• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Mini has Pixel Perfect Mode and CRT Mode (Rep from Nintendo of Canada)

Still baffled why there are only 30 games on this system while they could cram the entire library of the system into an SD card.

I know there are licensing to go through with 3rd party games, but that doesn't mean Nintendo couldn't put they're own games there.

These games are still worth something. Popping 500 games onto a $60 machine is bad business.

Hilarion

Well if this thing is actually running on some modified 3DS hardware, the missing Nintendo published games from 3DS VC are NES Open Golf, Super Mario 2 JP, Yoshi, Wrecking Crew, Wario's Woods, Donkey Kong 3, Clu Clu Land, Mach Rider, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, and Adventures of Lolo.

None of those seem like huge misses for a product that is meant to invoke nostalgia.

Wrecking Crew and Golf would at least match some of the stuff that's already on the NES Mini in terms of nostalgia, but neither are huge losses. Wario's Woods, as a puzzle game, holds up a bit better than some other stuff, but it's not really worth it. The real Mario 2 is not great for nostalgia purposes in the US, but is actually relatively famous and was included in its easymode in Super Mario All-Stars, which everyone who had an SNES remembers. I could see sticking the original Mario 2 on there, but I understand why they didn't.

I kind of wish they had stuck some Dragon Warrior games on there, given that SE was clearly on board in giving them Final Fantasy, but Dragon (Quest) Warrior I-IV NES version were absolutely brutal slogs that became much more playable in their remakes. Dragon Warrior IV NES is one of the most impressive titles on the NES, though, so it might've been a worthwhile thing to stick on.

If nostalgia weren't a requirement, sticking Earthbound Beginnings on there would also be a good idea, but that game is hard.

There's also an official SE translation of Final Fantasy II NES that they didn't end up releasing because it was at the very end of the NES' lifespan so they decided not to release it. Again, it's probably not a game that would be good for something like this and would just alienate people due to its extreme obtuseness and difficulty. It's a shame the Famicom Final Fantasy III doesn't have an English version because that game does hold up far better than Final Fantasies I or II do and is legitimately hugely impressive for an NES game.

It's a shame there's no English version of the NES/SNES Fire Emblem games, but that ship sailed decades ago.

Shaneus

If only Sega could release something remotely close to the quality of this for their Genesis/MD releases. AtGames consoles are fucking turds.

jwhit28

If only Sega could release something remotely close to the quality of this for their Genesis/MD releases. AtGames consoles are fucking turds.

There is always the Raspberry Pi route. It's much easier to source the Genesis games from Steam. It wouldn't be Virtual Console quality but it would be better than AtGames easily.

Is...ah... anybody actually buying this?

Nope, absolutely no one. It'll be on clearance for 99 cents by January.

Maybe if the NES had resurrected the home console industry in the mid-80's in NA and had become a full-blown cultural phenomenon, more folks would be interested.

Isn't emulation still the much better option? Pretty sure emulators already do these on hdtvs and you can add all your games. Seems like a waste until it's modified. even then it's better but not elite

Many people own hundreds of carts

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Isn't emulation still the much better option? Pretty sure emulators already do these on hdtvs and you can add all your games. Seems like a waste until it's modified. even then it's better but not elite

This product is not aimed at people who know what an emulator is.

OuterLimits

??? This will be the best selling video game category??? I don't think so... PSVR says hi. Then again, I might be totally wrong.

You will likely be totally wrong. Many very casual gamers, and even non gamers I know are aware of this and want to get one. I doubt many non gamers are going to rush out to drop hundreds on PSVR. Plus it's $60, a very affordable impulse buy.

Do emulators come inside a mini NES case and work with Nintendo branded NES controllers?

Emulators are cool dude but this is something you can gift people and they can plug it in and play their favorite games on their TV in seconds.

poodaddy

Maybe if the NES had resurrected the home console industry in the mid-80's in NA and had become a full-blown cultural phenomenon, more folks would be interested.

Lol I love this post so much. Yeah I'm amazed that anyone would question the profitability of this micro console. This is probably the smartest move Nintendo's made in years, and I hope it sells absolutely nutty amounts just so we might get an SNES Mini version down the road. That would be just......well I don't know how to communicate just how amazing that would be to me; there really just aren't words. Suffice to say, I'd be more than a bit excited.

jwhit28

A SNES Classic won't sell more than this. Of course, it still needs to happen.

SNES would depend a lot more on 3rd party. Nintendo should have taken those ugly red Wii's with no internet and made those into N64's. N64 mini could get by with just Nintendo and Rare. I'd pay $120 for that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SNES would depend a lot more on 3rd party. Nintendo should have taken those ugly red Wii's with no internet and made those into N64's. N64 mini could get by with just Nintendo and Rare. I'd pay $120 for that.

Are you planning to buy an NX?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Lol I love this post so much. Yeah I'm amazed that anyone would question the profitability of this micro console. This is probably the smartest move Nintendo's made in years, and I hope it sells absolutely nutty amounts just so we might get an SNES Mini version down the road. That would be just......well I don't know how to communicate just how amazing that would be to me; there really just aren't words. Suffice to say, I'd be more than a bit excited.

I understand it as a gift to casual/non-gamer friends or for people who do not own or plan to own a VC capable console on the future. I cannot grasp the IMHO evident overlap between NX preorders and appeal of this and/or SNES Classic if they were to make one. NX should be more than powerful enough to have great emulation of NES to N64 titles and possibly GameCube titles as well.

AgeEighty

??? This will be the best selling video game category??? I don't think so... PSVR says hi. Then again, I might be totally wrong.

You think a $400 VR system that also requires PS4 ownership will outsell a $60 plug-and-play nostalgia box whose price and form factor will fit nicely on a lot of Christmas lists?

Sure, you can go with that I guess.

Perfect.

The engineering on the NES mini is making that $60 dollar price tag look almost warranted. I would still prefer the option for additional games. But it is a pretty cool little collectors piece.

Trilobit

I wonder if this console will sell more than the Wii U.

200w.gif

Top Bottom