• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Amazon Fire TV announced (4k): Game Edition w/ controller, Shovel Knight, DT $139

Wag

I'm going to wait it out. Maybe not for gaming, but for sheer content the Roku 4k will probably be the way to go.

Lucifon

No Game edition of this in the UK?

How does the controller work with games that require touch rather than controller input, e.g Hearthstone? Would quite like to pop that in the bedroom and play hearthstone on the tele.

BigDug13

Dolby audio support on the headphone jack. Why isn't that a thing on any of the consoles and a fucking Fire TV beats them to it?

Apple TV supports the same controllers their iOS devices do - it's just that none is included with the Apple TV itself (big mistake, IMO)
But here's the problem, Apple TV doesn't allow developers to require a controller - all games MUST be playable with the remote control device. FireTV doesn't have that stupid restriction.

Somnid

Dolby audio support on the headphone jack. Why isn't that a thing on any of the consoles and a fucking Fire TV beats them to it?

Nintendo doesn't pay the dolby license fee but I'm pretty sure they can do high quality and/or spacial audio mixes.

I never attempted anything beyond the 16bit era. I'll probably just grab this to be honest. But the power in the FireTV wasn't terrible. I'm pretty sure you could google some users who used it for DC and PS1.

Also if the OG controller works with the new one that will be awesome!

OMGGGGGGG

The original Fire TV plays Power Stone 2 almost flawless!!!!

DC on Fire TV

Talamius

The original Fire TV was roughly on par with a Galaxy S4 hardware wise. More than enough for Kodi and everything PS1, N64 and older.

They make great little emulation stations.

Korezo

So are the quality of games still trash compared to ios versions? Or has this changed and games last look/play the same? This is one of the reasons I don't even look at other app stores other than ios apps.

Nice price.

Once this guy gets rooted, going to be a killer emu/XBMC box. Wish it had 3GB RAM, though...that would make it last much longer.

There's no need to root to run emulators and XBMC though.

24FPS: YAY!!!
100Mbps Ethernet for 4k????: Boooo!!!!

100Mbps is fine. There's no need for gigabit for 4K.

HDMI 2.0a????
DTS-HD/True-HD passthru????

It supports Dolby Atmos; so does that mean it by also by default supports Dolby True HD?

Mindwipe

Shots fired directly at Apple - $10 cheaper, includes controller and two games, 4k streaming support, expandable storage, already lots of apps/games, many designed to require the controller.

Darn, though, another 4k streaming device that requires HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, which my 4kTV doesn't have :(

You're not going to get any film studio content that doesn't require those. It's in the Movielabs requirements.

Shots fired directly at Apple - $10 cheaper, includes controller and two games, 4k streaming support, expandable storage, already lots of apps/games, many designed to require the controller.

Darn, though, another 4k streaming device that requires HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, which my 4kTV doesn't have :(

Sorry to say but you're getting hosed. This is why you don't early adopt a format that hasn't settled the standards yet. This happened with early HDTVs that didn't do HDCP at all over HDMI.

Trago

LOL Apple TV.

I have to wonder who are they expecting to pull with the game edition. The device itself is fine, but when will they put out a box with better hardware to handle games you'd see on the PS4 or Xbone? Y'know as an option? I think it would be cool for Android to start getting more AAA experiences.

includes controller? yeah i'm already liking this more then the new apple tv and I say that as someone who plays iphone games often.

Nzyme32

LOL Apple TV.

I have to wonder who are they expecting to pull with the game edition. The device itself is fine, but when will they put out a box with better hardware to handle games you'd see on the PS4 or Xbone? Y'know as an option? I think it would be cool for Android to start getting more AAA experiences.

Because not everyone wants that at all. In general there are more people looking for a television oriented media consumption device for all manner of streaming services and maybe even apps. Gaming is just an additional benefit for those so inclined in a casual manner. There is no need to make one "to handle games you'd see on the PS4 or Xbone". These devices are also evolving yearly, so the cost and performance will scale over time to be more powerful and cheaper, but still catering to casual use

Just a heads up, I've had one of these for a little while, and the controller's the best I've used on any set-top platform. My only problem is the face buttons and d-pad have a little more resistance than I'd like, but that might be desirable by some.

Also the rubberized grips are so good. SO good.

I have the original Amazon Fire TV and I love it.
Sideloaded Kodi onto it, meets all my media needs in addition to Netflix and Plex.

Have yet to try a game on it (tried Crossy Road) but I've thinking about putting a N64 emulator to try with a DS3

Just a heads up, I've had one of these for a little while, and the controller's the best I've used on any set-top platform. My only problem is the face buttons and d-pad have a little more resistance than I'd like, but that might be desirable by some.

Also the rubberized grips are so good. SO good.

I've heard the new controller that's getting released with this has better buttons.

vongruetz

Banned
LOL Apple TV.

The FireTV has more media apps than either PS4 or XB1. The gaming it just a nice bonus feature. But where this device gets a boost is with the emulators. If I can use this to boot up my Genesis or NES roms, then that has value in itself. It's also something that you won't be able to do on the Apple TV.

If you don't mind me asking, which 4K TV do you have.

The most current ones have those standards so it much suck if you bought an earlier model that didn't have them.

Trago

Because not everyone wants that at all. In general there are more people looking for a television oriented media consumption device for all manner of streaming services and maybe even apps. Gaming is just an additional benefit for those so inclined in a casual manner. There is no need to make one "to handle games you'd see on the PS4 or Xbone". These devices are also evolving yearly, so the cost and performance will scale over time to be more powerful and cheaper, but still catering to casual use

I guess what I mean is, why not have the addition of a second box that is catered to people who would buy a console as an option? Since casual users are more inclined to buy the Fire TV as a means of consuming entertainment, and if they already have a controller designed, I say why not?

It's why I like the idea of an Xbox mini streaming box for entertainment while the Xbone exists along side it.

EDIT: The Fire TV can still be its own thing, but I want the makers of these streaming boxes to make more serious boxes if they are gonna include games on the list of things they offer.

Struct09

Glad they announced this before I got a chance to preorder a new Apple TV. I like Amazon's marketplace better, the FireTV supports Xbox controllers, and it's cheaper. Just preordered the $100 package.

Josh5890

Looks good but it doesn't do anything for me that I don't already have with my consoles besides Sling TV. (And I don't know how much longer I will have that)

Just noticed on the co.uk website you only get ducktales as the bonus game, and no included controller bundle so you have to fork out £40 for the new controller...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So it's powered by MT8173 (a SoC of the class of A8) and comes with a controller and expandable storage?
Hey apple, are you taking notes?

On a sidenote, A72's geekbench (@1.57GHz) score is 1698 single-core and 3050 dual-core (link)

At 2GHz that should translate to 2163 single-core and 3885 dual-core. Not bad, not bad.

THE-JUV

how doe this machine compare to the nvidia shield android TV? it has more memory and is $60 cheaper, might have to get one next time i'm in the US instead of the nvidia shield TV

Synless

Do these things not sell? I know far more people who own Fire TVs then anyone with Apple TVs. Anecdotal I know, but still.

Elixist

where the hell is their software? i thought they poached a bunch of talent and im aware there's a team working on pc stuff.

If you could do full Android support for this, I'd be all over this.

What? You can. You can side load any Android app. Whether or not the interface will work with the remote, keyboard, mouse, or controller is another issue, but you can certainly run all Android apps on it. It's the reason Kodi is so easy to get on it.

steveovig

What? You can. You can side load any Android app. Whether or not the interface will work with the remote, keyboard, mouse, or controller is another issue, but you can certainly run all Android apps on it. It's the reason Kodi is so easy to get on it.

I didn't realize that. I just want to play some of the games like DQ, etc., since I don't actually own a smart phone.

Naminator

Banned
Can only tell me how the Free content(TV channels and stuff) of Amazon Fire TV compares to something like a Roku 3?

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but thats not what I'm interested in.

Wag

Netflix 4k and Amazon 4k streaming require HDCP 2.2 support that's why. The real question is if it supports HDMI 2.0a, which will support HDR.

Top Bottom