• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES or N-E-S?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The first step in fixing a problem is admitting you have it. It is very good to see so many people admitting to their sins in here. Now, children, are you willing to take steps towards betterment? That is the question.

J D

Banned
The hell, where does the Z come in? That says "Ness".

I'm British, Scottish if we're being precise.

Well when i say it its not a full z but not an s somewhere in between

We say Buz instead of Bus in exactly the same way

I'm British and its Nez. Also it was always Say-ga, I didn't know anyone who said Sea-ga. Say-ga is right there in the Sonic intros.

Yep, always Nez and Snez. That's how it was always said on TV. Anyone who said "Sea-ga was ridiculed".

More importantly: "Bros" "Bro's" or "Brothers" for SMB?

I always said Brothers, but Violet Berlin of Bad Influence fame always pronounced it "Bros" like the 90s band.

g11

LpgGfpK.jpg

'Murica.

VegiHam

who calls it the 'nes' why would you do that you dont do that for anything else it doesnt make any sense

I dunno man, some G A Ffers be crazy I guess.

I'm from England and call them Ness and sness. However, I'm young and have only ever known them as retro stuff talked about online. So I may have picked that up from reading the acronyms as words.

Sapiens

If you actually grew up with one in North 'Merica - you called it Nintendo.

After the SNES came out, you called them the Nintendo and the Super Nintendo.

I knew one guy who said "Ness" and "Sness" - he works a convenience store now. There you have it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's pronounced Nezked.
Spelt NESCD.
Stands for Nintendo Entertainment System Control Deck.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Pigs can harbour a range of parasites and diseases that can be transmitted to humans. These include trichinosis, Taenia solium, cysticercosis, and brucellosis. Pigs are also known to host large concentrations of parasitic ascarid worms in their digestive tract.

noquarter

Was always N-E-S and Super N-E-S as a kid. But for some reason when emulators got big in the late nineties I started saying Ness and Sness. Don't know why. I go between the two now.

From the US, west coast when I got one.
Pigs can harbour a range of parasites and diseases that can be transmitted to humans. These include trichinosis, Taenia solium, cysticercosis, and brucellosis. Pigs are also known to host large concentrations of parasitic ascarid worms in their digestive tract.
Thanks!

gelf

Well when i say it its not a full z but not an s somewhere in between

We say Buz instead of Bus in exactly the same way
Yeah it's basically said to rhyme with the name Les.

I don't say Buz though that sounds weird to me. Some do say it like that were I live though

Rndm

N-E-S for sure. Never doubted it and it makes the most sense to me as it's an acronym with three capital letters that don't sound too great when pronounced as a single word. Afterall, it's not supposed to be the console of choice for the Loch Ness Monster I guess.

Carl

Very informative, thanks

If I'm actually saying it out loud, I say Nintendo and Super Nintendo.

On rare occasions, I might say en-ee-ess, but never "ness" or "nez" or any variation thereof.

Mik2121

I say "NES", not "N-E-S". Also I don't think I've ever called it "SNES" or "S-N-E-S" but rather "Super Nintendo".

Spain (saying "N-E-S" in Spanish is kind of awkward to pronounce so I think that's one of the reasons)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funny that the country that pronounced it Ness never got the game starring him until 2014.

I'm from the UK, like for many others, we called it Nintendo and Super Nintendo when we were growing up. Then when the 64 came out it was NEZ and SNEZ.

Funny thing is I know a guy who pronounce Snes with a long "e" sound. "I've just finished Terranigma on the Sneeze"

Top Bottom