• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's The Get Down is is one of the most expensive series in TV history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
Article

Trailer

$120 million for 12-episode season, the first half premieres Aug. 12

Directed by Baz Luhrmann

An inside joke on the set of Baz Luhrmann’s “The Get Down” proposed an alternate title for the new Netflix series. Because the troubled production had started, stopped, and stalled so many times as scripts were written, tossed, and rewritten, some writers had taken to calling the show “The Shut Down.”

Over the two-and-a-half years since the hip-hop-focused project was set up at Netflix, Luhrmann went through two showrunners, numerous writers, and no small amount of strain with producer Sony Pictures Television. Production of the 12-episode season, the first half of which premieres Aug. 12, went well over the original budget of about $7.5 million per episode and wound up costing at least $120 million overall, with New York state tax incentives factored in, according to sources.

In an interview with Variety, Luhrmann revealed that he was so overwhelmed by the process that he briefly considered abandoning “The Get Down.” The iconoclastic director of music-driven films such as “Moulin Rouge” went into the project expecting only a light level of involvement after getting “Get Down” on its feet.

more in the Article

- to compare, Game Of Thrones' Season 6 costs approximately $100 million to produce

Marco Polo was the last big expensive series from Netflix and season 2 recently came out, you probably didn't even know

harSon

Banned
Don't typically like films like this, nor do I care for the director, but I'm going to tune in for the subject matter and era alone.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Never heard of this show but man that trailer and concept got me interested. But odd to see where all the money went

And executive produced by nas ? Damn

bengraven

Damn, this looks really damn good already, price or not.

Would have rather they spent that much money on something like a true adaptation of I Am Legend or Assassin's Apprentice, but the show itself looks fucking great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait the first half? thats a first for netflix no?

sappyday

The trailer didn't really give me a vibe as to why it needs that big of a budget. The premise sounds great but that budget could go to the more effects heavy show like Stranger Things.

berzeli

Banned
For people wondering how it cost so much, read the article. Admittedly the op buried the lead, the article is about how the production was a mess. The price tag is a bug not a feature.

And based on what I saw on twitter today, my expectations sank even further from the rough looking trailer.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
[Shawn] Ryan assembled a writers’ room that was up and running in L.A. for a few months in mid-2014. Luhrmann still felt he was in “uncle” mode, going in and out to check on the topline progress. By the fall, he was unhappy with the work that had been done and decided the enterprise needed to move to New York City for authenticity’s sake. Ryan had no intention of making the move to New York and parted ways with the project by the end of the year.

“At that stage I didn’t really understand how it all worked. I took it on face value,” Luhrmann says. “I would visit, and there seemed to be a lot of people in the room, but after X amount of months, not a lot had happened.”

As the production re-established itself in New York in early 2015, Thomas Kelly, a novelist and TV veteran (“Copper”), was enlisted as the new showrunner to work alongside Luhrmann. But his hard-boiled style proved a bad fit with Luhrmann’s approach. He left a few months after filming began that summer.

Luhrmann essentially became the showrunner. By multiple accounts, he and his wife and collaborator, Catherine Martin, who has won four Oscars for production and costume design on her husband’s films, were exacting in what they liked and what they didn’t.

Luhrmann had initially envisioned the project as a feature but saw its potential to unfold over the long arm of a TV series. Nevertheless, his unfamiliarity with the episodic TV production process showed from the start, according to sources who faulted Luhrmann for failing to heed the counsel of seasoned veterans and for showing a lack of regard for the skills needed to pull off a big-budget drama series.
A guy with no television experience who demands his precise vision touch every element, but thinks he can oversee the writers and production from a distance. What could go wrong?

Luhrmann says his hope is that he can return to being “Uncle Baz” in season two, relinquishing control to a new showrunner. “I believe the particular techniques we’ve developed for this show can be passed on to a new team,” he says.
He didn't learn a damned thing.

dejay

Banned
Literally saw the ad for this about 2 hours ago on youtube - the fact that I didn't skip it after five seconds gives me some hope. I was wondering who was directing it.

Baz has been known to go over budget on film as well.

I put him and Inarritu in the same category as fucking wack ass directors

At least Baz has the stones to turn shit like The Great Gatsby into a fucking absurd fever dream, Inarritu just sits and lets the Academy jerk him off

jett

D-Member
That is really insane. I'll watch it out of curiosity, since I'm not particularly fond of Luhrman.

A guy with no television experience who demands his precise vision touch every element, but thinks he can oversee the writers and production from a distance. What could go wrong?

He didn't learn a damned thing.

Is there going to even be a season 2 after this mess?

zma1013

The trailer didn't really give me a vibe as to why it needs that big of a budget. The premise sounds great but that budget could go to the more effects heavy show like Stranger Things.

The budget looks like it's going into trying to recreate the look of that era. That and all the problems ballooning the budget.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is there going to even be a season 2 after this mess?
Who knows. That's just his hope if the renewal comes. I guess splitting the first season up lets Netflix and Sony delay that decision.

After watching the trailer, I have no idea how it could have cost that much, and that's AFTER tax incentives, which is even crazier. Netflix needs to either start hiring some competent production accountants or get some hardcore enforcer line producers to prevent ridiculous financial indulgences like this. Were they just super behind schedule?

Amagon

I put him and Inarritu in the same category as fucking wack ass directors

At least Baz has the stones to turn shit like The Great Gatsby into a fucking absurd fever dream, Inarritu just sits and lets the Academy jerk him off

This is probably the most stupidest shit I read all day.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Did they spend that money on coke?

I should have said, spending it on coke would have been wiser.

Reallink

I'm sure $2 price hikes to make some kind of frivolously expensive Disco/Break Dance series will make a lot of people happy.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
im so excited for this it's stupid

24GgtoI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom