• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Mini has Pixel Perfect Mode and CRT Mode (Rep from Nintendo of Canada)

Julie Gagnon, the Communications Manager at Nintendo of Canada, was interviewed on a radio show and confirmed a few more details about the upcoming Nintendo Classic NES Mini, including CRT Mode and Perfect Pixel Mode. Interview was translated to English from French.

“What is interesting is that we can play through HDMI, but there will be different modes of how we will see the screen – a mode simulating the retro aspect of our old CRT screens, there will be a mode which can be at the resolution of the modern screens in 4:3 format, and a pixel perfect mode which will display each pixel as a square, so people can have fun with this too.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...on-audience-different-display-modes-and-more/

I think this was posted earlier. In that thread u said how I hope it has a really cool interactive menu like Mario Paint. I miss that side of Nintendo

Neoxon

Sounds great, & the good news may push me to actually buy the damn thing (I didn't invest too much into Virtual Console games this gen, so I won't be doing much double-dipping in this case). Part of me hopes that there will be a code in the box that will allow me to download the NES Mini games to the NX, but I doubt it.

Madao

i can support the thought about "people who aren't into gaming are gonna buy this"

i've seen people in my FB feed who don't own any console from this millenium talking about getting a NES mini.

the market is outside the common gamer and that's why there's people thinking no one's buying this.

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!

As a long time proponent for CRT gaming, I'd love to see whether people prefer to play their games in pixel perfect HD mode or the way they remember it in CRT mode. I expect the results may be surprising.

I'm almost certainly going to get this, it's a great deal for the price it is and it lets me play a lot of great games in an authentic manner. I really hope Nintendo continues this "Mini" series, it could make quite a bit of revenue from nostalgic gamers.

Is...ah... anybody actually buying this?

As a child of the 80's im obligated to get this. Punch Out! is calling my fucking name. The only game that could make this personally better for me is Contra.

I also want to buy it because I think if this sells well enough Nintendo would be compelled enough to make an SNES one.

Mediking

This thing is going to sell. Quite a few people who aren't regular gamers are talking about it

Two people I know who aren't gamers are.

I'm buying it just as a conversation piece in my living room.

The comment or the gadget?

Yes

Yes.
And it will sell a lot.
Unless they understock, which I fear. Then it will sell a lot but not as many as it could have.

It sold out Australia wide (preorders)

I have a feeling it will be next to impossible to find one of these in stock before the holidays.

If you mean the product, I'm sure you haven't actually LOOKED at the thread about it, so that's something to try and glimpse at.

For the comment, it was part of an official interview.

A girl at work who is not a gamer at all came up to me and asked if I heard about this thing and was totally excited about it.

This thing is going to do gangbusters at Christmas.

I want one

I'm starting to get more and more interested. I only wish it had Tetris and DQ/DW.

This thing was getting mad hype when it was announced and I even saw it on the news.

Man I really hope someone answers this guy's post.

I am gotta teach my 3 year old right!

As a child of the 80's im obligated to get this. Punch Out! is calling my fucking name. The only game that could make this personally better for me is Contra.

I also want to buy it because I think if this sells well enough Nintendo would be compelled enough to make an SNES one.

!!! Hahaha nice.

BD1

Banned
This will probably be the best selling video game category product of the Holidays, right? The anecdotal evidence would certainly tell us that. I know no less than 5 guys, all in their late 30s, with young kids and no time, who don't play games but are planning on buying this.

I gotta give Nintendo credit, they are manufacturing a hit with not much to work with from NCL.

Mediking

This will probably be the best selling video game category product of the Holidays, right? The anecdotal evidence would certainly tell us that. I know no less than 5 guys, all in their late 30s, with young kids and no time, who don't play games but are planning on buying this.

I gotta give Nintendo credit, they are manufacturing a hit with not much to work with from NCL.

??? This will be the best selling video game category??? I don't think so... PSVR says hi. Then again, I might be totally wrong.

??? This will be the best selling video game category??? I don't think so... PSVR says hi. Then again, I might be totally wrong.

Even if as many people could afford PSVR as they could this, I doubt they are manufacturing anywhere near as many VR kits as they are NES Classic Editions. Didn't Sony even say to expect shortages of PSVR?

Thud

It's 60 bucks. Plug and play.

PS VR is add on to an already expensive PS4. It's well beyond the price range of a simple gift.

Besides nostalgia runs strong. It's already raking in preorders left and right.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Now let us Europeans choose between the NTSC and PAL versions of the games, and the box has everything I want.

(A man can dream.)

RetroArch + rPi does these modes too right? I mean we are talking full screen non-integer, integer, stretched, and shader right?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's really cool that they're actually taking the time to do a good job with this. I know I'm not the market for something like this, but niceties like these are going to make a particularly vocal minority's very happy.

Azoor

Still baffled why there are only 30 games on this system while they could cram the entire library of the system into an SD card.

I know there are licensing to go through with 3rd party games, but that doesn't mean Nintendo couldn't put they're own games there.

LOUD915

Still baffled why there are only 30 games on this system while they could cram the entire library of the system into an SD card.

I know there are licensing to go through with 3rd party games, but that doesn't mean Nintendo couldn't put they're own games there.

So they can sell you version 2 in 6 months...duh.

Hilarion

So they can sell you version 2 in 6 months...duh.

Good luck coming up with a second set of 30 games, without the 30 that are already in this, that would attract any interest whatsoever.

What are you going to stick into it? The other 5 Megaman games, Castlevania 3, and...Golf? Pinball? Donkey Kong Jr?

jwhit28

Well if this thing is actually running on some modified 3DS hardware, the missing Nintendo published games from 3DS VC are NES Open Golf, Super Mario 2 JP, Yoshi, Wrecking Crew, Wario's Woods, Donkey Kong 3, Clu Clu Land, Mach Rider, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, and Adventures of Lolo.

None of those seem like huge misses for a product that is meant to invoke nostalgia.

Top Bottom