• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES or N-E-S?

NES = Ness
SNES = Super Ness / Super Nintendo
Sega = See-Gah

AusGaf here

Interesting... US GAF here:

NES = N-E-S
SNES = S-N-E-S
Sega = Say-Gah (pronunciation first learned when booting up Sonic 1 on the Genesis for the first time)

English is actually my second language, and I find this acronym stuff to be all over the place. So while "USA" is U-S-A, something like NATO is "Nay-Toh," not "N-A-T-O". I could go on with a million examples where in some cases the acronym is pronounced as the individual letters, while in some others is pronounced as a word of its own.

s_mirage

I'm 32 years old and have never heard "Nez." "Nes," maybe, but not "Nez." That couldn't be further from being correct. Reading "Nez" is leaving me completely dumbfounded and somewhat angry. What the hell is that?

It's a single s, the s is hard. How do you say words like buses and trains? Busess and trainss? I can't speak for other parts of the world but, in my part of the UK at least, a short s tends to sound more like a z than a ss.

L.O.R.D

family computer ( from saudi arabia and middle east )
never found the original NES , only the famicom version and it had 2 sockets for controller not like the the famicom

53711aab372f4.jpg

tinders

How's that even possible when virtually every 16bit Sega game had the SEGA sound bit, right when you started the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpzH0WJ52kc

No idea. The first time I remember hearing the 'Say-Gah' jingle was House of the Dead Overkill. And by that stage 'See-Gah' was too burnt into my muscle memory.

I owned a lot of Sega products as a kid too. Had a Megadrive (Genesis) with dozens of games. Maybe the PAL releases didn't do the jingle?

The spanish pronunciation of NES.
Same with SuperNES and SEGA.
Basically saying the letter E as when you say "eh"

I'm curious. I'm from Spain and, as previously said, among my neighbors/friends/classmates, in the late 80s - first 90s, it was always 'la Nintendo'. I NEVER heard 'the NES' in any Spanish mouth until the Internet times.

'La SEGA' became 'la Master System' in the moment the Megadrive appeared.

cuilan

When I'm speaking English: NES = En Ee Es, SNES = Es En Ee Es/Super En Ee Es

When I'm speaking Spanish: NES = Nes/Nintendo, SNES = Super Nintendo (don't like saying Super Nes for some reason)

And Sega has always been Seh-gah to me.

Colombo

OK here is something weird! I Pronounced the NES 'En-E-Es' and bought video game magazines imported from the U.S but then went on to call SNES predominantly 'Super Nintendo' or 'SNEZ'. At the time i continued to buy mags from the U.S but my favourite SNES magazine was Super Play which was from the U.K. Weird or what?

BTW, I am from Australia.

EDIT - Still to this day, I pronounce Sega 'Sea-Ga' and have never heard an Australian say it the other way.

JDdelphin

N.E.S or just Nintendo.

It's the right way to live.

also- I'm from Western New York.

People saying ness just sounds like steamed hams instead of hamburgers to me

I'm curious. I'm from Spain and, as previously said, among my neighbors/friends/classmates, in the late 80s - first 90s, it was always 'la Nintendo'. I NEVER heard 'the NES' in any Spanish mouth until the Internet times.

'La SEGA' became 'la Master System' in the moment the Megadrive appeared.

La NES ive heard it A LOT, and I use it myself, not at the begginning when it was used la Nintendo (as you said), but just as the SuperNES was released, I used it to differenciate both when talking with someone about videogames, and that was before the internet, and same with people I know, they used la NES when the Super was released.
La Super Nintendo, or just La Super was also used.

La SEGA ive havent heard it in my whole life. Always La Megadrive, La Master System (or la sega master system)....

Sonofyama

Neo Member
US (east coast if it matters)

Always N-E-S and S-N-E-S.

Granted I was more a Nintendo fanboy, but my sister had a Sega, didnt games start with the logo and said Say-ga?

La NES ive heard it A LOT, and I use it myself, not at the begginning when it was used la Nintendo (as you said), but just as the SuperNES was released, I used it to differenciate both when talking with someone about videogames, and that was before the internet, and same with people I know, they used la NES when the Super was released.
La Super Nintendo, or just La Super was also used.

La SEGA ive havent heard it in my whole life. Always La Megadrive, La Master System (or la sega master system)....

Interesting! I bought the Master System in early 1988; I saw the NES before, but really never caught my attention. Sega did it way better, at least where I lived: the stands were 'full' of Master System material, while the NES was resting next to C64 and Atari and so.

In my school, when I said 'Tengo la Master System', not many knew what I was talking - there were the Spectrum and Amstrad days. But everyone knew there were two new gaming things, and they came from Nintendo and Sega; so they called them 'La Nintendo' and 'La Sega'. That was the very early days, I must say.

Then, in 1990, the Megadrive appeared; 'la Sega' was innapropiate, and there were A LOT more console gaming culture, so new forms of calling seemed natural: 'la Master System' and 'la Megadrive'. 'Sega' dissapeared.

In 1992 it came the SNES. I knew a lot of people with NES and SNES back in that days, but I really never knew one calling them 'la NES' or 'la Super NES': they were always 'la Nintendo', 'la Super' or 'la Super Nintendo'. You can even check the advertising or the Spanish gaming magazines. I just knew they were called NES and SNES in some places because I used to read CVG and other English magazines.

But maybe all was that way because we lived in a small region; maybe in Madrid or Barcelona the situation was different. Are you from Madrid or Barcelona?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I definitely don't hear anybody saying marry-o in there ;-)

How do you pronounce 'marry'? That's the problem with spelling out pronunciation, people pronounce words differently. The issue with the z at the end of NEZ and SNEZ has also confused some because I think some put too much emphasis on the zzzz when they read it so they think it sounds funny.

Mario says his name with a short 'a'. Lots of people incorrectly give it a long 'a'. Ma-ri-o rather than Mar-i-o.

N-E-S. Feels weird hearing other variations.

On habit, I'd say Super N-E-S, but I just say Super Nintendo.

Normally Seh-ga for SEGA.

Makes me wonder what people called the Nintendo 64, if other bizarre variations do exist.

GametimeUK

Nez for the NES and Snez for the Super Nintendo. (That doesn't mean S Nez, it's literally Snez as one word, one syllable).

Cosmonal

Neo Member
Huh, they actually say the number in Spanish? For some reason I expected it to be "Sixty Four," everywhere.

We say the number on our language too, there's no console called "sixty four" or "three sixty" for us :) Here in Brazil, the N64 is the "Nintendo Sessenta e Quatro" on all of its blurred texture glory ^_^

Also, when there's a loose letter on some name like "R-Type" we don't say "ahrr" we say "érre" (brazilian portuguese pronunciation for "R") and then proceed in english saying "Type" as you guys. It's a whole new game! :)

Lebon14

Unlike any of you, I say "Nin" and "Super Nin". Around the people I know, we always said that. Otherwise, I'd N-E-S because that's an abbreviation.

How do you pronounce 'marry'? That's the problem with spelling out pronunciation, people pronounce words differently. The issue with the z at the end of NEZ and SNEZ has also confused some because I think some put too much emphasis on the zzzz when they read it so they think it sounds funny.

Mario says his name with a short 'a'. Lots of people incorrectly give it a long 'a'. Ma-ri-o rather than Mar-i-o.

Yes I suppose you're right regarding the different pronunciation of words. But Charles Martinet is trying to fake an Italian accent for Mario, so the "a" is more like in the romance languages. Like "Mah-rio" but with a non-english a :p

But yeah, it's hard to spell out the pronunciation of words. Would really come in handy if I understood the phonetic alphabet lol

Top Bottom