• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix’s Death Note |OT| Hopefully this anime adaptation doe not take the L

Kindekuma

Banned
I came in with an open mind. But, what the hell? What? What was this casting? DaFoe was phenomenal, but so underutilized. Can someone explain the whole
Watari business? Was Watari treated as a full name or part of the alias? If it was his alias, why couldn't just writing L work?

Why is L such an emotional mess? Why a lot of things right now. I need to digest this.

DigitalImpeccableLemming.gif
Thats terrifying goddamn

Nightbird

terrible imo. directing isn't bad tho. Like the actual shots.

"But I warn you, there are four letters in my name. Most anyone's ever gotten were two."

D:

An entertaining mess.

Not finished yet, but so far...

giphy.webp

Bad introduction

Decent middle

Bad finale

Hilariously entertaining

Sadly no

It's an odd retelling of the original series that becomes a parody in the last 30 minutes.

Five shots deep so very enjoyable. Very bad film tho. Gonna have to watch this with the friends. The changes to Ryuk are pretty fantastic tho, straight up horror vibes.

I'm having conflicting feelings, but i also can't wait to see it for myself lol

LotusHD

Banned
I CAN'T SLEEP NOW BECAUSE I CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT. This could literally be the biggest plot hole I've ever seen in a movie.

I DON'T KNOW!

Also,
L being hella dramatic over Watari's disappearance is giving me life right now lmao

---

I'mma just look at this movie as a comedy, it works out so much better that way.

Yeah that finale and ending were pretty awful. And I agree that this movie was hilariously bad for the most part.

We did get to see a ridiculous, absurd gambit, reminding me why I dislike the anime. Not as ridiculous, but still very ridiculous haha.

I don't regret watching it. Light was awful, L and Ryuk were great, and that music... Wow.

Umbooki

I CAN'T SLEEP NOW BECAUSE I CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT. This could literally be the biggest plot hole I've ever seen in a movie.
It shouldn't work unless they
made his alias into his actual name. That's pretty silly, especially when you consider the nature of L and how his group gets shit done.

Shoutouts to a sleep deprived L joyriding a police cruiser, shoulder checking people, and mushing people in the face. His run was A1.

Kindekuma

Banned
I DON'T KNOW!

Also,
L being hella dramatic over Watari's disappearance is giving me life right now lmao

L being hella dramatic at all about anything is giving me life.
Leaving the ending ambiguous "Did L kill Light or not" because L had the emotional strength of used tissue the entire film is bogus.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Watched about 25mins and decided to check out the anime since it's also on Netflix. Watched the first episode and Light seems like a bit of a
psychopath, nothing like the dude in the movie

But 37eps means I guess I'm safe to watch the movie since it's most likely vastly different anyway (and spoilers don't really bother me in general).

Will go back to the anime after the movie.

LotusHD

Banned
Watched about 25mins and decided to check out the anime since it's also on Netflix. Watched the first episode and Light seems like a bit of a

But 37eps means I guess I'm safe to watch the movie since it's most likely vastly different anyway (and spoilers don't really bother me in general).

Anime ain't perfect either, but it's still a classic at the end of the day, def. prefer that Light, though I'm biased ofc

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
This sounds like a car crash, which is exactly what everyone expected since the first trailer.

I have to see it.

The movie avoids every major spoiler that I can think of from the anime. You're very safe watching both. The movie is something else lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Also not specific to this but it's funny how I have no problem with names like Light if it's anime or a comic or a game, but as soon as real people are involved, my brain struggles to accept it.

I'm having the same problem with Shadow Moon on American Gods.

It was pretty decent. This is more Adam Wingard retro horror style, than anything resembling anime. Fin-ote Death-stination if you will :p

Actually, I thought his style fit pretty well for this, with the synth/80s score, and the neon lighting. Some very good special effects, as well.

The guy from Get Out and Atlanta who plays L was pretty great. I thought it was missing some time with Ryuk, but Defoe was a great voice and facial capture. The 2 leads were eh, ok.

sappyday

I'm mixed as fuck. This feels like a Adam Wingward movie especially like The Guest. This is not a Death Note adaption. This feels like Wingward just used the premise to tell the story of two crazy sociopath high school kids. So those that love The Guest might really like this.

Even though It's obvious it isn't trying to be like the adaption at the same I don't think it knows exactly what it wants to be either.

I kind of wish this was just another Kira after the actual Light. Using the names of the manga characters and making them somewhat like their counterparts is only gonna piss off the fans that come im expecting a 1:1 adaptation.

In the end, this is something else. The anime/manga is by far the better product anyways and that's judging both by their own merits. OG Death Note has a legit great story, this does not. It has a lot more visual flare and style than the OG Death Note. The Anime had that soundtrack tho

LotusHD

Banned
Even though I know the source material, this is such a lame ass twist
with Mia being behind the unnecessary deaths.

Kindekuma

Banned
Even though I know the source material, this is such a lame ass twist
with Mia being behind the unnecessary deaths.

What a way to take an actual scene from the manga/anime and condense it down into like 15 seconds and make it mad disappointing despite being one hell of a cool section in the main franchise.

Icolin

Banned
My take: bland ass leads, Ryuk is the stuff of fucking nightmares, L is great, the visuals are cool, and the music is exceptional. The movie's mostly solid apart from the beginning scene, a few spots here and there in the middle, and that godawful ending. I'm eager for more.

LotusHD

Banned
What a way to take an actual scene from the manga/anime and condense it down into like 15 seconds and make it mad disappointing despite being one hell of a cool section in the main franchise.

Yea like, you'd have to be incredibly dumb to think that it was actually Ryuk killing those FBI agents and what not. So damn obvious it was her

This movie was worse than Dragonball and GitS, and possibly Street Fighter.

The only things I liked were Ryuk, the dad and how cool the death note looked. Light
was a bitch,
L
was an emotional crackhead,
and Mi
s
a
was fucking...I don't even know.

I guess it is a tolerable movie if you disassociate it from the source. So I guess maybe not worse than SF.

<end rant>

Renpatsu

The movie was funnier than I expected, but given the premise I'm actually glad they understood the inherent absurdity of a "Death Note". Overall impressions were mixed with regard to rushed pacing to set up the climax, but understandable. Anyone expecting the chess/cat and mouse/ mind games of the original will probably be disappointed because this film is far more interested in the personalities of the the characters involved.

Kindekuma

Banned
Yea like, you'd have to be incredibly dumb to think that it was actually Ryuk killing those FBI agents and what not. So damn obvious it was her

I really was hoping they actually played on
how people get killed after trying to write Ryuk's name in the note (even though it won't do anything). Wow, somehow after this big argument I had on what to do with my girlfriend the guys behind our troubles wind up dead? I wonder who could have done this!
Fuck off with that nonsense. It was so predictable it hurts.

LotusHD

Banned
26ffff6dd92fced8f5dd964ad1a3488f--margaret-qualley-the-leftovers.jpg

hmm might see this disaster just to see Jill from The Leftovers

*Ponder Emoji*

I don't know who this girl is, but she was awful in this. Only kind thing I can say is that compared to her anime/manga counterpart, she's a lot more independent and not a ditz at all. That said, it was not really an improvement... Like at all.

I really was hoping they actually played on
how people get killed after trying to write Ryuk's name in the note (even though it won't do anything). Wow, somehow after this big argument I had on what to do with my girlfriend the guys behind our troubles wind up dead? I wonder who could have done this!
Fuck off with that nonsense. It was so predictable it hurts.

Lmao

---

This movie is fucking hilarious

EDIT: My sides...

jerry113

Banned
The weakest element here is how a world-class detective like L would leave his real name available in a filing cabinet in his orphanage like that.

I like how this Light is able to
come up with that plan to save himself at the end in like one minute while under pressure (Being very Light Yagami like)...But throughout the rest of the film, he barely seemed to plan anything.

Overall it was a poor adaptation... But was strangely fun to watch?

Adree

I'm mixed as fuck. This feels like a Adam Wingward movie especially like The Guest. This is not a Death Note adaption. This feels like Wingward just used the premise to tell the story of two crazy sociopath high school kids. So those that love The Guest might really like this.

The A.V. Club review mentions that this film he didn't work with his normal screenwriter and it really shows. All the style is there but it is utterly lacking in what made The Guest amazing to me.

Died when it ended on a bunch of hot bloops

jerry113

Banned
Actually, weakest thing: there's no cat-and-mouse between Light and L at all. No mind games between the two at all. The movie devolves into a bizarre chase story in the third act.

This could've really used an additional 20 minutes. If only to flesh out the characters some more. It was in such a big rush the entire way through it felt like a giant exposition dump.

Oh sh*t I didn't know this was movie. Idk if I'll be into this, then. I can't think of a single story that condensed a long work of art into a movie, effectively.

Just finished it, it was fantastic. From the beginning I've known that personally I wasn't going to compare it to the anime in terms of story, this isn't the Ghost in the Shell movie where they try to adapt the setting, the characters, and the main story beats.

The book also had slightly different rules, which kinda peeved me, but I'm good.

On Light-
He's a punk ass kid. Not exactly spoiled, smart, but a bit of a bitch. He doesn't have an ego to the extent of Yagami, but it's still there and it's egged on by Mia. He also shows a bit more emotion towards others. Yagami was ready to kill and use his own father. This Yagami didn't.

On Mia-
Unlike Misa, Mia is a bit less about being obsessed with Light to the point of being his slave, but is more about the power of the death note. Like Misa,
she's reckless in that she kills without discrimination, except unlike Misa who did it before Light met her, Mia does it when Light tries to be intelligent and careful about killing the agents or Watari. I can't hate on this version of Misa, beats the originals submissiveness.
On L-
I liked this incarnation. He's not as meticulous or as subdued as Lawliet, he's definitely alot messier. But the main differentiation is that he considers Watari a friend. Lawliet considered Light as his first friend, and I feel that's why this one freaks out that Watari has disappeared. He's more emotional, and that's something Lawliet was missing. Yeah, the cool stoic detective works, but so does this one.

On the Dad-
They both serve the same means. Beacons of justice that care deeply about that justice, and have a love for their son. They both react the same when they find out that Light is being followed. The major difference here is that the dad finds out that his son is Kira-in the original he was relieved that his son wasn't Kira and was able to die peacefully. Not so much in this one, and I wonder if he has a hate for him after finding out? It certainly seemed like he was leaning that way towards the end.

Ryuk-
Not enough Ryuk. Probably the most straight adaptation to the whole cast, he's the equalizer between both versions of Death Note. They're both very off hands, and they both aren't direct to Light, IE in this one he doesn't deny that he wrote the agents names, but hints it was Mia, in the novel when they meet up with Naomi and Light writes her name, he just laughs and mocks Light when he gets it wrong. So they both have the same style of personality, and is the least changed. He even retains some of the humor.

Overall I enjoyed it, as its own thing. It didn't try to copy each beat of the Manga(And subsequently fail at it like so many adaptations have), but it was it's own things. If I were to recommend it to others, I would do it with the caveat that this movie is its very own thing and not a straight adaptation.

LotusHD

Banned
It quickly boils down to this

Lmao, pretty much

I haven't watched the movie yet, but to be fair to the movie, the manga feels a lot like that cartoon scene.

In the end, it's all about the execution, which this movie fucking sucked at lol

---

Welp, I finished. Woo boy, this was mediocrity at its finest. But it was such a unintentional comedy that it was infinitely more enjoyable than I thought it had any right to be. Outside of the Death Note and Ryuk, it gave no fucks about the source material, just completely did its own thing, and... it did not pan out well, my laughter (Then again, I laughed because of its awfulness) aside.

I take back what I said, Ryuk technically did not actually carry this movie, because well, he didn't get nearly as much screentime as I would've liked. That said, obviously still easily the best part of the movie.

Everyone else was awful. Well except for the dad, kind of? He was fine. L was cool too at first, but then they just completely jumped the shark in the last act. Even putting aside the part of me that obviously prefers that they'd strictly adhere to how L is in the source material, he acted in a way that was very unbecoming of someone that is supposed to be this private super detective.

Light, again, from the moment I heard him scream, I knew I wasn't going to like him. Ended up being right, as he was such a bitch; additionally, the actor was terrible for this role. That said, if you think about it, said bitchiness actually kind of got balanced out somewhat by his other half Mia, who was a lot more flippant about using the Death Note. And on a smaller note, he really could've been played by basically anybody else. In previous threads, people suggested that Light was being played by a white guy for a reason, but nah, there really wasn't any.

Not much else to say without going full "This should've been more like the anime!", but ya, it was okay... just for the wrong reasons. As others said, those last 30 minutes or so were a complete mess, albeit a hilarious one, it's almost like the movie stopped giving a fuck.

tomtom94

Last third is a let down, but I enjoyed the rest of the film.

Not quite sure why Wingard decided to turn it into Final Destination at points or the music choices, but it's so much better than what we could have gotten.

Top Bottom