• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's The Get Down is is one of the most expensive series in TV history

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHC

Not really surprised, Baz Luhrmann is incredibly gaudy and tacky. The trailer looks mildly decent but I'm fully expecting this to be overdecorated crap, like all his other stuff

kurahador

Urghhh...for a freaking period drama musical? Could've used that money on Stranger Things CG.

Between this and HBO's Vinyl, seems like american musicians are a bunch of swindlers.

golem

It looks cool, but damn, Netflix must have CASH. I thought their profit margins were pretty thin.
Nah, theyre making money hand over fist, $2.11B last quarter

Subscriber additions have slowed down a bit though, so new enticing content will probably still be their main focus

Salsa

Luhrmann is a better writer than he is a director

he's only directing 3 eps

I guess I get some of the hate but I think it looks great. It's clearly played up to almost moulin rouge levels, but I think it can set it apart

Aurongel

Luhrmann splurging on production costs should come as no surprise to anyone. This is a man who has made a career on making incredibly decorative and bejeweled pieces of shit.

I wonder who they thought the target audience was. Even at the previous 7.5 million an episode, who are all these people who want to watch this show for 12 episodes? It's not Lost or 24.

Roo

Interesting.
As far as I know, Sense8 was currently among (if not THE) most expensive Netflix shows out there.

Jzero

Doesn't look like my type of show at all but i'll give the first episode a watch when it's out.

element

This looks terrible. $120m AFTER tax rebates? What on earth did they spend the money on? Not the actors. Not the sets (from the trailer). Looks like they just burnt it. I'm not sure if the Baz formula would work as a 12 episode show. It works well as a extravagant two hour song and dance number, but 12 hours, not sure.

Good thing Netflix can burn money, Adam Sandler
Sandler movies on Netflix will probably be significantly more profitable!

I put him and Inarritu in the same category as fucking wack ass directors

At least Baz has the stones to turn shit like The Great Gatsby into a fucking absurd fever dream, Inarritu just sits and lets the Academy jerk him off

I dont like either director at all but there are moments of brilliance in Romeo and Juliet and the revenant

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I put him and Inarritu in the same category as fucking wack ass directors

At least Baz has the stones to turn shit like The Great Gatsby into a fucking absurd fever dream, Inarritu just sits and lets the Academy jerk him off
Bronson. Preach.

I'm biased since I don't really care for musicals, but man... I hope the budget ends up being worth it. When a lot of that money is inevitably going to things that happened behind the scenes, I guess i'm not too surprised at the discrepancy between what I'm seeing in the trailer and where the $120 mil went.

vern

I wonder who they thought the target audience was. Even at the previous 7.5 million an episode, who are all these people who want to watch this show for 12 episodes? It's not Lost or 24.

I sure would people would rather watch something like this than 24, probably the stupidest show my brother ever forced me to watch with him. At least this looks somewhat original and should have good music. Though I won't watch it, don't have Netflix.

I'm looking forward to it. I should really make some time to binge Stranger Things too.

My wife and I are 5 episodes in, and it's great so far. I love the whole 80s vibe as well (the intro is great, and I love the font - seriously!). Should finish it in the next couple of days.

If Netflix is prepared to spend these kind of budgets I'd really like to see them work on a massive sci-fi epic a la GoT.

Decado

My wife and I are 5 episodes in, and it's great so far. I love the whole 80s vibe as well (the intro is great, and I love the font - seriously!). Should finish it in the next couple of days.

If Netflix is prepared to spend these kind of budgets I'd really like to see them work on a massive sci-fi epic a la GoT.

Definitely this. Or even another historical epic or fantasy show. Hell, fund Mel Gibson's Berserker film. I hope their Altered Carbon series is awesome.

While I'm personally interested in the show, the budget for it film just seems out of wack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom