• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix’s Death Note |OT| Hopefully this anime adaptation doe not take the L

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
fantastic thanks for the gif
If you're gonna post it somewhere use this version:
GenerousAdvancedKagu.gif

grimmiq

I'm fucking confused at L knowing Kira is in Seattle. Just seemed like writers went "hey we need to move this thing forward".

They skipped forward from
the 3rd kill to 400+, test kill on bully, revenge kill on mother's killer, and the showing off to the girl kill..They established that the guy is an impulsive, pathetic idiot so the writers expect you to assume he made some colossal fuckups.

This is great

It's not Death Note 1:1, but it's a completely different story with the same set up, that is, student finds a death note. Some names are the same, some are not, but this is great so far. This Light isn't Yagami, but so far he fits his character if that makes sense? He's his own character.(30 minutes in).

This is great

It's not Death Note 1:1, but it's a completely different story with the same set up, that is, student finds a death note. Some names are the same, some are not, but this is great so far. This Light isn't Yagami, but so far he fits his character if that makes sense? He's his own character.(30 minutes in).

Bout to finish it up and I told my wife if this was a story inspired by Death Note but didn't keep the same characters and weren't tied to the structure of L vs. Kira then I think this could work, but as it is I just don't see who this was made for.
All the characters break the molds they originally were in the manga and so fans have nothing to identify with except the names.

Umbooki

Light Turner is a goofy motherfucker, isn't he?
L isn't half bad.
Mia can kick rocks.
Ryuk should be utilized more.

I'm ready for the back half of this film.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm too scared to watch it. I just know that it's going to entirely miss the point of the original series.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm utterly baffled that Light casually revealed his secret to Mia
just because he horny. And what irritated me even further is that he did it on the grounds of it being something that "she of all people would want to see". What? Where the hell did he get that impression? I know that she showed some morbid curiosity in how that bully died,
but it's a big jump to go from there to you killing somebody for her...

This is garbage. Incredibly entertaining garbage.

This. This ain't nowhere close as good as the source material, but the concept still makes it entertaining nonetheless I suppose.

Bout to finish it up and I told my wife if this was a story inspired by Death Note but didn't keep the same characters and weren't tied to the structure of L vs. Kira then I think this could work, but as it is I just don't see who this was made for.
All the characters break the molds they originally were in the manga and so fans have nothing to identify with except the names.

This is how I see it.

The cultural difference in Light Y and Light T is simple.(I'm 40ish minutes in but I think I understand it.)

Light Turner as an American, is really centralized. As in, he's going for the 'Me' aspect. When Mia is put in, that is the 'us' aspect. Basically, a self-centered, selfish aspect. When he talks to Mia about creating a God, this is the antithesis to Lights way. And it fits. I know as an American, we love the sound of our own voice. And to think we could have such an impact, it makes sense that he heads down this path.

Light Yagami however, knows that the invisible hand is the stronger one. Light Yagami is a more reserved person. So from the start, his way is to simply mass murder people all the same way, IE heart attacks, because as he said it, even the stupidest people will realize there is something out to get them. Contrast it with Turner, who makes various criminals around the world write 'Kira'. This goes back to the self-centered aspect of Turner as an American.

In the way they kill people, it's obvious as well. Yagami chooses heart attacks, a silent and efficient way to kill people, whilst giving people he thinks are worthless things like disease or accidents. Turner kills them in bombastic ways. Decapitations, getting run over, blown up, etc. Again it goes back to that cultural different-Americans grow up around bombastic violence like that. It's a nuance that works.

So it's an adaptation in the loosest terms if you try to compare the two. But it works.
Because this story is about Turner and not Yagami, it's about an American student who has an ego but isn't respected, compared to a Japanese student who has an ego and is respected for it. After all, both societies, Japanese and American, treat 'nerds' like Light Y/T differently.

As for who it was made for..for the fans. That is, if the fans come into the story knowing that it's a different tale to tell.

Seijuro

I was looking forward to it when I thought this was a series. I realized very late (last week) that this is actually a movie. Hype deflated, I think the source material would lend itself much better to a tv series than a movie.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So, I cant watch it until in 5 hours.

How is it?
Five shots deep so very enjoyable. Very bad film tho. Gonna have to watch this with the friends. The changes to Ryuk are pretty fantastic tho, straight up horror vibes.

Tunahead

It's a shame this turned out to be such a shambles, because this clearly wasn't just a lazy adaptation. There were actual ideas for how to change things specifically to account for cultural differences, like Light no longer being a popular kid with good grades. They clearly changed that because those aren't positive qualities to Western audiences.

Top Bottom