• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2014

madmad90

Banned
My list would be different, but I guess that's obvious.

Titanfall may be the first MP Shooter I am really going to invest a Lot of Time in. The fast Gameplay, the tight levels and all the Praise it got from the Press hyped it pretty high for me.

And I watched the Movie Versions of Portable Ops and Peace Walker, so Ground Zeroes got back there up again.

Switch Bayonetta 2 and Destiny.
Switch Mario Kart 8 and TitanFall.

Thats basically my list. Besides those two mistakes, its an overall decent list.

wildfire

Banned
It's funny you have the audacity to call it a mistake.

A mistake would be Shinobi miscounting the votes.

The majority not being a slave to your preferences isn't a mistake.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My list would be different, but I guess that's obvious.

Titanfall may be the first MP Shooter I am really going to invest a Lot of Time in. The fast Gameplay, the tight levels and all the Praise it got from the Press hyped it pretty high for me.

And I watched the Movie Versions of Portable Ops and Peace Walker, so Ground Zeroes got back there up again.

What's up with the random capitalizations?

pixlexic

Banned
Not sure how people can be that excited for infamous when 1 and 2 were nothing to call home about. New console hype I guess.

Mattias

Banned
I have pretty much zero interest in The Witcher 3. PLayed a little of Witcher 2 but the combat sucked so I never finished it. It was decent but pretty meh.

loycuter

iohU4XA9Jw1yU.gif

Want Bayo 2 so bad. Probably the only one who voted for Devil's Third. It's entirely based on the premise and Itagaki's pedigree, but at least he said it would be coming this year.

The Witcher III? I really need to get into this series it seems, I am surprised about the amount of hype this is getting from enthusiast websites, I never thought of this series as being that huge.

Sentenza

I have pretty much zero interest in The Witcher 3. PLayed a little of Witcher 2 but the combat sucked so I never finished it. It was decent but pretty meh.
Considering how the third one is supposed to be entirely different, that doesn't really say much.

The Witcher III? I really need to get into this series it seems, I am surprised about the amount of hype this is getting from enthusiast websites, I never thought of this series as being that huge.
It wasn't, so far.

Sentenza

Witcher 1 was pretty huge at the time, if memory serves. It's still a great game, and choices actually matter, which is always nice.
I wouldn't really describe either of the two as "huge".
They are mildly successful and reasonably popular PC-centric games, the kind of ones people who are familiar with gaming websites heard about, but pretty obscure outside of that.

TW3, however, has all the chances to turn the franchise in something massively popular. As I said in the past, I'm expecting it to be be for CDPR essentially what GTA 3 was for Rockstar, for better or worse.

aravuus

I also don't really see why TW2 is such a big deal, tried to play it a couple of times but always stopped after 5 or so hours, but open world alone makes me excited about TW3. Didn't actually know it was open world before this thread lol.

Amir0x

Banned
Titanfall got robbed. Well, so much for original games.

Destiny is #3, and that's a true original just like Titanfall. "X" is basically an original, spiritual successor or not. Titanfall, WatchDogs, Division, Evil Within, Bravely Default, etc. all within top 20.

Conceptually, Titanfall isn't even strikingly original either... it's not bringing some unprecedented level of speed or agility to the proceedings, we've had super agile and much faster FPS in the past (Tribes with mech A.I., basically). It's just the combination of elements and the general chaos of the proceedings with the mechs that really turn people on. Still, I'm not sure if "originality" is the card we're holding up here, that Titanfall is its bannerman. The Witness is more original, and it's way further down on the list. Sunset Overdrive is probably more original than either, and it ain't even on the list. So is Quantum Break for that matter, with its odd TV-game merging, and that isn't on the list either.

I need this game so deep inside me *swoon*

Titanfall got robbed. Well, so much for original games.

You do know that not everyone are FPS fans? If you don't usually play online shooters, then Titanfall probably means nothing for you. I have something like 10-15 must buys this year, and neither Titanfall or Destiny are on that list.

This thread is really fun to read.

Also, i don't think people need to be pissed at positions in an anticipated list guys. I really like threads like this because it puts some new games on my radar, and i find the release dates for them easily. what's to gain if everything in the list is of your personal preference?

that said, this thread really needs more gifs!

Glad to see Destiny so high up on the list, as it looks fantastic.

The game seems to attract a loud vocal minority of (mostly uninformed) naysayers in every thread about it.

Sentenza

The game seems to attract a loud vocal minority of (mostly uninformed) naysayers in every thread about it.
I'm absolutely well "informed" about it and from what I've seen so far (which is pretty much everything they released at this point) the game just doesn't appeal me in any way, beside having some pretty nice art.

Thanks for sharing your concerns, anyway.

I'm absolutely well "informed" about it and from what I've seen so far (which is pretty much everything they released at this point) the game just doesn't appeal me in any way, beside having some pretty nice art.

That's why I said "mostly". It's perfectly fine to take a look at the game and find it unappealing. I have zero interest on Titanfall myself.

But having to explain on pretty much every Destiny thread that, for example, it does have a story campaign that's completely playable solo gets tiring. It's obvious Bungie/Activision have a lot of work to do on the messaging front.

Thanks for sharing your concerns, anyway.

You're welcome.

esterk

Pretty good top 10, I can't argue with the results. X is the one game I'm a little iffy on, since I need more gameplay before I can get excited:

Thanks for putting this on, shinobi!

8bit

Knows the Score
Is there a list of what's known for 2014 release? I can't say I'm really looking forward to much listed herein.

--

Nevermind, just remembered Elite is this year. That'll do.

I fully agree!

That game has the No. 1 spot on my personal list. Yet it seemed to me that it had not been able to build up much hype arround it. It is good to see that I was wrong.

It is interesting to see how Titanfall and Destiny are seemingly appealing to two different groups of players, even though both are shooters:

Titanfall is played mostly competitive while Destiny is played mostly cooperative.
Titanfall seems to have little lore and story, while lore and story are important to Destiny.
If Titanfall follows the COD-formula its progression system will offer ranks and items mostly for fame and aestetics, while Destiny's probably MMO-like loot system offers items that increase your power.

Consequently people that like one tend to look down on the other.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dark Souls 2 was my number 1 vote. My post was a positive observation, basically saying graphics aren't all a person can get excited about.
Ah, okay. My bad, I saw it more as a scoffing remark.

Ditto, but if TW3 fixes its clunky combat and a few other things, it could be pretty awesome.

Eusis

Consequently people that like one tend to look down on the other.
I don't agree with this part, it's likely many serious shooter fans can and will like both. You can enjoy, say, both JRPGs and WRPGs without snubbing off one or the other, you just may have an inclination that's stronger for one over the other. Not that those attitudes won't exist especially as the games probably look like de facto console representatives, with Titanfall locked down fully on XB1 (for this installment anyway) while Destiny has a bunch of extras on PS4 and seems otherwise more tightly connected to Sony's platforms given Bungie had input on the DS4 too.

Still, I do want to look over the voting thread to see how often both showed up...

Pretty good list! I have to say though that despite being a big Halo fan, Destiny really does nothing for me. Hopefully that changes soon enough. Also this list reminds me that I need to get into the Witcher and Souls series soon enough.

jax

Banned
Yeah, not feeling the top four at all. Can't believe the Prototype ripoff is more highly anticipated than SSBU. humph.

Says more about GAF than Titanfall.

I'm very hyped for titanfall, the guys at respawn are fantastic and i think i follow and anticipate this game's release since their departure from activision. they know what makes call of duty fun (in a way that i think even the guys at the helm of the COD series nowadays don't), from the smooth framerate to ultra-responsive controls, they nail what makes online gaming so fun.

I think people associate their heritage too much with what COD is today and not what it was when they were developing it. so some undeserved hate go at their direction too often in this forum. Of course people are entitled to dislike a multiplayer first person shooter if it's not their cup of tea. but really, it's kind of sad to see people say "barely made the top 10 lol" as if this isn't an achievment or that the "hype" surrounding titanfall is not deserved.

Top Bottom