• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never been to the US before, going to NYC in April, need some tips.

So long story short me and my best friend are going over on April 4th to the 8th for the ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard at Madison Square Garden. We will also be attending Wrestlecon and at least three other events in addition to the G1 Supercard.

Need some tips on good places to go, and the places to stay the hell away from.

We will flying into JFK, and If I have this right, we get the AirTrain to Queens, then the E train to where our hotel is. We did some research and found about the weekly unlimited travel cards for the subways and buses, definitely going to be getting one of those.

We already found out about Arthur Avenue which by all accounts is meant to be the another Little Italy but is a lot less touristy and has amazing food.

Help a guy out please and keep the trolls answers to a minimum. I will research the tips later, so if any of you try to direct me to any high crime areas I will not be happy.

Last edited:

Irobot82

In NYC, don't walk around looking up all the time. Keep moving millions of people have places they need to get to.

What are you interested in? Budget? Type of food and/or experiences?

On top of my head, for the free activities visiting Central Park, the 9/11 memorial and the High Line are a must. You can download the NYC Ferry App, and take Ferry rides around the waters. It gives some really cool views of the skyline.

I'd avoid staying clear of Time Square. It's just tourist trap after tourist trap and way way to many people. Locals hate it, and really it's just not a interesting place. You're going to get heckled by scammers and cheapshots who rely on gullible people to take their free shit or try to ape you into something. You'll be waiting forever to get anywhere in the subways. Everything is insanely overpriced, and from what I hear, much of the musicals you can see on Broadway are very commercial.

The Natural History Musem is great. Guggenheim is supposedly also really great. MoMA is great if you are into design, and they have this cool design store where you can buy well designed curated gadgets. It's pricey, but I think a lot of their items are worth it. Downtown Manhatten is really nice as you see a lot of the historical "New Amsterdam buildings". There is a more relaxed vibe than in Midtown which seems like a Bonanza for businessmen and shopping alcoholics with a lot to spend.

If you're into hipster stuff- indie everything, then go to Williamsburg and walk around.

For more inspiration I really like time-out.com and nyc.curbed.com - they are great resources.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You know tourist attractions can get old so my suggestion is always have backup plans especially if said attractions fall through

MC Safety

I recommend a trip to Coney Island, which used to be America's playground and then America's UTI and now it's back to a rather amusing , somewhat charming city on the beach. There's a great baseball stadium (should you like that stuff and prefer to see it in a more intimate setting than Taxpayer Field or Yankee Stadium), and an amusement park featuring the legendary Cyclone rollercoaster -- which is old and rickety but historic.

I also recommend the Natural History Museum on 81st, I believe. The B and C subway lines stop right under the museum and have an entrance.

Times Square is probably worth a visit, but only for an hour or so. It's a tourist trap, but probably one worth poking around for a bit. Don't eat at any of the chain restaurants because, well, you can get them anyplace.

See a Broadway play if you can. There's great stuff playing including Book of Mormon. You can get discount tickets if you wait on line in Times Square.

The Bronx and Central Park Zoos are nice places to visit, too, on warm, spring days.

Last edited:

Yoda

(former upper east side resident)
* The MTA trains can be very unreliable during rush hour
* There is nothing special about the bagels, do not believe the propaganda
* Time Square is a bit overrated, too many people and tbh it's really just a bunch of fancy build-boards on shops you can find elsewhere in the city.
* Things worth visiting (probably thing you've already found from your research):
- Central Park, I'd go in the evening, during the day it'll be infested w/tourists. I'd recommend Tavern on the Green (one of the few restaurants in the park) amazing ambience and decent food.
- MET
- Comedy Cellar, there are two, both have roughly the same level of talent, the village underground location has better seating
- Highline: https://www.thehighline.org/ (do not go on the weekend)
- Botanical garden: https://www.nybg.org/
- Natural History Museum (avoid weekends + late afternoon). There are extra events you can attach to your ticket, I'd reccomend the presentation on dark matter, narrated by NDT
- drunk shakespeare: http://www.drunkshakespeare.com/welcome/ avoid the OP tickets if you don't wanna be involved in the play
- rockefeller center has some bougie shops (also most of 5th ave) + cool sights and unknown to most, some rather solid, not overly traffic-ed bars
- columbus circle has more shops if the above didn't scratch the itch
- i'll stop here lemme know if you'd like more reccs
* Most of Manhattan and anywhere near dumbo Brooklyn is mostly safe at nearly any hour of the night.

Not a troll suggestion: Wear earplugs if you're not used to being deaf. The ambulance and police sirens are insanely loud. About 10x louder than in Europe or Australia.

MC Safety

(former upper east side resident)
* There is nothing special about the bagels, do not believe the propaganda

This man is not a New Yorker, nor has he ever been in the state.

Bagels are wonderful, and the best are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.

I will be there around the same time and going with a friend who has never been.

I know he wants to go to Times Square but honestly I don't want to spend too much time there. It's the tourist trap mecca. We are going to see the USS Intrepid since he really wants to see the space shuttle and hang out on an aircraft carrier. Going to try to hit up at least one comedy show that weekend. Most nights we will be at wrestling events though.

Definitely will hit up Central Park though and check out Video Games New York and the Nintendo World Store while we're there.

What I love about New York is the pace of the city. Everyone is moving fast. Well, besides the tourists. In Toronto, even the residents are taking their time and not looking where they are going.

Last edited:
Ok so list of thing we will be doing. A lot of wrestling show to be honest.

Impact Wrestling at Jamaica, Queens
Wrestlecon, US vs The World show (same venue as Wrestlecon)
House of Glory Wrestling at Jamaica, Queens
ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard at Madison Square Garden

Visit 9/11 memorial
Trip to the Bronx, specifically Arthur Avenue
Coney Island amusement park
Staten Island ferry ride
Times Square (not a definite at this point)
Empire State Building (my mate is seriously into fitness and wants to run up the stairs all the way to the top)

A few questions, we will be in and around Queens a lot specifically the Jamaica area. Anyone got any local knowledge. I hear it’s meant to be quite rough/sketchy so we will not be hanging around much once the shows we are going to are over.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Biggest thing that made me wake up in NYC, it's hectic on a different level, be mentally prepared, learn how to walk or walking will be alot of bumping.

Like always, the most talked about foodstuffs are usually nothing that great to write home about, but the fun thing is that you can find pretty much any cuisine in the city, love that part about it.

30 Hudson Yards indoor and outdoor observatory is supposed to be opening in March and will be the cities tallest. Looks awesome as does the whole of the Hudson Yards project thus far. The site is worth checking out alone!

22414891877_6468c0983d_o.jpg

Greedings

Buy a gun. If I ever go to America that's the first thing I'll do. Just go into a store and buy a gun.

Last edited:
I will be there around the same time and going with a friend who has never been.

I know he wants to go to Times Square but honestly I don't want to spend too much time there. It's the tourist trap mecca. We are going to see the USS Intrepid since he really wants to see the space shuttle and hang out on an aircraft carrier. Going to try to hit up at least one comedy show that weekend. Most nights we will be at wrestling events though.

Definitely will hit up Central Park though and check out Video Games New York and the Nintendo World Store while we're there.

What I love about New York is the pace of the city. Everyone is moving fast. Well, besides the tourists. In Toronto, even the residents are taking their time and not looking where they are going.

Which shows/events will you be at? I’d love to go to NXT Takeover but it’s same day as the G1 Supercard.

Which shows/events will you be at? I’d love to go to NXT Takeover but it’s same day as the G1 Supercard.
The Supercard is on the Saturday. Takeover is on the Friday. You can do both.

I won't be going to Takeover unfortunately. Right now it looks like Wrestlecon, G1 Supercard, Wrestlemania and Raw. I kind of want one more indy show but we will see. My friend wants to do some sightseeing too.

30 Hudson Yards indoor and outdoor observatory is supposed to be opening in March and will be the cities tallest. Looks awesome as does the whole of the Hudson Yards project thus far. The site is worth checking out alone!

22414891877_6468c0983d_o.jpg
That is a short walk from my hotel. Might have to check that out.

The Supercard is on the Saturday. Takeover is on the Friday. You can do both.

I won't be going to Takeover unfortunately. Right now it looks like Wrestlecon, G1 Supercard, Wrestlemania and Raw. I kind of want one more indy show but we will see. My friend wants to do some sightseeing too.

Weird, they usually have Takeover on Saturdays.

We’ll be at Impact on Friday so no dice. =/

hecatomb

Banned
I don't know why you are going to NY, but you should go to the statue of liberty island. And good luck trying to not get lost.
89721987-1DD8-B71B-0BE77EEAE39E0520.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know why you are going to NY, but you should go to the statue of liberty island. And good luck trying to not get lost.
89721987-1DD8-B71B-0BE77EEAE39E0520.jpg

I explained clearly several times why we are going to NYC. For the wrestling, hell the city will be full of people don’t the exact same thing as me and my friend.

Apparently there is only one ferry company that goes to the Statue of Liberty and the queues there are insanely long, we will probably give this a miss.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
It didn't take me that long to goto the Statue of Liberty when I visited it with my sister. The line is long but its not like it took all day.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
NYC is a pretty wild place. you will be able to do whatever you want and never leave the city.

gonna really recommend the Museum of Natural History. that place rules.

after that, i don't know, do what you like! make sure to get a subway pass cos you will take that around a lot.

if you have a free day and it's nice out, i recommend going to Rockaway Beach. good place to hang out!

MC Safety

Don't mention the war.

He's asking for places to go and things to see, not whether he should be polite in polite company.

Meanwhile, you'd have to try a lot harder to antagonize the people of New York. As Americans, we're amenable to discussing the issues of the day, even ones that might be uncomfortable.

Last edited:

-hal-

Apparently there is only one ferry company that goes to the Statue of Liberty and the queues there are insanely long, we will probably give this a miss.

Just stop by Battery Park in Lower Manhattan. You can see the statue from there just fine. If you've just got to get a little closer, the Staten Island Ferry goes by and it's completely free.

Last edited:
My biggest disappointments when visiting New York: The street hot dogs suck and the giant pretzels are too salty. Also compared to the rest of the US the people are awful and rude, just like in Europe. In fact they were French levels of asshole. Even Quebec had nicer people, and they speak French.

However LA people were too nice. The other extreme. It was super suspect being approached by randoms.

After 3 days I learned to despise Vegas, and was firmly on the side of the street preachers/Christian fundies protesting on the streets every evening. It's such a disgusting, corrupt, immoral place and the homeless situation was out of control.

Washington was a big fat nothing burger. Boring is the most apt description. The museums were ok, but I saw those in one day.

Tipping culture and the pricing regime is out of control. I got tired seeing the price of something, then paying a hidden tax come payment time, then having to dish out another 10-20% on tips. Just charge more from the outset and be done with it. Seems so dishonest trying to hide the final price.

Best thing about visiting the US in general for an Australian: You can buy alcohol in convenience stores (like in Europe and East Asia) and the food is super cheap with very large portions.

Last edited:
So this is going to suck, Impact Wrestling moved their show in Jamaica, Queens to Rahway, NJ and in top of that the start time is 11pm!

Fuck me, this not going to be fun, show probably wrap until 2.30 - 3 am. I hadn’t planned in visiting NJ, but this situation has forced my hand.

Been working out the logistics and it basically equates to no sleep the day we arrive. Kill me already(!) We’re going to have to zombie it out I guess, that plus the crossing of time zones coming from the UK is going to be interesting...

lil puff

In NYC, don't walk around looking up all the time. Keep moving millions of people have places they need to get to.
This right here.

It seems like tourists waste time walking around, standing around in everyone's way.
You can tell right now in the cold, the tourists have found real things to do because it's too damn cold to be standing around in the middle of sidewalks.

It also always shocks me to see so many tourists eating at KFC and Burger King and gawking at the menus of those self serve lunch delis.

RE: Times Sq. It was fun before Guilani cleaned it up. It used to have character. It's nothing but a joke and very little to do but walk around and take pics. Like who the fuck shops there? Better off shopping at Herald Sq 34th.

If the weather is nice and you are looking for a great food/drink/party atmosphere on the water, look up Frying Pan on the Hudson. I also can't suggest Chinatown enough for hand stretched noodles. Queens probably has the best food overall.

Shifty

If you smoke, be careful about what UK colloquialisms you use for 'cigarette'.

Nothing starts an awkward conversation quite like asking an American "hey mate, can I bum a fag?"
"Hello sir, may I borrow a cigarette?" for those not in the know

Last edited:
If you smoke, be careful about what UK colloquialisms you use for 'cigarette'.

Nothing starts an awkward conversation quite like asking an American "hey mate, can I bum a fag?"
"Hello sir, may I borrow a cigarette?" for those not in the know

I don’t smoke but I already knew this. Also I’m bisexual so if I hear any homophobia I will be calling people out on it.

So this is going to suck, Impact Wrestling moved their show in Jamaica, Queens to Rahway, NJ and in top of that the start time is 11pm!

Fuck me, this not going to be fun, show probably wrap until 2.30 - 3 am. I hadn’t planned in visiting NJ, but this situation has forced my hand.

Been working out the logistics and it basically equates to no sleep the day we arrive. Kill me already(!) We’re going to have to zombie it out I guess, that plus the crossing of time zones coming from the UK is going to be interesting...

So anyone familiar with Rahway, NJ and the general area since this is now a stop on my tour because of this development.

It seems like to get there have to go to to Penn St to get a train or the n`y port authority for a bus, we’re probably going to go to go via train.

TacosNSalsa

Try to get to Rockefeller early on a Friday morning not only do you have a chance to appear on the Today show , on Fridays when it gets warm they have a performance I believe every week . Even if the performances haven't started they do start to shoot some of the show outside if its warm , you might even get to meet Al Roker! When that's done the Nintendo Store should be open and is right in the area ... If you make it down to Chinatown(heh) I recommend a little coffee shop close to the corner of Elziabeth street and Bayard Street They have amazing pork buns (that I remember) and their sweet rolls are really good too.

Top Bottom