• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES or N-E-S?

SteHitch

Neo Member
I am from the UK and I have always pronounced it as Nez. Enn-eee-ess and Ness are both valid though, no right or wrong.

Special C

My grandma always called it "the Nintendo", then when we got an SNES she called that "the Nintendo" She also called the playstation "the Nintendo" even though that one didn't have Super "Mare-E-O" Brothers.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's an acronym. The only correct way to pronounce it is N-E-S.

I'm willing to accept that people are ignorant and terrible and pronounce it "Ness", but "Nez"? Seriously?

(if you call it a Ness or a Sness I'm not your friend)

Pssst. You. Dude. Yes, you: acronyms are pronounced as one word (NASA, NATO, WASP, AIDS, laser, scuba, etc.). The word you're looking for is "initialism" ;)

Don't take my word for it, though. It's not like I'm your friend or anything...

So you pronounce a Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation L-A-S-E-R ?
Sorry, but you're talking absolute bullshit.

No, but what's a L-A-S-E-R? It's been spelled laser (or Laser at the beginning of a sentence) in literature for decades. Not as the initialism - LASER. When you start spelling NES as nes, then you may have a point.

dose

How do you "nez" people pronounce yes?
How do you pronounce 'res' when talking about resolution? eg.,"What res screen is that?". I imagine with a z?

Also, calling it a Nintendo has always sounded so wrong to me. If you said."I bought a Nintendo today", I think most people would reply,"A Nintendo what?".

N-E-S. Is there some reason we're assuming the system's name is an acronym rather than an initialism? It seems like every "you wouldn't call a 'laser,' 'l-a-s-e-r'" could be met with a "you wouldn't pronounce CIA as 'see-uh.'"

gelf

N-E-S

Nintendo Entertainment System
not
Nintendoentertainmentsystem

Nationalaeronauticsandspaceadministration ;)

Really I think its fine either way, its amusing though how important this is to some people(assuming its not all sarcasm).

dose

No, but what's a L-A-S-E-R? It's been spelled laser (or Laser at the beginning of a sentence) in literature for decades. Not as the initialism - LASER. When you start spelling NES as nes, then you may have a point.
That's true, but when we talk about lasers today that's what it is short for. If you're going to be pedantic, see Joey's post for more.....
acronyms are pronounced as one word (NASA, NATO, WASP, AIDS, laser, scuba, etc.).
Do you say N-A-S-A or A-I-D-S?

Ysarus

I've never heard anything other than "En-ee-ess" from native English speakers, so I thought it was the only way. That said, I'm French, and I call it the "Ness". Most people would just say "Nintendo" back in the day though.

As for the SNES, "Super Ness" or Super Nintendo.

That's true, but when we talk about lasers today that's what it is short for. If you're going to be pedantic, see Joey's post for more.....

Do you say N-A-S-A or A-I-D-S?

Nope, and those would have been better examples than 'laser'. However my theory for why I think those are said as a singular word is because a lot of people don't know what they stand for. So saying them as initialisms feels weird. Like, if they're talking and say "A-I-D-S" then someone can ask them "What's that stand for?" then they go "uuuhhhh". So they say "Aids" as a word, so then that question doesn't arise.

DarkTom

French Gaffer here.

As a kid, me and other french kids was just calling it "The Nintendo".

Now me and most other french guys say "Ness".

The SNES is mostly called Super Nintendo especially back then, sometimes "Super Ness" nowadays.

mdtauk

UK here...

NES = Nez
SNES = Snez or Super Nez

Anything else just doesn't fit with my childhood experiences.

While we are at it.

Hyrule - High Rule
Hylia - High Leea
Hylian - High Lee-an

Nope, and those would have been better examples than 'laser'. However my theory for why I think those are said as a singular word is because a lot of people don't know what they stand for. So saying them as initialisms feels weird. Like, if they're talking and say "A-I-D-S" then someone can ask them "What's that stand for?" then they go "uuuhhhh". But if they say "Aids" as a word, so then that question doesn't arise.

Interesting, pretty sure I never knew what the e or s meant as a child (I didn't own one) so could hold some weight.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I play NES games. They were a leading NES publisher.

I love my N-E-S. Analogue NT is a $500 HDMI N-E-S.

That's what I do.

dose

Nope, and those would have been better examples than 'laser'. However my theory for why I think those are said as a singular word is because a lot of people don't know what they stand for. So saying them as initialisms feels weird. Like, if they're talking and say "A-I-D-S" then someone can ask them "What's that stand for?" then they go "uuuhhhh". So they say "Aids" as a word, so then that question doesn't arise.
I'm not sure that's the reason, but it is weird. No-one says 'hiv' for HIV yet I imagine a lot of people don't know what that stands for.

That's 100% not true. The acronym's would have been created for an easy way to say something, not because people didn't understand what it meant. Radar, for example, is also an acronym for radio detection and ranging, the acronym was created by the US government.

Are those even in doubt? What are the alternative pronunciations?

Hee-rule.
Hee-leah
Hee-lee-an

I guess.

Well quite simple I call it Nintendo :D And the SNES is Super Nintendo!

Easy as it gets in Germany :) Nintendos next platform should just be named Nintendo :D

r0xx

Neo Member
N-E-S and Super N-E-S as the canuck above. I live in the UK now but that's what we called it when I was a kid in Canada. (Nintendo and Super Nintendo as well)

From Ohio.

We called it N-E-S or just Nintendo. Never have I heard someone call it a Nez...it doesn't even make sense to me. Sounds terrible. I mean it's the Nintendo Entertainment System. N-E-S!!!!!!!

I'm not sure that's the reason, but it is weird. No-one says 'hiv' for HIV yet I imagine a lot of people don't know what that stands for.

I guess maybe people just stick to saying it as an initialism when it's only 3 characters, and a word when it's 4 or more. Can you think of any another 3 character acronyms said as a word? CIA, FBI, HIV, NSA, AKA, AFK, CRT, VGA, DVI, CPU. GPU ... all said by their individual letter. Meanwhile NATO, NASA, LASER, SCUBA, AIDS, ROFL, LMAO, WYSIWYG, ... are said more as a singular word before the individual characters.

Also I had trouble remembering 4+ character acronyms, so yes some of those examples are silly.

I guess maybe people just stick to saying it as an initialism when it's only 3 characters, and a word when it's 4 or more. Can you think of any another 3 character acronyms said as a word? CIA, FBI, HIV, NSA, AKA, AFK, CRT, VGA, DVI, CPU. GPU ... all said by their individual letter. Meanwhile NATO, NASA, LASER, SCUBA, ROFL, LMAO, WYSIWYG, ... are said more as a singular word before the individual characters.

Also I had trouble remembering 4+ character acronyms, so yes some of those examples are silly.

LOL, if we're going for that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
There's no vowel before the N in NES.

So? The /z/ sound in morphemic in English* occurs when it is attached to a lexeme ending in a lenis (voiced) sound. In this case, a vowel. It is not as far-fetched as you think to pronounce /nez/ by analogy with other native words, such as /sez/ ("says") or /feiz/ ("phase").

It would make no sense to pronounce a "liquid /s/" as /z/, though, so that's why you don't see any /znez/.

*i.e. the Saxon genitive [-'s], the third person singular of the Present Simple [-s], the contraction of "is" and "has" [-'s], and the plural [-s].

Sorry for the crummy phonetic transcription.

gelf

I guess maybe people just stick to saying it as an initialism when it's only 3 characters, and a word when it's 4 or more. Can you think of any another 3 character acronyms said as a word? CIA, FBI, HIV, NSA, AKA, AFK, CRT, VGA, DVI, CPU. GPU ... all said by their individual letter. Meanwhile NATO, NASA, LASER, SCUBA, AIDS, ROFL, LMAO, WYSIWYG, ... are said more as a singular word before the individual characters.

Do any people say G I F? I'd say its just based on what feels nice and easy to pronounce and that will vary based on local dialects.

PES or P-E-S
Always just said Pro Evo for that one. Pez sounds weirder to me then Nez..dunno why.

No, it's

still High-rule

Hill-ee-uh

Hill-ee-un

(pronounced as in "hysteria")

Well, that is how I pronounce them but I was just throwing some alternates out there.

I just remembered GUI is usually said "Gooey" as well.

Yeah, and also sometimes Gee-You-Eye. It just depends on the person, a lot of acronyms do apart from some standards. CIA, Radar, Laser, USA etc. It all comes down to is it easy to pronounce, gooey is easier for some to pronounce than GUI. NEZ also only has one syllable compared to three syllables in N-E-S, it's also easier to pronounce than NESS as a lot of English words ending in -es have that z sound. Clothes, lines, zones etc.

Top Bottom