• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

mollipen

If I had my way, every single DS side label would be black text on a white background. I've always hated stylized spines.

Jinto

I was looking around for a DSi/3DS charger to use with my New 3DS and I stumbled upon this:

11EABBi.jpg

It's only been used a couple of times, and looks brand new. I got it for really cheap too. Plus, registering the serial number gave me an extended 90 day warranty. As an added bonus, linking the DSi to my account gave me 100 coins. :D

I already have 2 DS Lites, but I've never owned a DSi before. I haven't had much time to play around with it besides the initial set up.

I'll probably post the rest of my DS collection later.

Havoc2049

Guys, is Sands of Destruction worth picking up? I think I read somewhere it was a decent game, can´t remember where though.

I actually bought Sands of Destruction (SoD) the day it came out, but I just FINALLY started to play through it a few days ago. I'm about six hours into SoD and I'm really enjoying it. It's a solid 8/10 JRPG in my opinion, with an interesting and unique story, fairly deep combat system and the production values are pretty high. I'm surprised how much voice acting there is in SoD.

I miss the old Sega.

Just purchased Final Fantasy Tactics A2, I remember loving the first one but never got around to playing this one. I'm looking to grab Radiant Historia next I think.

I actually bought Sands of Destruction (SoD) the day it came out, but I just FINALLY started to play through it a few days ago. I'm about six hours into SoD and I'm really enjoying it. It's a solid 8/10 JRPG in my opinion, with an interesting and unique story, fairly deep combat system and the production values are pretty high. I'm surprised how much voice acting there is in SoD.

I miss the old Sega.

Thanks for the input mate, it´s still in my "to buy" list, haven´t picked up any games for the DS recently aside from one called "Theresia". Supposedly it´s a decent horror/mistery published by Aksys, thought it was worth a try as it´s not really expensive on ebay.

Sad part is I haven´t received the game yet, won a sealed copy for cheap from some dude in Canada, like 3-4 weeks ago. Now, I´m not sure if it´s lost in transit or the guy decided to keep it instead of selling it for cheap, so I haven´t opened a case yet.

Will probably have to do it this week though, I sent a message to the seller last week and no reply up until now. Curious, to say the least, as he sent me a message the week before about feedback.

Anyway, hopefully it will show up today or tomorrow so I can have my game and post his feedback, maybe it´s just the postal service being awful.

entremet

CIB Heart Gold is super crazy right now :(

I already have SS, but I wanna complete the series.

I remember only seeing SS for years only. Was HG the less popular version?

CIB Heart Gold is super crazy right now :(

I already have SS, but I wanna complete the series.

I remember only seeing SS for years only. Was HG the less popular version?
Probably. I saw the thread on here calling it Superior Silver or whatever.

I got mine in the gamestop sale a few years ago for $25 new. Can't beat that when these titles seem to retain their values as well as they do.

Yeah the right time to buy any Pokemon game is when it dips to around $30 new. Lately they've all been skyrocketing since then; HG/SS is just the most extreme example of this. Once Nintendo stops restocking price jumps bigtime.

I bought Black 2 even though I wasn't so keen on it for this reason. Looks like it's already started to climb.

I notice Nintendo is successful in keeping the perceived value of their games high. It guarantees folks buy new instead of waiting too long, which is best for their bottom line.

It's not so great for my wallet, but I've been justifying buying nearly all Nintendo games brand new on the basis that they don't go down in price. Whenever I hold out I just get disappointed; I've been waiting for a sale on the digital or physical copy of New Super Luigi U for almost 2 years now. :(

I've got the chance to purchase a 2010 Pokemon World Championship DSi XL. This one to be exact:

The price is $350 + shipping. It does not include the box/manuals/etc, but it is in N/M condition. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? I've always wanted one, but that is a heck of a lot of money. There should only be about ~80 of them in existence though.

I've got the chance to purchase a 2010 Pokemon World Championship DSi XL. This one to be exact:

The price is $350 + shipping. It does not include the box/manuals/etc, but it is in N/M condition. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? I've always wanted one, but that is a heck of a lot of money. There should only be about ~80 of them in existence though.

If you really want one and there's only 80 in existence it'll be way more expensive in the future.

The other one I missed back when it released and it's now over $100 which is the Umihara Kawase collection.
Game is incredible, I really want it! :(

107266_front.jpg

I see a few on eBay for $50-$60 complete now.

Seems like the price imploded in wake of the news that the Vita port of Sayonara also includes the SFC Umihara Kawase.

Just giving you the heads up!

Mzo

Yeah, I noticed the price drop around Decenber. Got myself and my friend Finch a copy.

As a big fan who has logged in quite a few hours on the originals: the ports are fantastic.

I went to a GameStop right outside of town that still keeps cases for their DS games and found a complete copy of Avalon Code for $13. Gonna be watching this store like a hawk haha.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I'd want the box and manuals of any LE personally.

Man thats nice. I didn't even know such a thing existed :p

Were the Pure White JPN models of the original DS really prone to yellowing?
Or is the top supposed to be off-white / a shade darker than the bottom of the unit?

I think it may be intentional as the top has a different finish to the bottom, but I'm not sure...

Finally got the two Kirby DS games I was after (I already have Mass Attack):

Kirby%20DS%20games_zpsgxaetaju.jpg

These aren't counterfeits or anything, but for some reason the Superstar Ultra cart makes a noise when you shake it. As if something is loose inside. I've never had any DS games do this. Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks.

Impotaku

Yeah don't worry it's normal. Sometimes when they cut the boards theres a bit of variation in the size of them when they snap them into the outer shells they rattle slightly, i have loads in my collection that rattle like that, you don't have a defective one.

Yeah don't worry it's normal. Sometimes when they cut the boards theres a bit of variation in the size of them when they snap them into the outer shells they rattle slightly, i have loads in my collection that rattle like that, you don't have a defective one.
Ah, ok. That's good to know. Thanks.

If I had my way, every single DS side label would be black text on a white background. I've always hated stylized spines.

I agree, for the sake of organization. Though it does give each game its own identity right off the bat instead of having to pluck it out. lol

Made some slight edits to the OP to include the fact that the new 3DS and new XLs can play still play DS games :)

people were doubting it? Hmm... well, after the 2011 Wii debacle, I guess it's understandable.

Bought a used DS Lite for I think $40 a few months ago, finally went to play it yesterday and it won't recognise games. Both DS and GBA don't show up. Turned it on and off, blew in it and still broke.

Guess I'll buy another one :\

Impotaku

Dont give up just yet, try inserting and removing a cart lots of times to get the pins to rub the contacts a lot, sometimes if it hasn't been played in a while you get oxidisation on the pins of both the carts and the contacts in the DS. Try inserting and removing 20 times without the power on then try booting it again.

daydream

Banned
Three new (cheap) additions to my collection:

100 Classic Book Collection (the German selection is actually quite decent), New International Track & Field, Star Fox Command

I'm also close to pulling the trigger on a (pricy) copy of Okamiden. Just want to put that chapter to rest, haha.

Mzo

Did Okamiden go back up? It spiked when it went OOP and then plummeted after a reprint so I picked it up then.

Dont give up just yet, try inserting and removing a cart lots of times to get the pins to rub the contacts a lot, sometimes if it hasn't been played in a while you get oxidisation on the pins of both the carts and the contacts in the DS. Try inserting and removing 20 times without the power on then try booting it again.

Did it 20-25 times and nothing.

It's dead :(

I recently bought Rhythm Heaven, Pheonix Wright, Hotel Dusk, Another Code, Dragon Quest IV, 999 and TWEWY and I want to play them. I could play them on 3DS but I'd rather have the proper resolution.

Time to buy another DS Lite, or maybe a DSi?

Looked around a bargain bin at a local store today and picked these up for just a hair above $20 AUD apiece. Pretty happy with that.

VHhOMUZ.jpg

Haven't really been 'collecting' DS games as such, but I had not seen either game at a store for years so I just took the opportunity.

Pachimari

I'll try find a Nintendo DS again soon. I'm not sure if I should go for the Phat for nostalgia (that's the one I had years ago) or go for a DSi.

And games I'm looking at are Dragon Quest IX, Okamiden, Super Mario 64 DS, Meteos, Pokémon Heart Gold, Pokémon Platinum, Hotel Dusk, 999, Picross DS, The World Ends With You, Elite Beat Agents, Final Fantasy XII: spinoff. Are any of Nintendo's IP's worth getting for the platform? Or are they worse than the versions we have gotten this generation?

I did find Project Rub and Viewtiful Joe this week but decided against it.

I'll try find a Nintendo DS again soon. I'm not sure if I should go for the Phat for nostalgia (that's the one I had years ago) or go for a DSi.

And games I'm looking at are Dragon Quest IX, Okamiden, Super Mario 64 DS, Meteos, Pokémon Heart Gold, Pokémon Platinum, Hotel Dusk, 999, Picross DS, The World Ends With You, Elite Beat Agents, Final Fantasy XII: spinoff. Are any of Nintendo's IP's worth getting for the platform? Or are they worse than the versions we have gotten this generation?

I did find Project Rub and Viewtiful Joe this week but decided against it.
Go for. DSi. The backlit screen is so much better.

Kaibutsu

These aren't counterfeits or anything, but for some reason the Superstar Ultra cart makes a noise when you shake it. As if something is loose inside. I've never had any DS games do this. Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks.

I was going through my collection this past weekend and noticed that I didn't have Squeak Squad or Super Star Ultra... I could have sworn I owned both of those. I guess that's what happens when you have too many games to keep track of. Now I need to go and find these two holes in my collection. Anyone want to sell them to me? :)

Thanks.

Yeah a couple of my DS carts do the same.

I was going through my collection this past weekend and noticed that I didn't have Squeak Squad or Super Star Ultra... I could have sworn I owned both of those. I guess that's what happens when you have too many games to keep track of. Now I need to go and find these two holes in my collection. Anyone want to sell them to me? :)
Thankfully these games aren't too expensive on eBay. I think I got them for less than $20 each.

I really need to start documenting my games, too. I have probably somewhere in the region of 20+ GBA games and 50+ 3/DS games.

Bar81

Thankfully these games aren't too expensive on eBay. I think I got them for less than $20 each.

I really need to start documenting my games, too. I have probably somewhere in the region of 20+ GBA games and 50+ 3/DS games.

You're already losing track. that's nothing. In any case there are a bunch of sites that can help - I use gametz.com

dcx4610

Getting the New 3DS has made me want to go back and check out some DS games I had missed.

I have a fairly small collection currently but I have played and finished all of them. Other than my list below, does anyone have any recommendations on some must-play games or at least a few that are worth playing?

I have:
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Contra 4
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Mario Kart DS
Nanostray
New Super Mario Bros.
Tetris DS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife

If you enjoyed Hotel Dusk there's direct sequel called Last Window: The Secret of Cape West which I definitely recommend.
I preferred it to Hotel Dusk in fact, though it was only released in Europe.

Kaibutsu

Went a little DS crazy over the weekend to fill a few holes in my collection. I will update this with pictures when they all come in but I picked up Dragon Ball Origins, Phantasy Star 0, Kirby Super Star Ultra & Kirby Squeak Squad from ebay. All complete and all for good prices. I can't think of anything else I need to get for my collection now.

Top Bottom