• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces their upcoming anime slate - 7 Original shows for 2018 and more

A new Grappler Baki series? Very unexpected. I hope they just jump into one of the later arcs and aren't trying to tell the story from the beginning.

Until Netflix and Amazon decide to start licencing the brand new shows themselves. When that starts then Crunchyroll will need to step it up another level.

Netflix and Amazon are already licensing brand new shows. It's not mentioned in the first post of this thread, but Netflix has the rights to Kakegurui and Fate/Apocrypha, both of which are airing in Japan at the moment and will be streaming on Netflix internationally at a later date. This batch is Netflix taking a new step into funding anime that will be entirely exclusive to their service, even in Japan. Meanwhile Amazon got quite aggressive with international licensing this summer season, especially with their new partnership with Sentai in the US. Amazon hasn't done too much funding of Amazon original anime so far (just some Shin-chan spinoff shorts), but they've partnered with major TV anime blocks in Japan, noitaminA and Animeism, to tie up the international distribution rights for all of those shows.

So I guess this means anime is mainstream. CR is fucked unless it's it starts putting money into its own anime series. I do not want to see CR get fucked as we need simulcast.

Funimation just got sold off to Sony in a massive 80 percent plus stake so it's going to either get rolled into a Sony service or go the way of the dinosaurs.

Anime is in a weird place. Pretty scary.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
This thread got me to get off my butt and renew my lapsed CR subscription, at least.

As I've said, I was at least being a bit silly in my first post. I'm sure these will be good or at least decent shows, and for fans of more action-oriented shows this will be great news. Hell, I'm subbed to Netflix so I'll check these out at some point.

i just need muh Iyashikei to live

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Holy shit, Saint Seiya. I mean it's no Saintia Sho, but I'll take it. Interesting that they're using the Knights of the Zodiac name, tho.

Also hopefully they'll release the whole season at once. <.<

The main problem with Netflix will always be having to wait for the whole season/series to be done just for them to put the episodes up. Makes it hard to legally watch along side with others who will just watch week or day of release.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
The main problem with Netflix will always be having to wait for the whole season/series to be done just for them to put the episodes up. Makes it hard to legally watch along side with others who will just watch week or day of release.

Netflix can do simulcast. Like they're doing for Rick & Morty over here, with a one week delay so what's the fucking point so if it's possible to do that it's possible to do for anime.

I read someone saying that perhaps it's down to dubs, Netflix not wanting to put up a show until they've dubbed it, unless they're not going to dub a show at all.

duckroll

Won't be a problem for these 7 shows. :)

If Knight of the Zodiac is being written by westerners isn't it like a Castlevania sort of situation where it isnt considered anime because the creative part is not in Asia?

shingi70

Banned
I'm just getting back into watching it, but anime is in a weird place right now. It seems like anime is the most mainstream it's been since the mid 2000s however at the same time it seems like it seems still niche.

duckroll

If Knight of the Zodiac is being written by westerners isn't it like a Castlevania sort of situation where it isnt considered anime because the creative part is not in Asia?

They are westerners hired by Toei to work on the series. The show is made in Japan.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Well good thing these series are premiering on Netflix so this won't be an issue at all.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Had my fingers crossed for Guyver entering this thread, but shit, I'll take Devilman for the time being.

There is apparently a new Guyver live action movie in the works, or at least there are rumblings about it and apparently the creator of the series is in on it.

TissueBox

Geez, 7 originals....ok Netflix, if you insist...

Will be interesting to see Netflix grow as an anime platform lol.

The studio that does Sidonia/Ajin/Blame is currently doing a Godzilla movie trilogy. The first one is in the OP. They will probably be busy for a while.

Shame, I really ended enjoying Ajin (mainly because the main bad guy is one of the best villains in an anime in a long time)

Yoooooo.....!

Baki as in Baki the Grappler???!!

I never watched the first two series because they looked and animated like shit.

G-Bus

Banned
Cool. Few of those I find interesting and I'm stoked to hear about Baki. Just started reading that a little while ago.

bd6d6ba6fdb45639f313a100e0b02f1e.gif

Saint Seiya day one

Kieli

Hopefully this conference spooked the corporation that owns Crunchyroll to re-hire back all those developers they fired and stop decreasing the bit-rate of the streams.

Glass Rebel

They should announce remakes for Knights of Sidonia, Blame and Ajin that remove the terrible CGI.

In any case, in for Devilman.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
The prospect of having anime that is editorialized or jointly written with western writers or with western audiences in mind is exciting, because it could get rid of some of the dumb shit in anime (fanservice, moe, dumb humour) while combining the best of western animation and writing.

However, I can't say I'm excited for anything here. More of a low-key/slice-of-life/sports anime person though (i.e. Mob Psycho, Silver Spoon, Haikyuu). Though if they'd make an adaptation of Vinland Saga as someone said I'd be excited as hell.

What mainstream non-original anime does Amazon/Netflix have? I'm not in the US region so it has basically nothing here.

7Th

Despite having some good picks, I still don't think Netflix or Amazon by themselves are a particularly big threat to Crunchy; the big problem is the sheer proliferation of streaming services itself. People won't be willing to have so many subscriptions to watch anime.

I wonder if Netflix will have enough clout to lessen some of the fanservice.

Did you watch the Gantz movie they partially funded?

Izayoi

Banned
Holy fuck, Netflix has been killing it with the originals lately.

Most of the stuff that Crunchyroll simulcasts is fucking garbage, to be totally honest. I mostly watch it out of sheer desperation and self-loathing.

I hope this keeps up. Really liked both Blame! and Castlevania.

Top Bottom