• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces their upcoming anime slate - 7 Original shows for 2018 and more

Netflix picked up Cannon Busters? Holy shit. I'm also intrigued by the new Baki adaptation. Remember getting the DVDs for the original series from Netflix back in the day.

Wonder whatever happened to that "Perfect Bones" show from Production I.G. that they announced like a year or two ago.

That got its title changed to B The Beginning, as listed in the OP.

duckroll

Yeah, realized after I posted when I saw the director was the same. Oops!

They also released the first images from the show to the press. I think they screened the trailer at the conference too but it hasn't been uploaded yet.

H1vgcoT.jpg

DiGiKerot

Don't really see this happening as CR simulcast its shows and Netflix airs at a much later date or releases all episodes at a later date like they did with LWA.

The anime industry is already well beyond pushing the limit on the amount of content it can produce, and that's unlikely to increase any time soon. There's basically a limit to how much anime can be produced at once, so anything, such as Netflix or Amazon, throwing around money for exclusive content, takes potential content away from Crunchy. Doesn't really help that they've also managed to alienate themselves from one of the largest US domestic content licensors in recent times as well.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I can't tell if you're being serious right now

Only partly. I enjoy shows like Cowboy Bebop, GITS, mecha stuff, etc. But comedy shows, SOL, and other stuff people call 'moeshit' are my lifeblood.

I do think it's good that Netflix are sponsoring more shows, I enjoyed Sidonia no Kishi (and need to get round to watching Blame! at some point) and think it can only be good thing.

But if this trend led to the death of services offering the kind of stuff I liked like YrYr, Milky Holmes, etc. then I would be deeply saddened.

aparisi2274

I would love if Netflix ordered some sort of remake of Gatchaman (aka. Battle of the Planets, aka G-Force). That was one of my favorite anime's as a kid back in the 80's and would love to see a new version of it, just like what Netflix did with Voltron.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Netflix continues to be the best 10 bucks a month you can spend on entertainment.

Yes. Basically. I cancelled my CR sub because, while not as good, NF was giving me enough to satisfy my anime fix the last few months.

Only partly. I enjoy shows like Cowboy Bebop, GITS, mecha stuff, etc. But comedy shows, SOL, and other stuff people call 'moeshit' are my lifeblood.

I do think it's good that Netflix are sponsoring more shows, I enjoyed Sidonia no Kishi (and need to get round to watching Blame! at some point) and think it can only be good thing.

But if this trend led to the death of services offering the kind of stuff I liked like YrYr, Milky Holmes, etc. then I would be deeply saddened.

I don't think there's really anything to worry about with Netflix killing other services, your comment just took my surprise as I quite frankly think there's a glut of SoL stuff as it is.

Robin64

The original Devilman anime was one of the first anime to really hit the UK. We had a TV station called Bravo, that saw itself as edgy and dark at times, and one of the things they would do is show anime late at night. Before this, there was basically nothing. (At this point most us still called it "manga", as most stuff shown had the Manga Entertainment logo and it was a word we'd heard)

We had Devilman, Akira, and a whole bunch of others I can barely remember now. (There was one with, like, bio-mechs and naval carriers?). Basically if it had gore or sci-fi or even both, Bravo would air it.

Very much looking forward to this.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
What I see here is Netflix going after the toonami/adult swim fans who crave intriguing storytelling and action and do not enjoy SoL nor moe shows. Crunchyroll is still safe considering that's what they like to promote more.

Netflix even made sure to point out the studios they've acquired for these shows. You don't put "from the studio that brought you ghost in the shell" for no reason, not to mention bringing back saint seiya and baki.

duckroll

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I would love if Netflix ordered some sort of remake of Gatchaman (aka. Battle of the Planets, aka G-Force). That was one of my favorite anime's as a kid back in the 80's and would love to see a new version of it, just like what Netflix did with Voltron.

That would be awesome!

Love the Voltron re-boot but the lack of the original iconic Voltron theme is a huge blow to it imho. Apparently the music is tied up with legal/rights issues and why Netflix/Dreamworks didn't license it. In other words, I think the rights holder for the music wanted too much money. Such a shame.

This: SO MUCH THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxNyh4lU8xo

convo

Baki? As in Grappler Baki? Isn't the manga just completely ridiculous in the best way?

The way muscles and raw strength are treated in the manga could rival jojo battles in how completly ridiculous things get especially later on in the series. Baki's dad might be an inspiration to all other shitty martial artist dads in videogames.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As long as some US blu rays come out for some of these down the line, this all sounds good.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Holy Shit BAKI!!!!!

tumblr_nnleu4jcvh1rsrplco1_500.gif

Not too sure about some of the rest but

Anything is better than Knights of Sidonia...what a waste of time that was

Top Bottom