• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nerd out about CHARACTER DESIGNS that make you antoniobanderas.gif

dark_souls_2-t2.jpg

love shadowy sad weak-like figures

Interesting thread. Wide variety of tastes.

Love the Shadow of the Colossus designs. The Dark Souls armor designs. Both of those also translate to in-game very well. Sam Gideons suit from Vanquish too.
Ganondorf is a good example of a character that I don't like in artwork very much. I think the in-game model is great though:
Ganondorf_(Ocarina_of_Time).png

Less bulky, wider nose, doesn't have that hunched over stance.

Toparaman

Banned
Interesting thread. Wide variety of tastes.

Yeah, some of the designs in this thread are the exact opposite of what I find appealing.
The moe girls, especially.

Dq8_Hero.jpg

Hero from Dragon Quest VIII. A color scheme which reminds me of Dragonball all the time (giving me nostalgic feels) and a kickass bandana which at the time, I hadn't seen on many heroes. Anytime I see him I just want to play the game again. Also,

I adored the character designs in DQVIII. Hell, it was basically the reason I played the game. (The story ended up being too simple to compel me to keep playing.)

Gengar
Just adore how simple the design is, but how you can easily tell what sort of awesome zeal this character has.

There were a bunch of great designs in the original 151 Pokemon, and they were all done by one guy.

TheWriter

Also, TTT2 redesigns of Tekkens' "fighting moms"

JunTTT2.JPG

Angel.png

Michelle_ChangTTT2.jpg

652997_20120518_640screen003.jpg

Jun, Angel, Michelle and Kunimitsu.

Classy, stylish, nice color palettes and practically every single one of them is over 35 (or 40) years old.

This is not only rare in fighting game rosters, but also gaming in general. Gotta applaud Namco for those designs and their inclusions.

Razzle Dazzle

Neo Member
A few of my most recent favorites

234973-398px_racer01_super.jpg

Racer from Fairy Tale. I HATE Fairy Tale but I am in love with this character design.

SG_DLC_BigBand.jpg

Big Band is awesome and he looks awesome

Kung-Fu_Dot.png

And this Frog from One Piece Movie: Strong World is ballin

Jackano

Tingle_Artwork_-_Rosy_Rupeeland.png

I'm serious. Tingle don't give a f*ck. He is the only one from Zelda to have got its own spin-off. Go home Sheik, go home Midna!
All NA hates him but he still got two games, the 1st has even been released in Europe thanks to the superior NoE and the second one is one of the best and funniest DS point & click game.
antoniobanderas.gif

Vanquish - Sam Gideon's suit
Resident Evil 4 - Leon S. Kennedy
Metal Gear Rising - Raiden
Ninja Gaiden - Ryu Hayabusa
Shenmue - Ryo Hazuki
Yakuza - Kazuma
Dark Souls - Artorias the Abysswalker
Skyward Sword - Link

You sir, have fantastic, grade A taste.

Azure J

Thread should be retitled "Anything by Bengus, Kinu Nishimura, the guy that did Jet Set Radio's character art and Samus' Light Suit/Phazon Suit in Metroid Prime/Prime 2".

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I in particular liked the character designs of Leanne and Vashyron of Resonance of Fate.
endofeternitybox05auutl.jpg

The clothes are exaggerated but still sorta down to earth, and while Leanne looks kinda like a innocent girl, even a bit doll-like, she really kicks some ass. And everything is so wonderfully customizable - different clothes, hair colors, even eye colors can be changed around.

iGfLEJeVbvhAg.gif

blamite

Most of Bungie's character designs for Destiny, especially the Warlock:

0k6vkmI.png

Pretty much every iteration of Big Boss, especially Peace Walker:

9Up3pRZm.jpg

and MGSV:

9GJxYRn.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I absolutely love the hell out of cute and/or sexy female character designs. Ever since I could remember I've been infatuated with stuff like this...
I find these designs quite stimulating and just different than the norm. Gets me all antoniobanderas.gif-ed out.
yuck

this is the one I came here to post

LOOK AT IT

how badass is that?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't normally like very busy designs, but I really dug Yoshimitsu's look in Tekken 6.

2261294-yoshimitsu_t6cg.png

I like it so much that it's one of the few costumes in the game I leave uncustomized.

Agreed, it needs to look like this again.

329px-Link_Artwork_1_%28Twilight_Princess%29.png

The other artwork looks like a generic fantasy design made for F2P facebook RPGs. Also, brown hair. Make it pink again, then we can talk.

Nope. We need to go back to this:

link-items.jpg

I would kill for a cell shaded Zelda game in this style.

Majmun

Raziel from Soul Reaver

j7DxW9gfJRHfz.jpg

Emil from NieR

jbyrJCwXPDe2fN.jpg

Very memorable looking characters imo. I love characters that look intruiging and creepy.

Pachinko

I'm a sucker for cleavage when it comes to female designs , so the dragons crown sorceress is just about the best thing ever. I have the mind of a 13 year old some days.
Click for picture, it's huge

For mechanical design , I prefer wispy thin unearthly looking robots. The evangelion units for example , although classic go nagai robots have also looked pretty cool. Simplistic anime style is king. For a game reference - Zone of the Enders is pretty close.
jehuty.jpg

Creature designs I've always favored grotesque monstrosities - take for example, the monster designs for biohazard 2 .
boss_william_m2.jpg

televator

I like characters that have a visceral and/or bohemian look to them, especially in their eyes. So far Zelda games are the only ones that really speak to me that way.

Midna.gif

tumblr_lwn0lb7kwx1qb16dqo1_400.gif

It's not originally a game, but it's kinda why I like the Uchiha in Naruto as well.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone in Sengoku Basara, specifically because of the insane artwork and character designs by Makoto Tsuchibayashi

This is just a taste, so many awesome character designs in those games...

The most underrated and my personal favorite Capcom artist. Though I guess he only really did two series for them.(DMC1 and Sengoku Basara 1-3)

His work on the PS2 Shinobi games was always my favorite work of his. Specifically Nightshade(Kunoichi) which has some of my favorite female character designs with Hibana and Hisui.

Jeanne's new design reminds me alot of Hisui but I can't prove that there's a connection!!

I like dark, evocative imagery, and usually tend to shy away from overly busy artwork.

The Gold-Hemmed Black Set from Dark Souls. I am a huge fan of the majority of armor and design choices in the Souls series.

The Queen from Ico. I just love the whole composition of the throne room, too, and the color choices for that whole event.

I like Kamitani's art when it's more in lieu of this.

The more you learn about these seemingly random, vulgar, unearthly, disturbing monstrosities, the more you realize this is how they were seen in myth...as thru a master's particular eye.

3mxYpq2.jpg

As "cold" as the artstyle and as masklike the faces seem at first glance, it often shows off the humanity within the characters portrayed far better and deeper than most. They exist almost as bridges between the mundane and the fantastical, the perfect entrants to games where humanity is valuable enough to fight for...but just as often as currency to buy power.

Clashes between titanic, dogmatic, inhuman entities need portrayed, and Kazuma Kaneko is there to both will them into being and describe them in pictures.

Kq17yam.jpg

X29XDR7.jpg

What's best about this is it was largely aimed at to be easy for 3D teams to integrate into being.

Large blocks of simple color with matte shading, deep angles, and deep shadows. Allows for choice detail and keeps the "muddy" look that haunted alot of low-budget PS2 games from gettin' in to Atlus' fine masterpieces.

Top Bottom