• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

neist

Neo Member
I've been a long time lurker here, and this thread inspired to actually post. I'm one of those eccentric collectors that pops up in 10 years and has a garage full of games. Anywho, here's a rather dated picture of my collection (I keep them in tubs, don't have room for display):

Those pictures are probably short a few dozen games. I have 262 copies of 256 unique titles, and the collection has hit a steady equilibrium. I've gotten pretty much everything I want, short of maybe a dozen games or so. I tend to only collect what I'd want to play, and while there's plenty of good games I do not own, I already own those games on other platforms or they simply don't mesh with my interests. :)

I'm quite glad to see a thread like this pop up. The DS' library was in a fantastic period exactly before the proliferation of mobile gaming (i.e., phone gaming). I almost consider this period a golden era. Tons of zany concepts that might be considered insane in the current market tested the boundaries of what was commercially viable. Unfortunately, a lot of these games simply go to phones now.

One of my favorite games by far is Pic-Pic. It's a puzzle game developed by Success that never came to NA. You can find English-Language copies occasionally online, but they usually aren't cheap.

Well, I'm beginning to ramble a bit, so I'll cut off here, but it's always comforting being amidst like-minded individuals.

peronmls

9lMZCjk.jpg

Oh yeah, my DSi XL arrived the other day and it is glorious! I love the jumbo stylus as well, so comfortable to use.

Playing 999 atm, and will move onto Kirby Canvas Curse next, with Dragon Quest IV (and V, VI and IX), TWEWY, Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, Another Code, and Rhythm Heaven to come.

Such a great little system.

Chopper

I've been a long time lurker here, and this thread inspired to actually post. I'm one of those eccentric collectors that pops up in 10 years and has a garage full of games. Anywho, here's a rather dated picture of my collection (I keep them in tubs, don't have room for display):

Those pictures are probably short a few dozen games. I have 262 copies of 256 unique titles, and the collection has hit a steady equilibrium. I've gotten pretty much everything I want, short of maybe a dozen games or so. I tend to only collect what I'd want to play, and while there's plenty of good games I do not own, I already own those games on other platforms or they simply don't mesh with my interests. :)

I'm quite glad to see a thread like this pop up. The DS' library was in a fantastic period exactly before the proliferation of mobile gaming (i.e., phone gaming). I almost consider this period a golden era. Tons of zany concepts that might be considered insane in the current market tested the boundaries of what was commercially viable. Unfortunately, a lot of these games simply go to phones now.

One of my favorite games by far is Pic-Pic. It's a puzzle game developed by Success that never came to NA. You can find English-Language copies occasionally online, but they usually aren't cheap.

Well, I'm beginning to ramble a bit, so I'll cut off here, but it's always comforting being amidst like-minded individuals.
Nice. Always good to see a Pic-Pic shout out!

My copy cost me about £30 4 years ago. Took me forever to find a copy.

neist

Neo Member
Awesome collection! I'd love to see close-up shots of the titles. :)

Sure! But you'll have to manage with low-ish quality photos. All I have is a camera phone! Also, ignore some of the, *ahem*, less than decent titles in there. A few of my games were nabbed in bundles, so I was stuck with some unsavory games that I doubt I'll ever sell. Eh well.

Also, a few of my prized tidbits.

One of two of my Diamond Trust of London LE copies (this one sealed)

And here's some art done by Arkedo on the back of my cover art for Big Big Mini and Nervous Brickdown. To this day, they are(were?) probably my favorite indie developers, and both of those games are definitely among my favorites.

Nice. Always good to see a Pic-Pic shout out!
My copy cost me about £30 4 years ago. Took me forever to find a copy.

I got really lucky with mine. I was obsessively checking UK eBay for a copy years ago. I found a seller who hadn't listed the option of shipping to the US but was convinced to do so after making contact. Pretty sure I paid under £10. Yipee!

Koppai

Was reminded of the existence of Lost Magic the other day. Wish I wasnt so packed with games already, would also pick up Sands of Destruction. There's also that one game I forgot the name of that got a reprint an RPG.

Edit: Radiant Historia

I still have quite a few games to get for my collection x.x

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I have a pretty big DS collection (more than 100 games... I should post pics soon!) and I've been lurking this thread for a while... The DS is such a great console.

I consider my collection mostly complete, but I'm still looking to discover oddities or good imports. I already imported Last Window and Tingle from Europe, and Ouendan 1-2 from Japan. Any other recommendations?

Also, how are Feel the Magic and Rub Rabbit? They look like the typical early DS touch minigame compilation, but are they still worth playing for the weirdness / quirkiness?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Pic-Pic I've never heard of before today. Looks fun, I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy!

If any of you guys are interested I currently have a legit CIB shiny *NEW* copy of PicPic to trade :)

Looking for Rocket Slime.
Maybe also Ouendan, Mario 64 DS, Super Princess Peach, Last Window, Jump Ultimate Super Stars, Tetris DS.

I can also throw in Space Invaders Extreme (usa) as a gift because I have multiple complete copies and I always want to spread the love :)

daydream

Banned
Dash, thanks so much! Because of your post, I checked Amazon DE (which I've been periodically checking) for a copy of Pic Pic and there was a single new copy for 30€ available!

It's in Italian but that's a-ok with me.

..Wait, you're not the seller, are you? :p

(Funny that you have the USK copy and I'm getting an Italian one.)

TheMoon

Dash, thanks so much! Because of your post, I checked Amazon DE (which I've been periodically checking) for a copy of Pic Pic and there was a single new copy for 30€ available!

Note that he has a PAN European copy with both a USK and PEGI logo. The thing you do if you have just one SKU. (Or at least just one SKU for DE, AT, CH)

daydream

Banned
Note that he has a PAN European copy with both a USK and PEGI logo. The thing you do if you have just one SKU. (Or at least just one SKU for DE, AT, CH)

Oh, interesting. At least it's the small USK logo so Austrians and Swiss can't be too annoyed by it. :p

neist

Neo Member
I have a pretty big DS collection (more than 100 games... I should post pics soon!) and I've been lurking this thread for a while... The DS is such a great console.

I consider my collection mostly complete, but I'm still looking to discover oddities or good imports. I already imported Last Window and Tingle from Europe, and Ouendan 1-2 from Japan. Any other recommendations?

Also, how are Feel the Magic and Rub Rabbit? They look like the typical early DS touch minigame compilation, but are they still worth playing for the weirdness / quirkiness?

If you're looking for oddities, you might try:
  • Eco Creatures: Sort of a Pikmin-esque strategy game. Came to North America, but Japan got a sequel.
  • Kururin Doughnuts: It's a Japanese import where you play as a rolling donut. Very strange, but quirky!
  • My World My Way: Atlus-released RPG where you play as a spoiled princess. Quite unique. You can do things like pout, which alters the game in beneficial ways.
  • Princess Debut: A rhythm otome game that came to the US. Crazy! Also developed by Cave.
  • Tank Beat: Developed by Milestone (of Radirgy fame, et al.) A tank game where you draw a line on the bottom screen to layout the path of your tank. Unique concept. Proabbly wasn't implemented as well as it could have been, but I enjoyed it. Sequel also came to the US, but as "Heavy Armor Brigade" under another publisher.
  • Bomberman 2 and Bomberman Story: Two Bomberman games that came to Europe but not North America. Have RPG elements in them. I'm a Bomberman fan, so I enjoyed them a lot, but your mileage might vary depending on one's interest in the series.

I'm a big fan of the quirky stuff, and I own a fair share of stuff I find interesting.

Here's a somewhat outdated list of my collection, if you're interested in digging into it for gems.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsWBZViqde7cdEFHc1JpWVJ3YXdYeE5PTGQwRXVadkE&usp=sharing

@Dash Kappei Oooh! That's quite a lovely offer. Hopefully someone takes you up on it. It really is one of the better games on the system, and considering the sheer amount published, that speaks volumes.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Haha, nope I'm not the seller but that isn't my pic either, I was just quoting the guy ^_^

I never had a DS, bought a 3DS little over a year ago and a New 3DS last month. I had actually never bought any original DS games since I got my 3DS until a few weeks ago when I got SMT: Strange Journey and absolutely love it. I think I'm going to start buying some more old DS games.

neist

Neo Member
I never had a DS, bought a 3DS little over a year ago and a New 3DS last month. I had actually never bought any original DS games since I got my 3DS until a few weeks ago when I got SMT: Strange Journey and absolutely love it. I think I'm going to start buying some more old DS games.

It's addictive! Be forewarned!

That aside though, I'm glad you're caught the bug. It's a great little system. It's not really under appreciated, but its definitely valued and valuable (at least in a non-monetary way).

If you have any questions, I'm sure the thread has a litany of expertise you can tap into. I'm sort of new to the thread, but it appears we have some experienced folks around.

Enjoy!

I finally completed my top 20 DS collection. Looks nice next to my 3DS collection.

01) New Super Mario Bros.
02) Zelda: Spirt Tracks
03) Kirby's Canvas Curse
04) Kirby Mass Attack
05) Tetris DS
06) Planet Puzzle League
07) Mario and Luigi: Bowers Inside Story
08) Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
09) Final Fantasy IV
10) Chrono Trigger DS
11) Dragon Quest IX
12) The World Ends With You
13) Radiant Historia
14) Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
15) Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
16) Ninja Gained: Dragon Sword
17) Contra 4
18) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
19) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
20) Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

CBTech

This has probably been discussed to death, but what are your thoughts on playing DS games on a 3DS XL? Is there any significant reason to play on a DS Lite or DSi over a 3DS? I'm asking because I recently bought a custom backlit GBA for my GBA games which has replaced using my DS Lite as my GBA device. My DS Lite also has a battery issue. Sometimes putting pressure on the wrong spot will just turn off the system and reset to factory default. I was considering buying a new battery or picking up a DSi since I don't need the GBA functionality anymore.

WillyFive

This has probably been discussed to death, but what are your thoughts on playing DS games on a 3DS XL? Is there any significant reason to play on a DS Lite or DSi over a 3DS? I'm asking because I recently bought a custom backlit GBA for my GBA games which has replaced using my DS Lite as my GBA device. My DS Lite also has a battery issue. Sometimes putting pressure on the wrong spot will just turn off the system and reset to factory default. I was considering buying a new battery or picking up a DSi since I don't need the GBA functionality anymore.

As long as you make sure to press Select or Start when you click on the game, playing DS games on the 3DS XL is the absolute best way to play them; assuming you are not looking for the smallest handheld possible to play the games on (because the 3DS XL is hardly portable, it's a slab). Screen and color quality alone makes it superior on 3DS XL, and even more so if you have a New 3DS XL with an IPS screen.

Peltz

As long as you make sure to press Select or Start when you click on the game, playing DS games on the 3DS XL is the absolute best way to play them; assuming you are not looking for the smallest handheld possible to play the games on (because the 3DS XL is hardly portable, it's a slab). Screen and color quality alone makes it superior on 3DS XL, and even more so if you have a New 3DS XL with an IPS screen.

I personally prefer the DSi XL over the N3DSXL in 1:1 mode. To me, DSi XL is still the best way to play old DS and DSi games.

I'm willing to bet that DSi XL also uses IPS screens.

My favorite way to play DS games in DSi, but if you're looking to eliminate clutter I can see why sticking to the 3DS is an attractive option.

I personally prefer the DSi XL over the N3DSXL in 1:1 mode. To me, DSi XL is still the best way to play old DS and DSi games.

How come? I have both but have never played DS games on the 3DS.

Peltz

How come? I have both but have never played DS games on the 3DS.

On 3DS you either have the blurry-looking upscale or black borders in the 1:1 mode. And the overall picture quality of every DSi XL I've seen is flawless, where as N3DSXL seems to vary on a per unit basis based on things I've read in other threads.

However, just being able to play at the native resolution of the system should be reason enough to choose the DSi XL over the N3DS (either version).

And people give me shit when I tell them I have over 50 DS games. lol

I keep telling people, with libraries like PS2 and DS, it's very hard to keep a reasonable number, even if you buy the games on other platforms.

I started with 5, it ballooned to 6, then to 10, 12, 15, 18, 20. 20 is all I'm doing and I feel I have a good selection going. I'd like to add Elite Beat Agents but I think that would have limited long term appeal for me.

Velcro Fly

As someone who recently got into Phoenix Wright, I decided to take a gander at the DS Layton games to maybe see how I liked them

Since I'm about where i want to be with my 3DS collection I figure checking out the Layton series is a good way to start looking more at DS games I skipped over.

The 3DS is probably my favorite handheld gaming thing but I loved the DS too. Hoping to explore some of the non RPG/non platformer stuff that I may have missed.

However, just being able to play at the native resolution of the system should be reason enough to choose the DSi XL over the N3DS (either version).

Depending on the game I prefer to play it on my 3DS XL. The main thing is the d-pad on the DSiXL is kinda crummy, it's really bad at doing diagonals comfortably. For Pokemon (no diagonal movement, wooo) or visual novels its fine. For Dragon Quest 9 or Okamiden I really preferred playing on the 3DS since the circle pad worked well for the more free form movement of these games, even without it being properly analog.

neist

Neo Member

I echo this sentiment. While you can get a 1:1 ratio on a 3DS (of any variety), I might prefer the larger screen. It sort of over emphasizes the pixel-ness of the graphics. Makes it feel a bit more retro and deliberately so.

But neither of them are native DS game resolution.

I know opinions can vary greatly, but I'd suggest everyone try out a game on the DSi XL before discounting it. I think it is the exemplar platform of DS gaming.

And people give me shit when I tell them I have over 50 DS games. lol

I keep telling people, with libraries like PS2 and DS, it's very hard to keep a reasonable number, even if you buy the games on other platforms.

I know, right? I tend to ask all of the larger collectors what their theoretically cap to their collection might be. Nearly all have said in the 250-300 range. Given the incredible size of the DS library, it's not overly absurd to imagine that a quarter of the games would be worth owning.

I don't think I could push the collection much past 350 unless I really started just to get random, cheap things.

CBTech

Just played a bit of a DS game on my 3DS XL using Start + Select to get the original resolution, the amount empty space bothered me more than I thought it would. Definitely think I'm going to pick up a DSi or maybe a DSi XL.

Peltz

Just played a bit of a DS game on my 3DS XL using Start + Select to get the original resolution, the amount empty space bothered me more than I thought it would. Definitely think I'm going to pick up a DSi or maybe a DSi XL.

XL is better than OG DSi in my humble opinion.

I'd like to add Elite Beat Agents but I think that would have limited long term appeal for me.

Well I really enjoyed the game when i first got it, but as time moved ona nd I got more games both in and out of the rhythm genre, I played it less. It got to the point where I play it so infrequently that it becomes a pain to play because EBA has a pretty significant learning curve, and it's very easy for that to rust.

The days of me clearing Jumping Jack Flash on Sweatin' are probaly gone. ;_;

neist

Neo Member
This week's haul.
Pretty happy with it! Now if only they'd localize DQVII...

Oh my, this thread has gave me a bug to buy more DS games. Here's what I've picked up in the last couple weeks. Some are extra copies. Some are things I'm marginally interested in considering I bought them for 99 cents.

20150330_201136_zpstpd1zxab.jpg

I'm amazed how cheap some of the obscure stuff has gotten on eBay. I might have to fill up the rest of my collection with the titles I've been putting off for ages.

CBTech

Bought a DSi XL. This thing is amazing. The buttons feel perfect. I love the texture of the back. Feels so good just to hold it. Can't wait to play my DS games on it. Thanks for suggesting this.

Now to play Ghost Trick. A little disappointed that I know the big twist to the game. Damn my compulsion to click spoiler tags.

tumblr_nm8o13Ei2P1up5x3ko1_1280.jpg

Considering it was 4 quid for the 3 of them overall, I'm happy enough. I have all the main series pokemon games on DS now, just need to get the spin offs and what not then I'll be done with pokemon DS games.

Velcro Fly

Bought the first Layton off ebay last weekend

Everything came in immaculate shape. The older DS game box was shocking to me because of how thick it was.

Can't wait to fit it into my backlog so I can play it! (sorry no pics right now)

Impotaku

Spending easter weekend having a huge DS gaming session, so far had a blast going back through my library replaying stuff. Also realised that there are still games i have yet to pick up, finally found myself a new usa copy of ghost trick as it's one i have wanted for a while. Went for the American version as it's just too hard in Japanese. Heard good things about it so i thought it was high time it was in my collection, think thats everything for english games now. Just some obscure Japanese ones left to buy.

I have always had a fondness for the original white DS. I remember picking it up along with New Super Mario Bros and spending a lot of time with it while my wife was in labor with my son. I think I eventually sold it for some reason and still regret that decision.

I've been on a retro kick again and have been looking for a new Gameboy and DS. Today I was at Game Stop picking up an amiibo when I found a new pristine white DS!

nZR5ano.jpg

The screen is immaculate with no scratches as is the DS itself! The only thing is that the bumpers and rubber paddings are a little yellow (anyone know how to safely make those white again?).

So thrilled and need to catch back up on my DS gaming.

Slermy

So... Pic Pic.

I finally tracked down a copy for a reasonable price, but low and behold.... it's not a multi-language cart like I thought it was.

I ended up with an Italian copy. It looks like there are three modes to play, how do they work exactly?

Top Bottom