• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces their upcoming anime slate - 7 Original shows for 2018 and more

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Baki's caught my attention, is it like the MMA version of Hajime No Ippo?

At the start but it gets profoundly ridiculous and over the top in short time. For example, one man basically single handedly ended the Vietnam war and subjugated the US presidents to the point that George Bush Jr was his valet. Another story arc is about the cloning of Miyamoto Musashi who is basically an unstoppable martial arts monster.

NastyBook

BAKI?????

Netflix won.
Baki's caught my attention, is it like the MMA version of Hajime No Ippo?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No, it's much, MUCH better.

It's an absolutely over-the-top martial arts masterpiece. Only 26 episodes, though? I hope it does well enough so Baki fans can get their
father/son imaginary tea ceremony.

Impressive lineup Netflix pushing Anime someome is a big fan there 😆

Plus Netflix Japan is filled with anime. They get almost every everything once the anime season is over. Too bad they don't translate for foreigners living in Japan. I'm trying to fight that battle now but I can understand due to liscensing issues.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yup. None of this is happening because they want to "fight" CR. CR is just going to be a casualty because they're not going to be able to compete on this level.

Unless AT&T has bigger plans, buys the remaining of Otter Media and it's assets (Crunchyroll, Fullscreen, among others) and mixes it with their Time Warner acquisition. Could be interesting.

Pepboy

So are they going after Crunchyroll or something?

I think this may just be trying to expand their market in Japan / SE Asia. They've already created a bunch of Asian Dramas if I recall correctly.

Of the anime, the only one that really sounds interesting was the Saint Seiya. I've tried rewatching the original series and it's definitely dated, but has some neat concepts.

Rafavert

Good stuff, promising!

But please Netflix, add some great anime to the Dutch Netflix as well. It's incredibly lacking compared to USA.

This! I think its affecting more European countries. Our selection in Portugal is rather poor too. Heck, we have Sinbad's Adventure, a Magi spinoff, but not Magi...

It's interesting that they're calling their Saint Seiya series "Knights of the Zodiac".

Imagine if Netflix brought back super campeones
I'd say that Saint Seiya/Caballeros del Zodiaco is way more popular in LATAM than Captain Tsubasa/Super Campeones. But both had new series that weren't all that popular in LATAM.

But it would still be a really smart move on Netflix's part to develop a new Captain Tsubasa or even a new Hungry Heart series.

Daingurse

Those who haven't seen it should check out the Baki OVA.

So good.

Which one? The original old one, or that little thing they put out last year? I hope the animation for this new show matches what they released last year for thhe Baki anniversary.

duckroll

Netflix x BONES. Could be really awesome.

As the resident BONES shill, I wish I could say it will definitely be awesome, but Kazuya Murata's track record on TV shows hasn't been the best. Both Gargantia and Kado had really interesting ideas but execution that left stuff to be desired. Hopefully AICO is more Gargantia than Kado though.

Now if only Netflix would fund a Masahiro Ando BONES movie called Stranger 2.... *cough*

Galang

Banned
Studio choices are ace actually, especially BONES. Compared to their attempts before it seems like they're learning.. Shame Berserk is in another studio's hands as I think it would have been a great choice for Netflix streaming considering the content. Maybe in 2019 we can see Claymore at least..

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm in the mood to watch an anime on Netflix. No waifus. Sci fi is a plus. Haven't watched anything consistently in almost a decade. Although I did watch and enjoy Castlevania recently.

What's the best available shows fitting those criteria? An easy watch too. I can't commit to anything that gets good after 100 epsidoes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm in the mood to watch an anime on Netflix. No waifus. Sci fi is a plus. Haven't watched anything consistently in almost a decade. Although I did watch and enjoy Castlevania recently.

What's the best available shows fitting those criteria? An easy watch too. I can't commit to anything that gets good after 100 epsidoes.

Try Knights of Sidonia. Maybe Kuro Mukuro.

WarRock

I am not seeing sideburns in that Devilman PV.

plz Netflix fund a Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer adaptation kthx
and a Linebarrels and a proper Getter Robo through Getter Robo Go too

Ascheroth

Blame! (it's only a single movie)
Kuromukoro (26 episodes, complete story)
Possibly Knights of Sidonia.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
No mention of Seasons 2 for Kuromukuro or Seven Deadly Sins makes me a sad lump of flesh.

Top Bottom