• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS OS screenshots.

- J - D -

DAT 3D

Shot-13_25yo_male_cafe.jpg

i don't get it. the home screen looks to me like wii, dsi, and ios had a good lookin' baby.

and why is there always some goober biting his lower lip and holding the handheld/controller at an angle in these lifestyle shots?

boiled goose

good with gravy
all aconsole makers should take a page for microsoft about interface design. not that microsofts ui is amazing, but they do a great job at pushing new content and upcoming games on the dashboard.

the wii was completely lacking in that regard.

amtentori said:
all aconsole makers should take a page for microsoft about interface design. not that microsofts ui is amazing, but they do a great job at pushing new content and upcoming games on the dashboard.

I think the 3DS can do that too.
You'll get messages and such through spotpass and streetpass.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
amtentori said:

Is probably patented, though...

rpmurphy

amtentori said:

Nintendo's looking to improve their shop to be more "window-shopping" friendly, so we'll see where that goes. At the moment there's the Mario and DK categories featured in the eShop, but hopefully there will be categories for other types of games as well to grab people's interest.

Doorman

I love the hilarity behind so many of these "lifestyle" pictures. How many people actually hold their portables way out in front of them at a slight angle while laughing out loud at the game they're playing? Wouldn't a realistic lifestyle shot be a dude slightly hunched over a park bench trying to keep screen-glare to a minimum? I'd still think the system would look nice.

The UI looks a bit wonky to me at first glance, but I think that's just because I don't already know what some of the icons are meant to signify nor the menus' relationships to each other. I'm sure it all works out just fine once you get the thing in your own hands and start navigating.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Lonely1 said:
Is probably patented, though...

probably a lot of the detailed specifics... but not enough for competitors to adopt their own versions.

I mean nintendo did show you 'new game on shop channel' on the tiny shop channel channel every so often. they also sent you messages every once in a while about new updates. and of course the nintendo channel.

They basically have to do that, but much better.

weekly messages with new releases.
messages for DLC or updates to games you own.
of course have more demos and videos at the same place you buy the games.
have demos and videos that dont go away after a while for both retail and DD.
make recommendations based on what games your friends are playing. (nintendo did a bit of this inside specific games, it needs to be fully integrated)
of course have a unified friend list with chat on the UI, invites on the UI, messages on the UI, no more game specific crap.

It really isnt rocket science. Especially when there are plenty of companies out there doing a pretty good job.

Nintendo is a big advocate of user friendliness, pick up and play, intuitive, simple designs. The Wii and DS infrastructure especially revolving around online stuff was the most backwards thing imaginable to those principles.
-To find games to buy, you had to search for them in bunches of 8 or so with no alphabetical list showing all possible games. and it was slow as hell.
-to view a video or download a demo you had to go to a completely different page or completely different channel
- to add more points to buy a game you have to enter your cc information everytime and also click through 4 pages of Yes, are you sure, are you really sure?
- to play with your friends online you have to exchange a different code everytime you buy a new game. even if you have already confirmed them as your friend on the console or other games.
- you cant communicate with your friends online while playing a game. (in most games)
- you dont know if your friends are online and what they are playing.

the list goes on and on and on.

The overall user experience of the 3DS will be a big factor for me. If it is not a HUGE improvement over Wii and DS I see absolutely no reason to buy the system.
Games? my backlog DS is freaking huge.
graphics? My PC delivers there plenty.
It has to be about the overall experience.

amtentori said:
probably a lot of the detailed specifics... but not enough for competitors to adopt their own versions.

I mean nintendo did show you 'new game on shop channel' on the tiny shop channel channel every so often. they also sent you messages every once in a while about new updates. and of course the nintendo channel.

They basically have to do that, but much better.

messages for DLC or updates to games you own.
of course have more demos and videos at the same place you buy the games.
have demos and videos that dont go away after a while for both retail and DD.
make recommendations based on what games your friends are playing. (nintendo did a bit of this inside specific games, it needs to be fully integrated)
of course have a unified friend list with chat on the UI, invites on the UI, messages on the UI, no more game specific crap.

It really isnt rocket science. Especially when there are plenty of companies out there doing a pretty good job.

Nintendo is a big advocate of user friendliness, pick up and play, intuitive, simple designs. The Wii and DS infrastructure especially revolving around online stuff was the most backwards thing imaginable to those principles.
-To find games to buy, you had to search for them in bunches of 8 or so with no alphabetical list showing all possible games. and it was slow as hell.
-to view a video or download a demo you had to go to a completely different page or completely different channel
- to add more points to buy a game you have to enter your cc information everytime and also click through 4 pages of Yes, are you sure, are you really sure?
- to play with your friends online you have to exchange a different code everytime you buy a new game. even if you have already confirmed them as your friend on the console or other games.
- you cant communicate with your friends online while playing a game. (in most games)
- you dont know if your friends are online and what they are playing.

the list goes on and on and on.

Pretty much every complaint you have here is fixed with the 3DS.

boiled goose

good with gravy
AceBandage said:
Pretty much every complaint you have here is fixed with the 3DS.

I am much MUCH less optimistic than you.
Will have to wait and see.
When it comes to stubbornness, Nintendo is king.

Slime

Banned
I don't know, it just reminds me too much of what shit looks like on a 800x600 monitor. And too DSi-like to wow me. Not impressed, but didn't expect much more from a Nintendo UI, to be honest.

amtentori said:
I am much MUCH less optimistic than you.
Will have to wait and see.
When it comes to stubbornness, Nintendo is king.

Well, let's break it down:

messages for DLC or updates to games you own. Done through both streetpass and spot pass as confirmed by Nintendo and third parties
of course have more demos and videos at the same place you buy the games. Demos are unknown but all games will now have trailers on the eShop channels
have demos and videos that dont go away after a while for both retail and DD. See above
make recommendations based on what games your friends are playing. (nintendo did a bit of this inside specific games, it needs to be fully integrated) Done through the eShop channel as well. All games will have a ratings system and a time spent played count
of course have a unified friend list with chat on the UI, invites on the UI, messages on the UI, no more game specific crap. Already done. One single friend code exchanged once (or never if you are in the same room as the person you can add them without any codes) Messages and all else handled straight from the Friends List

-To find games to buy, you had to search for them in bunches of 8 or so with no alphabetical list showing all possible games. and it was slow as hell. You can now search specific game titles and the eShop is set up with much more specific categories
-to view a video or download a demo you had to go to a completely different page or completely different channel Videos of games are handled straight from the eShop
- to add more points to buy a game you have to enter your cc information everytime and also click through 4 pages of Yes, are you sure, are you really sure?This one is unknown but it's likely more streamlined like the rest of the system
- to play with your friends online you have to exchange a different code everytime you buy a new game. even if you have already confirmed them as your friend on the console or other games.As mentioned above, one code period and they are added for all games ever
- you cant communicate with your friends online while playing a game. (in most games)Can view friends list and message them while in game along with other functions like taking notes and going on the internet
- you dont know if your friends are online and what they are playing.3DS Friends List will show who is online and what they are playing, including games without an online mode

So, there you go.

And some light watching to familiarize yourself with the 3DS.
Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXLt3PvJdtI
Firmware features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ibWOLQdDY
Overview of StreetPass, SpotPass, and eShop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9GPwl4i2q0

DarkWish

And to add to the above, demos have been confirmed. In fact, in a video showing off the eShop before, I believe you could see something that looked like a demo for PilotWings Resort.

Bii

3DS_ActivityL_EU02scrn02_Ev_dis.jpg

I think this feature interests me the most. haha
I always like to know how much time I spent with a game, especially when games don't keep track of it themselves.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oh you guys.

YOU GUYS.

(P.S. You can't message friends, not via the firmware at least. NOA (Bhildorf? Trinen?) said that the "goal" is to be able to message from your global friend list, but that is functionality that Does Not Exist at this point.)

branny

Dreamwriter said:
Did Nintendo actually acknowledge the existence of left-handed gamers?!

Only when it's the best angle to show off their product without obscuring it, apparently. Unless that little girl is ambidextrous.

VOOK said:
I tweeted to Sakurai asking, no response :(

At least the stylus is easier for us to get to than how it was on DSL. I'll be so thrilled taking it out conveniently with my left hand
only to pass it to my right for Kid Icarus. :(

Tathanen said:
Oh you guys.

YOU GUYS.

(P.S. You can't message friends, not via the firmware at least. NOA (Bhildorf? Trinen?) said that the "goal" is to be able to message from your global friend list, but that is functionality that Does Not Exist at this point.)

Actually...

You’ll be able to send messages back and forth to your friends as well. When your 3DS receives a message in sleep mode, the Notification LED lights up in green. Additionally, the Notifications icon in the Home menu will change when you’ve received a new message.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
branny said:
At least the stylus is easier for us to get to than how it was on DSL. I'll be so thrilled taking it out conveniently with my left hand
only to pass it to my right for Kid Icarus. :(

I'm not buying it unless there is a lefty mode. Simple.

Also;

Shot-36_40yo_female_playing_home.jpg

Also this file name says she is 40, goddamn that's the hottest 40 year old I've seen. Would and a half. (and then take the 3DS)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
AceBandage said:

Yeah, I know sites reported that. They were wrong. They cited sources that never mentioned it at all, extrapolating street/spotpass data that arrives in games as being "user messages."

(P.P.S. You people who seem to think the shop is just so cluttered and awful and extol the fucking XMB of all friggin things as the paragon of excellent and not-at-all-confusing UX, at least critique the shop in motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9GPwl4i2q0. Skip to 3:10. It is perfectly functional and not even remotely confusing or horrible in the least. I don't know what you are all smoking.)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
AceBandage said:
The Wii allows you to message people on your Friends List. There's no way that feature won't be on the 3DS.

All I know is that absolutely zero of Nintendo's materials have mentioned it, and none of the videos of the friend list show it happening. Those videos show the interface in fact, and there is no option that comes close to resembling messaging in them. And then we have NOA's statements.

It'd sure be great if it was there at launch, but other than "the Wii did it" there is no evidence for it, and in fact as noted a slight shred against it. There are a fair number of things that the 3DS isn't launching with, I'm sure it's planned functionality, but I wouldn't be surprised at all from what I've seen if it's not there at launch.

rpmurphy

Tathanen said:
Yeah, I know sites reported that. They were wrong. They cited sources that never mentioned it at all, extrapolating street/spotpass data that arrives in games as being "user messages."
Yeah, we still have no idea what messaging features there are going to be, if any. One of the recent Famitsu issues talked about the Friends List interface (which shows that you can do some interaction with online friends in it), but I don't think anyone translated that. :(

Maffis

The Bookerman said:
THe hardware looks sleak, and yet the ui looks like it's made for preschoolers... Damnit nintendo. Put your act together.

I agree. The OS doesn't match the hardware's design at all. I think it should've looked more like playstation tbh.

Top Bottom