• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces their upcoming anime slate - 7 Original shows for 2018 and more

Tuck

This is very exciting to see. Devilman looks cool. AICO looks... very anime =/

Hopefully at least some of them turn out decent.

duckroll

Is devilman going to adapt the original manga or the original anime?

"Faithful" adaptation of the original manga. 10 episodes, 25 minutes per episode. No censorship, no restrictions, no need to worry about TV guidelines. When they first announced it they said it will finally animate the original ending which has never been adapted before (loooooool). Yuasa is working with the same composer he did on Ping Pong, another great manga adaptation. It's going to rock.

JCG

Most of these 2018 shows are being made for Netflix, though - no TV broadcast, will be released straight to the service. They'll probably all be done in batches like most of their other original content.

Yes, but I imagine there's still a risk that maybe with some series they'll want to stream them in Japan first and not necessarily simultaneously everywhere else.

Odoul

Sirene!
noah.png

Assuming the chances of the nudity and violence matching the 80/90's series is zero.

Which is kind of ok with me because some of that stuff.

Yikes.

duckroll

Yes, but I imagine there's still a risk that maybe with some series they'll want to stream them in Japan first and not necessarily simultaneously everywhere else.

Everything announced as a Netflix Original today is streaming worldwide at the same time in 60000000 languages (sub and dub).

Come on Duckroll, if they have trailers put them, even if they aren't new:

Yes, my master.

DiGiKerot

New Baiki anime? Interesting, hopefully I'll be violent as hell since it's on Stream and not on TV.

CR will need to start spending money Co-Producing anime, thus locking down on anime for their site. Do they have the funds to do that though? As for Netflix cool to see them investing in Anime, so far stuff I'm willing to watch (non moe stuff). Would love for a hard scifi/Cyber Punk anime ala Bubblegum Crisis. There was Blame, hoping for more similar stuff.

Crunchyroll already do throw down co-production money on shows, for what it's worth.

Sirene!
noah.png

Assuming the chances of the nudity and violence matching the 80/90's series is zero.

Which is kind of ok with me because some of that stuff.

Yikes.
Dude. Have you watched some Netflix shows? They don't shirk from adult content.

God I hope CR have the JoJo license on lock for a decade.

Otherwise, aside of their 'release all at once months after the fact' model being kinda annoying, it's interesting to see Netflix put some major money into reviving classic IPs. Wonder if they were inspired by what was done with Lupin.

Dude. Have you watched some Netflix shows? They don't shirk from adult content.

Seriously, Castlevania.

Sulik2

Voltron and Castlevania have been very solid. If Netflix is getting into anime that is not just loaded with fan service to interest the western audience more I am all for it.

"Faithful" adaptation of the original manga. 10 episodes, 25 minutes per episode. No censorship, no restrictions, no need to worry about TV guidelines. When they first announced it they said it will finally animate the original ending which has never been adapted before (loooooool). Yuasa is working with the same composer he did on Ping Pong, another great manga adaptation. It's going to rock.
Is the manga really that short? I thought it was longer than that

Mistle

whoa, these look pretty decent?

i can't remember the last time i clicked an anime thread and had that reaction haha. i ain't a hater, just long for anime that isn't... y'know

gun_haver

Voltron and Castlevania have been very solid. If Netflix is getting into anime that is not just loaded with fan service to interest the western audience more I am all for it.

Yeah I think a little western influence in some animation not intended primarily for kids would be a good thing. I'll keep an eye out to see if any of these turn out good, I don't normally watch anime but I like animation and genre stuff so hopefully they are good.

I'm sold.

Wag

I can live without all the moe/harem/fanservice garbage. Just give me good drama/sci-fi, that's what anime does best.

Wag

I still need to watch the original Saint Seiya. Is it available in HD somewhere or is it remastered?

wow, i am actually interested in some of these. nflx is PUMPing out original content. happy for them. i'm definitely expecting a price bump in the next 2-4 years. which i'll gladly pay.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
YOOOOOOOOO Saint Seiya Remake?

Original soundtrack or bust

They should put the original series + Hades available as well.

Why is Netflix creating series from bizarre source material/from scratch, when they could be adapting things like Berserk, Vinland Saga, Inuyashiki, or any of Urusawa's works

lupinko

God I hope CR have the JoJo license on lock for a decade.

Otherwise, aside of their 'release all at once months after the fact' model being kinda annoying, it's interesting to see Netflix put some major money into reviving classic IPs. Wonder if they were inspired by what was done with Lupin.

Seriously, Castlevania.

Actually Netflix already has JoJo for Japanese Netflix, that could change in the future worldwide.

Uzzy

I can live without all the moe/harem/fanservice garbage. Just give me good drama/sci-fi, that's what anime does best.

Damn right. If this is what Netflix is going to bring to the table, then I welcome it, even if it kills simulcast in the process.

Nephtis

I want to see Saint Seiya so bad because I am a huge fan of it. But it won't be the same without Furuya Toru and Jesus Barrero. My heart will break :(

Netflix picked up Cannon Busters? Holy shit. I'm also intrigued by the new Baki adaptation. Remember getting the DVDs for the original series from Netflix back in the day.

Wonder whatever happened to that "Perfect Bones" show from Production I.G. that they announced like a year or two ago.

DiGiKerot

Why is Netflix creating series from bizarre source material/from scratch, when they could be adapting things like Berserk, Vinland Saga, Inuyashiki, or any of Urusawa's works

What's wrong with having anime-original content? Most manga and light-novel readers only seem to complain incessantly about their anime adaptations anyway! :)

Really great studio line up for those releases surprised to see Cannon Busters on it. This was a Kickstarter pilot by Le Sean Thomas he never released it outside of the backers.

Mr Git

Netflix continues to be the best 10 bucks a month you can spend on entertainment.

Considering in the UK they've now got Champloo and Bebop I'd definitely agree. Really enjoyed their originals too - Ajin and Blame were brilliant.

Top Bottom