• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nerd out about CHARACTER DESIGNS that make you antoniobanderas.gif

Neiteio

You know how certain character designs make you go:

antonio-banderas-gif-52bbd904-original.gif

It's what happens when you see a character that perfectly embodies certain design elements you fetishize, as though that character was designed just for you and your tastes.

Of course, everyone is different, so not everyone antoniobanderas.gifs to the same things. Me personally, I love characters that look mechanical and handcrafted. This includes many elements of steampunk, such as clockwork, brass fittings and steam bellows... but it also includes other antiquated elements, most notably puppetry, which are distinctly handmade but have so much personality imbued in them. (Fellow puppet lovers are advised to check out the works of Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.)

And what often brings all of these elements together are chiaroscuro highlights -- a strong contrast between light and dark, lending the design a threatening air. As a child, this sinister "mystique" was food for the imagination. (Chiaroscuro lovers are ALSO directed to the works of Mike Mignola!)

There's Goht, from Majora's Mask, with his strangely human face (an element I also appreciate in the angels of Bayonetta), his ornate markings, and his steam-powered bull body:

Q5XdVB4.jpg

There's Puppet Ganon, a monstrous marionette that towers over Link in The Wind Waker:

4i7R9sk.png

And then there are the generals of the Moon Bear King in Puppeteer, one of which is General Tiger. I love his paint job, how his eyes and stripes glow in the dark. I was sold on the presentation of the game the instant I saw him:

Puppeteer-Enemies-concept-art-and-description-General-Tiger-1024x986.jpg

c3KveSL.jpg

All of these gave me the antoniobanderas.gif moment. What has this effect on you?

Neiteio

I suppose it's "harmless," but what do you like about it? Hotness aside, I mean. Is it the bronze arm and leg armor that's sculpted onto her like an exoskeleton?

And yeah, I kind of cringe at the shameless pandering of such a design myself. :)

Fandangox

This is more about style rather than outright character design, but I really like the art direction of the Last Story.

But in general I like a dark comic-book style type of shading, like what seen in Redline, F-Zero x, etc.

c5fa1fb4-1958-4242-8502-13a8293cc22d.jpeg

The-Last-of-Us-6.jpg

Kind of counter-intuitive, but I love the design. Grounded, realistic, full of character. The wear and tear of the shirt, the personality, the fact that they actually change their outfits once in a while. Just generally awesome.

Neiteio

I have to say, General Tiger in Puppeteer made me antoniobanderas.gif SO HARD that I felt a bit lost and confused that there weren't already threads here dedicated to his glory.

Surely others see that glow-in-the-dark tiger monstrosity and pucker their butthole in joy.

I'm sure there's some nostalgia to it, but Samus Aran in Varia Suit is SEX!

samus_artwork_9.jpg

It's a pretty simple design when you think of it, but maybe that's why it works. The helmet/visor just oozes that 80s robo coolness. And armcannon, why not?

Speaking of Metroid and great designs: Ghost Song (mix between Super Metroid and Dark Souls), has some pretty damn awesome character designs as well.

1b5ae8ce43dd04db9f1450a3a7e7f703_large.gif

49debe468f58a689d280f46b109fdcb9_large.jpg

0d94133c0b312526f1ce7e16887c81d9_large.jpg

Nice mention of Bayonetta. Most of the enemies and bosses in Bayonetta are ridiculously well designed, detailed and modeled. In terms of lore, they are loosely based on the types of angels and their hierarchy in the heavens. They all have ornamental golden armor, marble white skin, fantastic glowing halos, and humanoid angelic masks that resemble what most people imagine angels to look like

Yet as you beat them up, their angel-like qualities quickly fall away and underneath their glorious exterior they appear to be grotesque monsters.

Platinum did a tremendous job with the enemies in this game.

Here's some examples:

Though, pictures on the internet don't quite do the designs justice. Its best to observe them in-game or with the model-viewer.

Myriadis

I in particular liked the character designs of Leanne and Vashyron of Resonance of Fate.
endofeternitybox05auutl.jpg

The clothes are exaggerated but still sorta down to earth, and while Leanne looks kinda like a innocent girl, even a bit doll-like, she really kicks some ass. And everything is so wonderfully customizable - different clothes, hair colors, even eye colors can be changed around.

CTLance

Currently? Binging on nostalgia.

Something about this
rkpashasketch.jpg
(source)
Is making me relive my childhood.

It has just the right mix of 80s hair, 80s Manga and 80s/90s SciFi, I guess.

Edit:I see, I was beaten to the punch.

Ran rp

I'm sure there's some nostalgia to it, but Samus Aran in Varia Suit is SEX!

samus_artwork_9.jpg

It's a pretty simple design when you think of it, but maybe that's why it works. The helmet/visor just oozes that 80s robo coolness. And armcannon, why not?

Speaking of Metroid and great designs: Ghost Song (mix between Super Metroid and Dark Souls), has some pretty damn awesome character designs as well.

1b5ae8ce43dd04db9f1450a3a7e7f703_large.gif

49debe468f58a689d280f46b109fdcb9_large.jpg

0d94133c0b312526f1ce7e16887c81d9_large.jpg

I love Jobbs' art style.

Mupod

I'ma post the most well deserving of the Banders GIF

Grant from Garou MotW.

Garou in general has some of my favorite fighting game character designs ever. It may not have HD sprites or SF3-like animation but I'm still impressed by the game every time I play it, it's just beautifully made in every way.

The Last Blade games are up there too. In most fighting games I can think of many characters I find lame or annoying (sometimes it's most of the cast) but Garou and LB have a definite lack of this. Either way I consider them to be the height of that neogeo 'aesthetic' I love so much.

Esura

Banned
I absolutely love the hell out of cute and/or sexy female character designs. Ever since I could remember I've been infatuated with stuff like this...

Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2

From left to right - Uni, Rom, Ram, Nepgear

Hyperdimension Neptunia V

From left to right - Black Heart, Green Heart, Iris Heart, Purple Heart, White Heart

Tales of Xillia - Milla Maxwell

Nier - Kaine

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Isabeau

I remember buying quite a few games back in the day (and even now.... <_<) just because I saw a cute girl on the cover somewhere. I guess because I find these designs quite stimulating and just different than the norm. Gets me all antoniobanderas.gif-ed out.

Top Bottom