• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Slacker

How is Death Note for someone who is unfamiliar with the source material?

I was unfamiliar with the source material and thought it was shit, but I don't think unfamiliarity was the problem. I felt like it was a rushed jerky mess in general. Definitely could have used the slower pacing a series would bring, though this cast would still be terrible.

Friends From College, Naked, What Happened to Monday, Death Note... Netflix not doing it for me lately.

Ravelle

I liked the live action Japanese movie and I think I'll keep it at that. I have the complete anime dvd collection too so I'm good.

How is Death Note for someone who is unfamiliar with the source material?
Honestly I'm watching the anime right now on Netflix and it's pretty good so far. Check it out

Haven't watched the live action yet. Try atleast the first two eps, I wasn't expecting it to be this good.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Behind the Cove: The Quiet Japanese Speak Out (Doc, Social, Foreign)
Berlin Syndrome (Thriller)
Commandos Season 1 (TV, Doc)
Death Note (Horror, Supernatural, Netflix Original)
Disjointed Part 1 (TV, Comedy, Netflix Original)
Dragons: Race to the Edge Season 5 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
Once Upon a Time Season 6 (TV, Fantasy, Drama)
Pekak (Drama, Foreign)
Saving Sirga: Journey into the Heart of a Lion Season 1(TV, Doc, Nature)

Honestly I'm watching the anime right now on Netflix and it's pretty good so far. Check it out

Haven't watched the live action yet. Try the atleast the first two eps, I wasn't expecting it to be this good.

Keep in mind there is a live action tv series filmed in japanese, not to be confused with the US English movie. The live action tv series can be found on crunchyroll though not on netflix.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finally got around to finishing up Last Chance U S2. Miss Brittany makes the show for me. She has such passion and care for those students. It is remarkable to see the level of commitment she has. It was
sad to see her leave. Wish her all the luck in the world with her company.
Also sucks about Wood. I liked that guy a lot.

Good season. I look forward to the change of schools.

kevin1025

Banned
btw, why does Netflix not allow users to see a handy list of things they've already watched?

I don't know about on console or app, but in a web browser, under Account, it's listed as Recent Activity! But it's by individual episode and movie, so it can be a massively long list. Plus sometimes there's the Watch It Again queue, but that isn't permanent and can be random with what it shows.

It would be a good feature to have as a menu option, though, I'd like that.

Ok, just watched death note. It's no replacement, which is a good thing. It's a very different story. Has some of the same concepts. Many fall short of the older materials. But, it is a little fresh.

It's no substitute but it was okay and pretty watchable. If you like it, try the anime.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix has made its own weed based off of Netflix Originals:

hYaHlgl.jpg

NnV2zmH.jpg

Thanks to Netflix I now know the absolute lowest tier Supernatural, Conspiracy, etc show out there.
"Top 10 Secrets and Mysteries" is hilariously bad, its like a damn YouTube list video and even worse is straight up factually wrong.

They literally took video clips of Josh Gates(Destination Truth, Expedition Unknown) and labelled him as someone else entirely.

It is hilarious.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thanks to Netflix I now know the absolute lowest tier Supernatural, Conspiracy, etc show out there.
"Top 10 Secrets and Mysteries" is hilariously bad, its like a damn YouTube list video and even worse is straight up factually wrong.

They literally took video clips of Josh Gates(Destination Truth, Expedition Unknown) and labelled him as someone else entirely.

It is hilarious.

Lower than Unsealed: Conspiracy Files and Unsealed: Aliens Files?! I don't believe you lol

I can't believe What Happened to Monday isn't getting more hype. Loved the hell out of this movie. I don't want to bump the 31-post thread that was made, because I was the last person that posted, A WEEK AGO :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Watched two eps of The Crown and it seems pretty good aside from the unimaginative "dunDUNdunDUNdunDUNdunDUN" tension music.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I can't believe What Happened to Monday isn't getting more hype. Loved the hell out of this movie. I don't want to bump the 31-post thread that was made, because I was the last person that posted, A WEEK AGO :(

Had no idea it was out, I liked the trailer

edit: for whatever reason its not out in my region (Portugal), thats why I missed it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I saw it two days ago and I agree, I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the film. It was a good sci-fi thriller. Noomi Rapace did an outstanding job. All the characters felt different and unique.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

3 Generations (Drama, LGBTQ)
Menorca (Indie, Drama)
Buster's Mal Heart (Indie, Thriller)
Madre (Thriller, Foreign)
The Hippopatamus (Comedy)

Lower than Unsealed: Conspiracy Files and Unsealed: Aliens Files?! I don't believe you lol

LOL I know it seems crazy but it actually is.

My reaction to it was funny as well. They were talking about Bigfoot/Yeti and it says "Trekker Steve Berry photographed tracks possibly belonging to the Yeti"
literally over that news conference footage Josh Gates had back around the time of Destination Truth.

I was like WTF maybe they are just using separate cases as time is short...
it then immediately cuts to a canned 1on1 interview with Josh Gates and lists "Steve Berry - Trekker"

Also as bad as those other shows can get at least they are full of "content" regardless of its factual nature.

Slacker

I thought it was OK but to me it's one of those movies where there's very little to talk about afterwards. Going in I was hoping for more suspense/mystery and less superhero action.

tomtom94

I saw it two days ago and I agree, I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the film. It was a good sci-fi thriller. Noomi Rapace did an outstanding job. All the characters felt different and unique.
I feel like Netflix weren't expecting it to be a success, so they buried it (releasing it the same day as Defenders and a week before Death Note, both of which got much more attention and publicity) which is now backfiring.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I feel like Netflix weren't expecting it to be a success, so they buried it (releasing it the same day as Defenders and a week before Death Note, both of which got much more attention and publicity) which is now backfiring.

seems like pretty typical advertising for netflix all around. they tweet some stuff and put out a trailer or two. i personally don't see that much marketing from them. release date doesn't matter as much on netflix as say a theatrical release

tomtom94

seems like pretty typical advertising for netflix all around. they tweet some stuff and put out a trailer or two. i personally don't see that much marketing from them. release date doesn't matter as much on netflix as say a theatrical release

Defenders has been on pretty much every Youtube video I've watched for the last month, so it does vary.

And it doesn't matter as much, but it's more about the oxygen of publicity. It's gaining a good reputation, but it seems to be doing so slowly... because not many people have actually watched it. And the number one reason for that would seem to be that Defenders had everyone's attention (and the marketing team for that series deserve a lot of credit).

But then Netflix's entire strategy for their movies doesn't really make sense to me, so I guess I'll just try and enjoy what I can.

Slacker

Watching the Death Note anime series on Netflix now after being intrigued by the premise from the movie.

First ten or so episodes: "Man this is actually pretty good, maybe I've unfairly judged anime all these years."

Misa is introduced: "Nevermind."

Watching the Death Note anime series on Netflix now after being intrigued by the premise from the movie.

First ten or so episodes: "Man this is actually pretty good, maybe I've unfairly judged anime all these years."

Misa is introduced: "Nevermind."

lol

I think most people react this way to the series, but for different reasons. Starts great... gets a little... eh... picks up again at one point though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I took a second watch of deathnote, I actually think it's pretty good set up for a sequel.

edit:
Now watching the anime again, at least half focused. It's immediately obvious that the character in the anime is 10x better than the movie. If the movie does get a sequel, I think they can redeem it still. At least in terms of the main character. I don't mind if he starts more naive if he later becomes the character he is in the anime in movie 2.

b3b0p

I enjoyed the Death Note Netflix movie for what it was. I liked the different take and the ending was better than the anime in my opinion.

The anime was great too, but should have been ended about half way through. It dragged on and lost it (at least me). Not saying it's bad. Far from it.

The movie was fun, it was entertaining. It wasn't trying to be a remake, which I think people misunderstand. I'm glad it's different. Otherwise, it would just be the same old thing and not been interesting. It would have been predictable.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Trailer for Long Shot

Documentary about a dude that was arrested for a murder he did not commit, and to prove it, his defense team used footage from a episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm that Larry David had filmed at the baseball stadium the defendant said he was at watching a game at the time of the murder.

Crazy.

and Trailer for Heroin(e), a documentary about, well... heroine :(

specifically about helping heroine users, so at least it seems more upbeat than what the subject matter would usually entail

statham

What Happened to Monday

6.2 outta 10, never felt like a family, which was the whole point IMO. can't say anything else without giving away plot.

What Happened to Monday

6.2 outta 10, never felt like a family, which was the whole point IMO. can't say anything else without giving away plot.

Thought it was solid. Just finished watching it earlier today. 3.5/5.

Maybe because my expectations for these Netflix Originals aren't very high, maybe because I liked the premise and the moral dilemma it addresses, maybe because of a pretty strong performance from Rapace... shrug... I liked it.

kevin1025

Banned
Trailer for Long Shot

Documentary about a dude that was arrested for a murder he did not commit, and to prove it, his defense team used footage from a episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm that Larry David had filmed at the baseball stadium the defendant said he was at watching a game at the time of the murder.

Crazy.

specifically about helping heroine users, so at least it seems more upbeat than what the subject matter would usually entail

Netflix grabbing up a lot of the big film festival movies is super cool, it means a lot more people potentially watching them. Both of these look fantastic.

I also never even knew about Mindhunter until today, and holy hell I want that show immediately. Wormwood looks really good, too!

fenners

Trailer for Long Shot

Crazy.

Those both look ridiculously good. Thanks for the heads up.

I enjoyed the Death Note Netflix movie for what it was. I liked the different take and the ending was better than the anime in my opinion.

The anime was great too, but should have been ended about half way through. It dragged on and lost it (at least me). Not saying it's bad. Far from it.

The movie was fun, it was entertaining. It wasn't trying to be a remake, which I think people misunderstand. I'm glad it's different. Otherwise, it would just be the same old thing and not been interesting. It would have been predictable.

People probably thought they'd get a movie they could show their friends to show how great deathnote is. In reality, you'd never get that. IIRC there is a japanese live action movie that was bad too, although I rather enjoyed the live action tv series they made from what I saw of it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Boy Name Flora A Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
A House of Blocks Season 1 (TV, Horror, Foreign)
Aakhri Adaalat (Action, Foreign)
Ali (Drama)
All About Love Season 1 (TV, Horror, Foreign)
Amores Perros (Thriller, Foreign)
Barefoot in the Park (Romantic, Comedy)

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc II - The Battle for Doldrey (Anime)
Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III - The Advent (Anime)
City of God (Drama, Foreign)
Concrete Football (Doc, Sports, Foreign)
Dead Poets Society (Drama)
Deconstructing Dani García (TV, Doc, Food, Foreign)

Deep Blue Sea (Action)
Ek Jaan Hain Hum (Drama, Romantic, Foreign)
Final Fantasy XIV Dad of Light Season 1 (TV, Anime, Netflix Original)
Fracture (Thriller)
Gangs of New York (Drama)
Gbomo Gbomo Express (Drama, Crime, Foreign)

Gone Baby Gone (Thriller)
Greenberg (Comedy, Romantic)
Hercules (Family)
High Risk Season 1 (TV, Doc, Cultural)
Hitch (Romantic, Comedy)
Hoodwinked (Family)
Hotel for Dogs (Family)

InuYasha: The Movie: Affections Touching Across Time (Anime)
InuYasha: The Movie 2: The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass (Anime)
InuYasha: The Movie 3: Swords of an Honorable Ruler (Anime)
InuYasha: The Movie 4: Fire on the Mystic Island (Anime)
Invasion 1897 (Drama, Foreign)
Jaws 1-4 (Thriller, Bigger boats)
Khoon Khoon (Thriller, Foreign)

Lego Elves: Secrets of Elvendale Seaosn 1 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
Little Evil (Comedy, Horror, Netflix Original)
Lorai: Play to Live (Drama, Sports, Foreign)
Love Through a Millennium 2 (TV, Romantic)
Lunch Time Heroes (Drama, Foreign)
Mammal (Drama)
Maniac Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Drama)

Margot at the Wedding (Indie, Comedy)
Mulan (Family)
Narcos Season 3 (TV, Drama, Foreign, Netflix Original)
Naruto Shippuden: Blood Prison (Anime)
Naruto Shippuden: The Movie: The Lost Tower (Anime)
Naruto Shippuden: The Will of Fire (Anime)
Naruto the Movie 2: Legend of the Stone of Gelel (Anime)
Naruto the Movie 3: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom (Anime)
Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow (Anime)

Prisoner Zero Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Pulp Fiction (Thriller)
Requiem for a Dream (Drama)
Resurfact (Doc, Sports, Netflix Original)
Rocco (Doc, Bio)
Shaq & Cedric the Entertainer Present: All Star Comedy Jam (Standup)
Shaquille O'Neal Presents: All Star Comedy Jam: Live from Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas, Orlando, South Beach (Standup)

She's Gotta Have It (Romantic, Comedy)
Shooter (Thriller)
The B-Side: Elsa Dorfman's Portrait Photography (Doc)
The Chase (Drama)
The Distinguished Citizen (Comedy, Foreign)
The Drowning (Thriller)
The Electric Horsemen (Drama, Romantic)

The Guardian Brothers (Family, Foreign)
The Last Shaman (Doc)
The Lost Brother (Crime, Drama, Foreign)
The Rugrats Movie (Family)
The Secret Garden (Family)

The Squid and the Whale (Comedy, Drama)
The Village (Thriller)
Toast of London Season 1-3 (TV, Comedy)
Todo Sobre el Asado (TV, Doc, Food, Foreign)
We Are Not Alone (Horror, Foreign)
West Coast Customs Season 5 (TV, Reality)
When Love Happens (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Who the Fuck is that Guy? (Doc, Bio, Music)

Top Bottom