• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS OS screenshots.

Kenka

Gravijah said:
U MEAN THAT ONE TIME YOU HELD A MIRROR UP

27y4m6uwm5o.gif

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Consider: the two-row icon interface there on the home screen is not the default one, it's a power-user toggle, step two of a three-step optional gridding process. The default view is a single horizontal row of icons ala the DSi, with a bubble that takes up the second row and identifies the currently selected software. Hopefully that is less offensive to our UX Experts here.

The shop looks fine, though not as nice as the actual firmware. It's a 400x improvement over the Wii and DSi shops at least. And yeah I am pretty sure that screen indicates a Pilotwings demo, I was trying to read what it said in that video that was floating around today that had the OOT footage with Hyrule Field. The icon at least indicates "Download" in some capacity, as it's the same icon used to download Mario Land. A 3D demo is just what we need to make up for the apparently 2D videos in the shop.

I'm honestly shocked so many people are reacting to these for the first time, virtually everything in these interface shots has been public knowledge for months.

[Nintex]

Tathanen said:
Consider: the two-row icon interface there on the home screen is not the default one, it's a power-user toggle, step two of a three-step optional gridding process. The default view is a single horizontal row of icons ala the DSi, with a bubble that takes up the second row and identifies the currently selected software. Hopefully that is less offensive to our UX Experts here.

The shop looks fine, though not as nice as the actual firmware. It's a 400x improvement over the Wii and DSi shops at least. And yeah I am pretty sure that screen indicates a Pilotwings demo, I was trying to read what it said in that video that was floating around today that had the OOT footage with Hyrule Field. The icon at least indicates "Download" in some capacity, as it's the same icon used to download Mario Land. A 3D demo is just what we need to make up for the apparently 2D videos in the shop.

I'm honestly shocked so many people are reacting to these for the first time, virtually everything in these interface shots has been public knowledge for months.
We wanted to give Nintendo's PR folk some confidence after all the recent fuck-ups.

Those lifestyle shots really do the system a lot of good in the looks department. It still confuses me when I read posts saying that it's nearly as ugly or even worse the DSphat.

The UI looks a little confusing for the online service, but it looks like it will be a step up from the Wii at least.
Gamer @ Heart said:
ONLY BEAUTIFUL WHITE PEOPLE CAN BUY A 3DS!
Get me some whitening cream.

Boogiepop

fernoca said:
Priorities: 3DS >> Keys
Just use one pocket for things that can scratch, and one for things that shouldn't be scratched, assuming pants with two pockets...
Also, 3DS carts are base white? Huh.

Kenka said:
They do a good job at showing everyday people in normal situations.

Which is a good appreciation.

No fatties allowed!

I think the OS looks fine, it's like anything once you get used to it, it usually flows pretty well.

I just hate waiting more than month! Hell, Black/White is a long enough wait and then this is even longer.

Patience is not a virtue I possess.

Kenka

MNC said:
Good marketing shots. Hell I'm getting more hyped by the day :(

You can trust me when I say that : visually, the 3DS is flawless. I had low expectations when I considered the 133 ppi upper screen but in action, some games look baffling, especially DoA.

Zelda is cool but a bit angular, nintendogs is nintendogs, Ridge Racer is not übercrap (or maybe it is compared to the others), SF IV looks like a home console version.

Mixed-bag in general but first-tier mixed bag. I guess you can't expect a good drawing distance in any game given the screen resolution but you'll enjoy beautiful effects and steady 60 FPS in visually attractive games. And that's what made me reconsider the purchase of a 3DS. Seriously, it is a very good handheld console.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Kenka said:
Zelda is cool but a bit angular, nintendogs is nintendogs, Ridge Racer is not übercrap (or maybe it is compared to the others), SF IV looks like a home console version.
I like that the nicest thing you can say about ridge racer is that its not ubercrap....

I really just don't get what's confusing about the OS or why it's "ugly".
The Icons do things when you press them. They're laid out evenly and they have vivid pictures that easily convey what they are for.

Mudkips

Banned
So whatever happened to those rumors of installing games to the 3DS / SD card so you don't have to carry around 50 games?

Total bullshit?

Those pictures of them having the ds sticking out the pockets of the bags seems like a great example! Asking for people to nick them.
Looking forward to seeing the OS in person for sure.

Mudkips said:
So whatever happened to those rumors of installing games to the 3DS / SD card so you don't have to carry around 50 games?

Total bullshit?
Yup, someone BS'ed you, I've never heard anything like that rumor, and it's not credible in the slightest.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I don't like it personally. Doesn't feel very sleek or well designed. To my eyes it looks like it's geared towards children.

sfried

Thunderbear said:
I don't like it personally. Doesn't feel very sleek or well designed. To my eyes it looks like it's geared towards children.
It looks slicker than DSi's interface, and dthe menu buttons can apparently be rearranged into a grid.

Where the hell are people getting the impression it's geared towards children? It's no more childish than your ATM machine.

plasmasd

One of the ugliest UI's I've seen on a recent electronics device. Looks like it belongs on a Vtech kid's laptop. Just looks like a mishmash of colors and icons that would be used as a Photoshop mockup.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wouldn't you loose the 3d effect if you tilted your head sideways?

-----

Also, notice that everyone in these shots has two eyes. Hmmmm....

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gahiggidy said:
Wouldn't you loose the 3d effect if you tilted your head sideways?

-----

Also, notice that everyone in these shots has two eyes. Hmmmm....
Who says she is playing in 3D.

Top Bottom