale's soundtrack manages to be both varied and perfectly capture the spirit of the game.

Excerpts:
Waterfall
Snowdin Town
Snowy

Honourable Mentions (if any)
Ori and the Blind Forest - This was a beautiful soundtrack just like the game was. None of the themes particularly stand out, but I love it nonetheless.
Splatoon - Fun, bouncy themes throughout the game captures its spirit of just having fun shooting ink.

LTTP vote (if any)
Persona 4 Golden - Took me so long to finally play this, but the soundtrack is as amazing like I expected it to be.

PetrCobra

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X
- I was kind of losing all hope for the soundtrack to be balanced enough before the release but it mostly fits incredibly well, with some great catchy tunes just like the first XBC
Some favorites: Noctilum Day Theme, Uncontrollable

2. Splatoon
- It just reminds me of my days with MegaDrive playing Sonic games over and over. Great classic-style videogame music,
Some favorites: Splattack!, Ink Me Up

3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- I find the series consistently great in the music department, although I only started playing when Tri was released.
Some favorites: Zinogre, Gore Magala

Man, I really went Nintendo all the way this year didn't I. Can't really say I have any regrets though.

Eolz

Why should anybody take this topic seriously when it has been just everybody's favorite Nintendo's games as of late?

That's not really what I'm reading those past few pages. Even if it was the case, what would be the problem as long as the soundtracks are great?
fake edit: putting my vote up this week, having some difficulties to choose my top 3.

Noctunowl's right these are the hottest Nintendo jams in a decade.

1. Undertale
Mmm, those delicious leitmotifs. The entire soundtrack is a part of one man's passion project, so it's not really surprising for it to be astounding as a whole. I can't source it, but I believe Toby Fox actually composed a lot of the music before creating the scenarios and characters they were to accompany. That's probably why the music fits as well as it does.

Snowy
Home
It's Raining Somewhere Else

2. BloodBorne
Like the above, the music just really elevates the moment. In this case it's really about the boss fights more so then the locales, but I digress.

Father Gascoigne
That
asshole sword guy

That
asshole two swords lady

3. Hotline Miami 2
It may have been a worse playing sequel, but you can't deny it's got some adrenaline pumping jams.

Divide
In The Face Of Evil

demidar

Nintendo really diversified their musical portfolio this year with the likes of Undertale, Hotline Miami 2 and Bloodborne.

I really didn't think Nintendo would publish Hotline Miami 2 on account of it being super violent, but they've surprised me yet again!

1) The Witcher 3

A lot of my favorite ones have already been mention so I submit Skellige Isle Ambient Music.
I gave up on the game a few hours after reaching Ard Skellig, but it sure wasn't due to the music. Some of the best stuff in the entire soundtrack can be found there. The visuals and music play together really well in that region. The audio really helped make the region feel cold, in a weird synaesthesic move.

Why should anybody take this topic seriously when it has been just everybody's favorite Nintendo's games as of late?
Well for starters, a Nintendo-dominated list would be just as valid as an all-PC/Sony/Microsoft/Mobile one. People will vote for what spoke to them, and if you can't take personal opinions seriously, maybe you shouldn't be reading threads based on personal opinions.

Secondly I think you have a bit tunnel vision here. Nintendo games aren't all that prolific this year in the votes. Only two or three may chart in the top 10 at the rate things are going, and none of them are contending for the top spot.

Moonkid

A little foreword: Needless to say, all of these games had music that excelled at serving as a game soundtrack, and in some cases they shined as individual pieces of music outside the immediate context it's presented in, in the game. But even so, what made these soundtracks really stand out is how characteristic of the game they sound. They nail the feel of the game so well that sometimes they feel inseparable to the game itself. In other words when you listen to these songs, you immediately think of their game counterparts as there are very few other games that share its musical language. These soundtracks have purpose, and have either been composed or compiled to serve the greater experience of playing said game beyond just being a cool piece of music. The best soundtracks across any medium have personality and these are the games I felt achieved this the best, out of the meager amount of games released this year I've played. Also, it's probably no easy feat for most of us who don't have the spare time to play games whenever they want but I do implore anyone who's unfamiliar with these games to play them first before listening to the soundtrack. They're all strong individual pieces as they are but they leave a much greater impression within the context of their game which is saying a lot because as it is, they're already beautiful compositions without a story or a game's mechanics backing them up.

1. Bloodborne - Ryan Amon, Tsukasa Saitoh, Yuka Kitamura, Michael Wandmacher, Nobuyoshi Suzuki

sye2Spc.png

Unlike the previous games released in From Software's fandubbed 'Soulsborne' series, Bloodborne's soundtrack didn't really grab me from the get go. It wasn't a case of encountering a boss for the first time and the track hooking me in instantly, nor was it a mood that I could immediately get a feel for most of the time. Bloodborne's music wasn't my initial soundtrack of the year but needless to say, over time, it has grown on me quite a bit. This was a soundtrack that the more I contemplated on and considered, the more complex it became and the craft put in became all the more apparent.

Hat's off to everyone involved in the music in whatever role they had, whether they composed it or gave direction to how it should sound. The interview the composers gave to Playstation is a must-read for any fan of the soundtrack because it gives a little bit more insight, however brief, into the creative process of making Bloodborne's musical accompaniment. What struck me the most was their decision to stick to a particular set of instruments and timbre, avoiding for example the organ, to establish a particular soundscape. This demonstrates intention and a willingness to stick to a particular vision, a kind of craft that elevated the music for me. They really put a lot of thought and care into making this more than just a collection of great songs as the music itself acts as part of the setting, an instrumental part of the 'Soulsborne' games. As much as I like my big, proud brass I admire how selective they were in conveying what the developers desired the player should feel. Horror and dread, tragedy and triumph, these are all words to describe the music of Bloodborne and the music of many other games but the way the music itself has delivered these emotions fits none better than the pseudo-Victorian, nightmare of a game Bloodborne is. This isn't to say the soundtrack is devoid of grandiose moments for it knows exactly when to dip its toes into this mood, and this leads into another aspect of Bloodborne's soundtrack that makes it so great.

It is no coincidence that the most bombastic moment of Bloodborne's soundtrack so far comes during the second-half of Ludwig's boss fight, the first of the Old Hunter's DLC. Much like in Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss, we fight early on in the DLC a powerful, notable character fallen from grace that the main-game made reference to. When we finally meet the esteemed knight Artorias, we are greeted by someone crippled and insane, and the subdued music reflects this as a warrior past his prime. Likewise in the Old Hunters expansion, Ludwig is revealed to be literally the most grotesque and perverted beast we have seen so far. The music here initially isn't that dramatic, rather held back, and I'd call the cello line almost playful which makes it all the more creepier. It does grow in tension and it does build towards something but it never quite reaches a climax it's leading us towards. It's a tough fight, and once you whittle down the founder of the Healing Church hunters to half his health a cutscene plays that changes the tone of the fight completely. Here, we have our climax. Fighting Artorias in Dark Souls, he buffs himself with the power of the Abyss, becoming more aggressive and further losing what little humanity he has left but in Bloodborne, Ludwig does the opposite (props to a Gaffer for pointing this out to me). Ludwig regains his composure at the sight of his Holy Moonlight Sword which appears before him, reminding him of the proud, ruthless Hunter he once was. This is Ludwig's last hurrah, not a redemption, and the music shifts to a booming, epic track. As a little aside, I'd hesitate to go as far as calling the tracks which change as the boss fights progress, 'dynamic,' because they don't really react to your actions as much as they simply develop the further along the fight you get. This isn't a slight against what they've done, I love how they've taken the time to make the fights that much more memorable as the music that is so synonymous to these battles also develops. Not all boss fights need to have a twist or develop in some way the further we fight them, but when they do it's all the more satisfying when the music that serves as accompaniment reflects this.

There's something else about the soundtrack also which I'd love to go into more depth about but, as it is now we're a bit limited in how we can interpret or analyse it and that is the lyrics of some of the pieces. This is especially intriguing as, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, the music of Demons Souls to Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin had very little to no actual words in the music. The first time I consciously noticed this was when we're taken away to Hypogean Gaol with the stunning 'Hail the Nightmare' track which you can find a link to below. The call and response between the solo bass and the female choir we hear at the start really seals this moment, and the location, as one of the creepiest in the entire game. Another great moment is when the choir to Gehrman's theme kicks near the end of his fight with that beautiful motif they set up.

This really is From Software's finest soundtrack yet in their recent series of RPGs and I'd argue, the soundtrack of the year. The craft that has gone into placing every instrument and every musical phrase into the right moment to make of the most of it has paid off here immensely. The end result is a thoughtful, attractive collection of pieces. I really can't wait for Dark Souls 3 and see what they do.

2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - Miscellaneous

kDcXOyD.png

Jonatan Söderström and Dennis Wedin had no easy task when going into an inevitable follow-up to the indie hit "fuck-em-up" Hotline Miami. It's no hyperbole to say that central to its success was the songs they chose as part of its soundtrack and so naturally a lot of the attention was directed towards what tracks they would include this time. An interview with PC Gamer the two-man dev team gave reveals that the project which turned into Wrong Number was originally meant to be an "expansion pack" which became its own fully-fledged sequel. They stated that they were "cramming everything we have in there" and that they felt it had to be "innovative...-pretty much a whole new game." From the finished product it's safe to say that they succeeded in setting out to creating a cohesive sequel that featured all the remaining ideas they wanted to include, and some gameplay grievances aside, Wrong Number was an enjoyable game with another stellar soundtrack. That "hypnotic vibe" they established so effectively in the original title carried over to its sequel and, in some ways expanded, on its sonic library to deliver greater highs and different emotions.

Wrong Number's more bombastic, 'hype,' tracks are oft-cited for a good reason. The pulsating bass and electrifying synths on tracks like Roller Mobster and In The Face Of Evil give an adrenaline rush of surgical precision that makes playing the game ridiculously fun. Söderström and Wedin have mastered the synergy between the game and the music for the standout moments of ruthless destruction. My personal favourite of these comes in Le Perv, played during the final scene of Richter's act. It was such an evocative song and I still remember throwing out all caution when the song's climax hit at around 2:55. As a whole, credit is due for turning it up to 11 and not holding back on what is a quintessential part of Hotline Miami, the killing! The soundtrack easily surpasses the original in this regard, but it's strengths go beyond.

The most memorable part of the original Hotline Miami for me was the music that would play in the little segments after each level, the track Daisuke which signaled the end of a chapter. It was the perfect song to debuzz to and I think, much like the eerie music that plays in the level backtrack once you finish, it's just as important as the pumping music and violence that preceded it. This quiet after the storm was yet another triumph for the soundtrack, and I wondered how they'd treat it in the sequel. While no individual piece grabbed me as much as Daisuke did, they managed to expand the alternate side to Hotline Miami's music - even in the levels themselves. Magic Sword's track in Beard's final scene adds a striking nostalgic-quality to the level as you fight your way through to the enemy base. This surfy, electronic song is not what we expect in a game full of over-the-top finales and this remains as one of my favourite gaming moments of 2015. The cutscene music for Richter's levels also deserves praise for its minimalist approach with an electric guitar, synth drum and bass that somehow captures an inescapable melancholy as well as relief. These songs have stayed with me long after playing the game and find themselves on rotation on the off-occasion.

Good job to Söderström and Wedin for selectively arranging these pieces and of course, to the artists themselves that produced and composed them. The range shown in, what is at its base, a game about that timeless act of violence is phenomenal and for any medium, is an exemplar of what you can achieve with a licensed soundtrack.

3. Undertale - Toby Fox

jhYL6vV.png

Like a few others, I only picked up Undertale over the recent Steam winter seal. Consequently, it's the last of the three games I've played on this list, meaning the soundtrack has had the least amount of time to mature on my ears. I admit if I had equal time with all these games Undertale would probably be higher but for now it's last. I guess you can't really avoid this type of stuff for music and end of year lists.

But even so, I can sing my praises for this gem of a soundtrack. I'm reminded of Jasper Byrne's Lone Survivor, a similar one-man video game effort made by a musician with music that knows what it's doing and can effortlessly change feel and style when it wants to. Every time this game subverts your expectations, packs in a pivotal moment, or brings in the feels the soundtrack is right there with it. Our first taste is the music set to the opening prologue that establishes that Undertale motif we'll hear throughout the course of the game, all the way up to final boss fight and ending credits. Props to Fox for putting some real effort into the soundtrack through the use of leitmotifs/motifs that we notice first as easter-eggs before realizing they are very much a substantial part of Undertale's musical language that it can draw from. When each tune is so memorable, every new moment adds onto what we've experienced so far. Undertale may be short length-wise but it is a dense game and the soundtrack reflects this in the best way possible. As much as I loved the ambient tracks that played in the towns or levels, the standouts of this soundtrack are the boss themes and the absolute pinnacle is pretty much all of the late-game tracks where Fox effortlessly interweaves motif after motif. Without spoiling anything, I'll leave it at that.

Another thing I found quite neat was the measured introduction of acoustic instruments. We quickly discover that the music won't just be a mix of chiptunes and synths as the level music of the first area we're in comes in with a piano. Later, a warm guitar plays when we reach our 'home.' We wonder what else Fox has to offer and by the end of the game I was blown away a few times by what instruments he drew in. Not altogether unexpected but no less effective. Using both synthetic and acoustic instruments, Undertale's soundtrack is a joy to listen to. The strength of these compositions is further apparent in the instrumental covers of some of the game's music, such as this excellent saxophone cover.

This is one game in particular where I think the soundtrack should be experienced first-hand, at least most of the boss themes, so I've linked the tracks accordingly. Also, ya'll should link to Bandcamp where possible not Youtube where he gets no royalties, not that I think he'd care that much :p

Evilisk

My Top Three Picks
1. Touhou Kanjuden ~ Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom
I decided that this'd be my number 1 pick because it's kinda disingenuous to not vote my actual OST of the year as 1. My favorite soundtrack of the year and my favorite Touhou soundtack in several games (I'd easily put it up there with IN, but under PCB and MOF). While I don't think ZUN has gotten worse, this is easily one of his most consistent, full game soundtracks in quite a while. I do have a few gripes. There's this disappointing fuzzy quality to some tracks (in particular the Stage 1 theme) that makes it difficult to listen to. And while the first few tracks are still, they're nothing particularly special. However by the time Stage 3 hits and you get to Eternal Spring Dream, the soundtrack just seems to kick into overdrive, with each continuing theme being faster while mixing nice melodies with sinister undertones; and with every boss theme that follows being more frenetic than the last.

It finally culminates with Stage 6's stage, theme, which slows up the pace drastically, before hitting up with the final boss theme, Pure Furies ~ Whereabouts of the Heart (which is a nearly 5 minute, reprise of the Stage theme). The only weaknesses I'd say there are, besides what I've already said is that EX Stage themes that follow don't quite measure up to any of the later stages (it's still good though). The game also seems to be one of ZUN's "action soundtracks" where the themes are all rather cool and frenetic, but really lack a main theme to tie the game musically together. Despite these small failings, I still really, really love the soundtrack for this game, with this being one of my most listened to games this year.
Eternal Spring Dream
The Reversed Wheel of Fortune
Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner
The Frozen Eternal Capital
Faraway 380,000-Kilometer Voyage
The Sea Where the Home Planet is Reflected
September Pumpkin

2. Yakuza 5
Despite how late I got this game (I think I got it last week and finished only a couple of days ago), I'm still putting this on my list. While it's slightly disappointing that the game has musically returned to focusing on rock for battles rather than 4's main theme of jazz, that's just a personal nitpick. Almost all of the extended battle music is excellent despite lacking 4's overall variety (including the individual character themes which are all distinct from one another too). The other half of the game's OST (which is used for Haruka's idol section and the rest of the sidestuff) is solid too, with there being some really catchy themes from both the Dance Battle and Idol Battle portions. The only thing that's disappointing with the soundtrack may be the fact some tracks got cut (Bloody Moon seems to be absent from the English release) and that some tracks feel a bit ill suited for what they were used. (I woulda switched Kiryu and Akiyama's theme, and Victory Road in particular is really good but it's wasted as it is in the game. As a battle theme, you'll never get to hear the full track in game)
Bloody Moon
Victory Road
The Battle for the Dream
Comin' at ya, my girl
Be the star!!
The place where I used to be
ROUGE OF LOVE, goat edition

3. Bloodborne
Despite not even owning a PS4 or even playing the game, the soundtrack to this game has just blown me away (and I don't even like orchestral stuff normally!). Ludwig the Holy Blade in particular is amazing, and is actually what drew me into the soundtrack (it played in the Old Hunters trailer and I even watched the trailer about a dozen times just to relisten to it at first). While I was never interested in playing Bloodborne, this soundtrack really wants me to try and get into it when I do finally get a PS4.
Ludwig, the Holy Blade
The First Hunter
Living Failures

Honorable Mentions
Touhou Shinpiroku ~ Urban Legend in Limbo
Another Touhou soundtrack. Despite my love of the series, this soundtrack was never an option for my Top 3. It's not terrible, just solid. The decision to let other circles do the character themes for this game is quite interesting (though it's a double edged sword, with character themes being of mixed quality and completely lacking in any cohesion). The problem is tha it's just a step down from Hopeless Masquerade and even Hisoutensoku's soundtracks and despite releasing before Legacy it's still been overshadowed in terms of music. There are still some really good themes (Dichromatic Butterfly and Hartmann's Youkai Girl in particular). And the original battle themes composed by Tasogare Frontier are the best they've been, but as a whole, the overall soundtrack is quite unfocused and weak for a Touhou soundtrack.
Fair Scramble
Bamboo Forest in Flames
Last Occultism ~ Esotericist of the Present World
Battlefield of the Flower Threshold
Reach for the Moon ~ Immortal Smoke by ziki_7
Legend of the Great Gods by Azure&Sands
Hartmann's Youkai Girl by Kishida Kyoudan
Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly ~ Red and White by Butaotome

OreShika: Tainted Bloodlines
Despite not owning this game, I think this is a really solid soundtrack. There are some nice tracks and it's pretty underrated overall. It's kind of a shame, if this were a different year I'd easily put it as 3. But between Yakuza 5's also late arrival (with playing the game and listening to the music taking up all my time recently) and Bloodborne also hitting this year (which is also another soundtrack that I haven't played the game too), OreShika just gets edged out of getting a vote from me.
Dedication Game
Mansion Fall
New Family
Big Sale

Undertale
Yeah there's not much more to say about it that hasn't been said already. It's just really good. My favorites in particular were Another Medium and Megalovania.

Late to the Party Picks
White Knight Chronicles 1/2
Got into this game this year and while I'll save the gameplay breakdown for a different thread, I do want to give some props to the soundtrack, which was suprisingly good (if completely inappropriate, as almost all the tracks are calming/relaxing stuff, even the dungeon music). I'm putting it as one game because 2 really was more like an expansion than a full fledged sequel, with a LOT of music (and content) being reused for 2. The Greid theme and Battlefield Flower (both the instrumental and vocal versions) are real highlights on this soundtrack.
Valandor Castle Town
Craydol Plain
Greid, Capital of Freedom
Fly my Bluebird! (instrumental)
Battlefield Flower (instrumental)

Snk vs Capcom: Chaos
Decided to revisit this game and I just realized how much I really like the music. I thought it was worth a mention
From an Unknown Country
Sacred Ground
Void

DrStruts

Neo Member
1. Bloodborne.
This has been my most listened to album of the year, let alone being my most listened to soundtrack. The compositions and production values of the vanilla soundtrack were just incredible and then we got five more tracks for the DLC that I believe are some of the best pieces of video game music this year. I personally believe that the best video game music comes from the boss fights, so it comes as no surprise that a soundtrack comprised mostly of boss music is my favourite of the year.

The Hunter - Ryan Amon
Blood Starved Beast - Tsukasa Saitoh
The First Hunter - Tsukasa Saitoh
Ludwig, the Holy Blade - Nobuyoshi Suzuki
Laurence, the First Vicar - Tsukasa Saitoh
Living Failures - Nobuyoshi Suzuki

2. Halo 5: Guardians
Considering I'm not the biggest Halo fan and haven't even played this entry, I really did enjoy the music. Like Bloodborne, the production values were absolutely stellar with the entire soundtrack being done with a full orchestra and choir. If you like blockbuster action pieces with some dramatic cues thrown in, I'd recommend giving it a listen.

Blue Team - Kazuma Jinnouchi
The Trials - Kazuma Jinnouchi
Light is Green - Kazuma Jinnouchi

3. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
In stark contrast to my other two choices, Rapture is very calm, soothing music that doesn't contain a single drum or brass instrument. It does, however, contain a lot of singing, but not in the Broadway sense. If you want to listen to music that can help you relax and unwind then Rapture is the score for you.

An Early Harvest - Jessica Curry
Carry Me Back to Her Arms - Jessica Curry
The Pattern Calls Out - Jessica Curry
The End of All Things - Jessica Curry

I think that about covers it. I have to say that I'm very surprised by the amount of nominations for Splatoon's soundtrack. Personally, I find the music to be very grating outside of the game and it makes me wonder if the Nintendo logo, for some people, elevates a soundtrack's status to being great even if it is quite average.

fhqwhgads

1. Undertale
No need to say what's already been repeated. Also have some lesser appreciated picks.
Snowy
Another Medium
MTT Hotel Shop

2. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
A very unappreciated game. I mean yeah the game is simple good and nothing more, but in both visuals and sound the game is outstanding. Not only do you get a ton of great original tunes, but a fantastic number of remixes from previous games to unlock along the way.
Fly to the Exit
Burning Secrets
Studying the Factory (Kirby 64 Remix)

3. Super Mario Maker
A very weird case, not only does the game give some nifty off beat remixes of classic themes for both the menus and the level editing, but even creates brand new 8 bit and 16 bit tracks along with the original soundtrack, and they fit in seamlessly. An amazing feat in itself and just a great soundtrack overall.
Ghost House (Super Mario Bros 3)
Ghost House Edit Theme (Super Mario Bros)
Castle Edit Theme (New Super Mario Bros)

Honourable Mentions (Aka 4th and 5th)
Killer Instinct Season 2
Inferno
Mario and Luigi Paper Jam
Big Bang!

fhqwhgads

Also just checked the 2013 results, the fact that Mario and Luigi Dream Team got no recognition at all is a god damn tragedy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know my votes aren't Nintendo-centric. In fact, I've barely played a Nintendo game all year. And even then, just listening to the soundtracks out of context, I can tell that many of them are quite varied genre-wise. I think they all deserve whatever kudos they get from whomever votes for them. And people voting for them are just a few in many potential voters.

If you really want to make a difference, vote? I can't force you, but making drive-by assertions in a thread that barely ever gets any complaints historically is really strange to make.

Why does the voting only last until January 9th?
Because this thread has historically not gotten as much voter turnout as the game of the year thread, even with vote extensions. Three weeks has usually been sufficient for this thread.

If people truly would like an additional week, I have no qualms about offering one.

1. Undertale : While I thought the game was just "okay," I can't deny how amazing and fitting the soundtrack is. Almost every track is used to perfection and improves the experience exponentially. I know Undertale has already received a lot of love in this thread but I'd be lying to myself if I didn't have it at the top of my list.

2. Ori and the Blind Forest : Ori's soundtrack is absolutely beautiful and it brings life and emotion to the forest of Nibel. It does a fantastic job of setting the mood for all the intense, uplifting and somber moments throughout the game. Aeralie Brighton's vocals are amazing as well.

3. Life is Strange : Like Undertale, Life is Strange's soundtrack is put together masterfully and every track fits each scenario in the game almost perfectly. The use of licensed music is probably the best I've ever heard in a game as well, as it all fits in flawlessly with both the setting and subject matter of the game.

Honorable Mentions

Killer Instinct Season 2 : I put this on my list last year but I wanted to highlight it again because some of the characters released early this year had amazing themes that came along with them. Mick Gordon did a phenomenal job on Killer Instinct and I'm still pretty sad that he isn't returning for season 3.

Fallout 4 : Fallout 4 has what I would describe as a sneakily good soundtrack. When you think of Fallout 4 the soundtrack isn't among the first things you think of but that doesn't stop it from being great.

demidar

XaKVSwx.jpg
1. Undertale
Toby Fox (Bandcamp)
What hasn't been said about this game's soundtrack in this thread? Well let's throw another one on the pile. Undertale's soundtrack is absolutely delightful, it made me pay attention very early into my playthrough; As I first entered The Ruins I was hit with these really strong piano notes, it made quite an impression and it felt bold. There's an air of dusty mystery and curiosity to this track, but no real danger. For me, it mapped both to the literal state of the player character exploring an unknown ruin, and of me who was desperate to understand the circumstances of the player character and the world that I was just dropped into so it immersed me immediately.

Skipping ahead half an hour, the first boss fight really cemented the soundtrack for me as something great. Heartache plays during the Toriel fight, evoking many conflicting emotions due to the combination of the lead-up, who you're fighting, and of course the music itself. It's both sad and rousing, and the 3/4 signature to represented a premature end to me. I didn't catch that the first time around, but thinking back on it I think that's the reason why the fight felt "off". But moving past that, it's not fair that such a bittersweet track is so catchy :/ but it certainly encapsulates determination.

So those are my feelings on two early tracks as it seems like everyone's covered everything else. ASGORE is usually the go-to for the best of the soundtrack and it's great, but it's a little much for everyday listening. I mean I guess it would be great for working out. I much prefer Spider Dance, I find it eminently... listenable? Anyway the entire soundtrack is music gold and something I didn't actually expect when I first played it, back when the buzz wasn't that high. There's a reason why the remix scene is so big. Toby Fox should be proud of himself for making a game that's great on most fronts.

=====

eeEJEtm.jpg
2. Splatoon
Toru Minegishi, Shiho Fujii
It makes sense for a game about fashionable and trendy anthropomorphized sea life to have an equally energetic soundtrack, also played by fashionable and trendy anthropomorphized sea life. It's doubly important for a game as stylish as Splatoon since without sick jams oozing out of every speaker from every part of the world the game would end up as a shallow poseur, but thankfully it nails that part and the world is as lively as it looks, going so far as to inject their own weird language as the vocals to several songs. The only other game that sort of does this is Nier. Even the music that plays in stores has a slight tinny quality to them, making sure nothing escapes this smothering of care and
effort.

The meat of the soundtrack is in the multiplayer battles, where one is randomly selected from a pool of tracks which are mainly rock, but edges into other areas like ska and metal. A later update also added 2 chiptune-based tracks for a little more diversity and 2 rock tracks with an emphasis on piano. Out of these multiplayer tracks, not one of them are bad. The worst track is at least very good. Before I forget, all the "pop" songs by Callie and Marie are pretty good too, especially the one in the single player. Speaking overall in games of the year, there's no soundtrack like this one. You might even call it fresh.

*Tumbleweeds*

...I'll see myself out.

=====

WpssZvK.jpg
3. Crypt of the Necrodancer
Danny Baranowsky (Bandcamp)
A collection of hot bangers from Danny Baranowsky, as is expected. His work on Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac (BoI: Rebirth is good, but in a different way) was mostly great and the rest excellent and Necrodancer is no exception. Because this is also a rhythm game (a very lenient one) on top of being a roguelike, there's a very strong bassline across the entire soundtrack so you can keep track of the beat while being swamped with information. And because it's a roguelike, you'll be listening to the same tracks over and over again, giving it ample time to worm its way into your brain, not that that's a bad thing, mind.

In the game itself, the tracks are laid out quite simply; 4 areas, each with 3 floors and a boss at the end. Each floor has their own individual track that only plays on that floor, and each boss (randomly selected) also has their own theme. I wish every boss had a musical hook though, only two have them if I remember correctly. King Conga--which is my favourite boss theme--makes you skip every 8th beat or risk losing your combo, and Death Metal whose rhythm and beat is super fast so you have to keep up or get desync'd. Besides the boss themes, I'd like to highlight the cool thing Area 3 does; the floor has interweaving fire and ice sections and stepping on to those tiles shifts the current track into either rock/metal or electronica versions respectively. While playing, it's a really neat effect. And speaking of neat effects, the Shopkeeper's baritone voice that accompanies the track when you get close is so good.
I don't know if baritone is the right term, but it sounded good when I wrote it! Just give the version I'll link a listen.

So there it is, it's a good soundtrack and it ties into gameplay. It helps that the game is actually great, but it wouldn't nearly be half the game it is without Danny B.
The other sub-half is all the musical puns and wordplay in the game :V
And finally, if that's not to your taste, the game comes with two alternate remix soundtracks, an EDM one by Alex Esquivel and a heavy metal one by Jules Conroy (FamilyJules7x).

Honourable Mentions
X. Xenoblade Chronicles X
Hiroyuki Sawano
It's good, with only a few standouts, but I find the original Xenoblade to be more up my alley. Also the naming scheme of the tracks is mad stupid.
  • Uncontrollable - So cheesy.
  • Ma-Non Ship Theme - This just pulls from everything doesn't it? Though there is a traditional Japanese music undercurrent, and I think I heard the Oreintal Riff somewhere? You can hear it too, right?
X. Hotline Miami 2
Too many to list
The good: Makes you feel like you're on a drug trip. The Bad: You can't remember the music after said drug trip.
  • Roller Mobster - What a build up. I mainly remember this track because it's stuck on to the two longest levels, The Fan's final level and the Prison Escape.
  • Abyss - Storm's a coming.
X. Metal Gear Solid V
Harry Gregson-Williams, Ludvig Forssell, Justin Burnett, Daniel James
To be honest, I don't remember much from the soundtrack. MGSV was a podcast game to me.
  • Sins of the Father - Also known as "Words that Kill" and "WHOOOOAAA OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH". To be played during uncomfortable jeep rides.
X. Touhou Kanjuden ~ Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom
ZUN
I wouldn't be a Touhou fan if I didn't at least shout out a new release. *Looks at avatar* >_> <_<

Dishonourable Mentions
D. Xenoblade Chronicles X
Hiroyuki Sawano
Why.

Wrapping up my yearly musings...

LTTP Soundtracks

Viva Pinata
This wont have been the first time this year I've mentioned my growing love for this soundtrack between my LttP thread for Trouble in Paradise and Kirkhope appreciation thread formed from Yooka Laylee induced hype but it will be the time where I finally cement that my thoughts on the OST are that it's one of the very best from last generation and up there with Banjo when it comes to Kirkhope's best soundtracks.

It's kind of impressive just how this soundtrack managed to slip under my radar for so long, I mean it's a fully orchestrated Grant Kirkhope soundtrack that spreads itself across two games (sort of three actually when you factor in what few tracks made it to the DS version courtesy of David something or other) and the VP franchise is considered to be one of the few bright spots of Microsoft era Rare.
Yet I've seldom seen it mentioned on GAF, I think a big part of this is due to both its style and implementation in game.

It's not uncommon for your garden work in VP to just be accompanied by the growls and grunts of Pinatas while the music takes a back seat entirely, occasionally music steps in with a variety of day and night themes that otherwise are pretty random in their usage meaning that the tracks don't get much ways to truly define themselves. Indeed while I played the game for a number of hours it would take me listening to the soundtrack a fair amount outside of the game itself to start truly appreciating it.

The inspiration here comes from English composers Edward Elgar and Ralph Vaughan Williams according to Grant himself which is really noticeable when you start looking at all the work together. Effectively I find it lays down a style of classical orchestration that has me waiting to hear David Attenborough start speaking up about the mating rituals of Buzzlegums as I tend to the garden so reminding me of BBC nature documentaries is actually no bad thing considering the game itself.

Though the OST comes in a pretty basic selection of flavours which could be summed up as Day and Night themes for Garden/Snow/Desert respectively it's grown on me a ton, despite it initially all seeming a bit samey I can now tell each track apart quite easily.
There's also still the ever present Kirkhope stylings lurking within, I swear one of the desert themes straight up steps into DK64's Angry Aztec for a short segment.

Anyway I always tend to go for the safe choices of Oven Fresh Day and Bedtime Story with this soundtrack so for varieties sake here's two Wintry themes to fit January of this new year.
Icicle Chorus for those chilly mornings and Snowy Blankets for cosying up at night.

Freedom Planet
While Freedom Planet managed to blast its way into my 2014 GotY list at the last second the soundtrack wasn't quite so lucky as I'd already cast my vote by that point if I recall.
It would've been a strong contender for my third spot in a year of great music which is saying something, so I'll give it its due here and now.

An OST of fast and fun themes with the sound of an console era long past and a dash of oriental elements at points as well to fit its aesthetics.
And it's boss theme totally starts of like Cornered from Ace Attorney which is pumping stuff.
Stage themes in freedom planet clearly draw some inspiration from Sonic 3 & Knuckles in how stages shift style somewhat at the halfway point with the music taking a twist on the melody that defined its first half.

Call me a sucker for a good main theme but the one for Freedom Planet really grew on me over time, it's incredibly energetic.
Aqua Tunnel 2 is like how I'd imagine Sega would try to pull off Sonic Adventure 2 style Knuckles stage themes on hardware that wouldn't be able to effectively detail nonsense lyrics about Death Chambers and Pumpkin dominated hills.
Final Dreadnought 1 is basically like things going all a bit Mega Man/Mega Man X for the final 4 level gauntlet with an intense yet empowering track to herald your arrival at the final hurdles.

Any gee whiz we've got a sequel incoming with more music, some of which I think is being done by this Falk guy, whoever that is.

Demon's Crest
Gothic goodness with that distinctly SNES attempt at orchestrated style music that I just dig so much, yeah this landed well with me.
Metropolis of Ruin is the game's most immediately catchy track in my mind, could pass for an intro level to a Castlevania title.
Palace of Decadence, witness the power of 16 bit organs.

Best of the rest
Because sometimes even if i'm not giving a whole soundtrack the writeup works there's single tracks that I like to give shout outs to.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Battle/Ancestral Steppe

I prefer MH3's tremble of the sea and land for standard battle theme but I can't deny that opening for this one which combines the LETS DO THIS mentality of the player with the AWWW SHIT mentality of encountering the roaming beast itself.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Oblivia (night)
Safe to say I found the Sawano experiment rather hit and miss so I find the OST a noticeable step down from the first Xenoblade, even so I can't deny that when the music here works it does so quite wonderfully.
The dusty plains of Oblivia have this surprisingly chill theme going for night time, it's pretty grand.

Splatoon: Sucker Punch

Splatoon is one of those cases where I found the soundtrack improved by the tracks that came later, I pretty much like all of the vs themes that came in the second wave better than the original set, raised my opinion of the rather quirky soundtrack.

Super Mario Maker: SMB1 Ghost House (create mode version)
New Koji Kondo tracks for SMB1...in 2016, what a crazy world we live in.

Witcher 3: Outskirts of Novigrad
I'll have to thank this thread for pointing me towards this seeing as I couldn't find it in the OST, this is quite similar to the Viva Pinata situation for me in that both...
1) I'll probably like this even more when I take the time to really dig into it outside the game
2) that the OST is incomplete!

As for what lies ahead for 2016, I can only hope this makes it out

1. Undertale - I think everyone's sung the virtues of this already in this thread, but it's worth the applause. It's staggeringly diverse and is integrated so well into every individual moment in the game, almost every character and moment seem to have their own leitmotif, atmosphere, melodic phrase. It can be stunningly beautiful when it wants to be, goofy and ridiculous when it wants to be, intense when it wants to be. I can't think of another game that so tightly melds its soundtrack with what is on screen and yet is so diverse at the same time. Also has the best hotel ambient music of anything ever. Some of my favourite cuts:
Waterfall
Spider Dance
Death By Glamour
Undertale
Your Best Nightmare
Dogsong

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Fantastic mix of the sort of swelling orchestral soundtrack that you might find in most western fantasy RPGs and a range of instrumental and vocal ideas from traditional eastern european folk music, which gives it a really unique flavour that mirrors what makes The Witcher's world unique from many other fantasy worlds, too. Fantastic percussion in particular. The Skellige ambient music is just incredible.
Hunt or Be Hunted
The Fields of Ard Skellig
Silver for Monsters

3. Assassin's Creed Syndicate - I haven't actually played this yet, but I've been listening to quite a bit of the soundtrack. Another great string-led orchestral OST from Austin Wintory, it's got so much fantastic violin playing on it and really fits the atmosphere and intensity of the game's world, from what I've seen. Up there with 2 as my favourite AC soundtracks.
Waltzing on Rooftops and Cobblestones
The Dance Begins

Also shoutout to Hotline Miami 2. Like a lot of things with this game, I didn't like the soundtrack nearly as much as the first game's, it's leans too hard into the Kavinsky/synthwave thing and less into the mix of lo-fi psychedelia and thumping, repetitive techno and house that the first game had, but it's still good enough to be worth mentioning.

zashga

7CzVEA3.png
sA6Uj9h.png
tTjNj5r.png
5iM0z4u.png
8XTVIJb.png
txuDvPE.png

1. Crypt of the Necrodancer

I waited a whole year to vote for this one, and it turned out to be my favorite soundtrack all year. Danny B is the man; I love his style. And he keeps getting better! Appropriately, this OST has a lot of dance tracks. It's also got surprising variety, with different zones and bosses getting wildly different styles and personality. I'd have a hard time picking out a track I dislike; even the tutorial gets badass musical backing. And let's not forget about this guy:

n8h8jkn.jpg

I love this guy.

The cherry on top is of course that there are actually three soundtracks, not just one. Almost every song in the game has two excellent arrangements from A_Rival and FamilyJules7x in their signature electronic and metal styles, respectively. You can play the game with whatever version of the soundtrack you want; there isn't a bad choice to be made. The overall package is just amazing. Definitely my favorite game soundtrack of 2015.

2. Undertale

This one surprised me. Like most people, Undertale wasn't even on my radar until it came out and blew everyone away. There's a lot to be said about why this game is so amazing, but the only thing that's relevant here is the music. It's a great, chippy soundtrack that harkens back to retro JRPGs, with memorable area and character themes. There's a lot of hummable tunes, which I always enjoy, but it also makes effective use of ambience and even silence where appropriate. Taken as a whole, Undertale's soundtrack is a crucial part of what makes the game so special.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X

While it's a big departure from its predecessor, the Xenoblade X soundtrack is great in its own right. The move to a single composer (who wasn't involved with the first game at all) gives this one a very different style. It's difficult to call it a unified style, though, since the different areas and scenes have wildly different musical backing. It's an eclectic mix of orchestral and hip hop styles that (regardless of what else you might think) never gets boring. There's a lot to like here; the grandiose outdoor themes in particular are favorites of mine.

x. Bloodborne

It's basically another Souls game soundtrack. Not that that's bad; it's actually excellent. Still, you know what to expect: a lot of grandiose boss themes, with a few slower, melancholic themes for the more tragic confrontations. Like I said: it's high quality stuff.

x. Super Mario Maker

This one was surprising to me. In addition to the classic, untouched Mario tracks, we also got a few excellent original compositions (including a nice track for the title screen) to fill the "gaps" in the level tilesets, like the new SMB1 ghost house or airship themes. However, the compositions I most appreciated were the edit mode tracks, which are basically lounge-style arrangements of classic Mario tunes with the melody supplied by whimsical samples that play whenever you place a block or enemy. The overall effect is fun and kind of mesmerizing in its own way. Like much of the rest of Mario Maker, it's more clever and charming than it needs to be.

x. Splatoon

Splatoon's soundtrack goes a long way toward selling its bubbly, stylish setting. Listening to this odd combination of synths, drums, sound effects, and nonsense vocaloids, it's hard not to be swept along to Inkopolis.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Looking at my list, my big theme this year is "games that either heavily use remixes and licensed music or that the West got way too late". Still, even with that I liked enough stuff to do a proper vote instead of the "LTTP" only vote I did last year. I guess my LTTP vote this year would have been a proper vote last year, but I'm always behind on most games, especially RPGs. So with that out of the way, here's my rather unremarkable vote for this year, accompanied by some random thoughts that sometimes have something to do with music:

1) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - Second Chapter

Composed by Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita

I didn't even like the music of the first Trails in the Sky very much, back when I first played it in 2011. But now, 4 years later, when I played the second game, I loved all of the music, even though a lot of the tracks are taken directly from the first game. Though, I have to admit, since I didn't replay the first game in between, I wasn't even all that sure what was new and what wasn't. I was sure the main battle theme was the same between both games until someone pointed out to me it was all new and I compared them on YouTube. They are actually pretty different, so I guess my brain is starting to get all mushy. Anyway, the tracks listed below are all on the OST album for Trails in the Sky SC, so they should be all new barring a few arrangments here and there.

Strepitoso Fight
Dancing With the Wind (SC Version)
Obstructive Existence
Looking Up at the Sky
Visions
Enormous Fight
Heartless Surprise Attack
Looming Threat
Whereabouts of the Stars Instrumental Ver.
The Enforcers
Fateful Confrontation
Floating City 'Liber-Ark'
A Gravestone Struck by Lightning
Outskirts of Evolution
The Merciless Savior

2) Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush
N05r3nj.png

Composed by Shogo Sakai, Megumi Ohara

It's not only the cutest game of the year (in a year with many cute games), it also has a pretty nice soundtrack. The music does a good job of underlining the happy, adventure-y feel of the game and gladly ignores the part where you're struggling to draw a good line. There are quite a lot of remixes of older tunes as well, though I don't remember if those actually appear during gameplay or were just unlocked for the music room. It's a great music room, by the way, it's where the picture is from. As so often, Nintendo doesn't seem to believe in releasing an OST album.

Crossing the Sands
The Long-Lost Ruins
Dethskullk Jam
The Wild Red Yonder and its remix Fly to the Exit!
Beware of the Forest Fungus
Watch Out for That Sloth
Wonder Space Warped
Coo's Theme (Kirby's Dreamland 2)
Butter Building (Kirby's Adventure)

3) Life is Strange

Composed by Jonathan Morali (+ various licensed music)

Yeah, half of it is licensed music, which is why I wanted to put it on the list of honorable mentions at first, but then again the game uses this music so well, it deserves a proper vote. It's hard to show context in a post like this and I certainly don't want to link videos that spoil any of the moments of the game, so you just have to trust me (don't ever do that!) and everyone else that already voted for the game in here on this. Give the game a chance when the retail edition releases this month, it comes with the OST (which on the other hand means it's rather hard to find the non-licensed music of the game on YouTube and the tracks don't have a official names yet)!

Main Menu Theme
Episode 1 - Track 7
Episode 2 - Track 4
Episode 5 - Track 3
Amanda Palmer - In My Mind
Syd Matters - To All Of You
Bright Eyes - Lua
Syd Matters - Obstacles

x) The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Composed by Marcin Przyby&#322;owicz, Mikolai Stroinski, Percival Schuttenbach, Adam Skorupa, Pawe&#322; B&#322;aszczak

They nail that mix between medieval times and fantasy quite well with this soundtrack. What really stood out to me and made it earn a place on the list was the music in Skellige. I kinda remember a bit more music than I found on YouTube just by looking for the OST, but this will have to do.

Commanding the Fury
Forged in Fire
The Fields of Ard Skellig
Merchants of Novigrad

x) Brandish: The Dark Revenant

Composed by Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Mieko Ishikawa, Atsushi Shirakawa

That 2015 (in the West...) Falcom game everyone seems to have forgotten. Given the nature of this game, the soundtrack consists mostly of dungeon and battle themes. But this is Falcom, so those battle themes are kick-ass battle themes and the dungeon themes are pretty nice, too.

Opening
Ruins
Tower
Headless
Dearthwidow
Fortress

x) 3D Out Run

Composed by Hiro, Yasuhiro Takagi, Manabu Namiki, Jaelyn Nisperos

It's only two new tracks added to this classic soundtracks, which is also the main reason this only made it in as an honorable mention, but it's still very much worth a nomination for just these two. Not only are both pretty great, they also managed to perfectly fit the musical style of an almost 30 year old game. You can kinda hear there's a bit more going on, so they feel slightly newer, but if you don't listen too closely, you probably won't notice they weren't even part of the original game.

The two new tracks:
Camino a Mi Amor by Jaelyn Nisperos
Cruising Line by Manabu Namiki

And for anyone crazy that really never heard any of the original tunes, some more classics:

Magical Sound Shower
Splash Wave
Last Wave

LTTP) Bravely Default

Composed by Revo

Actually, even if this is my LTTP vote, I'm still not finished with this game. I'm about 15-20 hours in, but I already can tell that this would be pretty strong competition for Trails in the Sky SC had it been released in 2015. I'm happy to see it reached 6th place in last year's GAF vote. Anyway, I'll try to limit this to songs I already heard in the game, partly because it's easier to judge its impact in the game that way and mostly because I don't want to spoil myself too much on music that's yet to come. It has these folk influences that kinda remind of the music in the Atelier games and some of the more rock tracks remind me of Ys. Needless to say that this (so far) is one of my favorite soundtracks of this gen. Going through the OST (until it reached a point I hadn't reached in the game) made me realize I love more or less every song of this. I had a really hard time limiting the examples I wanted to give, but let me at least say, I especially love some of the tracks that play while your special attack is active. It also has my favorite victory fanfare in a long, long time. This all got me pretty hyped about the second game as well, until I heard they switched composers. It's gonna be a Xenoblade X situation all over again, isn' it? Oh well, no more weird writing, here are some of my favorite tracks:

Land of Beginnings
Victory's Delight
Beneath the Hollow Moon
That Person's Name
Infiltrating Hostile Territory
You are My Hope
Baby Bird
Love's Vagrant

Okay, I couldn't cut more than that.

And one other mention that sadly I can't vote for since Bravely Default is taking its "LTTP" spot, but that doesn't mean I can't at least write a little bit about it:

-) Atelier Ayesha

Composed by Daisuke Achiwa, Kazuki Yanagawa, Yu Shimoda

I'm always hopelessly behind on this series. I usually love the soundtracks, so expect an "LTTP" vote for Atelier Escha & Logy or, if I get really quick, for Atelier Shallie next year. I especially loved Ayesha's intro music (and the intro video itself, too!). Usually it's the battle tracks I like the most in Atelier, but Ayesha has some really standout environment and event tracks.

Hanashirube (video)
Guidance
Sleeping Earth
Invitation Flower ~ Spring
Sylpheed
If You Walk Down Main Street
Yesterday's Opponents are Today's Ingredients
Glass Cotton Flower

And finally, some nice tracks from other games:

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - Divine Fire
Her Story - Dreadful Wind and Rain (not exactly a new song, but it was still nice to discover it within the game)
Legend of Legacy - Initium
Pokémon Shuffle - Stage BGM: Hard
Super Mario Maker - Create: Super Mario World - Airship Theme
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Noctilum Field Theme
Yoshi's Woolly World - Bounceabout Woods

And thanks to Dark Schala for putting in all the hard work to make this thread possible, including all the work she forgot to save!

megalowho

2015 had a lot to live up to after 2014's onslaught of great game music, but there were still a handful of soundtracks and songs that really resonated with me throughout the year. Special mention to Persona 4: Dancing All Night, Bloodborne, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Ori and the Blind Forest, Rocket League, Hotline Miami 2, The Witcher III and Metal Gear Solid V, all of which I enjoyed along with the selections below.

yii6vhC.jpg

1. Undertale
Toby Fox
Like the game itself, the soundtrack to Undertale grew on me over time until I was eventually floored by the creativity and scope it presents. What starts as pleasing bursts of 16-bit era JRPG nostalgia becomes a sprawling, cohesive work with carefully laid out leitmotifs and melodies that interconnect and reinforce the many musical themes at play, culminating in goosebump inducing moments both large and small. It's a collection that adds considerably to the shifting emotional tones the game employs, from jokes to warmth to horror, especially considering how stark the visual experience is. Both the soundtrack that hit me the hardest in game and the one that's occupied my thoughts outside the most.

8G9VYGA.jpg

2. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood
Various
When I checked my Spotify end of the year stats, it told me Wonky was one of my favorite genres. I still don't really know what that means but I blame OlliOlli 2. It builds upon the excellent curated soundtrack of the first game with shimmering, glitchy electronic grooves and blissful west coast vibes that are a perfect match for the gameplay loop and constantly had me looking up what I was hearing so I could find more of it.

CPVaibI.jpg

3. Splatoon
Toru Minegishi, Shiho Fujii
My first impression of the Splatoon soundtrack was that the squiddy J-Pop and 90's Nickelodeon Rock aesthetic it employs fits, but man, was it weird. The more I played the more I started to speak the language the composers were coming from, the synergy between the music and the look and feel of the game was palpable and by the time I started gathering tracks for an end of the year playlist I was all in. The most original sound of 2015, complete with in game musical lore and solid new selections added to the rotation over time.

Honorable Mentions:

x. Yoshi's Woolly World
Tomoya Tomita, Misaki Asada
x. Galak-Z: The Dimensional
scntnc
x. SUPERBEAT XONiC
Various
x. Read Only Memories
2 Mello
And a few more highlights from memorable soundtracks:

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am going to honour a few requests to extend voting by a week. So I guess that be the week of the 16th?

I just need to poke a mod to change the title for me!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I am going to honour a few requests to extend voting by a week. So I guess that be the week of the 16th?

I just need to poke a mod to change the title for me!

Just when I finally decide to submit my vote. Maybe I can still finish a game or two until the deadline then.

I actually purchased the OST for three games this year (two of which had to be imported). No surprise that those are my three picks. It is really difficult to chose the order for them since they all have such different approaches

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I probably like this soundtrack much more than I should, with all of its nonsensical lyrics, but I have really enjoyed it and after 90 hours have not yet got tired of any of the songs.
Uncontrollable
Don't Worry
The key we've lost

2. Bloodborne ; I really like soundtracks with a kind of "choir-like" (can't think of what the actual term is) feel to them, and Bloodborne delivers that with many of its themes.
Cleric Beast
The One Reborn
Moonlit Melody

3. Splatoon ; From the first trailer, I liked the style that Splatoon was aiming for and the music fit it perfectly.
Squid Sisters Song (Final Boss Theme Part 2)
Maritime Memory (Credits Theme)
Inkopolis Evolution

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it OK if I'm lazy and just do a list? I just saw this thread and my votes have already been talked about in detail lol...

1. Bloodborne
2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
3. The Witcher 3

Honourable mentions:
Ori and the Blind Forest
Trails of Cold Steel
Dragon Quest Heroes

LTTP:
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Top Bottom