• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never played NiGHTS? For Shame! Here's a video!

Ogni-XR21

bjork said:
It changes later on, after several playthroughs. Pretty cool stuff.

The music changes depending on the mood of your Nightopians in the levels. If you pamper them and they like you, the music gets more cheerful. If you kill a lot of them, and they fear you the music gets darker.

On the Christmas Nights CD you can check how the Nightopians in each level feel, and also change the settings for the music playback (only in that analyzer, not for the actual game).

ManaByte said:
NiGHTS came out the same holiday season as Super Mario 64 and Crash. It was so much better than Crash.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I liked Crash more than NiGHTS. Narrow paths or not, all three Crash games were VERY tight platformers. I loved the idea of NiGHTS and I wanted to like it a lot more than I actually did. It's really a niche title that doesn't have a lot of universal appeal.

For the inevitable follow-up, I wonder how they will handle the flying mechanics now that fully 3D movement will probably be expected?

Oneself

I'll never really understand why this game is so loved by hardcore gamers. I had the game and the huge ass analog controller but never got into it.

Yup. I was playing Jumping Flash1&2, Crash and Mario64 instead.

EDIT: Ahahha, I remember GAMEFAN giving a perfect (or almost perfect?) score to Nights, Crash and Mario64 in the same magazine... and I wanted all three (and actually got all 3)!!

Kunai

tebiro boy said:
Did they stay on at Sonic Team? Burning Rangers had amazing music as well, and cheese rock aside, the Sonic Adventure series had its moments.

Yeap, but they now work at Wave master (Sega sound studio).

Fumie Kumatani (Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Heroes, PSO, Burning Rangers)
Tomoko Sasaki (Space Channel 5, Feel the Magic)
Naofumi Hataya (Sonic CD, Burning Rangers, Space Channel 5, Blinx, Sega Rally 2006).

neopokekun said:
Score Attack movies:
343 Combo Chain in Frozen Bell 1.
103360 points in Splash Garden 1.

More here

Wow, I don't think I found that Link on Splash Garden. That's the beauty of NiGHTS - when you discover a 'perfect' Link that you can keep going in a loop. It's a magical feeling - and absorbing in a way very few games are.

But yeah, NiGHTS is definitely a game you either 'get' or you don't. It was the stupidest business decision ever to put this up against SM64, but for the those who got it, it was magic.

Is Nights really as fun as people say, or just nostalgia? If this were to have come out today do you think it would be as well received? I tried playing this about a month back (even got the analog controller), and it got old after about the 3 level. There's only so many loops you can do before it gets old:p

Anywhoo, I really don't think you guys should be asking for another game, I mean if SEGA can't even get Sonic right, what makes you think they can do Nights justice? You could very well end up with a game like Nights but instead of going through loops you fly around using real life guns, ala Shadow the Hedgehog:lol

qcf x2

Great video, reminds me of how amazing that game was/is, in virtually every aspect.

The NiGHTS controller was the shit, too.

Rlan

It'd need to be a hell of a lot longer, frankly. Score based games just are not in the cards anymore [unless they're portable]

If a new game came out with the same amoutn of levels, I'd be underwhelmed. Games like DK: King of Swimg and Kirby Canvas Curse I was also dissapointed by because despite the levels being so simple in design, they decided NOT to make a hell of a lot of them.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
in bold because im important

I really think Nights led the way back to The Score in games. By combining score with a narrative feel/flow, I really see this as the precursor to THPS more than Sk8 or die (1080 not withstanding)

Also, anyone ever do the INSANE alife stuff you can do with the flying monkeys? make them mutate and shit to get extra music.... so weird, i remember seeing scans from japanese magazines showing all the evolutionary paths those lil dudes could tkae,

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Oneself said:
I'll never really understand why this game is so loved by hardcore gamers. I had the game and the huge ass analog controller but never got into it.

Yup. I was playing Jumping Flash1&2, Crash and Mario64 instead.

EDIT: Ahahha, I remember GAMEFAN giving a perfect (or almost perfect?) score to Nights, Crash and Mario64 in the same magazine... and I wanted all three (and actually got all 3)!!

It's not for everybody. The concept is innovative and needs to be learned, if you can't get skilled at flying with Nights you obviously can't enjoy the game but once you do it's fun as hell. Other than that the artisitc side of it is just perfect.

Ranger X

This game always felt like the racing/speed part of Sonic alone. I mean, give Sonic more control in the air, put some ramps here and there Sonic + Loops instead of rings makes Nights.

I never really dug this game either, pretty much the same reaction as Oneself's post here.
Jumping Flash 1, 2, Crash and Mario 64 all made my heart warm way more than Nights.

Synbios459 said:
Is Nights really as fun as people say, or just nostalgia? If this were to have come out today do you think it would be as well received? I tried playing this about a month back (even got the analog controller), and it got old after about the 3 level. There's only so many loops you can do before it gets old:p

Anywhoo, I really don't think you guys should be asking for another game, I mean if SEGA can't even get Sonic right, what makes you think they can do Nights justice? You could very well end up with a game like Nights but instead of going through loops you fly around using real life guns, ala Shadow the Hedgehog:lol

well, I think the reason why it holds up today imo is that it's very much a skill/score based game. I think there was a bit of confusion back when it came out, because it was sort of positioned as a Super Mario 64 competitor, even though they're completely different types of games.

When you said it got "old" were you actually playing it in a "get through the game, experience the story" mindset, or a "I wanna beat my last score and find the perfect link/combo" mindset? I think that would determine whether one enjoys the game today. A rerelease of Nights w/ online leaderboards and replay sharing would be the shit, heh.

Synbios459 said:
Is Nights really as fun as people say, or just nostalgia? If this were to have come out today do you think it would be as well received?

It doesn't recieve enough praise really. It's one of those lesser known games that really does deserve all that hype it gets.

Synbios459 said:
Anywhoo, I really don't think you guys should be asking for another game, I mean if SEGA can't even get Sonic right, what makes you think they can do Nights justice?

That's something you have to be worried about since the original NiGHTS director isn't at Sega anymore and now runs Artoon.

ghibli99

soul creator said:
well, I think the reason why it holds up today imo is that it's very much a skill/score based game. I think there was a bit of confusion back when it came out, because it was sort of positioned as a Super Mario 64 competitor, even though they're completely different types of games.

When you said it got "old" were you actually playing it in a "get through the game, experience the story" mindset, or a "I wanna beat my last score and find the perfect link/combo" mindset? I think that would determine whether one enjoys the game today. A rerelease of Nights w/ online leaderboards and replay sharing would be the shit, heh.
You hit the nail on the head.

As a Sega/NiGHTS diehard, I don't want a sequel. Nothing could ever come ever near the brillance and fun of the original. Sometimes its best to let the past rest. I think of the main reasons why its developed such a rabid fanbase is because of "wtf?" aura.

Then again, I wouldn't mind a simple redux with better graphics.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Few things:

1. Suburban Museum (the name of the track) is by far the best song in the game. I play it on my way to school in the morning for a quick boost. I feel energized after it. :D

2. The graphics have still held up really well, even considering saturn

3. Yes, you are very, very rusty.

Something I was always confused about: is it scored strictly on time or links per run? The last time I tried to play I raced through each leg and did shitty.

FortNinety said:
As a Sega/NiGHTS diehard, I don't want a sequel. Nothing could ever come ever near the brillance and fun of the original. Sometimes its best to let the past rest. I think of the main reasons why its developed such a rabid fanbase is because of "wtf?" aura.

Naka did joke early this gen that he considered NiGHTS to be his E.T. So maybe Rev NiGHTS is a remake of NiGHTS like the remastering they did with E.T? :p But I guess that's one reason a sequel could turn out right, Naka seems to care about NiGHTS more than he does for other series.

ant1532

Banned
I used to play this when I was 6 years old. I remeber it was my favorite game on Saturn besides Die Hard 2. I cant find my Saturn anymore since we moved twice since i had it. Im rebuying one though on ebay soon.

G-Fex

I'm in that spring garden stage last time I played....I can't pass it. Am I not doing something right? Didn't I get enough..points or what? It just goes back to the main menu.

Core407

Banned
Trading in NiGHTS & my Saturn to Funcoland was probably the biggest videogame-related mistake I ever made. Well, that or the virtual boy. :lol

Squeak

ratcliffja said:
If saying all you do is fly through rings and get combos is oversimplifying things, tell me what I'm leaving out. What is the draw of this game? I really don't like to hate on games, but I get really frustrated when a lot of people enjoy a game for reasons entirely unclear to me. That doesn't mean everybody has to like the same games I do. I can see why people like a lot of racing games or other genres that just aren't my thing. I simply can't see how people could enjoy this for more than a few minutes. Please explain what the draw of this game is.
Did you ever have flying dreams? Dreams where you are the complete master of the sky, hurling towards the ground only to rise at the very last second, looping the loop and spinning around just for the fun of it.
Such a dream was probably what inspired NiGHTS Into Dreams in the first place.

Top Bottom