• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

TransTrender

Gold Member
Don't know about the extension cords but I'd imagine they'd work...

If you're using a Wii Classic Controller of any kind, you can press the Home button to go to the menu and if you're soft-modding your NES you can map a "Menu" button to a button combination. The default is down and select (-) but you can change it to something else you would like.
Yes, I'm using the old Wii pro controller so that will work. The plan was to mod it after I got through a few games but I'll accelerate the schedule just for that.

Also it blew my mind when I beat the Legend of Zelda and there were like 6 unique name in the credits.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Don't know about the extension cords but I'd imagine they'd work...

If you're using a Wii Classic Controller of any kind, you can press the Home button to go to the menu and if you're soft-modding your NES you can map a "Menu" button to a button combination. The default is down and select (-) but you can change it to something else you would like.

OK so I haven't use Hackchi2 on my NES classic yet but I was poking around in the UI and it wasn't clear to me where you can change the button mapping for issuing a reset from the controller.
Is this something that shows up after you hack it and then use the NES classic?

OK so I haven't use Hackchi2 on my NES classic yet but I was poking around in the UI and it wasn't clear to me where you can change the button mapping for issuing a reset from the controller.
Is this something that shows up after you hack it and then use the NES classic?

Go into Settings -> Controller Hacks -> check "Use button combination to reset". This will enable the default Down + Select combination for the menu. If you want to change it to something else or make it more complex, go Controller Hacks -> select reset button combination.

After you have your settings taken care of, install your mods and then the button combination should work mid-play. For safety's sake to prevent accidental activation, you have to hold the buttons down for two seconds. Doesn't have to be at the same time either so you can hold Select and then start holding Down to activate.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Go into Settings -> Controller Hacks -> check "Use button combination to reset". This will enable the default Down + Select combination for the menu. If you want to change it to something else or make it more complex, go Controller Hacks -> select reset button combination.

After you have your settings taken care of, install your mods and then the button combination should work mid-play. For safety's sake to prevent accidental activation, you have to hold the buttons down for two seconds. Doesn't have to be at the same time either so you can hold Select and then start holding Down to activate.

Word, thanks for the description.

Maybe it was just me but I couldn't find it anywhere online that actually describe what the actual button combination is for "Use button combination to reset"

fernoca

Did they get this working? At launch it didn't work with most of the games on the classic.

Yep, they even offered dongles that made them work for original purchasers. Fantastic parts for the price.
Yep!
The one I got is already fixed at least. Works perfectly and love it because is the exact setup I had more than 20 years ago. XD

The packaging, mini guide and overall quality are impressive for the price.

Bedlam

Has anyone else had trouble with running Genesis / Mega Drive games on this thing directly from the menu? They are not starting; the screen just goes black for a second and then it's back to menu. From what I understand the problem is that with certain formats of Genesis roms, it doesn't know which Core / Emulator to start automatically or something. Manual changes to the command line have to be made manually for each game in order for it to work. However, I've mostly seen people being able to run Genesis games directly from the NES Classic menu without these manual command line changes. What am I doing wrong here? What Core and rom format are you guys using for Genesis games?

Gaffer reporting restocks @ Walmart:

Walmart got a massive shipment today locally. Every store got 20+ and a ton of NES classics. I would call and check because people on the east coast are reporting the same. It seems shipments are getting bumped on a weekly basis now.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I keep wondering if Nintendo would make a "Vol. 2" of the NES Classic because I can think of a dozen or so games I'd love on this thing that are missing, but I feel like a Vol 2. would need a bunch of repeats since the original has so many of the classics on there. Hmm.

crpav

Gaffer reporting restocks @ Walmart:

Sounds good for those looking. My local small town one received 7 the other day. I checked Wednesday evening and were not on the shelves despite brickseek saying 7 in stock. I checked the stock a few times since and yesterday it went from 7 to 4 to 2 then now 0. I was thinking of getting another, 2 if possible, but not to scalp. One for my brother who I said I would get one for his birthday last month and another for a friend as a surprise since he can't find one in his town.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, I've been watching brickseek for weeks and I noticed that several local walmarts suddenly had stock and when I got there the guy went in the back and brought out a box and opened it right there and told me it just came off the truck. No controllers though but I don't know what SKU they use either.

DarkWish

I went to Toys "R" Us about 6 pm yesterday and they had one NES Classic on the shelf. I took a picture and was about to tweet saying I saw my first in-store sighting, and literally as I'm typing my tweet an employee comes and gets it and hands it to a customer.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I went to Toys "R" Us about 6 pm yesterday and they had one NES Classic on the shelf. I took a picture and was about to tweet saying I saw my first in-store sighting, and literally as I'm typing my tweet an employee comes and gets it and hands it to a customer.

LOL. Were you planning on buying that? Because I would be PISSED.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I keep wondering if Nintendo would make a "Vol. 2" of the NES Classic because I can think of a dozen or so games I'd love on this thing that are missing, but I feel like a Vol 2. would need a bunch of repeats since the original has so many of the classics on there. Hmm.

Modding/Hacking is so so easy, a Volume 2 isn't necessary. If you know to plug in a USB cord to a computer, you can "hack" any NES game you want to your system. Yup, it's that easy.

fernoca

Modding/Hacking is so so easy, a Volume 2 isn't necessary. If you know to plug in a USB cord to a computer, you can "hack" any NES game you want to your system. Yup, it's that easy.
Nintendo per se hasn't endorsed or recommended hacking them. :p

So in theory, a Vol.2 of sorts could be released. Heck, before launch, many assumed Nintendo would release waves of Minis with different games. Now considering the difficulties of getting them out faster, who knows what will they follow with. Directly to the SNES Mini maybe.

Bluth54

I think a SNES Classic would be much more likely than an NES Classic v2.

sphinx

the piano man
ok this is getting silly,

ever since release I have been visiting the amazon.de site for this product and at its peak just before christmas the console would sell for around 150~170 euro, so about double it's retail price.

As time went on, price began to steadily go down till it reached 100~110 euro, (which IMO is perfectly fine price, considering what this is and how hard it is to come by), that was like a month ago then I stopped watching assuming it would be either be readily available or down to near retail prices by stalkers by now.

how does it look now, today, a month later??

nintendomini_zpsecp43hr4.jpg

Yep, they even offered dongles that made them work for original purchasers. Fantastic parts for the price.

And apparently you can easily mod in higher quality parts. I'm tempted to get one just to drop in some sanwa stuff. I looked at some vids and they have a real restrictor plate(circular) and a standard size removable joystick(probably not the highest quality?) in there. Buttons are probably lower quality as well, but that's a swap that takes minutes.
Really surprised that this thing has something more than early Madcatz era parts in it, given the price.

Prowl

Managed to get my hands on some of the controllers finally, also got extra consoles too.

Australia got a shipment in this week

B.K.

HOLY SHIT! I FINALLY FOUND ONE TODAY!

I was starting to think these things didn't really exist and it was a big conspiracy. I checked Brick Seek last night and a Wal-Mart about a hour away was listed as having NINE(!) in stock. When I got up this morning, I checked and it was down to five. When I got there, they had two on the shelf. I got both of them: one for me and one for my brother-in-law. He's been crazy about the thing ever since it was announced. He's been dying to get one. I went everywhere looking for one around Christmas to try to get him one for Christmas, but never could find one. Now I finally found one each for both of us.

TLZ

Banned
Sorry I'm posting this here as I don't see a thread for Australian stock.

I was in Rouse Hill (NSW) and found stock at Target and was surprised.

Just letting my fellow Ozs know if anyone's around that area.

Unsure how long they're there though so be quick.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
HOLY SHIT! I FINALLY FOUND ONE TODAY!

I was starting to think these things didn't really exist and it was a big conspiracy. I checked Brick Seek last night and a Wal-Mart about a hour away was listed as having NINE(!) in stock. When I got up this morning, I checked and it was down to five. When I got there, they had two on the shelf. I got both of them: one for me and one for my brother-in-law. He's been crazy about the thing ever since it was announced. He's been dying to get one. I went everywhere looking for one around Christmas to try to get him one for Christmas, but never could find one. Now I finally found one each for both of us.

Wow congrats! I've gotta start checking Brickseek!

Joei

Finally got a Classic! Checked Brickseek this morning and it said my local target had a few, unfortunately I couldn't make it to opening, but I called at 9 and the guy said he had some. Just got there and he said I was the first he sold today. They only got 3 I think. Crazy that that's all they're shipping.

Finally got a Classic! Checked Brickseek this morning and it said my local target had a few, unfortunately I couldn't make it to opening, but I called at 9 and the guy said he had some. Just got there and he said I was the first he sold today. They only got 3 I think. Crazy that that's all they're shipping.

Decided to check BS as well and one of the Target's near my work had 5. Pulled up and there were 3 other people in line and sure enough, they had 5! Finally got one! Now to figure out what accessories to get. Definitely need a controller extension. Are all made equal or is there one that is more preferred?

Decided to check BS as well and one of the Target's near my work had 5. Pulled up and there were 3 other people in line and sure enough, they had 5! Finally got one! Now to figure out what accessories to get. Definitely need a controller extension. Are all made equal or is there one that is more preferred?

TBH the Best Buy near me has a ton of the Insignia ones and they work well. I had bought a 2-pack of Kootek 10' ones off Amazon for $12 but one of them barely worked. So I have a working 6' and a working 10' cable. I've been tempted to open the bad one and see if I can fix it or if there's a break or something.

D.Lo

I think a SNES Classic would be much more likely than an NES Classic v2.
I can't see another mini console coming now really. They don't want to cannibalise the Switch this holidays. I guess it's in another market segment, but they're trying to position the Switch as the 'SNES reborn' (Multiplayer out of the box, Bomberman, Street Fighter II, Mario Kart etc).

Maybe in a few years?

Jazzem

I can't see another mini console coming now really. They don't want to cannibalise the Switch this holidays. I guess it's in another market segment, but they're trying to position the Switch as the 'SNES reborn' (Multiplayer out of the box, Bomberman, Street Fighter II, Mario Kart etc).

Maybe in a few years?

That's a good point (I like the Switch/SNES analogy, ha), classic systems could be used as stop gaps in between major console releases.

I'd buy a SNES mini in the JP/PAL style in a heartbeat regardless!

Joei

So how accurate is this Brickseek site?

I think fairly accurate. I used it to get a Neon Switch at Walmart and I check regularly for Classics. Whenever the Targets around me have them I'm always working or can't get out, and when I check later in the day they're at 0. In fact, the Target I went to is now showing 0.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

No thanks, I'd rather purchase a new set of games legitimately than go the piracy route.

Wubbles

Neo Member

Worked for me. I checked this morning since I was visiting PA. Target in the town over had 1 in stock. Drove over and bam... Found this little guy :)

f390bvf.jpg

The target must have gotten a Nintendo shipment in since they also had a Switch in stock too. Both the NES and Switch were at customer service vs the video game section. So I'd check there first if you go to Target. Although as always... YMMV.

inner-G

Banned
I haven't looked but can I plug two extensions Daisy chain style?

Also is there a way to get to the main menu aside from pressing the reset button?
I know I'm late, but yes you can chain extensions together. (I have a 6 and 10 ft ones together)

You can get back to menu via the home button on a classic controller, or you can use hackchi2 to set a custom button combo to act as a home button.

Boylamite

Finally got one for me yesterday morning. Checked nowinstock and saw amazon.ca had some and I managed to grab one.
Then I checked bestbuy last night and they had stock, so now I have a second one coming. My brother is going to be so happy to get this as a birthday present!

tsundoku

What's the actual cable you need to modify / get to plug this thing in and flash a different set of games to it?
When I saw this thing I thought it would be perfect for my parents, especially my mom who learned how to turn on my gamecube and animal crossing save file just to play nes pinball, but then they didn't include it but put an rpg on there
total misunderstanding of the market imo, but now you can fix that, I've been watching it come back in stock but I cant seem to google fu what the actual cable is that you need to use?

Persona7

Banned

It is accurate for the most part. sometimes incoming shipments are counted towards it for some reason. So like if they expect 10 that day it will show 10 even if they haven't received the shipment yet. If something is stolen or damaged it will also remain in the inventory until a certain period as well so that can mess things up.

What's the actual cable you need to modify / get to plug this thing in and flash a different set of games to it?
When I saw this thing I thought it would be perfect for my parents, especially my mom who learned how to turn on my gamecube and animal crossing save file just to play nes pinball, but then they didn't include it but put an rpg on there
total misunderstanding of the market imo, but now you can fix that, I've been watching it come back in stock but I cant seem to google fu what the actual cable is that you need to use?

Just a normal mini usb one (or micro I forget which is which - the one that comes with it)

crpav

The cable that comes with it. It's a standard USB cable and the power plug is like Apple devices now where it is detachable so can power using an outlet or a computer.

I flashed and played mine the other night all from having it plugged into my computer.

Top Bottom