• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Amazon Fire TV announced (4k): Game Edition w/ controller, Shovel Knight, DT $139

ekim

firetvgaming-edition.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNQECFM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

71DfmvxYuJL._SL1000_.jpg

71QOc7xwR8L._SL1000_.jpg

feature-ftvge-app-grid.jpg

All-new Fire TV Gaming Edition is everything you need for easy, affordable gaming on your HDTV - including Amazon Fire TV, Game Controller, two games, and a 32 GB microSD card for expanded storage
Includes two games ($24.98 value) - award-winning Shovel Knight and critically-acclaimed Disney DuckTales: Remastered
Take gaming to the next level with the included Fire TV Game Controller, designed to fit comfortably in your hands with precise and responsive controls. Plus enjoy private listening using the headphone jack with Dolby Audio support.
Enjoy console-style gaming with an up to 2 GHz quad-core processor, dedicated GPU and 2 GB of memory
With over 800 games, more than any other streaming media player, there is something for the entire family, including Minecraft, Lego Star Wars, and Pac-Man 256
Say it. Watch it. Say the name of what you want to watch and start enjoying in seconds. Now with Alexa, use your Fire TV Game Controller to check sports scores or the weather, play music, and more - instantly.
All-new Amazon Fire TV now supports 4K Ultra HD for true-to-life picture quality. Watch high-definition 1080p streams on Amazon Video, Netflix, Hulu and more, even without a 4K TV. And access over 250,000 movies and TV episodes.

Damn Apple come take this L. The controller, two games and expandable memory for 139 you can't beat that.

It's very tempting for someone who even has a current gen system like myself.

Neol

Don't really care that much for it but having Shovel Knight and Duck Tales included with purchase is fantastic.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Hmm Shovel Knight ported to Android so we can expect an iOS/Android phone/tablet release soon?

Krakn3Dfx

Original FireTV was pretty disappointing in comparison to other options like Roku. They would need to make some pretty substantial changes/improvements on the UI level for me to want to jump in on the 2nd generation.

ekim

Oh... OliOli also available? Are there even Android ports of OliOli, Shovel Knight and Ducktales? Or is the FireTV running a custom OS?

BiggNife

I will say that games lineup is a hell of a lot better than it was a year ago, but I'm curious to see how they keep expanding it.

And I'm especially curious to see what the hell Amazon Game Studios has been doing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I will say that games lineup is a hell of a lot better than it was a year ago, but I'm curious to see how they keep expanding it.

And I'm especially curious to see what the hell Amazon Game Studios has been doing.

It's interesting, since their main studio moved to making an online PC title.

Presumably they're still signing third party deals for this then?

Nice price.

Once this guy gets rooted, going to be a killer emu/XBMC box. Wish it had 3GB RAM, though...that would make it last much longer.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Action platformer, comparable to a melee based megaman

Actually, I always thought it was more like NES DuckTales than Mega Man.

Hmmm, what a coincidence; DuckTales Remastered is also included :p

I don't know much about these kind of things, but you can put your own videos on this thing right? Would this support 10-bit H.264 MKV files?

Mindwipe

Can you run XBMC on it with an external hardrive?

You could certainly do that on the predecessor (without root).

I expect this box to be a LOT harder to root than the old one.

I would have thought Retroarch would be on the Amazon store and it's not. Weird.

Shang

If I didn't already have Shovel Knight and Ducktales, I would jump on that. Looks like you can play some of the great downloadable titles for cheap this gem, I like it.

Regiruler

Actually, I always thought it was more like NES DuckTales than Mega Man.

Hmmm, what a coincidence; DuckTales Remastered is also included :p

I don't know much about these kind of things, but you can put your own videos on this thing right? Would this support 10-bit H.264 MKV files?
The level design is closer to megaman than ducktales. Combat is basically zelda 2.

kiguel182

They are pushing games way harder than Apple but, in the end, it doesn't matter if it doesn't sell.

Devs will work on the platform with the bigger user base even if the manufacture is less interested in marketing for "gamers".

oti

Banned
They care about games for sure, they are the number one source of income app wise I think.

Apple does not care at all about video games. That should be abundantly clear by now.
All they want are the licensing fees developers have to pay them.

Wag

Size 4.5" x 4.5" x 0.7" (115 mm x 115 mm x 17.8 mm)
Weight 9.5 oz. (270 g)
Processor MediaTek Quad-core up to 2 Ghz
Dual-core @ 2.0 GHz + Dual-core @ 1.6 GHz
GPU Power VR GX6250
Storage 8 GB internal
Memory 2 GB
Wi-Fi Connectivity Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi networks.
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.1 with support for the following profiles: HID, HFP, SPP
Voice Support Yes, with Fire TV Voice Remote (included) or free Fire TV Remote App (available for download on Fire, Android, and iOS)
Game Controller Support Yes, optimized for Amazon Fire TV Game Controller and most games are compatible with other Bluetooth controllers
Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content
Ports DC Jack, HDMI output, 10/100 Ethernet, microSD slot, USB 2.0
Audio Support Dolby Audio, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch stereo, and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1
Content Formats Supported Video: H.265, H.264, Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC), Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
Output Resolution Supported 2160p up to 30fps; 720p and 1080p up to 60fps
System Requirements Compatible high-definition or ultra high-definition television with available HDMI input, Internet connection, a power outlet
TV Compatibility TV must support minimum HDCP requirements for protected content playback. Learn more. Compatible with (1) 4K ultra high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 2160p at 24/25/30/50/60 Hz and HDCP 2.2, including popular models from LG, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, and others or (2) high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 1080p or 720p at 50/60 Hz, including popular HDCP-compatible models from Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse, and others.
Warranty and Service 1-year Limited Warranty and service included. Optional 2-year and 3-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Fire TV is subject to the terms found here.
Regional Support Certain services may not be available outside the U.S.
Closed Captioning Watch videos and TV shows with closed captioning displayed. Captions are not available for all content.
Included in the Box Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV Voice Remote
Power adapter
2 AAA batteries
Quick Start Guide

24FPS: YAY!!!
100Mbps Ethernet for 4k????: Boooo!!!!

HDMI 2.0a????
DTS-HD/True-HD passthru????

Without HDMI 2.0a support it won't be worth the bother. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't support it as Amazon and Netflix are both planning on offering HDR streaming later this year, which require HDMI 2.0a support.

ViciousDS

Banned
That's great, looks like a fair bit of work though.

Not sure I'd trust myself to do it right.

its not terribly hard. Once you get sideloading going its fairly easy. I use a PS4 controller plugged into the back of my FireTV..its how I keep my SNES stored away. Almost done with OG breath of fire. They really need to allow an easier way though than the sideloading.

Edit: that SDcard will make putting my roms on it a HELL OF A LOT EASIER. Maybe even loading off the SDcard for apps....oh please lord!

cmChimera

This is not going to hurt the Apple Tv. I'm glad it's out there though. As a fan of the Apple Tv, I like there to be good competition to keep Apple moving.

Top Bottom