• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 4K TV won't recognize my PC signal over HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocode

I've had my PC hooked up to my old TV directly via HDMI for years with no problem. Today, I set up the new TV (Sharp LC-55UB30U) and had no problems connecting to my cable box, ps3, 360, etc. When I try to switch my HDMI cable running from my 970 to my monitor over to my new TV, I get no signal.

I've tried switching ports, cables, etc. with no result. I also tried restarting my PC with the HDMI connected, and I see the motherboard boot screen, and the windows start up screen on the TV, but I get "no signal" once the PC tries to load up the desktop.

I googled for a bit, and tried to get the TV to re-handshake with the HDMI (unplugged the TV, and restarted with the PC plugged in, but nothing). I'm assuming that this has something to do with the new TV being 4K? I can't think of anything else, but I'm sure (I hope) it's something easy, and I'm just a dumbass.
Anyone have any ideas here?

I've had my PC hooked up to my old TV directly via HDMI for years with no problem. Today, I set up the new TV (Sharp LC-55UB30U) and had no problems connecting to my cable box, ps3, 360, etc. When I try to switch my HDMI cable running from my 970 to my monitor over to my new TV, I get no signal.

I've tried switching ports, cables, etc. with no result. I also tried restarting my PC with the HDMI connected, and I see the motherboard boot screen, and the windows start up screen on the TV, but I get "no signal" once the PC tries to load up the desktop.

I googled for a bit, and tried to get the TV to re-handshake with the HDMI (unplugged the TV, and restarted with the PC plugged in, but nothing). I'm assuming that this has something to do with the new TV being 4K? I can't think of anything else, but I'm sure (I hope) it's something easy, and I'm just a dumbass.
Anyone have any ideas here?
Have you tried messing with the resolution settings on your PC?

Perhaps you're trying to use it at 4k @ 60hz and your tv or hdmi cable only supports 30hz at that resolution. Try setting your computer to 1080p so you can at least get back to the desktop and then try 4k again.

Edit: I'm all wrong, lol. Boot into safe mode (press F8 repeatedly while computer boots) and try 4k @ 60hz.

Boss★Moogle;190588466 said:
According to this, this model only supports a PC input at 4K/60Hz. Also wow at that input lag for gaming.
Dafuq? Is this commonplace now? So the PC HAS to output at 4K/60hz? Ugh. I haven't set up a gaming PC with a 4K set yet.

Perhaps you're trying to use it at 4k @ 60hz and your tv or hdmi cable only supports 30hz at that resolution. Try setting your computer to 1080p so you can at least get back to the desktop and then try 4k again.

The 970 can support 4K/60 with HDMI 2.0 with full 4:4:4 chroma and is backwards compatible with 4K/60 with HDMI 1.4 with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

The videocard isn't the issue. I wonder if he's got a bad HDMI cable, he should try another cable first.

But if he can at least reach Safe Mode, then it might be a driver setting and he can at least uninstall the driver, reboot Windows, and reinstall the driver and see if that clears it up.

nocode

Can you get the Windows desktop to show up in Safe Mode?

I was able to reboot in safe mode and get my desktop to display on the TV.

The 970 can support 4K/60 with HDMI 2.0 with full 4:4:4 chroma and is backwards compatible with 4K/60 with HDMI 1.4 with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

The videocard isn't the issue. I wonder if he's got a bad HDMI cable, he should try another cable first.

But if he can at least reach Safe Mode, then it might be a driver setting and he can at least uninstall the driver, reboot Windows, and reinstall the driver and see if that clears it up.

I'll try this next.

nocode

I tried updating drivers, but I get an error right now saying that I'm unable to connect to Nvidia servers. I'll try again tomorrow I guess?

I also tried forcing my 970 to display at 4k 60 hz, and test it while sending the signal over to the TV. No dice.

Weird, it has to be an issue with the resolution or refresh rate, but it's not cooperating. I only want this connection because I have a lot of ripped media on my PC, and it's handy to have it hooked up to the big tv. I only game on my monitor, so I don't really care about input lag.

komplanen

Regards to the TV: Wow holy shit at that input lag :-O

Regarding the problem: Is OP a 100% positive the HDMI cable is the correct version?

nocode

Regards to the TV: Wow holy shit at that input lag :-O

Regarding the problem: Is OP a 100% positive the HDMI cable is the correct version?

The HDMI cable is the same one I've always used to connect. I'm not sure why it would display in safe mode and not once I do a full boot though. I'm not trying to display 4K from the PC, just 1080P. I really don't know a whole lot about this stuff though, so it could be something obvious?

The TV looks great, no complaints there. I got Best Buy to price match it to $750 too, so I'm pretty happy, haha.

Wag

Definitely try another cable. When I added a 3rd 980Ti to my 4k setup all of a sudden my display started "blanking out" and I couldn't figure out why. When I swapped out HDMI cables that fixed it.

nocode

Definitely try another cable. When I added a 3rd 980Ti to my 4k setup all of a sudden my display started "blanking out" and I couldn't figure out why. When I swapped out HDMI cables that fixed it.

I'll try swapping out next, but It'll have to wait until tomorrow since I have to wake up for work in 6 hours.

Worst case scenario: Handshaking issue.

If it is, how can I fix this? Can I fix that?

How long is the HDMI cable you're using?

I think it's 20ft. I'm not sure b/c I bought it around 4 years ago. It's a Monster cable though, and has gold shielding. I saved up for almost a year for that bad boy.
No, I didn't really do that. I bought the cheapest one on Monoprice at the time.
Could it be outdated? I really have no idea on that stuff, I haven't kept up on cable tech.

charpunk

I think it's 20ft. I'm not sure b/c I bought it around 4 years ago. It's a Monster cable though, and has gold shielding. I saved up for almost a year for that bad boy.
No, I didn't really do that. I bought the cheapest one on Monoprice at the time.
Could it be outdated? I really have no idea on that stuff, I haven't kept up on cable tech.

Yeah, you need a new cable.

nocode

Yeah, you need a new cable.

I just double checked, and it's a high speed HDMI, so it shouldn't have any trouble transmitting 4K.

But I'm not even trying to transmit 4K, just 1080. And the TV accepts the signal when the PC is in safe mode, so that wouldn't be it either right?

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone. I need to sleep, and I'll pick this back up tomorrow after work.

trinest

I just double checked, and it's a high speed HDMI, so it shouldn't have any trouble transmitting 4K.

But I'm not even trying to transmit 4K, just 1080. And the TV accepts the signal when the PC is in safe mode, so that wouldn't be it either right?

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone. I need to sleep, and I'll pick this back up tomorrow after work.

What version hdmi?

Timu

According to this, this model only supports a PC input at 4K/60Hz. Also wow at that input lag for gaming.
Holy fuck, I could never play any fast paced games with that input lag, it's either under 16ms or screw it.

Yeah this happened to me before. Go the resolution setting and change the main display to the TV and output to Computer Only.

Amagon

cdJjHBT.gif

FoxSpirit

The input lag on the OP's TV is indeed terrible (80ms!), but geez, 16ms is a pretty high bar for acceptability.
Naw, if it's over 20ms it's simply too bad. I selected my old TV because did that and had great contrast for the time.
Oh, and that TV doesn't even have native 24fps support?? Eff that.

Uhyve

Naw, if it's over 20ms it's simply too bad. I selected my old TV because did that and had great contrast for the time.
Oh, and that TV doesn't even have native 24fps support?? Eff that.
Are there any TVs with under 16ms latency? I mean, I assume that there's monitors that could pull that off, but for TVs, that's gotta be very rare. I'm almost willing to bet that there's no sub 20ms 4K TVs.

Hattori

Banned
Why do people even buy 4K TV's?

There is hardly any content, and the decent priced sets are pants.
Because some TVs have great scaling engines that brings life to HD content, especially blurays. Most of the high end TVs that are made today feature cutting edge technologies that can't be found in 1080p sets. Some people also have rigs to drive 4K gaming and want a bigger screen to play with especially now that some TVs are capable of 4K/60fps with minimal lag. And most important of all, because they can.

nocode

Sorry to disappear on you guys like that, but I had to work late yesterday, and pretty much ate dinner and passed out after.

Yeah this happened to me before. Go the resolution setting and change the main display to the TV and output to Computer Only.

Thanks, I'll try this tonight.

While I didn't get this TV for gaming at all, that Vizio is only like $100 more that my TV haha. That stings a little.

Wreav

Banned
Vizio is garbage, don't give them any money. I swear to god their sets are manufactured to crap out a day after their warranty expires.

They're the Android of the TV world.

FoxSpirit

Are there any TVs with under 16ms latency? I mean, I assume that there's monitors that could pull that off, but for TVs, that's gotta be very rare. I'm almost willing to bet that there's no sub 20ms 4K TVs.
My old Sony KDL40W4000.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W4000/
Now, it does suffer from some colour inaccuracy modern sets do better but aside from that, it's pretty good. Good motion handling and thanks to a lack of complicated video processing, the response time feels just like my desktop monitor.

I am awaiting a 4k HDR Oled with sub-20ms before I make the jump so... this thing will stay with me a few years more.

Clockwork

Vizio is garbage, don't give them any money. I swear to god their sets are manufactured to crap out a day after their warranty expires.

They're the Android of the TV world.

I own a P series. It replaced a Samsung that cost more than twice as much. I am happy with it.

nocode

Okay, quick update.

First off, I set up my old TV so long ago that I forgot I had an HDMI switcher in between my PC and the TV. I removed that, and hooked my computer monitor up via VGA instead of HDMI, and hooked the new TV directly via my existing HDMI. I immediately got a signal, but there were thin black lines and flickering on the TV display. I went into NVIDIA control panel, set up multiple displays, and now I have the desktop extended in 1080P without problems. I'm happy to keep it like that, because it's really all I need anyway.

I'll still mess around with it a bit, but I am unable to switch the resolution on the TV display to 4K via NVIDIA control panel. That drops the signal. I think a few of you have already figured out why in the posts above, but I'll admit, it's a bit over my head at the moment. I just need to read up a bit to get it straight.

So, I'm half way there, and I want to thank you all for the suggestions! It would have taken me forever to get where I am without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom