• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS OS screenshots.

So much whining over an interface that is completely customizable. You think it's cramped? Then switch it so it looks like the wii version (3 lines, 5 icons per row). There are at least three different interfaces, and probably a lot of other things you can do to switch up the look of it.

WillyFive

Vic said:
Let's wait & see about that, yes? It might take off in places with huge agglomerations like big cities, schools, etc.

I can see it happening in colleges and Malls, where people tend to bring stuff like that with them, but otherwise, it's going to be very rare. At least in the US.

Pyrokai

Willy105 said:
I can see it happening in colleges and Malls, where people tend to bring stuff like that with them, but otherwise, it's going to be very rare. At least in the US.

I never thought about schools and universities. This could be huge at the playground or in a student center at college. There's also no reason to think they won't be pushing it and getting people to realize it's there and that it's useful and fun to use.

Deku

Banned
boomerisgod said:
So much whining over an interface that is completely customizable. You think it's cramped? Then switch it so it looks like the wii version (3 lines, 5 icons per row). There are at least three different interfaces, and probably a lot of other things you can do to switch up the look of it.

There's a general lack of understanding on what the OS is, incentive to make things up and assume the worst, and just generally write awful opinions pretending to be facts.

I didn't spend a lot of time with the OS so I wasn't 100% sure that you could mimize view to show more icons, so I didn't want to make a false comment. but based on other's experience here, that feature is obviously in, yet people still complain about the layout that runs from the gamut of too cramped to too few things.

Also, someone stated in another thread, as if its fact, that the 3DS didn't have a built in pedometer software because it's Nintendo and they rather sell that. When minimal research would have shown that not only does it have an activity log, the pedometer functionality is built right into the OS and there are incentives built around it.

Pre-launch trolling is awful indeed.

rpmurphy

KingHippo1967 said:
That's not so, actually.

I messed around with the OS a week or so ago and you can hit the icon at the top to shrink the icons down plenty of times. It got to the point that they were so small they must have been 6 or 7 pixels tall.

It impressed me because you can clearly fit a hell of a lot of apps in there and you can see them all on one screen if you want (even though the icons would be tiny, of course).

When they're shrunk further down the OS starts to look more like a 4:3 version of an iPhone menu.
Awesome, thanks for the correction. There was another video of the New York event where a Nintendo rep demoed the feature to Totilo where it probably shows the screen with more icons, but I couldn't find that one. :S

- J - D -

Any word on whether or not you can change settings and have the 3DS boot up with the full channels-esque interface instead of the collapsed/enlarged version like on the first page?

I hope so.

3dsos.png

Cipherr

Honestly, are there that many people here who know nothing about the 3DS? Did none of you own a DS? Is the iPhone your first experience with handheld gaming?

Reminds me of threads that talk about friends codes. A ton of people talking about the system that dont know how it works and have obviously never used it. Lol.

Cipherr said:
Reminds me of threads that talk about friends codes. A ton of people talking about the system that dont know how it works and have obviously never used it. Lol.

Oh lawd. I remember posts like "12092378349534 is online!"

mantidor

branny said:
Only when it's the best angle to show off their product without obscuring it, apparently. Unless that little girl is ambidextrous.

she is

Shot-03_12yo_girl_park.jpg

I'm so pissed I will probably not play Kid Icarus, but if this is their lefty solution they can die in a fire for all I care.

Majine

Banned
I wonder if the people involved in the Wii Menu have been working on the 3DS. I really like Wii Menu, but 3DS isnt doing it for me.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
It's stupid they aren't just putting the NES / SNES VC library on it from the start.

I don't care if it makes sense from a business perspective, it's just insulting to the customer's intelligence.

The thing is, I can already buy most of the NES/SNES/Genesis/N64 games on the Wii already.
I can't get all the great handheld games yet.

Amir0x

Banned
I just want a few select GBA games. There's only like maybe three original Gameboy games that are any good that I would think were worth paying more than three cents for.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
AceBandage said:
The thing is, I can already buy most of the NES/SNES/Genesis/N64 games on the Wii already.
I can't get all the great handheld games yet.

So, why can't I sync those games with my 3DS?

Amir0x said:
I just want a few select GBA games. There's only like maybe three original Gameboy games that are any good that I would think were worth paying more than three cents for.
playing PSX games on the GO disproves the notion that you need a game designed to be a handheld game. so long as it has a good sleep mode, tonnes of console games work just fine.

i'm confident it'll come in time, but yeah, there's probably more N64 and SNES games i'd rather play than GB/GB Color stuff. GBA stuff appeals more. i'd gladly have some of my favourite GBA games permanently instalelled.

domlolz

Banned
out0v0rder said:
fucking internet looks nasty as fuck, wow. everything looks cramped and wow

none of those shots show the internet (unless I've missed some), they are showing the 3DS store which is telling you your connected, I think. I hope the browser is a significant improvement over the DSi's browser anyway, I don't need flash just decent speed.

It's nice of Nintendo to completely neglect the left handers also, lol nintendo, thanks mate!

branny

mantidor said:

Exactly! Of all the "left-handed" models shown, she is depicted as ambidextrous. There is, however, a possibility that she could just be a lefty playing Kid Icarus...

With that in mind, having models use their left hand in those promo shots seems more like a weak attempt to portray inclusiveness (or a side-effect of showing off the product to its fullest) than any genuine consideration for left-handed individuals.

Either way, it's nice to see lefties represented, regardless of intention.

mantidor said:
I'm so pissed I will probably not play Kid Icarus, but if this is their lefty solution they can die in a fire for all I care.

I just came across this video that suggests we try "pointing rather than writing." Sadly, that is the lefty solution for Kid Icarus at the moment. Look at his poor hand. :(

On topic, the OS/UI stuff seems fine since I plan to be playing games most of the time.
As a righty.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Zoramon089 said:
Oh lawd. I remember posts like "12092378349534 is online!"

And yet friend codes turned out much worse than that. ( you dont even know which friends are online till you play the game. :p

The number string is the an annoyance, but not the worse thing about the system on the DS. The problem on Wii and DS was adding a different string for every single game. 3DS seems to fix this with a single friend code, but it is far far from perfect.

It seems to be the case that the number is tied to a system not a person or account. I wouldnt mind being a string of numbers as long as i am always the same string of numbers. friends add me once and then I am on their friend lists on all nintendo consoles forever. and all purchases are tied to my account.
from what we know, the 3DS implementation is an improvement. But it is still FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED.

Shiggie

amtentori said:
And yet friend codes turned out much worse than that. ( you dont even know which friends are online till you play the game. :p

The number string is the an annoyance, but not the worse thing about the system on the DS. The problem on Wii and DS was adding a different string for every single game. 3DS seems to fix this with a single friend code, but it is far far from perfect.

It seems to be the case that the number is tied to a system not a person or account. I wouldnt mind being a string of numbers as long as i am always the same string of numbers. friends add me once and then I am on their friend lists on all nintendo consoles forever. and all purchases are tied to my account.
from what we know, the 3DS implementation is an improvement. But it is still FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED.
Zoramon089 was referring to people speculating about the 3ds online structure.
I assume you aren't referring to the 3ds (bolded).

boiled goose

good with gravy
Shiggie said:
Zoramon089 was referring to people speculating about the 3ds online structure.
I assume you aren't referring to the 3ds (bolded).

oh haha. i thought he/she was talking about people speculating about the original DS online once friend codes were explained. :p The 3DS will def not be like that considering u can choose nicknames on DS games.

The truth is that the online experience on Wii and DS is not terrible once you are online and playing. The problem is lack of integration.

I checked on my Amazon account and my Black 3DS pre-order was gone. :/

IDK what happened. But I pre-ordered it again ...

I read up on it and apparently Amazon will take down their pre-order button if they think they're getting more pre-orders then they can fill so I think I'm OK for release.

Has anyone run into something like this with Amazon?

Black-Wind said:
I checked on my Amazon account and my Black 3DS pre-order was gone. :/

IDK what happened. But I pre-ordered it again ...

I read up on it and apparently Amazon will take down their pre-order button if they think they're getting more pre-orders then they can fill so I think I'm OK for release.

Has anyone run into something like this with Amazon?

nope my blue is still there I've been thinking for switching to black but I am worried I would not get one at launch still one get it until the 30th anyway

Top Bottom